Author Topic: Home flooring is settled, now let's talk cabinets and counters  (Read 6584 times)

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Re: Home flooring, to start
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
When we moved into our house we had wood laminate. We had three dogs at the time, and their running around would scratch through the top layer, and it looked like crap. It was pretty cheap stuff so maybe not applicable to all.

We replaced that with bamboo flooring about eight years ago when a press fit hose popped off on our washing machine and ruined all of it. We were planning to replace it anyway, so it turned out okay. That stuff was pretty good. Very tough, decent price, and it was attractive. I liked it.

Earlier this summer, the hose from the wall to the refrigerator ice machine developed a slow leak that didn't notice for some ridiculously long amount of time. It dripped down the wall behind the fridge and went under the flooring, and sat there for who knows how long, until discoloration started showing up in the seams of the floor.

So we replaced that with wood look porcelain tile. We considered vinyl planks, but tile is supposed to be more durable and won't fade over time. While the vinyl planks are basically waterproof, there is a chance for water to seep through to the sub-floor if there is any gaping in the floor. Tile is less likely to have that problem, and I don't want to deal with water damage to these dumb floors ever again.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2019, 10:28:26 AM »
There should be one of these for each type of flooring material and pro/con of each, and then the same for each brand and model within each flooring type.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2019, 12:11:57 PM »
Better than vinyl. Even luxury

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2019, 11:00:56 PM »
Got a bit more educated at a different shop.  Definitely going w/LVF.  Confirmed the only benefit to getting engineered wood is that some insist on having wood just to say they have wood, but that mindset has dwindled.  Also, I'd only have engineered wood, not WOOD wood, so the same dwindling people might turn their nose up at that anyway.

And within LVF at the higher ends, the price difference is solely in how detailed the graphics and feel is and thus what went into creating it, not in how it performs or anything.

So now I've got a much narrower field to select from, but I still hate having to pick and commit.

Suggest your favorite grays from these, leaning towards what goes with black contemporary cabinetry/furniture.

https://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura-Vinyl-Plank/AduraMaxApex
https://shawfloors.com/flooring/vinyl
https://coretecfloors.com/en-us/products

Offline TaqMan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 11:48:55 AM »
We're putting in new flooring in our bathroom right now. It was supposed to go down today but the flooring guy said he has jury duty all next week and wouldn't be able to finish it (yeah right). We have to find a different handyman, whatever. Anyway, the one we chose is almost identical to the first one in your list. Ours is glue down and in hind sight we would have gone with the more waterproof click-style but we picked this stuff out a long time ago. Just been sitting waiting for us to have it installed. I vote for the AduraMax stuff.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 03:30:11 PM »
Got a bit more educated at a different shop.  Definitely going w/LVF.  Confirmed the only benefit to getting engineered wood is that some insist on having wood just to say they have wood, but that mindset has dwindled.  Also, I'd only have engineered wood, not WOOD wood, so the same dwindling people might turn their nose up at that anyway.

And within LVF at the higher ends, the price difference is solely in how detailed the graphics and feel is and thus what went into creating it, not in how it performs or anything.

So now I've got a much narrower field to select from, but I still hate having to pick and commit.

Suggest your favorite grays from these, leaning towards what goes with black contemporary cabinetry/furniture.

https://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura-Vinyl-Plank/AduraMaxApex
https://shawfloors.com/flooring/vinyl
https://coretecfloors.com/en-us/products

I don't think I can do vinyl.  Too many stigmas.  Did you ask these people about tile wood looking stuff? 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »
What stigma?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 03:44:30 PM »
We're putting in new flooring in our bathroom right now. It was supposed to go down today but the flooring guy said he has jury duty all next week and wouldn't be able to finish it (yeah right). We have to find a different handyman, whatever. Anyway, the one we chose is almost identical to the first one in your list. Ours is glue down and in hind sight we would have gone with the more waterproof click-style but we picked this stuff out a long time ago. Just been sitting waiting for us to have it installed. I vote for the AduraMax stuff.

Hey, I just came back from the floor-specific place and am 90% settled on that gray "driftwood" aduramaxAPEX!  It's the only one that has the complete lack of any brown/barn tinge to it at all.

Going back to the all-encompassing place tomorrow morning to do one last compare to the "wexford" and then picking out the cabinetry, counters and backsplash, and then down the street for nashville hot chicken and waffles again.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2019, 03:45:05 PM »
I don't think I can do vinyl.  Too many stigmas.  Did you ask these people about tile wood looking stuff? 

Yes, confirmed garbage.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2019, 04:50:54 PM »

Yes, confirmed garbage.

Thanks!

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2019, 04:51:53 PM »
What stigma?

Vinyl flooring is right up there with Formica countertops right?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2019, 04:59:07 PM »
If not for the risk of having a fat lady sit on me the whole flight, I'd fly to kc right now and get a lvf sample from the store there and crack it (just like wood) on Phil’s skull.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
If not for the risk of having a fat lady sit on me the whole flight, I'd fly to kc right now and get a lvf sample from the store there and crack it (just like wood) on Phil’s skull.

