Author Topic: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York  (Read 11411 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Kansas- more liberal abortion laws than New York
« Reply #275 on: August 04, 2022, 01:33:31 PM »

I think part of the problem of the pro-life argument is that, if you truly accept the arguments that fetuses are babies and abortion is murder, there can't be exceptions.  That argument has to end with a total ban because it's banning murder.  There's no real space for exceptions or compromise with the other side when you view (or purposefully depict) them as baby murderers.

IMO, pro-lifers would be a lot better off improving access to birth control and sex education to prevent abortions like Colorado did.  When they are unwilling to take steps that have been proven effective to prevent abortion, I see the goal as not preventing baby murder but as forcing people to live by their religious dogma.
This is wrong.  There can be rational exceptions -- at least in the case of serious health threat to the mother (which is universally excepted in every "near-total" ban i've seen).  I also think there are some fairly compelling arguments in the case of rape (recently i heard some heady lack-of-duty-based argument akin to the violinist thought experiment), but they haven't convinced me.

I agree that accessible birth control should be favored.  Also agree that systems should be in place to help with expenses. 

That's fair for life of the mother - but the process of making an exception for the life of the mother has sounded horrendous and unresonable in a lot of states that have bans. 
It seems fairly plain to me.  All that would be required is for the doctor performing the procedure to provide a legitimate health-basis for the procedure (e.g. "ectopic pregnancy"). Which doctors do pretty routinely for all sorts of things.

Your view that it seems plain is more reasonable, how they actually get implemented has been far more intrusive.  There are states that require multiple doctors to sign off that the health of the mother is at risk.  Because of these laws, many hospitals consult a lawyer.  All of this to make an innocent woman, having likely the worst day of her life, prove she's not committing a crime and wait to receive care while her life is at risk.  Despite following all legal reporting procedures when terminating the pregnancy of a 10 year old child/rape victim, a doctor is being investigated and harassed by the AG of Indiana so he can get publicity.  They allow "exceptions" and then the goal becomes to make those exceptions as few or difficult to access as possible.

While I'd generally like fewer abortions, I trust women to make these decisions for themselves far more than I trust the GOP with them.
Yeah, I don't know.  I don't think it would be overly burdensome for doctors to provide their medical rationale for performing the procedure.  If requiring a second doctor to review and sign of on it is practically unworkable, then it shouldn't be a requirement.  If the health of the mother is at risk, perform the procedure.  Afterwards, write down why you performed it.   

I don't think these problems are without some fairly straightforward solutions.

I want you to stop typing and just sit in a quiet room and think about what you just wrote for five minutes becasue I know how smart you are. 

Doctors already chart and type notes all day long outlying their reasons for medical procedures and for doing what they do. If they don’t, they/their practice/their hospital doesn’t get paid, they lose their license to practice, business can get sued. I mean wtf?

Also, why in gods name would a licensed doctor need another doctor signing off on the medical care they give their patients. Monthly or annual peer reviews? Sure. Double checking what they do on every patient just to allow them to do it? That’s absurd. Should I have to have two doctors sign off on the fact that my child has strept throat so he can get amoxicillin? Required to see two orthos if I want knee surgery? If not, why not? Why just for abortions? Also none of that is straightforward. Medical care is complicated. Also what determines if the mothers life is at risk? What risk counts as “at risk”? 10% chance or more that she’ll die? 20%? 80% chance of death before dlew allows it? Once you have decided a percentage then let me know how that’s calculated? Is that easy and straightforward or do we take things like the mothers age, race, overall health into account as well? If so how are those things added and calculated? Who determines? Who gets sued if the mother wants an abortion because she is at risk but isn’t allowed to because you have determined her to be “not at risk enough” and she dies. None of this is uncomplicated, easy or straightforward. You have to know that.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 04, 2022, 01:45:04 PM »
I want you to stop typing and just sit in a quiet room and think about what you just wrote for five minutes becasue I know how smart you are. 

Doctors already chart and type notes all day long outlying their reasons for medical procedures and for doing what they do. If they don’t, they/their practice/their hospital doesn’t get paid, they lose their license to practice, business can get sued. I mean wtf?
I know all that and acknowledged it in a response you quoted:

All that would be required is for the doctor performing the procedure to provide a legitimate health-basis for the procedure (e.g. "ectopic pregnancy"). Which doctors do pretty routinely for all sorts of things.

Also, why in gods name would a licensed doctor need another doctor signing off on the medical care they give their patients. Monthly or annual peer reviews? Sure. Double checking what they do on every patient just to allow them to do it? That’s absurd. Should I have to have two doctors sign off on the fact that my child has strept throat so he can get amoxicillin? Required to see two orthos if I want knee surgery? If not, why not? Why just for abortions?
Makes no difference to me if one doctor makes the call.  Like I said, if two doctors is unworkable or unnecessarily redundant, get rid of the requirement.

