Author Topic: ESPN+ is garbage  (Read 11350 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN+ is garbage
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2020, 01:03:51 AM »
So I saw the bar I frequent is showing the next ufc thing and is going to charge admission to cover how much they had to pay for it on ppv.  Then I see it's on espn+, or at least you can get it by paying another $40-50 if you have espn+.  So I look it up and I see that while espn+ is now the exclusive way for regular people to buy those ppv's, ufc still sells them to bars at an exorbitant rate.

Why wouldn't a bar just plug in whatever you people are using to watch espn+ on your tv's into the tv's at the bar and just pay the $40-50?

I want to pitch this in order to get the bar to have espn+ at all times and at least have the option to watch games there.

The actual real ufc fights, like the ones they number, you still have to buy ppv, even if you have espn+. In fact I think you have to have espn+ & buy the ppv. The only free fights on espn+ are the ones that would have been on FS1 or ESPN2 before they moved to plus. Unfortunately for me, who likes boxing, they do the same thing for the big boxing matches.

Right, but it’s only an extra $40-50 on top of the espn+ subscription. Dish or whatever the bar has is charging some exorbitant rate because it’s a bar. What precludes the bar owner or anyone from having an espn+ sub and only paying $40-50 to get the fight and put it on the bar tv’s that way?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2020, 01:13:06 AM »
So I saw the bar I frequent is showing the next ufc thing and is going to charge admission to cover how much they had to pay for it on ppv.  Then I see it's on espn+, or at least you can get it by paying another $40-50 if you have espn+.  So I look it up and I see that while espn+ is now the exclusive way for regular people to buy those ppv's, ufc still sells them to bars at an exorbitant rate.

Why wouldn't a bar just plug in whatever you people are using to watch espn+ on your tv's into the tv's at the bar and just pay the $40-50?

I want to pitch this in order to get the bar to have espn+ at all times and at least have the option to watch games there.

The actual real ufc fights, like the ones they number, you still have to buy ppv, even if you have espn+. In fact I think you have to have espn+ & buy the ppv. The only free fights on espn+ are the ones that would have been on FS1 or ESPN2 before they moved to plus. Unfortunately for me, who likes boxing, they do the same thing for the big boxing matches.

Right, but it’s only an extra $40-50 on top of the espn+ subscription. Dish or whatever the bar has is charging some exorbitant rate because it’s a bar. What precludes the bar owner or anyone from having an espn+ sub and only paying $40-50 to get the fight and put it on the bar tv’s that way?

Jesus, I would never. Those freaks must get drunk as eff.

"A bar and restaurant would call up and if their occupancy certificate says it has 100 seats, it would be times 30 dollars," Hand Jr. said. "So, it would be $3,000 to license it."

Mayweather vs. McGregor’s $30-per-person price tag is higher than the company’s normal UFC license rates, according to Hand Jr. All UFC licenses include the fight, promotional materials, and a listing in the official venue search.

Due to the cost of licenses, screening the fight illegally has some appeal — but bars looking to sidestep the process are flirting with disaster, as distribution companies take a hard-line approach to PPV piracy. For every event Joe Hand Promotions distributes, the company hires investigators across the United States tasked with spotting piracy. If caught, venues face lawsuits under the Federal Communications Act, which allows for up to $100,000 in statutory damages plus legal fees.
https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/showing-mayweather-mcgregor-at-your-bar-aint-cheap-heres-where-you-can-watch-the-fight-in-charleston/Content?oid=10193143

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2020, 08:10:11 AM »
King McClure

Was pretty damn good, thanks for observing

King McClure was absolutely terrible on the broadcast for our game against TCU.

Okay, cool
I thought King was great. Obviously still getting his feet wet, but about 1000 times more insightful about basketball than most color guys.  I hope he doesn't go blander as he develops his broadcasting skills.
:adios:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 08:15:26 AM »

Jesus, I would never. Those freaks must get drunk as eff.

