Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1068007 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks China (and Canada) . . . Topic: CoronaVirus!
« Reply #2676 on: March 27, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »
Just asking questions https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-should-the-government-spend-to-save-a-life

Yep.  What it comes down to is how much you value the lives saved and how many deaths you actually think you are avoiding.  In the paper the article references, the value to saving 1.7 million people is $8 trillion.  The estimate of lives saved is based on the Imperial College report,  which is an extremely pessimistic view of the number of deaths due to coronavirus.  They also give a $10 million valuation to each life saved, which is extremely high given the population being saved.

I'd discount the number lives saved by a minimum of 50% due simply to disagreement on the mortality rate, not to mention all of the other variables.  I'd also discount the value of each life being saved by a minimum of 50% as well.  The 37% mentioned in the article does not adjust for the comorbidities of those that are dying from the coronavirus.

So given that, I'm putting the value of lives saved at a maximum of $2 trillion.  The recent stimulus cost $2.2 trillion.  If these social distancing policies last until October 1, as I believe the paper assumes, the cost is going to be multiples of $2.2 trillion.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: March 27, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-are-worried-about-the-coronavirus-theyre-even-more-worried-about-the-economy/?cid=referral_taboola_feed

The fact that more Americans are worried about the effect of the coronavirus on the economy than about their own health may put pressure on politicians to kickstart the economy, making it harder for public health officials to push for preventive measures like social distancing.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: March 27, 2020, 07:04:29 PM »
Just asking questions https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-should-the-government-spend-to-save-a-life

Yep.  What it comes down to is how much you value the lives saved and how many deaths you actually think you are avoiding.  In the paper the article references, the value to saving 1.7 million people is $8 trillion.  The estimate of lives saved is based on the Imperial College report,  which is an extremely pessimistic view of the number of deaths due to coronavirus.  They also give a $10 million valuation to each life saved, which is extremely high given the population being saved.

I'd discount the number lives saved by a minimum of 50% due simply to disagreement on the mortality rate, not to mention all of the other variables.  I'd also discount the value of each life being saved by a minimum of 50% as well.  The 37% mentioned in the article does not adjust for the comorbidities of those that are dying from the coronavirus.

So given that, I'm putting the value of lives saved at a maximum of $2 trillion.  The recent stimulus cost $2.2 trillion.  If these social distancing policies last until October 1, as I believe the paper assumes, the cost is going to be multiples of $2.2 trillion.

Don’t you think it is just slightly presumptuous that you assume you can model pandemics better than epidemiologists? I get that you want to be responsive to new data, but saying “if we did nothing we wouldn’t really have had x number of deaths is pretty different.”

Also, what would the costs have been for “doing nothing?” Haven’t seen you give a good answer to that.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: March 27, 2020, 07:27:18 PM »

Don’t you think it is just slightly presumptuous that you assume you can model pandemics better than epidemiologists? I get that you want to be responsive to new data, but saying “if we did nothing we wouldn’t really have had x number of deaths is pretty different.”

Also, what would the costs have been for “doing nothing?” Haven’t seen you give a good answer to that.

It's not that I think I can model better, but I can look at the assumptions made, and decide what I think is the best estimate for different assumptions.  The CFR used in the Imperial College study is 0.9%, which I think is much too high.  I think the CFR is 0.1 - 0.5%.  Also, there are other models out there besides the Imperial College one, but all of the advocates for shutting the economy down like to use it because it paints such a dire picture.  If the Imperial College model's estimates of deaths is on the high end of the models out there, I tend to think that the most likely outcome is not that high then.  Lastly, I do actually know how to model health issues and I am well-versed in biology, economics, medicine, comparative health outcomes and health policy.

I think the economic cost from doing nothing would not be that high.  People have shown that they don't feel all that threatened by the coronavirus.  Otherwise, the lockdown orders would not be necessary.  Maybe $300 billion?  The main costs would be people that can't get healthcare due to overwhelmed hospitals, but those people are already assumed into the analyses.

