Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1069483 times)

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Corona Bro/Corona Meltdown/Corona Model Guessers
« Reply #7275 on: May 27, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »
I just looked at that kansas news, and specifically sedgwick co., and it's the wild west now.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7276 on: May 27, 2020, 04:35:41 PM »
I just looked at that kansas news, and specifically sedgwick co., and it's the wild west now.

"recommending" to still follow the guidance  :pray:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7277 on: May 27, 2020, 04:51:17 PM »
you are obsessed with this study but pretty much every nice restaurant I've been to has as many people piled on top of each other as possible.

That might be because you live in a place with insanely overpriced real estate.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7278 on: May 27, 2020, 04:53:42 PM »
you are obsessed with this study but pretty much every nice restaurant I've been to has as many people piled on top of each other as possible.

definitely. Also because I actually have class and go to classy establishments unlike most of you losers! :cool:

(j/k)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7279 on: May 27, 2020, 05:01:58 PM »

definitely. Also because I actually have class and go to classy establishments unlike most of you losers! :cool:

(j/k)
How about we city folk all laugh at the losers who are eating at their spread out Longhorn Steakhouse with plenty of room!

Jk

But agree on nicer restaurants generally packing more people in
:adios:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #7280 on: May 27, 2020, 05:18:54 PM »
UV traps... You'd have to install an insanely large amount of UV bulbs to do anything to the airstream. Cost and space prohibitive in most applications. You're better off using a bipolar ion plasma generator or an oxidizer plus some higher end filtration, MERV 16 or HEPA.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7281 on: May 27, 2020, 05:24:33 PM »
UV traps... You'd have to install an insanely large amount of UV bulbs to do anything to the airstream. Cost and space prohibitive in most applications. You're better off using a bipolar ion plasma generator or an oxidizer plus some higher end filtration, MERV 16 or HEPA.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

don't airplanes have hepa filters? I don't think there's been documented superspreading events on planes. Seems like those would be fairly straightforward to contact trace, too.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7282 on: May 27, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »

(j/k)

Just buy out the nice cramped restaurant so you have an appropriate secluded non cramped dine out experience.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7283 on: May 27, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »
not good

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7284 on: May 27, 2020, 05:49:06 PM »
I don't think we'll see another New York/NJ. I saw the analogy of a frog boiling which is what I expect is more likely unless we throw the doors open to indoor crowds or something.

Like what is happening in California and North Carolina

(Again I think this is showing that shelter in place alone won't stamp it out in any way shape or form)
That graph for North Carolina is kind of junky under the circumstances.  They had a big test dump on saturday where they released more than double the amount of results in any previous day, which obviously messes with the 7 day average.

Likewise, California has had almost 180k tests combined in the last three days, which is significantly higher than they've ever been before. 

No graph is perfect, but both states were trending upwards before the test dumps, so I don't think they're "junky", and they certainly don't invalidate the point I'm trying to make, that they aren't spiking and certainly aren't going down. I get that you want to tie any increases in positive cases purely to test increases, but there are quite a few states seeing huge test increases but fewer positive cases, especially New York and most of the Northeast.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/peter.james.walker#!/vizhome/Coronavirus-ChangeovertimeintheUSA/0_Home

you're also seeing an uptick in CA and NC hospitalizations

https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19PublicDashboard/Covid-19Hospitals?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=no&%3AshowVizHome=no

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/
Looking at day-to-day (or even 7 day average) of raw positive rates is dumb when you have outlier testing days like the NC and CA datasets in the graph.  Maybe people are getting sick at a greater rate, maybe not.  Whatever the answer is, that line chart doesn't tell us.

Re. California: From -21 to -3, you had a 7 day average somewhere between 40 and 50.  Then, on -2 to -0 (5/24-26), you see a jump from 50 to 60.  That's a 20 percent increase!  It's more than coincidental that California tested 180,000 over those three days. 

The same goes for North Carolina.  They reported 1100 new cases (they previously hadn't reported more than 900) on a day when they more than doubled any other testing day they've had.  Of course numbers are going to go up when you double testing output, and when you're using a 7 day average, those numbers are going to permeate the other days that touches that data point for the 7 day average.