Also what determines if the mothers life is at risk? What risk counts as “at risk”? 10% chance or more that she’ll die? 20%? 80% chance of death before dlew allows it? None of this is uncomplicated, easy or straightforward. You have to know that.
I'm fine with making "life at risk" as broad as necessary.  Any abnormal physical complication is fine by me.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:49:00 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2022, 01:50:48 PM »
Majority of people don’t trust lawmakers to make any kind of changes to current law, and we are seeing why right now ITT.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »
Should the Kansas Constitution be amended so that there is not a right to abortion.

Check yes or no

To argue that was written well and not intended to get a certain result is lolllll

Yeah, I am glad they had to add all that clarification because the actual wording of the question was so stupid.

In the end, VTB and the entire anti-abortion campaign did everything they could to curtail the vote, provide misinformation, and made it all confusion.

-Poorly worded question? Check
-Put it in a primary to try and drive down the vote? Check
-Scream about out of state dark money/the other side is trying to not protect women/the left's false narrative, check, check, check

Include illegal spam texts with blatant lies the afternoon of vote
Yep.  Gotta cut all that crap out.

Will literally never happen.  Like literally never.  Leopards/spots
Well in Kansas, at least, it's back to the drawing board for pro-life'rs.  I think a pretty fundamental shift is warranted after Tuesday.

Until you win over the "abortions for me, not for thee" crowd it is a lost cause.  The vote yes crowd is old, and getting older.  The crowd that will loudly proclaim "vote yes" but then vote no because they have seen who Kansans elect and have children/grandchildren who could find themselves with an unplanned pregnancy won and sacrificed very little in winning.  They will vote no again and again until they get old and crazy.  I know these people.  You know these people.  They go to your church

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 04, 2022, 01:57:04 PM »
Should the Kansas Constitution be amended so that there is not a right to abortion.

Check yes or no

To argue that was written well and not intended to get a certain result is lolllll

Yeah, I am glad they had to add all that clarification because the actual wording of the question was so stupid.

In the end, VTB and the entire anti-abortion campaign did everything they could to curtail the vote, provide misinformation, and made it all confusion.

-Poorly worded question? Check
-Put it in a primary to try and drive down the vote? Check
-Scream about out of state dark money/the other side is trying to not protect women/the left's false narrative, check, check, check

Include illegal spam texts with blatant lies the afternoon of vote
Yep.  Gotta cut all that crap out.

Will literally never happen.  Like literally never.  Leopards/spots
Well in Kansas, at least, it's back to the drawing board for pro-life'rs.  I think a pretty fundamental shift is warranted after Tuesday.

Until you win over the "abortions for me, not for thee" crowd it is a lost cause.  The vote yes crowd is old, and getting older.  The crowd that will loudly proclaim "vote yes" but then vote no because they have seen who Kansans elect and have children/grandchildren who could find themselves with an unplanned pregnancy won and sacrificed very little in winning.  They will vote no again and again until they get old and crazy.  I know these people.  You know these people.  They go to your church
Gotta win enough of the electorate period or it's a lost cause.  I'm just tired of the dirty pool tactics from the pro-life side.  I think it damages the cause more than it helps, and I think that that should be one of the main takeaways for the PL cause from Tuesday.  If you can't convince people the right way, then we lose forever.  End of story.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 04, 2022, 01:59:12 PM »

All that would be required is for the doctor performing the procedure to provide a legitimate health-basis for the procedure (e.g. "ectopic pregnancy"). Which doctors do pretty routinely for all sorts of things.

I don't care if the decision is up to one doctor.  Makes no difference to me if one doctor makes the call.  Like I said, if two doctors is unworkable or unnecessarily redundant, get rid of the requirement.

Also what determines if the mothers life is at risk? What risk counts as “at risk”? 10% chance or more that she’ll die? 20%? 80% chance of death before dlew allows it? None of this is uncomplicated, easy or straightforward. You have to know that.
I'm fine with making "life at risk" as broad as necessary.  Any abnormal physical complication.

Everyone’s definition of abnormal will be different.. Who decides this ridiculously long list of abnormalities? Doctors? If so what group of them and why? How are they individually selected? If not doctors than who? Senate? Congress? A committee? Who’s on the committee and why? State by state or national group of people?  35 year olds are three times as likely to die as a result of pregnancy as a 20 year old is. Does that count as an abnormality or no? Why? Women with high blood pressure are 50% more likely to die. Does that count? Why? What is used to determine high blood pressure? If the high blood pressure could be fixed through medication should the mother be required to take medication to lower her blood pressure and then go through with the birth? Why or why not?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 04, 2022, 02:30:17 PM »

I don't care if the decision is up to one doctor.  Makes no difference to me if one doctor makes the call.  Like I said, if two doctors is unworkable or unnecessarily redundant, get rid of the requirement.

