Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1068030 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #12325 on: December 02, 2020, 03:40:14 PM »
I don't blame bar owners for trying to seek some recourse before their business dies or they're forced to layoff swaths of their employees.

I don't blame them either!
I think you and I are speaking basically the same language here.  For you legalcats out there, I think this is basically analogous to a taking.

The law says they have to close at 3am with no rona.  Is that a taking?
no because they have no reasonable expectation that they'd be allowed to stay open past 3. 

i recognize that this is a stretch of the takings doctrine, but it's the same equitable principles imo.

What if they change the law to Kansas and it moves to 2am after rona?
Would I think that's unfair to some degree under takings principles?  Yes I would.  Do I think that would be as unfair as making the bar shut down at 10?  No.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: December 02, 2020, 03:47:54 PM »

That’s Kansas. Looks to be trending pretty hard back down. Hard for me to see another spike this winter.

For comparison, South Dakota (State anti-coronabro deluxe) is significantly down from their peak from November.

Pic below...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holiday reporting lags unfortunately

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: December 02, 2020, 03:52:18 PM »
and this would be peak number four or five so I don't see why they can't get six

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: December 02, 2020, 04:00:58 PM »
the thing i don't understand about people arguing to keep bars open...its like...if there was a flesh eating bacteria in the water supply and we couldn't figure out how to kill it, nobody would be making an argument for why FantaSea should be allowed to remain open.

and DQ i don't know if you're just being willfully obtuse or what...i mean is there seriously any question as to whether bar patrons tend to make questionable choices due to impaired judgment? i dunno man, it seems pretty obvious that sometimes you have to put measures in place to protect people from themselves because otherwise they would just be idiots. if it wasn't against the law to drive drunk, a lot more people would do it and a lot more people would die because of it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #12329 on: December 02, 2020, 04:10:04 PM »
Posted without comment . . . that means no comment for you resident CoronaBro lunatics.

https://twitter.com/btysonmd/status/1334249944220278784?s=21

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12330 on: December 02, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »

That’s Kansas. Looks to be trending pretty hard back down. Hard for me to see another spike this winter.

For comparison, South Dakota (State anti-coronabro deluxe) is significantly down from their peak from November.

Pic below...

At this point the holiday lag should start showing up in addition to the other cases resulting in higher numbers.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: December 02, 2020, 04:16:55 PM »
Posted without comment . . . that means no comment for you resident CoronaBro lunatics.

https://twitter.com/btysonmd/status/1334249944220278784?s=21

So why are u posting it?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: December 02, 2020, 04:17:34 PM »
At this point the holiday lag should start showing up in addition to the other cases resulting in higher numbers.

kansas only reports MWF so maybe not

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: December 02, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »
Some people don’t get this board.

There’s also very little tolerance for anything that contradicts resident CoronaBro doctrine. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: December 02, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: December 02, 2020, 04:20:30 PM »
the thing i don't understand about people arguing to keep bars open...its like...if there was a flesh eating bacteria in the water supply and we couldn't figure out how to kill it, nobody would be making an argument for why FantaSea should be allowed to remain open.
I think you're missing my point. 

I'm not saying that bars should or shouldn't be allowed to stay open.  I'm saying that if we do allow them to stay open, i think it's dumb to split the baby and say "you can only stay open in a way that effectively kills your business, while also doing something that is very dangerous."  Just take a consistent approach: either shut them down wholesale and lean into the curbing the spread of the virus (and ideally compensate them), or take the path that preserving business health is more important than curbing the virus and let them stay open in a way that doesn't kill the business.   Like I said, going halfway seems like the worst of both.

That's why your flesh eating bacteria analogy is off. the equivalent would essentially be "water parks can remain open notwithstanding the bacteria, but only between the hours of 6 am to 10 am, when patrons are least likely to enter the water."

if the water is going to kill them, maybe we should just close water parks for a while.

if the premise is "it's too dangerous for people to get drunk in bars in the time of corona" there are more coherent actions to take than "bars must close at 10 pm" is what i'm saying here.  it's strange to me that people say that that position is ignorant or obtuse.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 04:27:32 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: December 02, 2020, 04:22:54 PM »

He's got an MD in not taking any crap!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: December 02, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »
AL is going to show a large daily uptake because of a backlog just inputted from one particular lab for the period 11/22 thru 11/29.

