Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1102820 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Bro/Corona Meltdown/Corona Model Guessers
« Reply #8750 on: July 25, 2020, 01:21:05 PM »
Texas rules

https://twitter.com/frankluntz/status/1286685649467105280

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to REALLY dig to figure out what county this is even talking about. Looks like Starr County. Largest city: Rio Grande City.

The words Starr County were the first two words of the second sentence. Has twitter made us so lazy that it's become a chore to read attached articles? Even just the lede?

Anyway, yes Starr County is small but things like this were always the concern for rural counties. My question is are there no icu beds in surrounding larger cities like Laredo, McAllen, and Brownsville?

Lazy? You’d be hard pressed to find even the most academic of academia that can get away with simply referring to a source without adequately describing the information cited. The vagueness is specifically because of the Twitter era where clicks are more important than content.

To your question, I assume that if the hospital is overburdened then they don’t have the resources to be busing people across county lines. As far as I know, the individuals would still be able to seek out hospitals with available beds.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Corona Bro/Corona Meltdown/Corona Model Guessers
« Reply #8751 on: July 25, 2020, 01:25:04 PM »
no.  i think there's a better than 50% chance that some sort of vaccine will be in some sort of availability.
I’m sure SD would take the action if you want to place odds since you think it’s a number more than 50 but less than 100.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 01:28:29 PM by catastrophe »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: July 25, 2020, 01:52:17 PM »
Texas rules

https://twitter.com/frankluntz/status/1286685649467105280

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to REALLY dig to figure out what county this is even talking about. Looks like Starr County. Largest city: Rio Grande City.

The words Starr County were the first two words of the second sentence. Has twitter made us so lazy that it's become a chore to read attached articles? Even just the lede?

Anyway, yes Starr County is small but things like this were always the concern for rural counties. My question is are there no icu beds in surrounding larger cities like Laredo, McAllen, and Brownsville?

Lazy? You’d be hard pressed to find even the most academic of academia that can get away with simply referring to a source without adequately describing the information cited. The vagueness is specifically because of the Twitter era where clicks are more important than content.

To your question, I assume that if the hospital is overburdened then they don’t have the resources to be busing people across county lines. As far as I know, the individuals would still be able to seek out hospitals with available beds.

The click is important because clicking on that article gets them paid. Your obligation to receiving that information isn't actually paying for it but making a micro motion with your right index finger. If you don't want to call not wanting to actually read two sentences of an article to get the information you want lazy, that's fine, if it isn't lazy, it's definitely entitled.

As far as the actual issue at hand, not coordinating care between these hospitals and locales is a failure. Rural hospitals shipping patients they can't care for has happened as long as any of us have been alive. If someone needs to be placed in an ICU they need medical transport not someone's car, ambulances and medical helicopters, especially rurally are subsidized by local governments. Here in Iowa, some of the rural counties are at capacity and Des Moines hospitals are getting patients from as far as two hours away. Someone in Texas needs to step in before they use death panels, that seems unnecessary and hopefully a hollow threat.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8753 on: July 25, 2020, 02:00:23 PM »
Yeah I won’t debate it any further if we’re both already in agreement that it’s clickbait.

And agreed obviously it’s a failure of the system if there is no available resources to get these folks care other than sending them home to fend for themselves.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8754 on: July 25, 2020, 02:06:27 PM »
Yeah I won’t debate it any further if we’re both already in agreement that it’s clickbait.

And agreed obviously it’s a failure of the system if there is no available resources to get these folks care other than sending them home to fend for themselves.

WTF? That isn't clickbait. Don't respond, I don't care, but a newspaper not giving away the content of an article in a tweet isn't clickbait. That's really rough ridin' stupid.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: July 25, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
Not responding. Just so we can be on the same page: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clickbait

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8756 on: July 25, 2020, 02:22:11 PM »
I want to be clear on your point then I won't post about it again. Are you contending that when newspapers tweet out links to a story that they should include enough info in the tweets that you don't have to actually read the corresponding articles?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: July 25, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
News outlets (and those linking their stories) should include enough information so that people do not feel the need to click in order to discover whether they or their families are in immediate danger.

I don’t mind if you entice people to keep reading for details, but the “find out whether you are one of those at risk” line for monetary gain is unethical in my book.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: July 25, 2020, 02:39:53 PM »
News outlets (and those linking their stories) should include enough information so that people do not feel the need to click in order to discover whether they or their families are in immediate danger.