I'm fine with making "life at risk" as broad as necessary.  Any abnormal physical complication.

Everyone’s definition of abnormal will be different.. Who decides this ridiculously long list of abnormalities? Doctors? If so what group of them and why? How are they individually selected? If not doctors than who? Senate? Congress? A committee? Who’s on the committee and why? State by state or national group of people?  35 year olds are three times as likely to die as a result of pregnancy as a 20 year old is. Does that count as an abnormality or no? Why?
I'd be fine with leaving the determination of that to the doctor's individual discretion - so long as a doctor can articulate a legitimate physical health related reason that is a departure from an otherwise unremarkable pregnancy.  I don't think a 35 year old giving birth is "abnormal" and if something like that needs to be spelled out by statute for physicians, then fine. 

If you're uncomfortable with doctors having that amount of agency/responsibility, then sure, get a group of physicians (selected however you think is best) to come up with a physician-endorsed, proper definition of "complication presenting a physical threat to the mother" and codify every single possible scenario. 

I'm not married to any proposal.  But I do think there are ways for medical ethics and the malpractice law to come up with a reasonable ethical and legal framework that largely provides deference to doctors on the question.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 04, 2022, 02:31:32 PM »
Anecdotally (and probably irl given the results) this rallied TF out of the KS low energy politics caring about’er. I have three employees in KS who have never mentioned politics or voting who told me they would be out to vote. And, from what I do know about them, they were all voting for the winning side of this deal (not for certain, just my feel). Your single issue abortion voter is never missing a vote.

I guess it was pretty obvious

https://twitter.com/nataliejennings/status/1555266472880082945

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 04, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »
I'm not married to any proposal.  But I do think there are ways for medical ethics and the malpractice law to come up with a reasonable ethical and legal framework that largely provides deference to doctors on the question.

I think we could talk all day about what you would do and what would be reasonable to you.  I don't think the GOP is largely passing laws or enforcing laws in a manner that matches your same level of reasonableness.  They're deputizing everyone in Texas with the ability to go after someone with a suspicious miscarriage just to make sure there was no abortion.  That's horrific to me.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 04, 2022, 02:58:07 PM »
I'd be fine with leaving the determination of that to the doctor's individual discretion - so long as a doctor can articulate a legitimate physical health related reason that is a departure from an otherwise unremarkable pregnancy.  I don't think a 35 year old giving birth is "abnormal" and if something like that needs to be spelled out by statute for physicians, then fine. 

If you're uncomfortable with doctors having that amount of agency/responsibility, then sure, get a group of physicians (selected however you think is best) to come up with a physician-endorsed, proper definition of "complication presenting a physical threat to the mother" and codify every single possible scenario. 

This is impossible. There will always be overzealous politicians & AGs like the one in Indiana that will push every chance they get. Doctors will be pulled in to “articulate why” for every abortion & within days their employers & their employees lawyers will tell them to stop/delay as much as they can like is happening in Missouri.

My wife had an abruption. Luckily it was late in her pregnancy & we went home with a baby. Her cousin had a partial abruption earlier in her pregnancy. What’s the % abruption allowed? If it’s 20% at 14 weeks, every abruption abortion is going to result in AG Kobach suing for records & subpoenaing doctors to prove it wasn’t 19%.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2022, 03:31:06 PM »

Everyone’s definition of abnormal will be different.. Who decides this ridiculously long list of abnormalities? Doctors? If so what group of them and why? How are they individually selected? If not doctors than who? Senate? Congress? A committee? Who’s on the committee and why? State by state or national group of people?  35 year olds are three times as likely to die as a result of pregnancy as a 20 year old is. Does that count as an abnormality or no? Why?

So you don’t personally think a 35 year old giving birth is abnormal. Fine. What about a 52 year old? What about a 10 year old? Those are serious questions so take a minute before you answer them if you want.

What if an individual doctor in Salina does think that a 35 year old trying to have a baby is a worthwhile reason to abort though because that person is three times more likely to die than his patients who are 20? Are your going to be ok with that? Also, What if she is 35 with cancer and diabetes? Does it matter what stage the cancer is in? Does it matter what kind?  What if a different doctor thinks that high blood pressure is a reason because they are also more likely to die? Are you personally going to be ok with that or are you going to say oh that’s bullshit and they’re just using her high blood pressure as an excuse. I mean they are doctors giving medical reasons that prove it to be a higher than normal risk for pregnancy. You will be ok with that though. I just gave a couple of examples. There are thousands of individual factors which make a pregnancy more at risk to the mother. Thousands. You want to weigh in on all of them? Does that sound “reasonable”? You think we’ll get the American public or every doctor to agree on all of them?