The kinds of detail CoronaBro's like to overlook.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: December 02, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
The 10pm thing isn't killing the blue line's business, obviously.

And besides the obvious things we all know about why we've gone/go to bars late at night, the 10pm thing is logical in that the only reason these businesses are allowed to be open at all is because they ostensibly provide a necessity (food), and 10pm's a reasonable time to expect people will have had dinner.  Once providing sustenance is out of the mix, the business is effectively just a place for strangers to breathe on each other.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: December 02, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »
10/11/2020
 1 check-in
Great place to watch games, the owner and manager attend often and are presumptuous at best, the food is okay but the last 3 time's I've ordered to go it's been wrong (after being very specific) also prone to random fights and being harassed by "locals" if you aren't a regular. It's a fun place but good luck not getting beat up, over charged or your food being incorrect or spit on after you point out the fact that they got it wrong...

10/10/2020
Ok, I really hate giving bad reviews, but I just can't hold my tongue on this.

My wife and I went to this place tonight and the service was God awful!!!  We maybe talked to our server 3 or 4  times and that is because we initiated it.  There was two different times we had to go to another server to get something that we needed (fork, napkin etc), which is completely unacceptable!  I have worked in the food industry for most of my working life and I know if one of my servers was like this one the server would not be working for my restaurant. 

The restaurant was not that busy (in my opinion) for a Saturday night, especially before peak hours.  The lack at attention and the fact that we had to involve other servers was and is unacceptable!  But, if the server was "overwhelmed" have the common courtesy to let your table know.  If you can't handle the "extra" tables you need to let another server know so that they can assist you or take the table. 

The food was good and tasty - the only thing I didn't like was we paid extra to get jalapeños and  chips.  ($0.75 for 5 little slices, $1.00 for extra chips).  If I'm going to pay extra - then give me extra!!!

The 1 star is because of the horrible service!  If the service was better it would have received a 4 star.

7/27/2020
 1 photo
If I could rate this worse I would, the red headed old women bartender is the rudest women of all time. She makes you so uncomfortable you never wanna walk-in the door. Tonight was no different! The staff besides the rude red head bartender is always new including the kitchen staff. The food was dry not to order. So ordered kids Mac and cheese and there 4 dollar drink
Special they now are pending my account for almost 3 times the amount. Even if I ordered the reg meal, 9 something+4 dollar drink is roughly 15 bucks. Which there charging me almost 30
Bucks. I didn't sign for!! This staff is horrible don't waste you're time with paying cash either you have to start your tab with a card before they bring you a drink aka to wrack up whatever the amount is. I know the world has fallen on hard times but this is not the way of going about business.

12/29/2019
My husband and I had such high hopes,we both love hockey & went to hang out watch a game & hopefully enjoy the evening.the wait staff seemed like they weren't really working any particular tables we literally had 3 different people wait on our table ,watched 2 tables literally sit down & wait for service & get up & leave,2 people walked in looked around & left .wish we would've done the same,the food was less than desirable ...... Ok it was gross...really gross,we gave it a chance,watched most of a game& decided we had enough. This could be the coolest place but sadly it's not, the service is bad the music is way too loud & the food is discusting !!! I don't recommend it & I will never go back!!!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: December 02, 2020, 04:44:13 PM »
The 10pm thing isn't killing the blue line's business, obviously.

And besides the obvious things we all know about why we've gone/go to bars late at night, the 10pm thing is logical in that the only reason these businesses are allowed to be open at all is because they ostensibly provide a necessity (food), and 10pm's a reasonable time to expect people will have had dinner.  Once providing sustenance is out of the mix, the business is effectively just a place for strangers to breathe on each other.
Yeah but i'm pretty sure bars that don't serve food aren't shut down, so what now

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: December 02, 2020, 05:03:29 PM »

Pic below...

