Author Topic: Master Political Social Media Thread  (Read 88507 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Master Political Social Media Thread
« Reply #450 on: May 16, 2022, 01:25:05 PM »
Slow Content
Just say no (to content): Nietzsche’s surprising “information diet”
An excerpt from the new book by our own deputy editor, Nate Anderson.

https://arstechnica.com/staff/2022/05/just-say-no-to-content-nietzsches-surprising-information-diet/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

This is an excerpt from the new book In Emergency, Break Glass: What Nietzsche Can Teach Us About Joyful Living in a Tech-Saturated World, by Ars Technica's Deputy Editor, Nate Anderson.

The book "adapts Friedrich Nietzsche’s passionate quest for meaning into a world overwhelmed by 'content.' Written long before the advent of smartphones, Nietzsche’s aphoristic philosophy advocated a fierce mastery of attention, a strict information diet, and a powerful connection to the natural world. Drawing on Nietzsche’s work, technology journalist Nate Anderson advocates for a life of goal-oriented, creative exertion as more meaningful than the 'frictionless' leisure often promised by our devices." In a starred review, Publisher's Weekly called it "a must-read for anyone overwhelmed by the Information Age." Also, it has jokes.

No one ever accused Nietzsche of modesty. The man was convinced of his own world-shaking destiny, which must have been tough to sustain when only a few hundred people were reading his books. Still, Nietzsche offered his then-nonexistent readership tips for properly absorbing his works—especially his more “aphoristic” books. Nietzsche describes his ideal reader in the preface to Daybreak:

A book like this, a problem like this, is in no hurry; we both, I just as much of my book, are friends of lento [slowness]. It is not for nothing that I have been a philologist, perhaps I am a philologist still, that is to say, a teacher of slow reading:—in the end I also write slowly. Nowadays it is not only my habit, it is also to my taste—a malicious taste, perhaps?—no longer to write anything which does not reduce to despair every sort of man who is “in a hurry.”

Anyone who has tried to read Daybreak straight through, as though it were a novel, will run headlong into Nietzsche’s “malicious taste.” The goal was to craft a form that embodies the qualities encouraged by the content: pithy nuggets demanding careful thought, mental experimentation, and wide-ranging curiosity about morality and psychology. By forcing his readers to proceed slowly if they want to make sense of the book, Nietzsche puts a preemptive stop to bingeing.

This call to read more slowly, and with greater engagement, is not reserved for Nietzsche’s books. In the same preface, he speaks more widely about European culture, which he thought valued speed and productivity above all else. (Sound familiar?) But we must value the ability to “go aside, to take time, to become still, to become slow,” because careful thinking is “delicate, cautious work” that “achieves nothing if it does not achieve it lento.”

Do we want to process information this way? Nietzsche thinks we do—that we will be enchanted by the opportunity to go slow in an “age of ‘work’: that is to say, of haste, of unseemly and immoderate hurry-skurry.” We must learn instead to “read well: i.e. slowly, profoundly, attentively, prudently, with inner thoughts, with the mental doors ajar, with delicate fingers and eyes.”
Advertisement

To consume information slowly becomes, in this telling, an act of resistance against a dehumanizing technological order. Much like the Slow Food movement, Nietzsche’s Slow Content assumes a political and ethical dimension. When it comes to our information diet, it matters how we read, watch, and listen.

It’s not clear that many people today believe this, though. If “slow reading” is so liberating, why has every lit major with a Twitter feed written a thread about how they once loved big Russian novels such as Anna Karenina but now struggle to make it through lifestyle articles in the newspaper? In one sense, the reasons are obvious. We have too many tabs open! Someone texts me after each paragraph I read! I’m watching Netflix on my second monitor right now!

And yet, given the discomfort so many people express about binge-driven, skim-oriented, hyperlinked culture, one might expect more cultural support for slow reading. There is some— apps that store long articles for later reading, the whole genre of “longreads,” the continued existence of the New Yorker. But it’s hard to fight those dopamine hits of novelty that make sustained attention so difficult.

This can be true even in the centers of learning. English professor Mark Bauerlein complains, in the course of commenting on the Nietzsche passages above, that universities also struggle with slow reading.

Young people today process more words than ever before and in faster time—allegro, not lento. To meet them, more classrooms and more course assignments follow suit, for instance, assigning blogs instead of papers, short readings instead of long ones. The unfortunate truth is that fast reading and fast writing don’t make people more flexible, more capable of slow reading and writing when the situation demands them.

