Author Topic: Claws’s Legacy  (Read 13506 times)

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Claws’s Legacy
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »
It makes me sad to know he never won a tournament game.
played against uk

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 10:00:15 AM »
It makes me sad to know he never won a tournament game.
played against uk
Then I am happy again.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
I feel bad about his foot and I'm just not saying that.  I'm not sure what he's saving it for?  Any big man we've had that have been that talented I think would play;

Fred McCoy  = play
Luis Colon = duh
Big white kid from wichita that was supposed to be hot crap but really wasn't = play
Matt Siebrandt  = play  (once got a tat before a game and still suited.)

These are the men I remember.
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
Well that and Wake Forest counts on paper too. I'm sure that's what chings was hinting at tho however.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:58 AM »
Get out of here with that, what a garbage thing to say.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 10:40:04 AM »
How many players have we had put together back to back big 12 first team seasons? I think it’s only Jake and Dean.

Is this a sign of a great player or a weaker conference?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »
Really fun player to watch. 1st team in back to back years is impressive, especially with most of this year on a sore foot.

I feel awful for him that this type of injury happened again. He won't get a chance to leave the type of legacy he could have because of something completely out of his control. It sucks.

However, he was part of a league title team and a really good 4 year player. Probably not quite rafter worthy IMO, but will be one of my favorites along with Barry for a long time.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 10:54:35 AM »
How many players have we had put together back to back big 12 first team seasons? I think it’s only Jake and Dean.

Last year we had 4 sweet sixteen teams and 3 elite 8 teams from the conference, so I'm not sure the latter checks out.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 10:58:56 AM »

A weaker conference compared to when? I think the big 12 was as good this year as it has been historically.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 11:01:42 AM »

The Big 12 lacks a top dog on par with the ACC, SEC, or even Big 10 this year, but top to bottom the league is still very good. Still rated 1 or 2 in any and all metrics out here.

As for star power, probably a fair point. A couple guys in the mock draft first round and a few more in the 2nd, not a ton of star power. If Dean had remained healthy this year and last I have to think he'd be getting 2nd round mentions.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 11:12:43 AM »
I don't really care that much, but imo there is no way he should have his jersey retired.  Barry I guess I will listen to arguments about.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 11:30:34 AM »

Last year we had 4 sweet sixteen teams and 3 elite 8 teams from the conference, so I'm not sure the latter checks out.

Good point

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:42 AM »
Dean has been a great player, and I have enjoyed watching him on the court.  I think Dean had potential to be even better than what we have seen if he didn't have these lingering foot injuries.  Super sad.

That being said, I don't think his jersey will be in the rafters.

Also...someone mentioned strength of conference.  That is hard to gauge for me, but crazy looking back and seeing KU win it last year with 1 more loss than KSU/Tech this year....and they won it by 2 games.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »
I don't really care that much, but imo there is no way he should have his jersey retired.  Barry I guess I will listen to arguments about.

Agreed.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 11:45:39 AM »
Would like to see them both but honestly I’m not sure what the general metrics for being deserving are.  I think we have had that discussion before but it’s been long enough that I don’t remember the general consensus. I would guess that Dean was a better player in advanced metrics but _fan probably has the data.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
There's no correlation between whose jerseys are hanging or will hang in the fOOD and who were the GOAT EMAWs.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 11:52:34 AM »
How deep we go in the tournament could potentially have a huge impact on how Brown is remembered. (As it should!)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 12:33:25 PM »
Brown will be in the record books for a long time. I think he deserves an all time spot regardless of what happens this tournament.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 12:40:21 PM »

Correct take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
I will listen to arguments on a Wade giant bobblehead, not on jersey retirement.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2019, 01:07:32 PM »
a pretty big plus that wade has going in his favor is that he is a kansas kid. for some reason that makes a difference in how people think of players. like, people love sproles and jordy but they love them a lot more because they both grew up in ks and went to ks highschools. if barry was from abilene and dean was from wisconsin, it would be amazing how much more love bbj would get and how much less dean would get. boom there's a new take for everyone.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2019, 01:10:15 PM »
I think Dean will be a pretty great b-ball alum as well. I think we will see him at a lot of Cats games/events going forward.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2019, 01:14:17 PM »
I will listen to arguments on a Wade giant bobblehead, not on jersey retirement.

This seems like a good compromise.  Would like for him to be wearing a dean wolf shirt.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »
I think Dean will be a pretty great b-ball alum as well. I think we will see him at a lot of Cats games/events going forward.
Best keep up our ADA compliance
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:40:18 PM by Phil Titola »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2019, 01:31:39 PM »
a pretty big plus that wade has going in his favor is that he is a kansas kid. for some reason that makes a difference in how people think of players. like, people love sproles and jordy but they love them a lot more because they both grew up in ks and went to ks highschools. if barry was from abilene and dean was from wisconsin, it would be amazing how much more love bbj would get and how much less dean would get. boom there's a new take for everyone.

This is correct. I resemble this as well.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.