Author Topic: gene taylor is so small time  (Read 11314 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: gene taylor is so small time
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2021, 11:47:02 AM »
it was poorly executed from a PR standpoint. timing feels off. probably would have looked better in the summer.

they just moved a home game from MHK to cowboys stadium in large part because they are strapped for cash. the ADept loves to talk (maybe not publicly) about how little extra cash they have right now and then the AD suddenly gets a 350k raise while the world is still dealing with a pandemic.

the line in the press release about hiring Pete Hughes who "took them to the Big 12 Championship in the first season" is factually correct but just a bad look.

but at the end of the day no one is going to do anything about it so who cares. hope it results in more wins.

what?

The Big 12 Tournament is officially called the Big 12 Championship. It's a silly way to say we qualified for the Big 12 tournament, AKA we didn't finish last in the conference, we finished next to last.

ah, got it. I was like uhhh...we definitely got bounced in the first round by TT. Like if we would have made it to the championship game then like, okay i guess. Did not realize the name for the entire tournament was the championship.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2021, 12:15:14 PM »
it was poorly executed from a PR standpoint. timing feels off. probably would have looked better in the summer.

they just moved a home game from MHK to cowboys stadium in large part because they are strapped for cash. the ADept loves to talk (maybe not publicly) about how little extra cash they have right now and then the AD suddenly gets a 350k raise while the world is still dealing with a pandemic.

the line in the press release about hiring Pete Hughes who "took them to the Big 12 Championship in the first season" is factually correct but just a bad look.

but at the end of the day no one is going to do anything about it so who cares. hope it results in more wins.

what?

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2021/3/24/athletics-gene-taylor-receives-contract-extension.aspx

and Pete Hughes in baseball, who took the Wildcats back to the Big 12 Championship in his first year on the job.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2021, 12:18:33 PM »
LOL at that baseball ‘ship thing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2021, 02:42:54 PM »
Timing for an announced raise seems odd given the apparent financial condition of the department.  Wonder if Myers is preparing to step down and is getting his affairs in order.

I'm almost certain that 21-22 was his last year on his first contract. He got an initial 5 year contract, this is just the second 5 year contract. I hope that Myers is retiring but this extension has nothing to do with that, same with the timing of the announcement. We aren't going to be out of any perceived financial issues in the next 6 months so the bad timing thing, if it does exist, which I don't think it does, can't be avoided either.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2021, 02:48:01 PM »
Timing for an announced raise seems odd given the apparent financial condition of the department.  Wonder if Myers is preparing to step down and is getting his affairs in order.

I'm almost certain that 21-22 was his last year on his first contract. He got an initial 5 year contract, this is just the second 5 year contract. I hope that Myers is retiring but this extension has nothing to do with that, same with the timing of the announcement. We aren't going to be out of any perceived financial issues in the next 6 months so the bad timing thing, if it does exist, which I don't think it does, can't be avoided either.
The contract expires in April '22. 

I think the timing is a little rough, coming off the heels of furloughs and pay cuts and stuff.  If the world gets back to normal and we have a full BSFS in September, I think the optics would be a little better but not a huge deal either way imo. 

Timing just seemed odd and thought if Myers was preparing to ace then the timing made some sense.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2021, 02:54:47 PM »
should've waited to see who he replaced oscar with during mid-season firing next year

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2021, 03:02:50 PM »
BTW, the thing with not letting a coach get to the last year of his contract so recruits know the coach he's gonna sign with isn't going to get fired 15 minutes later also applies for ADs and fundraising for capital campaigns. I wouldn't give a dime to a project if I thought there was a chance that project wouldn't happen or would be delayed. We haven't moved a speck of dust on the practice facility, the volleyball arena, or the OTC. If they want to make sure the momentum of those things continue forward it's probably a good idea to commit to the person trying to make it happen.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2021, 03:25:22 PM »
As of this summer, here are the Big 12 AD salaries.

