Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1070442 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Everybody agrees masks help dax, you don't have to die on the hill, the war is already won.
Piss off, Phil

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Hell yeah dax!

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It seems pretty easy. You got it, okay where did you go the past 1 to 14 days? Who did you talk to? Call them and have them tested. Keep going until no more positives in that chain.

Which entity is going to do it?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Everybody agrees masks help dax, you don't have to die on the hill, the war is already won.
Piss off, Phil

Dax really hates when his opinion is that of those he hates. Congrats on being on the right side of an issue dax, glad to have you.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
It seems pretty easy. You got it, okay where did you go the past 1 to 14 days? Who did you talk to? Call them and have them tested. Keep going until no more positives in that chain.

County/city health departments with beefed up staff?  Seems like a good way to employ those on furlough. Hell I could see people volunteering to help.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

County/city health departments with beefed up staff?  Seems like a good way to employ those on furlough. Hell I could see people volunteering to help.
Yeah. The local health departments should execute but there needs to be funding and coordination from the state and federal levels. I think a big issue is going to be interstate travel, especially when some states are more responsive and restrictive than others.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Piss off, Phil

Dax really hates when his opinion is that of those he hates. Congrats on being on the right side of an issue dax, glad to have you.

Oh Phil, don't be all mad because I call you a drama boy . . . which you are.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Could go in the MAGA/Q thread as well

https://twitter.com/michaeldoudna/status/1257049515946725376

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Could go in the MAGA/Q thread as well

https://twitter.com/michaeldoudna/status/1257049515946725376

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducebag is a Dumb-a-crap

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Piss off, Phil

Oh Phil, don't be all mad because I call you a drama boy . . . which you are.
1 million infections, 70k dead. Phil you are so dramatic.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think you lose people when you say crap like “this virus is like sticking your finger in an electric socket”  but that’s just my opinion.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
as best as i can tell via twitter and the news, this seems to be true.

i don't think it is due to any feature of american identity, i just think that no one on the national stage has articulated a plan or even a goal describing what what we hope to accomplish and how.  in the absence of that, it seems entirely reasonable to me that people would be tiring of a lockdown whose purpose is unclear.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1257084449285640194
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think you lose people when you say crap like “this virus is like sticking your finger in an electric socket”  but that’s just my opinion.

I think medical professionals would gain support if more horror stories were told. In whatever way is effective.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

i don't think it is due to any feature of american identity, i just think that no one on the national stage has articulated a plan or even a goal describing what what we hope to accomplish and how.  in the absence of that, it seems entirely reasonable to me that people would be tiring of a lockdown whose purpose is unclear.

It is going to be remembered as Trump’s biggest failure and something he absolutely had complete control over, but his messaging has been completely abysmal. It was so bad his own team pulled him because it was actively hurting his re-election chances. Total crap show.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It is going to be remembered as Trump’s biggest failure and something he absolutely had complete control over, but his messaging has been completely abysmal. It was so bad his own team pulled him because it was actively hurting his re-election chances. Total crap show.
I agree Trump completely failed, but imo the CDC (and other federal entities) have failed independent of Trump, starting with the early mask guidance and rejecting the WHO test and continuing to God knows what they're doing now.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I mean can they blame Trump for all of this?

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1256387804319416321

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't think this has been discussed here but Quest Diagnostics are now giving antibody tests at their 2000 locations, any of you get it or planning to get it done? I was excited when I found out about it but I can't justify paying $130, especially given we know little about what having antibodies means.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I agree Trump completely failed, but imo the CDC (and other federal entities) have failed independent of Trump, starting with the early mask guidance and rejecting the WHO test and continuing to God knows what they're doing now.

Yeah it is really early and who knows what really happened, that said:

1) CDC test eff up
2) Lack of a clear plan communicated to the public at any stage coupled with Trump’s completely insane and terrible public comments
4) Airbridge (criminal, uncleat evidence of deaths associated by this fraud, this low because I think earlier eff ups allowed this to happen exacerbated the problems)
5) Better CDC/Trump foresight on the potential for this to be devastating, shutting down earlier.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I posted this article earlier, and we're not talking about it as we should.   