I also think hospitals will be overwhelmed either way, so there are going to be people that can't get healthcare even with social distancing.  I think this is missed in the studies.  I also think hospitals will be overwhelmed for longer with social distancing since everything will take longer than doing nothing.  I don't think the curve can actually get flattened enough for hospitals to not be overwhelmed.  The best comparison I can make is that it doesn't matter if you drown in 1 foot of water or 10 feet of water.  If hospitals are drowning in 1 foot of water for a long time, that means they won't really be able to serve other patients for a long time.  If they drown in 10 feet of water for a shorter period of time, they will be able to serve more patients once they are no longer drowning.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: March 27, 2020, 07:42:29 PM »
Offer $500b to first person/company with proven cure and/or vaccine.  Expires 3/30 at midnight

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: March 27, 2020, 07:48:13 PM »

Adam - Heeee Heeeee why can’t my wife cut my hair? I can’t get a haircut Heeee Heeeeeee.

Tucker - that’s a really good point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: March 27, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
I listen to carolla’s podcast.  He and dr. Drew both scoffed at any possibility of over 100k cases.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: March 27, 2020, 07:57:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/joshrogin/status/1243662199022813184

You can follow the numbers in every other industrialized country to know they absolutely lied about their numbers. Again, there is literally no way they had less deaths than Italy and Spain. Those countries had months to prepare, China didn't. How many people died before they even realized what was happening? They were physically forcing people in their houses 2 months after it was discovered. How many people died that they locked in their houses? How many people died that they forced into jail well after the disease spread? There were giant outbreaks in Europe and North America but not in Shanghai and Beijing?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: March 27, 2020, 08:54:19 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: March 27, 2020, 09:05:14 PM »

It's not that I think I can model better, but I can look at the assumptions made, and decide what I think is the best estimate for different assumptions.  The CFR used in the Imperial College study is 0.9%, which I think is much too high.  I think the CFR is 0.1 - 0.5%.  Also, there are other models out there besides the Imperial College one, but all of the advocates for shutting the economy down like to use it because it paints such a dire picture.  If the Imperial College model's estimates of deaths is on the high end of the models out there, I tend to think that the most likely outcome is not that high then.  Lastly, I do actually know how to model health issues and I am well-versed in biology, economics, medicine, comparative health outcomes and health policy.

I think the economic cost from doing nothing would not be that high.  People have shown that they don't feel all that threatened by the coronavirus.  Otherwise, the lockdown orders would not be necessary.  Maybe $300 billion?  The main costs would be people that can't get healthcare due to overwhelmed hospitals, but those people are already assumed into the analyses.

I also think hospitals will be overwhelmed either way, so there are going to be people that can't get healthcare even with social distancing.  I think this is missed in the studies.  I also think hospitals will be overwhelmed for longer with social distancing since everything will take longer than doing nothing.  I don't think the curve can actually get flattened enough for hospitals to not be overwhelmed.  The best comparison I can make is that it doesn't matter if you drown in 1 foot of water or 10 feet of water.  If hospitals are drowning in 1 foot of water for a long time, that means they won't really be able to serve other patients for a long time.  If they drown in 10 feet of water for a shorter period of time, they will be able to serve more psatients once they are no longer drowning.

You raise some good points about the CFR. Here is one of the authors of the study (himself infected in the UK) responding to new data. https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason.com/2020/03/27/no-british-epidemiologist-neil-ferguson-has-not-drastically-downgraded-his-worst-case-projection-of-covid-19-deaths/%3ffbclid=IwAR1Wgchy6DdE7Mcd7ZIW4qwT5lp-eUg2txkb1sST8OGXo5eG0rjPDVdDOLI&amp

I think there are just too many uncertainties with what happens to this virus in the medium term (3-12 months) to dismiss the modeling that assumes another spike after the lifting of social distancing.

Your point about people being ordered to stay at home is true enough, but modeling out the government response in the Imperial college case gave pretty specific effects for each of the interventions, it is much harder to model some big assumptions or unknowns but it is pretty impossible to imagine that everything just carries on like normal in the face of a mass pandemic without any government intervention and in the face of the entire rest of the world doing the same intervention and trying to be the outlier it is all academic even on its own terms, how many supply chains or lack of demand from global trading partners would mean you aren’t realizing much benefit of keeping your economy producing at the same levels anyway?