I don’t mind if you entice people to keep reading for details, but the “find out whether you are one of those at risk” line for monetary gain is unethical in my book.
Bullshit. Reporting isn’t free, pay for it
:adios:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8759 on: July 25, 2020, 02:40:18 PM »
By clicking and seeing the ad

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8760 on: July 25, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
Who cares dudes

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: July 25, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »

Very melodramatic and dishonest. This isn't news about an approaching tornado and it isn't behind a paywall.

Who cares dudes

I care, a lot. It's rough enough for the industry these days, now we have people who think because twitter exists that they are entitled to information, not just for free, but at the expense of people tasked with doing the work of finding the information. It's next level entitlement.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: July 25, 2020, 06:29:17 PM »

Very melodramatic and dishonest. This isn't news about an approaching tornado and it isn't behind a paywall.

Who cares dudes

I care, a lot. It's rough enough for the industry these days, now we have people who think because twitter exists that they are entitled to information, not just for free, but at the expense of people tasked with doing the work of finding the information. It's next level entitlement.
:thumbs:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: July 25, 2020, 09:40:29 PM »

Who cares dudes

:jerk:

Yellow journalism has been around longer than me, much less Twitter.  It's just mainly moved to link titles in the social media age. I don't doubt it helps them keep the lights on, but I'll call it out when I see it.

FTR I would have read the article even if they included the county name in the headline.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: July 25, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »
Also FTR - most of the big players in news typically behind a paywall have been providing coronavirus coverage for free.  I guess we can speculate on the motive.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: July 26, 2020, 03:20:04 AM »

Who cares dudes

:jerk:

Yellow journalism has been around longer than me, much less Twitter.  It's just mainly moved to link titles in the social media age. I don't doubt it helps them keep the lights on, but I'll call it out when I see it.

FTR I would have read the article even if they included the county name in the headline.

It's also not yellow journalism, you're not using that phrase correctly. Yellow Journalism is referring to sensationalizing or exaggerating stories. If your complaint was that the tweet didn't give you enough information, it can't at the same time be sensationalized.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: July 26, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »
It's almost like a patchwork of reopening rules doesn't work. Spain proving it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/23/world/europe/spain-coronavirus-reopening.html

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: July 26, 2020, 12:33:22 PM »
I-65 South and North Saturday report.

First off, huge mistake getting on that road on a Saturday in July.

Jammed:

Tenn-Thousands

Iowa-Thousands

MO-Thousands

IN-Thousands

Ohio-Thousands

IL-Thousands

KY-Thousands

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: July 26, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »
I-65 South and North Saturday report.

First off, huge mistake getting on that road on a Saturday in July.

Jammed:

Tenn-Thousands

Iowa-Thousands

MO-Thousands

IN-Thousands

Ohio-Thousands

IL-Thousands

KY-Thousands
America travels in the summer. Great post dax!

It's why we need a coordinated response.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: July 26, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
Today is a Feds should control everything day for Phil

Federalism:  Hit the showers!

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: July 26, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »

I've already addressed this nonsensical point you fail at trying to me.  So lt's hear your ideas bud or is this just another shitpost day where you don't make any points?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: July 26, 2020, 01:25:29 PM »

Let's hear your ideas bud or is this just another shitpost day where you don't make any points?
Remember how dummies like you were losing your crap about the South and I was talking about how the rust belt was invading?    Now it’s “Americans travel in the summer”. 

There’s only one recourse. Another economically devastating shut down.   

Or, how about those that live in boring ass places just ratchet it back some.   Clearly not ratcheted back.  Traffic bumper to bumper for miles.

It’s also not nonsensical, Phil.  You vacillate between Fed Control and States rights whenever it’s your dumbass political agenda.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: July 26, 2020, 01:31:37 PM »

Let's hear your ideas bud or is this just another shitpost day where you don't make any points?
Remember how dummies like you were losing your crap about the South and I was talking about how the rust belt was invading?    Now it’s “Americans travel in the summer”. 

There’s only one recourse. Another economically devastating shut down.   

Or, how about those that live in boring ass places just ratchet it back some.   Clearly not ratcheted back.  Traffic bumper to bumper for miles.

It’s also not nonsensical, Phil.  You vacillate between Fed Control and States rights whenever it’s your dumbass political agenda.
Long way for a weird Alabama flex. Happy you found a place you are so proud!

Quarantine dumbasses headed down there if you think that's the problem.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: July 26, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »
globally you see a similar pattern as has developed by state within the united states.  few places getting completely crushed, but lots of places seeing moderate increases that all add up.

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1287452113891725313
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."