Dr. Fauci is renowned for his work on the HIV/AIDS crisis in the 1990s. Born in Brooklyn, he graduated first in his class from Cornell University Medical College in 1966. As head of NIAID since 1984, he has served as an adviser to every U.S. president since Ronald Reagan.

A decade ago, during a controversy over gain-of-function research on bird-flu viruses, Dr. Fauci played an important role in promoting the work. He argued that the research was worth the risk it entailed because it enables scientists to make preparations, such as investigating possible anti-viral medications, that could be useful if and when a pandemic occurred.

The work in question was a type of gain-of-function research that involved taking wild viruses and passing them through live animals until they mutate into a form that could pose a pandemic threat. Scientists used it to take a virus that was poorly transmitted among humans and make it into one that was highly transmissible—a hallmark of a pandemic virus. This work was done by infecting a series of ferrets, allowing the virus to mutate until a ferret that hadn't been deliberately infected contracted the disease.

The work entailed risks that worried even seasoned researchers. More than 200 scientists called for the work to be halted. The problem, they said, is that it increased the likelihood that a pandemic would occur through a laboratory accident.

Dr. Fauci defended the work. "[D]etermining the molecular Achilles' heel of these viruses can allow scientists to identify novel antiviral drug targets that could be used to prevent infection in those at risk or to better treat those who become infected," wrote Fauci and two co-authors in the Washington Post on December 30, 2011. "Decades of experience tells us that disseminating information gained through biomedical research to legitimate scientists and health officials provides a critical foundation for generating appropriate countermeasures and, ultimately, protecting the public health."

Nevertheless, in 2014, under pressure from the Obama administration, the National of Institutes of Health instituted a moratorium on the work, suspending 21 studies.

Three years later, though—in December 2017—the NIH ended the moratorium and the second phase of the NIAID project, which included the gain-of-function research, began. The NIH established a framework for determining how the research would go forward: scientists have to get approval from a panel of experts, who would decide whether the risks were justified.

The reviews were indeed conducted—but in secret, for which the NIH has drawn criticism. In early 2019, after a reporter for Science magazine discovered that the NIH had approved two influenza research projects that used gain of function methods, scientists who oppose this kind of research excoriated the NIH in an editorial in the Washington Post.

"We have serious doubts about whether these experiments should be conducted at all," wrote Tom Inglesby of Johns Hopkins University and Marc Lipsitch of Harvard. "[W]ith deliberations kept behind closed doors, none of us will have the opportunity to understand how the government arrived at these decisions or to judge the rigor and integrity of that process."

IMO, Fauci needs to be sidelined.  But Useful Idiot will absolutely lose their crap, as usual, so it probably won't happen.

https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-backed-controversial-wuhan-lab-millions-us-dollars-risky-coronavirus-research-1500741

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I kinda think Fauci is better at telling presidents and Congress what they want to hear to advance his career than the actual science stuff. I could be wrong but I remember that 60 Minutes interview from like 2009 where he was predicting a pandemic like this and it's like wtf have you been doing all this time?

I don't think sidelining him now is the right move though

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Fauci and Brix have a huge piece in this failure.

What s clusterfuck.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
I kinda think Fauci is better at telling presidents and Congress what they want to hear to advance his career than the actual science stuff.

that's true of everyone at that stage of their career.  scientists peak in knowledge/research capacity in their final year of grad school and everything subsequent is graduated decline.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I kinda think Fauci is better at telling presidents and Congress what they want to hear to advance his career than the actual science stuff.

that's true of everyone at that stage of their career.  scientists peak in knowledge/research capacity in their final year of grad school and everything subsequent is graduated decline.

I wasn't really referring to specific research when I said "science stuff", but more to leading an effective scientific/medical organization.