I just don’t see those considerations being made, but maybe you’ve already plugged them in.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: March 27, 2020, 09:15:36 PM »

Articles stated "Multiply that by $9 million or $10 million and we’re talking about up to $20 trillion as the value of preventing those deaths. That suggests it’s worth expending a fair amount of our resources to mitigate this.”

You're off by $18 trillion, but you do what you want with your VSL
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: March 27, 2020, 09:47:51 PM »
I also think hospitals will be overwhelmed either way, so there are going to be people that can't get healthcare even with social distancing.  I think this is missed in the studies.  I also think hospitals will be overwhelmed for longer with social distancing since everything will take longer than doing nothing.  I don't think the curve can actually get flattened enough for hospitals to not be overwhelmed.  The best comparison I can make is that it doesn't matter if you drown in 1 foot of water or 10 feet of water.  If hospitals are drowning in 1 foot of water for a long time, that means they won't really be able to serve other patients for a long time.  If they drown in 10 feet of water for a shorter period of time, they will be able to serve more patients once they are no longer drowning.

You’re drawing a crazy false equivalence here if you’re suggesting that flattening the curve will result in a similar number of unnecessary deaths because hospitals will be slightly overwhelmed for longer.

But more importantly, what I think you’re still completely ignoring is that in a “rip the bandaid off” type approach, there would be severe economic consequences. Not just that but I think it’s fair to say there would be outright panic among people whose loved ones are dying on the steps of hospitals.

And if you disagree I’d love for you to show me any society that lost close to 2 million citizens (the number you say still wouldn’t justify the measures currently taken) and just kept humming along economically.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2690 on: March 27, 2020, 09:58:10 PM »
Great news, the rapid test has been approved. Abbott will deliver 50,000 a day starting next week.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-27-20-intl-hnk/h_2e02561c478f5a183cb25568a66722b5

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: March 27, 2020, 10:02:40 PM »
Just read about that. Apparently some other rapid tests have had some issues, but hopefully even rushed FDA approval means something. They say they should be able to produce 5 million a month between this and another Abbott labs test.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: March 27, 2020, 11:15:21 PM »
Are we sure that social distancing measures (including closure of gatherings and businesses) are a worst case scenario economy wise?

https://www.vox.com/coronavirus-covid19/2020/3/27/21193879/coronavirus-covid-19-social-distancing-economy-recession-depression

good read

On Thursday, a group of economic luminaries, including the past two Federal Reserve chairs, and chief economists and Treasury secretaries from both Democratic and Republican administrations, released a letter arguing that the path back to a functional economy runs through sound public health measures. “Saving lives and saving the economy are not in conflict right now; we will hasten the return to robust economic activity by taking steps to stem the spread of the virus and save lives,” they wrote.

New research offers historical support for that argument. Economists Sergio Correia, Stephan Luck, and Emil Verner looked at the areas of the United States that were hit hardest by the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. The cities that deployed social distancing measures earliest and most aggressively fared better, on both health and economic measures, than the cities with slower, weaker responses. Social distancing interventions, the authors conclude, “can reduce mortality while at the same time being economically beneficial.”

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: March 27, 2020, 11:24:55 PM »
Have they seen Justin's models?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: March 28, 2020, 03:39:33 AM »
Great news, the rapid test has been approved. Abbott will deliver 50,000 a day starting next week.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-27-20-intl-hnk/h_2e02561c478f5a183cb25568a66722b5

This may actually be the greatest thing since sliced @bread.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: March 28, 2020, 04:03:03 AM »
Are we sure that social distancing measures (including closure of gatherings and businesses) are a worst case scenario economy wise?

https://www.vox.com/coronavirus-covid19/2020/3/27/21193879/coronavirus-covid-19-social-distancing-economy-recession-depression

good read

On Thursday, a group of economic luminaries, including the past two Federal Reserve chairs, and chief economists and Treasury secretaries from both Democratic and Republican administrations, released a letter arguing that the path back to a functional economy runs through sound public health measures. “Saving lives and saving the economy are not in conflict right now; we will hasten the return to robust economic activity by taking steps to stem the spread of the virus and save lives,” they wrote.