"A bar and restaurant would call up and if their occupancy certificate says it has 100 seats, it would be times 30 dollars," Hand Jr. said. "So, it would be $3,000 to license it."

Mayweather vs. McGregor’s $30-per-person price tag is higher than the company’s normal UFC license rates, according to Hand Jr. All UFC licenses include the fight, promotional materials, and a listing in the official venue search.

Due to the cost of licenses, screening the fight illegally has some appeal — but bars looking to sidestep the process are flirting with disaster, as distribution companies take a hard-line approach to PPV piracy. For every event Joe Hand Promotions distributes, the company hires investigators across the United States tasked with spotting piracy. If caught, venues face lawsuits under the Federal Communications Act, which allows for up to $100,000 in statutory damages plus legal fees.
https://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/charleston/showing-mayweather-mcgregor-at-your-bar-aint-cheap-heres-where-you-can-watch-the-fight-in-charleston/Content?oid=10193143

Ah, that sucks two-fold. No reason for the bar to get espn+ ever plus it’ll be uninhabitable that night.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2020, 12:03:20 PM »
King McClure

Okay, cool
I thought King was great. Obviously still getting his feet wet, but about 1000 times more insightful about basketball than most color guys.  I hope he doesn't go blander as he develops his broadcasting skills.

I have a theory as to why some didn't like him but I'll keep that to myself. He's literally done like 5 games and I don't remember any factual error he made.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
King McClure

Okay, cool

I have a theory as to why some didn't like him but I'll keep that to myself. He's literally done like 5 games and I don't remember any factual error he made.

Of course you do.

I thought he added almost nothing in terms of insight.
But his moans/groans into the microphone were pretty entertaining, if nothing else because they were so unorthodox.  It was evident that he was having a lot of fun doing the game, which I enjoyed.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2020, 12:20:06 PM »
King McClure

Okay, cool

Yup

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2020, 03:13:22 PM »
King McClure

Okay, cool

Of course you do.

What's that supposed to mean, steffy

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2020, 03:15:24 PM »
I personally like ESPN+ a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2020, 03:26:55 PM »
I wish you could watch it DVR style. I cancelled after the okie light game. I liked some of the stuff but I never watched it outside of Cats football

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
I personally like ESPN+ a lot

God, it's so rough ridin' great! I literally cannot think of one thing I could change to make it better. I mean, maybe ESPN could charge me more so I'm not ripping them off so much!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »
I wish you could watch it DVR style. I cancelled after the okie light game. I liked some of the stuff but I never watched it outside of Cats football

Yes, this, and the inability to quickly swap from one event to another is annoying. The picture is usually very good, the OSU game being literally the only exception to the 100+ events I've seen on there. However, the system they use is very primitive.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »
I don't think this is as good as it being a channel that I could turn to and it work just like a regular tv channel, but getting closer?  https://www.engadget.com/2020/01/09/cbs-all-access-comcast-xfinity-x1-flex/

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2020, 10:28:06 AM »
not watching games makes this an easy problem to solve

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
i tried to watch the game tonight, but it wasn't on in california.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2020, 09:45:51 PM »
i tried to watch the game tonight, but it wasn't on in california.
Lucky you

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 08:35:02 AM »
I was going to tune in, then I saw 10-0 early and decided to spend my time in any other way

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 08:37:05 AM »
To be clear, not any fault of ESPN+

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2020, 08:41:33 AM »
:dubious:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2020, 08:53:23 AM »
Joke's on me, I didn't even know we had a game last night and I'm still paying for ESPN+

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »
I had sound lagging last night

has been ok otherwise

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2020, 04:08:13 PM »
Finally got the login issue solved, but had lots of stuttering last night. Haven't had that with any other streaming service for a long time. Still garbage.

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »
Joke's on me, I didn't even know we had a game last night and I'm still paying for ESPN+

+1  :dunno:

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2020, 08:54:44 AM »
The Octagon of Apathy is back.
@mikec2w

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »
kstate game is on in california this week.  woohoo.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."