Nietzsche calls us to consciously resist speed and to guard our attention and deploy it in focused ways. Just as jamming food into one’s belly is liable to feel bad, information too should be consumed at a certain pace and with a certain care. As with food, there are always exceptions—the quick snack on the run, the rushed meal before the concert—but they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Much as Slow Food demands good ingredients, Slow Content demands a certain quality of material. Amid climate change, global pandemics, and a rising wave of authoritarianism, we might desire nothing but a dumb comedy at the end of the week. Or we might seek cathartic release in online outrage. Or we might obsessively consume the news. We may want, that is, the information equivalent of fast food. No matter how good it may feel, though, we need to limit this kind of content consumption to keep ourselves healthy.
Advertisement

Nietzsche was convinced that human life is about transformation and transcendence, and that our best hope for achieving them is reflection in the presence of strong ideas. That is, much of our reading and listening and watching should focus on artists and thinkers and friends who have something meaningful to say.

Arthur Schopenhauer, to whose philosophy Nietzsche was devoted as a young man, once wrote, “The art of not reading is a very important one.” Schopenhauer assumed most popular books were rubbish on the grounds that “he who writes for fools always finds a large public.” And so, for him, “a precondition for reading good books is not reading bad ones: for life is short.”

Nietzsche embraces this idea of “not reading” and turns it into a radical principle of selection. He praises people who have an instinctive sense for the material that will matter to their lives. “What is it, fundamentally, that allows us to recognize who has turned out well?” Nietzsche asks.

What does not kill him makes him stronger. Instinctively, he collects from everything he sees, hears, lives through, his sum: he is a principle of selection, he discards much. He is always in his own company, whether he associates with books, human beings, or landscapes: he honors by choosing, by admitting, by trusting.

Such people do not indiscriminately welcome content into their world. They are “principles of selection,” thoughtful about what they choose to admit, because each admission is an act of trust. If we are going to put ourselves in the hands of a writer or a director or even a conversation partner, and if we are going to give that person our full attention over the course of many hours, we hope that the process will be worthwhile. We are shaped by what we consume, which makes our information inputs not just matters of aesthetic taste but also matters of morals and ethics.

Few are worthy of such trust. In his early career, Nietzsche names only eight: Epicurus, Montaigne, Goethe, Spinoza, Plato, Rousseau, Pascal, and Schopenhauer. Only from them, he says, “will I accept judgment.” He has judged them important enough that they will guide all his habits of mind. “In all that I say, conclude, or think out for myself and others, I fasten my eyes on those eight and see their eyes fastened on mine,” he writes.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 16, 2022, 01:26:39 PM »
Speaking of easy marks, the easily propagandized mind of the average #blueanon (numbering in the millions) willfully falls in line behind this lunatic.   

Who as we now know worked for/consulted for "Integrity Initiative" yet another NGO, this time out of the UK.   Which derived a substantial amount of its funding from . . . NATO.    Their mission was to place  self declared "well informed" people throughout various spheres of influence in the EU and beyond.    You know, the people who run around claiming disinformation, but when asked to define disinformation continuously fail miserably at doing so.   Translation:  Disinformation is anything we don't like.   

Further work from #bluanon's most favored Information Ministry Dear Leader (the best part are the responses describing in depth how it was all a Russian intel operation . . . it's puts that extra zeal on the anon part of #blueanon):

https://twitter.com/wiczipedia/status/1319463138107031553?s=20&t=jSYpyfAQcDaqt2JANAA9ow

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2022, 12:19:41 PM »
The (Dis) Information Ministry is on Pause and Nina has drafted her resignation letter.

The usual sources are already pissing and whining about it, as they always do.    The head of our DHS (nor anyone else in this administration) can't even define what disinformation is.   Well, they can provide their own definition but they know that's going to create an even bigger firestorm.   

I can't imagine why anyone would react in a negative way to a Russia-Russia-Russia true believer and someone who has told us that the Biden laptop is another "classic Russian disinformation campaign" . . . on top of the fact that she's consulted with an NGO funded by NATO who purposely installed alleged "thought leaders"  (translated - propagandist) in various governmental bodies across Europe. 

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2022, 01:07:20 PM »
The (Dis) Information Ministry is on Pause and Nina has drafted her resignation letter.

The usual sources are already pissing and whining about it, as they always do.    The head of our DHS (nor anyone else in this administration) can't even define what disinformation is.   Well, they can provide their own definition but they know that's going to create an even bigger firestorm.   

I can't imagine why anyone would react in a negative way to a Russia-Russia-Russia true believer and someone who has told us that the Biden laptop is another "classic Russian disinformation campaign" . . . on top of the fact that she's consulted with an NGO funded by NATO who purposely installed alleged "thought leaders"  (translated - propagandist) in various governmental bodies across Europe.

I am dumbfounded with how out of touch this administration is on everything.  It's beyond pathetic.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2022, 04:08:10 PM »

I am dumbfounded with how out of touch this administration is on everything.  It's beyond pathetic.