New research offers historical support for that argument. Economists Sergio Correia, Stephan Luck, and Emil Verner looked at the areas of the United States that were hit hardest by the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic. The cities that deployed social distancing measures earliest and most aggressively fared better, on both health and economic measures, than the cities with slower, weaker responses. Social distancing interventions, the authors conclude, “can reduce mortality while at the same time being economically beneficial.”

Yeah, and with us now having the ability to do basically everything online and from our phones, as long as people aren’t broke we’ll keep buying stuff. It pisses me off they spent so much on that stimulus and basically gave the people peanuts. Give everyone a living wage ($2000/month or so) and ride this thing is out until it’s over. You could cap it and give less or none to people making $100k or over, but prob not necessary imo.

When it’s over though we better raise the minimum wage to $15/hr or so, because inflation. Gonna have to do that anyway (won’t tho) after the stimulus they passed.

Just spitballing and prob super dumb.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: March 28, 2020, 07:59:43 AM »
So much lol in this, but also some good info, I had to post most of the whole thing. Kobach is a special kind of piece of crap.

TOPEKA — U.S. Senate contender Kris Kobach reached for campaign gold amid the coronavirus pandemic by promising to intensify construction of a border wall to defend the country against illegal immigrants from China who may import deadly viruses.

“Over 12,000 Chinese nationals snuck across the border into the United States last year,” Kobach said in a video fundraising appeal delivered Thursday to potential voters in Kansas. “No checks. No visas. No health screening. In times of global pandemic, borders matter.”

With the economy in free fall and millions of Americans out of work, the Republican candidate working to replace retiring U.S. Sen. Pat Roberts recommended donations ranging from $25 to $2,800. His competitors were on the prowl for contributions, too.

Candidates have been forced to rely on email or social media appeals to generate interest. There is no alternative in the absence of campaign rallies and in-person appearances that were abandoned as the virus found a foothold in the United States.

Republican congressional candidate Adrienne Vallejo Foster, competing in the 3rd District, fired off a lengthy solicitation steeped in opinions about coronavirus. Her message, in brief, was two-fold. First, send money. And, second, Democrats were exploiting the crisis for political advantage.

“That’s worse than partisan. That is sick,” she said. “Will you help me hit my deadline goal?”

U.S. Rep. Sharice Davids, the Democrat defending her 3rd District seat, launched a barrage of online communication since President Donald Trump ordered a 15-day withdrawal from normal commerce and personal interaction to limit damage of COVID-19. She sent out a coronavirus survey, touted federal relief legislation, shared health information and pointed to volunteer opportunities. On Thursday, she also fired off a pair of requests for money.

https://www.thekansan.com/news/20200327/kansas-coronavirus-update-kdhe-expects-crisis-to-peak-in-mid-april-logs-more-than-200-cases-4th-death

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: March 28, 2020, 08:09:38 AM »
china closed all theaters again. so, it's probably out of control there. sounds like they may just be planning to give up and let it burn through the population and not talk about it. the russian plan.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: March 28, 2020, 10:27:41 AM »
https://futurism.com/neoscope/half-coronavirus-carriers-no-symptoms

They (Iceland) haven’t implemented a lockdown or a curfew, but they have banned gatherings of over 20 people, advised quarantine measures, and again: Test, test, test. Having widespread testing allows them to isolate those with the virus, and thus, the virus itself. Even more, it empowers Iceland to continue some semblance of life as it normally is — more than many, many other places in the world without the kind of testing operation that they have can say for themselves right now.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: March 28, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »
https://futurism.com/neoscope/half-coronavirus-carriers-no-symptoms

They (Iceland) haven’t implemented a lockdown or a curfew, but they have banned gatherings of over 20 people, advised quarantine measures, and again: Test, test, test. Having widespread testing allows them to isolate those with the virus, and thus, the virus itself. Even more, it empowers Iceland to continue some semblance of life as it normally is — more than many, many other places in the world without the kind of testing operation that they have can say for themselves right now.

Cool.  Maybe if Wichita was a rough ridin' island with very few international flights  they could try that.