You can see this in the 7 day rolling averages of percent positives.  Per https://public.tableau.com/profile/peter.james.walker#!/vizhome/Coronavirus-ChangeovertimeintheUSA/0_Home, California is currently at about the level they were at on 5/17, and the variance during that timespan has been about 0.2%.  At the end of April, CA's 7 day avg of % positive was at 7.  Maybe the 0.2% uptick means the virus is spreading.  Maybe it's just wavelike noise that's accompanied California's drop in % positive throughout the last month.  Who knows?  Not me. 

NC's 7 day rolling avg for % positive is as low as it's ever been (at least as low as the site you linked goes back).

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7285 on: May 27, 2020, 05:52:03 PM »
In terms of hospitalizations, any data on what level of care?

Any data on what other services the hospital(s) is or is not providing?

How many staff layoffs from non Covid-19 areas of practice?

Any data on who is on medicare/medicaid?

Just saw an article talking about the over 100K dead but in the headline it said many of the people where never tested.  How can you declare a cause of death without ever determining the actual disease/medical issue that killed the person?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7286 on: May 27, 2020, 05:53:58 PM »
Guys, I hate to break it to you but this thing is really petering out.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7287 on: May 27, 2020, 05:59:47 PM »
1259 today.  Pretty strange to still see a drop from last wednesday -- given the suspiciously low numbers from the last several days.  Really expected somewhere in the range of 1500-1600+.  If we don't see a big time correction over the next day or two, then I think we're dropping significantly faster than we have been.

7 day average is now at 982.  Down 25 percent from a week ago.  Down 38 percent from 2 weeks ago.  And down 53 percent from the peak.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7288 on: May 27, 2020, 06:13:41 PM »
I don't think we'll see another New York/NJ. I saw the analogy of a frog boiling which is what I expect is more likely unless we throw the doors open to indoor crowds or something.

Like what is happening in California and North Carolina

(Again I think this is showing that shelter in place alone won't stamp it out in any way shape or form)
That graph for North Carolina is kind of junky under the circumstances.  They had a big test dump on saturday where they released more than double the amount of results in any previous day, which obviously messes with the 7 day average.

Likewise, California has had almost 180k tests combined in the last three days, which is significantly higher than they've ever been before. 

No graph is perfect, but both states were trending upwards before the test dumps, so I don't think they're "junky", and they certainly don't invalidate the point I'm trying to make, that they aren't spiking and certainly aren't going down. I get that you want to tie any increases in positive cases purely to test increases, but there are quite a few states seeing huge test increases but fewer positive cases, especially New York and most of the Northeast.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/peter.james.walker#!/vizhome/Coronavirus-ChangeovertimeintheUSA/0_Home

you're also seeing an uptick in CA and NC hospitalizations

https://public.tableau.com/views/COVID-19PublicDashboard/Covid-19Hospitals?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=no&%3AshowVizHome=no

https://covid19.ncdhhs.gov/dashboard/
Looking at day-to-day (or even 7 day average) of raw positive rates is dumb when you have outlier testing days like the NC and CA datasets in the graph.  Maybe people are getting sick at a greater rate, maybe not.  Whatever the answer is, that line chart doesn't tell us.

Re. California: From -21 to -3, you had a 7 day average somewhere between 40 and 50.  Then, on -2 to -0 (5/24-26), you see a jump from 50 to 60.  That's a 20 percent increase!  It's more than coincidental that California tested 180,000 over those three days. 

The same goes for North Carolina.  They reported 1100 new cases (they previously hadn't reported more than 900) on a day when they more than doubled any other testing day they've had.  Of course numbers are going to go up when you double testing output, and when you're using a 7 day average, those numbers are going to permeate the other days that touches that data point for the 7 day average.

You can see this in the 7 day rolling averages of percent positives.  Per https://public.tableau.com/profile/peter.james.walker#!/vizhome/Coronavirus-ChangeovertimeintheUSA/0_Home, California is currently at about the level they were at on 5/17, and the variance during that timespan has been about 0.2%.  At the end of April, CA's 7 day avg of % positive was at 7.  Maybe the 0.2% uptick means the virus is spreading.  Maybe it's just wavelike noise that's accompanied California's drop in % positive throughout the last month.  Who knows?  Not me. 