They just didn't market it correctly.   They'll put  a better spin on it next time, or quietly fire it up under some other sub agency/department that only someone scouring the Federal registry or similar is going to find.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 03, 2022, 08:06:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/Keubiko/status/1532695209846398976

lmao

btw Brian Sullivan is a shitty wannabe Joe Kernan, Sullivan sucks so hard

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 03, 2022, 08:16:37 AM »
Sullivan is the rough ridin' worst. Tyler Mathisen also awful. MAGA Kernan, soy boy Sorkin…none of these people even work anymore. It’s infuriating. At least Faber and Becky are back.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 03, 2022, 08:53:45 AM »
just make becky the sole host (with correspondents).  i don't know how they can still get guests that agree to let the others ask them questions.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 03, 2022, 09:57:07 AM »
just make becky the sole host (with correspondents).  i don't know how they can still get guests that agree to let the others ask them questions.

you can tell sometimes either kernan or sorkin will get cutoff in the ear piece and they'll have to kick it off to someone else because they are so red in the face. every politician that comes on is a train wreck of an interview. but it's, like, you have to ride it out. you can't just switch over to bowtie boy.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 03, 2022, 11:24:27 AM »
The last few posts chisel multiple things into granite.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 03, 2022, 11:28:10 AM »

they don't just get guests they get like the biggest guests in the business world! All while being extremely unserious.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 22, 2022, 10:28:43 AM »
Any day now super maga Elon

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 23, 2022, 11:56:26 AM »
If there's one thing that will get Elon Mask back into the good graces of your rank and file #blueanonNeoCon, and that's by having one of his companies working hard to ensure that #blueanonNeoCon's war machine is always ahead of our "enemies". 

https://theintercept.com/2022/06/19/spacex-pentagon-elon-musk-space-defense/

#blueanon's most favored tech oligarchs and most favored virtue signaling mega-corps being tied at the hip with our defense complex is a real 6 to midnight event for the average #blueanon'er (numbering in the millions upon millions).

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 23, 2022, 12:09:53 PM »
maga gets played again

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 23, 2022, 12:13:30 PM »
Not very perceptive #slowdug fails to remember (as expected) that most of MAGA's political leaders are big #neocons.  In Trump's case it was stopping more stupid wars, he had no problem in increasing the military budget.  It was the no more stupid wars that drove #blueanonNeoCon/#neoconGe crazy, and they acted accordingly.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 23, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »
Not very perceptive #slowdug fails to remember (as expected) that most of MAGA's political leaders are big #neocons.  In Trump's case it was stopping more stupid wars, he had no problem in increasing the military budget.  It was the no more stupid wars that drove #blueanonNeoCon/#neoconGe crazy, and they acted accordingly.

I was talking about maga giving elon a tender throat job the very second he started to manipulate them by pretending to buy twitter as we all warned them "he is screwing with you morons like Kayne did!'.   

The war thing is obvious, GOP loves the eff out of making war.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 23, 2022, 12:32:12 PM »
If there's one thing that ingratiates a multi-billionaire in the business community and that's "pretending" to make a major acquisition, garnering approval of the board of the company being acquired and taking up the time and effort of mega investment banks in the process.

Extremely astute business mind there, dug.

Oh and then pledging $33 billion dollars of his own fortune to the process, which in turn potentially impacts the way the investment community views the viability of the other businesses should they hit a downturn, as well as near term impacts from the investment community.   :thumbsup:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 23, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »
If there's one thing that ingratiates a multi-billionaire in the business community and that's "pretending" to make a major acquisition, garnering approval of the board of the company being acquired and taking up the time and effort of mega investment banks in the process.

Extremely astute business mind there, dug.

Oh and then pledging $33 billion dollars of his own fortune to the process, which in turn potentially impacts the way the investment community views the viability of the other businesses should they hit a downturn, as well as near term impacts from the investment community.   :thumbsup:

it was stupid, but transparent

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 23, 2022, 12:38:22 PM »
Oh, okay.

Just so we're clear, I was  :lol: at the pretending part.  My astute business minds knows that M&A"s can and do go South.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 23, 2022, 01:35:32 PM »
If there's one thing that will get Elon Mask back into the good graces of your rank and file #blueanonNeoCon, and that's by having one of his companies working hard to ensure that #blueanonNeoCon's war machine is always ahead of our "enemies". 

Ok, I feel like you're just doing it to piss me off, at this point.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 23, 2022, 01:36:27 PM »

:facepalm:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 23, 2022, 01:41:53 PM »

:facepalm:

This post was so predictable.

Cue another round of Spracs seeking affirmation and validation.  Sigh . . .

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 06, 2022, 01:35:40 PM »
What a pickle.  That average Twitterbot employee apparently is having a total meltdown about Musk possibly buying the company.  Meanwhile their ranks are filled up with former representatives of The Man

Once upon a time, the predecessors of #blueanon would have been outraged by this, now rank and file #blueanon (numbering in the millions) welcomes this . . .

https://scheerpost.com/2022/06/22/the-federal-bureau-of-tweets-twitter-is-hiring-an-alarming-number-of-fbi-agents/

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 06, 2022, 02:04:55 PM »

Ok, I feel like you're just doing it to piss me off, at this point.

it's unbelievable