Flying to KC that is a high probability.

I'll go check them out myself and crack myself on my own noggin when proven wrong. I'm more talking the stigma than modern realities though.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2019, 06:05:49 PM »
Do you think we’re talking about this?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2019, 06:16:09 PM »

No I think if I told people that was my flooring that is what they would think of (and buyers of my place)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2019, 08:10:38 PM »

No I think if I told people that was my flooring that is what they would think of (and buyers of my place)

Good, now I know the floor I'm getting will have the added benefit of being a dumbass filter when it comes time to selling.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2019, 12:58:57 AM »
If I can confirm this is gray enough, thoughts?

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2019, 06:38:22 AM »
I like the pattern.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2019, 05:14:56 PM »
That herringBONE wasn't in either store for me to see if it was gray enough, and I decided it would be too headache-inducing across my whole place.

I'm down to 3.

https://www.mannington.com/Residential/Adura-Vinyl-Plank/AduraMaxApex/AduraMaxApex/Hampton/APX090  - This is the one I consistently pick out every time I'm looking because it's such a consistent true gray, but it doesn't have as great of feel-to-graphics compared to the others though, and may be more obviously "not wood."

https://coretecfloors.com/en-us/products/coretec-plus-hd/mont-blanc-driftwood-vv031-00652  - this one has the same color name as above, and from far away looks about the same gray-wise, but obviously has more variance in it between white and black.  It's the highest-quality (most expensive?) and might be the most flexible/attractive both for anything I could pair it with and for future buyers.

http://www.maslandcarpets.com/forms/LVTDetail.aspx?prodtype=lvt&sId=P2218&cId=Cape%20Cod  - just discovered this one today, and it's a bit different.  Darker, more brown elements to it, but I still like the overall look.  It would be much more distinctive and attention-grabbing, and in turn I'd need to be much more basic on countertops, and definitely would need to stay matte on cabinetry.  It may even force me to change off black cabinets entirely due to being darker.  This one makes a big deal about being great for pets, but my dog wouldn't necessarily take advantage of it.  She's used to slick floors and would never dare piss or crap inside, but maybe it'd be helpful as she gets older.

Thoughts?

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2019, 10:32:06 AM »
As a veteran of hundreds of thousands of dollars in remodeling I have the correct answer here.  You are about to throw your money down the drain but I will not tell you why because you are a bad person that has not made amends with Wackycat
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
None of this has happened yet; still fighting w/the HOA about things.  But getting closer.

Turns out I'm not going to get the difference in value between the awesome wood floor I had vs. LVF I was thinking I'd put in, in the form of cash.  I also don't need it to upgrade other materials because I griped so much that the insurance adjuster authorized the expensive stuff I wanted as to cabinets, counters, etc.

So now it's do I get expensive engineered wood floor to maintain the same value I had, or get the probably more practical LVF and eat the value loss and hope it's made up for by less necessary care/maintenance?

This was the LVF I'd settled on last go-around: https://coretecfloors.com/en-us/products/coretec-plus-hd/mont-blanc-driftwood-vv031-00652

This is the wood that I think looks awesome: https://www.kahrs.com/en-US/wood-floors/black-silver

For that black/silver wood, I'd get light/white cabinetry, counters, etc.  Walls are already shades of gray.

How much of a bitch is it to take care of nice wood floors like that and is the LVF more sensible for that reason, even if it means some prospective buyers might think less of my place one day?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2020, 04:58:38 PM »
Also, the mystery of what I had was solved, it was this: https://www.kahrs.com/en-US/wood-floors/walnut-montreal

The black/silver is much shinier and glossier.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2020, 04:59:30 PM »
Our wood floor takes a beating from the doggos.  At some point, we will have to sand and refinish it.
@mikec2w

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2020, 05:04:14 PM »
Our wood floor takes a beating from the doggos.  At some point, we will have to sand and refinish it.

Like, from them scratching it, or just because there's multiples of 4 extra legs walking around all the time?

Is eventually having to sand/refinish something I can avoid by doing relatively routine care/maintenance, i.e. paying a housecleaner to do it?

Here's the page with more specs on it: https://www.kahrsflooring.com/en-US/wood/black-silver

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2020, 05:12:48 PM »
It's mostly from their claws when they are chasing balls or playing with each other.  I'm not sure if the darker color will be better or worse.  Ours is a light oak.  That looks like commercial stuff so it may be a bit more resilient than what we have.  At our old crib, I installed Pergo laminate and didn't notice any wear over the 4 years or so it was down.

In our case, we will probably just lightly sand and refinish to keep some of the imperfections in it so it has a distressed look to it.  We just spent a eff-ton on windows and doors so that project along with the kitchen remodel will probably be quite a few years down the road.
@mikec2w