NC's 7 day rolling avg for % positive is as low as it's ever been (at least as low as the site you linked goes back).

Testing is increasing everywhere but positive cases aren't increasing at similar rates everywhere. It isn't a stretch to assume that states with increasing cases and increasing tests are doing worse than states with decreasing positives and increasing tests. I mean you can just look at the graphs and see that California and North Carolina are trending worse than Georgia and New York despite increased positives in all. And remember, my points with these graphs were:

1) we probably won't see spikes like we saw early, but we can still see slow increases
2) shelter in place orders don't appear to be particularly effective beyond avoiding the crazy New York style spikes

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7289 on: May 27, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
long post and graphs
I think there's an element of diminishing returns for testing increases for places like NY -- which is testing far more than places like CA/GA on a per capita basis. 

The key variable is the percentage of cases that exist that aren't being caught via testing.  The greater that percentage is, the greater correlation you'll see between growth in testing and new case (even if % positive remains the same).  Which is what I'm expecting is the case in CA/NC.

Given NYC's already high (and longstanding) testing capacity, I would expect further growth in testing to be less tied to the new case number than would places with relatively lower per capita testing (like CA/NC).  If CA had NY's per capita testing capacity and we were seeing growth in the CA case numbers, I think that would be bad sign.

I think Georgia's numbers are kind of messed because of the antibody testing.  I saw they just tossed 75k test data points because of that, so God knows how to analyze their numbers.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7290 on: May 27, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »
long post and graphs
I think there's an element of diminishing returns for testing increases for places like NY -- which is testing far more than places like CA/GA on a per capita basis. 

The key variable is the percentage of cases that exist that aren't being caught via testing.  The greater that percentage is, the greater correlation you'll see between growth in testing and new case (even if % positive remains the same).  Which is what I'm expecting is the case in CA/NC.

Given NYC's already high (and longstanding) testing capacity, I would expect further growth in testing to be less tied to the new case number than would places with relatively lower per capita testing (like CA/NC).  If CA had NY's per capita testing capacity and we were seeing growth in the CA case numbers, I think that would be bad sign.

I think Georgia's numbers are kind of messed because of the antibody testing.  I saw they just tossed 75k test data points because of that, so God knows how to analyze their numbers.

I understand all that, and it doesn't invalidate any of the points I was making

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7291 on: May 27, 2020, 09:38:57 PM »
fair enough.  I’m just saying that new case line graphs are crap in most cases

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7292 on: May 27, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »
They're no single day death total, that's for sure

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7293 on: May 27, 2020, 10:51:26 PM »
I’ll shut up about your reliance on raw new case numbers. 

As for daily death numbers, I like marking our progress (or at least the decline of the virus).  This progress certainly wasn’t a given at the start of the month (especially without significant govt intervention), so watching it play out has been a huge relief.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:04:49 PM by DQ12 »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7294 on: May 28, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »
I’ll shut up about your reliance on raw new case numbers. 

As for daily death numbers, I like marking our progress (or at least the decline of the virus).  This progress certainly wasn’t a given at the start of the month (especially without significant govt intervention), so watching it play out has been a huge relief.

Let's hope it continues as any impacts from loosening of stay at home orders start to reveal. Death numbers are obviously the most lagging of all.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7295 on: May 28, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »
maverick Tim Kaine tested positive for antibodies. I like his explanation for why he'll continue to wear a mask - "it shows those around you that you care about them"

https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1266018561572646912

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7296 on: May 28, 2020, 10:33:52 AM »
the rockhurst HS motto is "men for others"

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7297 on: May 28, 2020, 12:30:39 PM »
KCMO going to 50% capacity for businesses this weekend until July 5th for all non and essential businesses.  Hopefully moving to 75%-100% after that assuming things go well.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7299 on: May 28, 2020, 10:37:53 PM »
this is unbelievably sad.

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1266178360562126848

What's sad is every kind of Christian thinks Trump is on their side.  He doesn't give a crap about them, he just wants their vote as he pretends to be Christian.  He doesn't care if they gather and the end result is they die, exact same reason he wanted Easter back on.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f