Even with that said, the KS spike began at roughy Halloween and skyrocketed up to mid November before cresting. South Dakota went from ~500/new daily cases, to ~1k news cases about 1/2 week prior before rising steadily and peaking a few days earlier as well.

Both states are showing rapid declines in new cases since.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: December 02, 2020, 05:13:06 PM »
I think you're missing my point. 

I'm not saying that bars should or shouldn't be allowed to stay open.  I'm saying that if we do allow them to stay open, i think it's dumb to split the baby and say "you can only stay open in a way that effectively kills your business, while also doing something that is very dangerous."  Just take a consistent approach: either shut them down wholesale and lean into the curbing the spread of the virus (and ideally compensate them), or take the path that preserving business health is more important than curbing the virus and let them stay open in a way that doesn't kill the business.   Like I said, going halfway seems like the worst of both.

That's why your flesh eating bacteria analogy is off. the equivalent would essentially be "water parks can remain open notwithstanding the bacteria, but only between the hours of 6 am to 10 am, when patrons are least likely to enter the water."

if the water is going to kill them, maybe we should just close water parks for a while.

if the premise is "it's too dangerous for people to get drunk in bars in the time of corona" there are more coherent actions to take than "bars must close at 10 pm" is what i'm saying here.  it's strange to me that people say that that position is ignorant or obtuse.

fair enough, i think i was missing your point. i had interpreted part of what you said earlier as "what are they doing between 11am and 10 pm that is substantially less dangerous than what happens between 10pm and 3 am?" which is what i suggested was being willfully obtuse.

based on what you just said, i think you and i are on the same page that it would probably be better to just close them down completely for a while because allowing them to be open on a modified schedule is not really helping save the business, but is, however, wildly successful at helping people spread the virus.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12343 on: December 02, 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
since we're talking half-measures, I wouldn't be surprised if the reduced capacity hurts businesses more and do less to slow the virus than the 10pm closure

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: December 02, 2020, 05:30:22 PM »
Yeah but i'm pretty sure bars that don't serve food aren't shut down, so what now

Are they?

I suppose the theory could be that it's within acceptable norms for people to have a calm happy hour drink after work, and to maybe throw a bone to those working until retail or whatever closes at 9. 

It's still totally logical to me that bars aren't allowed open past 10pm for another few months, when the only thing truly served at those times is a warm indoor room in which to try to meet strangers to eff (of which the attempts necessarily involve things that spread COVID).  I guess in the blue line's case, it's also to meet strangers to fight, which carries the same issues.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12345 on: December 02, 2020, 07:41:17 PM »

Pic below...

Even with that said, the KS spike began at roughy Halloween and skyrocketed up to mid November before cresting. South Dakota went from ~500/new daily cases, to ~1k news cases about 1/2 week prior before rising steadily and peaking a few days earlier as well.

Both states are showing rapid declines in new cases since.

The holiday spikes have always been approximately two weeks after, including the Halloween spike from three weeks ago. Thanksgiving was 6 days ago. In addition to all of this, testing, in the plains states especially, is much slower now than it has been since the spring, because of the crush of demand. There is literally no way in hell that those numbers won't decrease again two weeks from now, then again around January 10th.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread
« Reply #12346 on: December 02, 2020, 07:49:00 PM »
Yeah, I was talking about reporting lag around the holidays and not holiday case spread which we won’t see for weeks. For example, check this grim crap out. I’m hopeful it’s some reporting lag but, man :-(

https://twitter.com/covid19tracking/status/1334289955376390144

https://twitter.com/covid19tracking/status/1334290750599700481

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: December 02, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »
January 2016 I must admit I didn't think Trump would leave his 4 years in this much of a trainwreck. Really underestimated that guy.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: December 03, 2020, 01:01:22 AM »
I don't blame bar owners for trying to seek some recourse before their business dies or they're forced to layoff swaths of their employees.

I don't blame them either!
I think you and I are speaking basically the same language here.  For you legalcats out there, I think this is basically analogous to a taking.

charliemurphy.gif