http://www.sportsinfo.pro/AthleticDirector2020.html

AD   School   Compensation
Del Conte, Chris   Texas   $2,330,000
Hocutt, Kirby   Texas Tech   $1,850,000
Castiglione, Joe   Oklahoma   $1,733,333
Rhoades, Mack   Baylor   $1,554,897
Long, Jeff   Kansas   $1,500,000
Holder, Mike   Oklahoma State   $950,000
Donati, Jeremiah   Texas Christian   $938,473
Pollard, Jamie   Iowa State   $903,000
Lyons, Shane   West Virginia   $870,000
Taylor, Gene   Kansas State   $650,000

Gene would have made $700K next year.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2021, 03:53:46 PM »
if the numbers posted in this thread can be trusted Kirby out earning Joe C is  :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2021, 04:40:03 PM »

I didn't think of that.  That makes a lot of sense.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2021, 05:03:13 PM »
if the numbers posted in this thread can be trusted Kirby out earning Joe C is  :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise: :horrorsurprise:

One of these people hired a coach that played for a title in a revenue sport
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2021, 05:26:30 PM »
I've also been privy to a lot of discussions about the new indoor practice facility, that should be starting soonish.

I've heard it will be announced this fall. We have also completed projects for soccer, and baseball. The indoor track project will start as soon as the football team is out of their current facility, but that isn't on the building champions website so I don't know if the money is raised or if it has been abandoned. I also understand that they are close on volleyball, haven't heard anything about the OTC.

Thanks for making my point that the projects are a wrap and would be a wrap without the extension.  We make a good team

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2021, 09:39:07 PM »
I've also been privy to a lot of discussions about the new indoor practice facility, that should be starting soonish.

I've heard it will be announced this fall. We have also completed projects for soccer, and baseball. The indoor track project will start as soon as the football team is out of their current facility, but that isn't on the building champions website so I don't know if the money is raised or if it has been abandoned. I also understand that they are close on volleyball, haven't heard anything about the OTC.

Thanks for making my point that the projects are a wrap and would be a wrap without the extension.  We make a good team

That wasn't the point at all, but whatever.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »

Uh, Castiglone hired Bob Stoops. OU also has like 20 national championships in non-revenue sports since he took over. He's widely regarded as the best athletic director in America. His worst hire in any sport that anyone watches at all was Jeff Capel who had an elite 8 at OU. He got fired two years after the elite 8 and he didn't even finish last and next to last in those seasons.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2021, 10:15:04 PM »

Uh, Castiglone hired Bob Stoops. OU also has like 20 national championships in non-revenue sports since he took over. He's widely regarded as the best athletic director in America. His worst hire in any sport that anyone watches at all was Jeff Capel who had an elite 8 at OU. He got fired two years after the elite 8 and he didn't even finish last and next to last in those seasons.

Damn that [redacted] has been there since April 1998, I had no idea.  That has be to a record in the modern era for a P5 school.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2021, 10:31:22 PM »
guys i’ve been super busy with work and stuff so just saw this thread

gene taylor is america’s worst enemy and quite possibly the worst enemy of all of mankind

you know those old black and white pictures from when the dudes were building skyscrapers in like 1930 and the guys were standing and sitting way up high on steel I-beams?  took tons of stones to do that work.  giant gonads.
gene taylor certainly wouldn’t have done it.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2021, 11:14:27 PM »
Castiglione is in the running for best athletic director in all of the NCAA.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2021, 07:40:22 AM »
Joe C is an absolute stud.   I'm glad he dumped MethU all those many years ago.   Outside of a few years under Pinks, MethU athletics has by and large been a dumpster fire ever since.

He's absolutely killed it at OU and barring a major scandal he will go down as one of the best AD's of all time.   

I'm pretty  :blank: on Gene's deal.   His major sport coaches better start doing a lot better and I don't think one of those two has it in him.   I'm willing to give the other one a big * because of Covid, the other should have been better positioned to turn Covid into an advantage based on tenure, and he didn't, because he can't manage a roster.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »
Yeah I don't know anything about fundraising, just a construction nerd that has done some budget analysis
how much has that budget been blown up recently with the price of materials?