I also don’t think you can honestly say it should be easy to throw a doctor and a lawyer in a room and come up with every contingency. It isn’t possible. You can’t honestly believe that. First, you aren’t going to get a group of people to agree and if you do then you cherry picked the people based on what you already knew about them. There are also way way way too many individual medical issues/complications/problems to make rules or laws on them all. The flowchart would be almost infinite.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 04, 2022, 03:34:35 PM »
It’s almost like people should leave doctoring to doctors and get their self-righteous asses somewhere else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2022, 03:35:45 PM »
The nice thing about the law being the way that it is is that the doctor can tell the patient exactly what the risk factors are and then the patient can decide for herself if she wants to accept those risks.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
The nice thing about the law being the way that it is is that the doctor can tell the patient exactly what the risk factors are and then the patient can decide for herself if she wants to accept those risks.

The ultimate small govt solution

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2022, 05:25:29 PM »

So you don’t personally think a 35 year old giving birth is abnormal. Fine. What about a 52 year old? What about a 10 year old? Those are serious questions so take a minute before you answer them if you want.

What if an individual doctor in Salina does think that a 35 year old trying to have a baby is a worthwhile reason to abort though because that person is three times more likely to die than his patients who are 20? Are your going to be ok with that? Also, What if she is 35 with cancer and diabetes? Does it matter what stage the cancer is in? Does it matter what kind?  What if a different doctor thinks that high blood pressure is a reason because they are also more likely to die? Are you personally going to be ok with that or are you going to say oh that’s bullshit and they’re just using her high blood pressure as an excuse. I mean they are doctors giving medical reasons that prove it to be a higher than normal risk for pregnancy. You will be ok with that though. I just gave a couple of examples. There are thousands of individual factors which make a pregnancy more at risk to the mother. Thousands. You want to weigh in on all of them? Does that sound “reasonable”? You think we’ll get the American public or every doctor to agree on all of them?

I also don’t think you can honestly say it should be easy to throw a doctor and a lawyer in a room and come up with every contingency. It isn’t possible. You can’t honestly believe that. First, you aren’t going to get a group of people to agree and if you do then you cherry picked the people based on what you already knew about them. There are also way way way too many individual medical issues/complications/problems to make rules or laws on them all. The flowchart would be almost infinite.
If a doctor has a reasonable, good faith belief that pregnancy presents a significant threat to the life of someone with hypertension or stage four breast cancer, who am I to say whether any of that's true?  I'm not a doctor.  But this question/issue isn't novel at all.  "Necessary to protect the mother's life or health" comes from Roe. The question (or some version of it) already exists throughout state abortion laws -- including in Kansas and California and New York and many other places, and has for a long time.  Doctors have been asked and answered the question throughout the country for 50 years. 

So your question about the 35 year old with diabetes and/or cancer trying to abort in Salina?  If she goes to that doctor, today, and asks for an abortion at 21 weeks, the same "life or health" question gets asked and a good faith determination by the doctor has to be made. 

Regardless, I think there are enough cases (read, the vast majority) where the procedure isn't performed for any real physical health risk reason.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 04, 2022, 05:35:09 PM »
Regardless, I think there are enough cases (read, the vast majority) where the procedure isn't performed for any real physical health risk reason.

I mean, child birth is pretty risky

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 04, 2022, 05:42:18 PM »

I mean, child birth is pretty risky
This is the attitude that I fear will make any exceptions in these forthcoming laws a nightmare. Roe is gone. States are free to be as restrictive as they want, and I fear the state will start butting into these private medical decisions.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #292 on: August 04, 2022, 06:11:02 PM »
I know this is a contentious topic, but I want to point out that although I disagree with dlew12 I think he's doing a stand up job of stating his case in a forum where he's clearly outnumbered. It's very easy to just start dropping bombs and I appreciate him.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2022, 06:13:56 PM »
I know this is a contentious topic, but I want to point out that although I disagree with dlew12 I think he's doing a stand up job of stating his case in a forum where he's clearly outnumbered. It's very easy to just start dropping bombs and I appreciate him.

Agreed. And this is the only forum I know of where this conversation can be had civilly.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2022, 06:17:26 PM »

Agreed. And this is the only forum I know of where this conversation can be had civilly.
Dreamweaver69 does not approve this post.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 04, 2022, 06:27:52 PM »

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 04, 2022, 08:24:28 PM »
Only 18 counties voted no, looks like we need an electoral college

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 04, 2022, 09:24:27 PM »
Who were the “both” in “value them both?”

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 04, 2022, 09:54:30 PM »
No pro lifer on earth has made the concessions that dqlew has.

It’s not even fathomable