Author Topic: The Onside Kick  (Read 7918 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Onside Kick
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »
Once I saw the ball ricochet off that dude's leg and him standing there knowing full well that the ball hit him before the 10-yard mark, there was no way I thought it wasn't KSU football.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »
It did not look like our guy blocked him into the ball, more like they both ran into each other and the ball accidentally hit the OU player. Calling it a block is questionable, saying he was blocked into it is even more questionable.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 09:06:20 AM »
I don't think it would have gone our way if the second OU player had not run into his own guy.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
They weren't going to call us for forced touching on the onside kick regardless because no football referee has ever made that call.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2019, 10:46:13 AM »
Not up to date on free kick rules, but would the proper response for the receiving team be to bat it out of bounds?  Or is that a penalty?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 10:52:36 AM »
Not up to date on free kick rules, but would the proper response for the receiving team be to bat it out of bounds?  Or is that a penalty?

I think it's a penalty, but I don't think it would give OU possession. So, it would totally be worth doing. I really don't know the rules either, though.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 11:04:12 AM »
I don’t think you get credit for like batting the ball forward, but at least in the pros I thought batting was only a penalty in the end zone.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 11:13:55 AM »
i don't think they have a clear rule on batting an onside kick out of bounds. i've seen plenty of times where the players were trying to recover the ball and ultimately it squirted out of bounds resulting in the receiving team getting the ball where it went out, but they don't really seem to have an explicit rule about the receiving team intentionally batting a loose ball out of bounds.  Guessing the safe bet in that scenario would be to make it look like you were trying to recover it rather than obviously trying to swat it into the 5th row.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2019, 11:15:39 AM »
Batting the ball out of bounds usually isn't any easier than just catching the ball. I mean it would be way too easy to ricochet the ball off of another player and lose possession. The kicking team almost never recovers these things, so it's better to not make it too complicated.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2019, 11:30:09 AM »
Batting the ball out of bounds usually isn't any easier than just catching the ball.

I think it depends on the situation. For example, suppose the ball isn't really moving, just kinda sitting there, right by the sideline, and it's a footrace to get to it. So much easier to simply tip it out of bounds than fight to actually grab it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 03:16:49 AM »
Intentionally batting the ball out of bounds is illegal touching. We would have received the ball and the penalty would be enforced from the spot where the ball went out of bounds, 10 yards.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:32:46 AM by MakeItRain »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
It's usually a clusterfuck enough that refs would only call the most egregious penalty for batting it out of bounds.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »
It did not look like our guy blocked him into the ball, more like they both ran into each other and the ball accidentally hit the OU player. Calling it a block is questionable, saying he was blocked into it is even more questionable.

Yeah, the blocking rule is to keep punt team from pushing a punt return guy into a rolling ball.

Not two guys running into each other on an onside kick and the ball deflecting off one of them.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2019, 01:25:57 PM »
I wish onside kicks were easier to execute. would be cool if there was something like Aussie football where it's just a free for all and if you catch a punt it's yours

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:26 PM »
a new idea called the MEGAKICK:  a team calls for a MEGAKICK.  refs use a flair to signal an attack helicopter from fort riley.  the ref uses a flair which is the color of the team requesting the MEGAKICK.  the refs all get into helicopter and drop the ball from the helicopter which is hovering 100 yards above midfield and make the two teams battle for it. the refs must try to throw/drop the ball at the team requesting the MEGAKICK.  the refs stay in the apache helicopter for the rest of the possession.  there are no rules and no refs for the remainder of the possession regardless of who gets possession of the ball. if the team who got the MEGAKICK called against them gets possession, the refs must call 3 bad calls against the team who called the MEGAKICK in the next series of plays.

rule:  each team only gets to elect for a MEGAKICK once per game

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »
How do you establish possession of the MEGAKICK? Last man standing sort of situation?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »
Can you bat a MEGAKICK out of bounds?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 02:33:47 PM »
possession is deemed when a player is able to high five 6 teammates while holding the ball.  the 6 high fives represent the 6 points earned from a touchdown. which only happens when, you guessed it- a team possesses the ball.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2019, 02:33:58 PM »
Can you bat a MEGAKICK out of bounds?

There are no rules or refs. That means there is no out of bounds.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2019, 02:36:42 PM »
Is the judgement call of a high five/low five reviewable?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »
if we're playing in morgantown, won't that take awhile for the apache 'copter to get there from Ft Riley?  or is it waiting in the parking lot, with the pilots getting 'faced on 'shine?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »
Potential problem: idiot b12 refs throw the ball UP instead of down and cause the 'pache blades to break and the 'pache crash lands on our beautiful and perfect cat football team.

Potential positive: idiot b12 refs throw the ball UP instead of down and cause the 'pache blades to break and the 'pache crash lands on the very stupid and total human scum opposing team

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »
What if the Apache drops 6 balls, and to get a possession, all 6 of balls mussed be held by the high-fiving teammates?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2019, 03:29:01 PM »
Potential problem: idiot b12 refs throw the ball UP instead of down and cause the 'pache blades to break and the 'pache crash lands on our beautiful and perfect cat football team.

Potential positive: idiot b12 refs throw the ball UP instead of down and cause the 'pache blades to break and the 'pache crash lands on the very stupid and total human scum opposing team

Or what if the ball breaks into pieces and it floats down on the field and as a result there are several magakick returners.  who scores???  :dunno:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline eastcat

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • Labeled by children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2019, 04:37:18 PM »
What if the pilots get smashed on booze in the lots and can't fly?