Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1017266 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #2575 on: August 23, 2013, 12:53:34 AM »
Kick ass 2 -  dragged the first 20-30 minutes, really rough ridin' great after that.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: August 25, 2013, 03:42:43 PM »
Trance
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924429/
Three!

Amour
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1602620/
By showing the first scene and seeing the woman's end explicitly, the open-end with the man is incorrect and flawed, prompting simple curiosity, instead of emotional or intellectual depth. However, there are things to be seen, here.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: August 26, 2013, 07:10:18 PM »
Has anyone watched "Religulous", made by uber-stud Bill Maher? PoetWarrior, your thoughts?!

:surprised:

In Religulous, Bill Maher sets out to make you question what you think you know about God, telling you everything church leaders don't want you to know. He interrogates everyone from truck stop parishioners to pious scientists to visitors of a holy amusement park, poking holes in their beliefs by pointing out things like how the original sin isn't mentioned in the Bible or how the Christ mythology is eerily similar to other ancient religions.

Man, that's some incriminating evidence right there. How come the entire Catholic church hasn't collapsed under the weight of this one documentary?

The Fallacy:

All this "Jesus was copied from earlier religions" stuff has been going around the Internet for a while, and it will make you look awesome if you post it on a Halo message board, but none of it is true. The Egyptian links have been debunked by actual Egyptologists.

That's ancient Egyptian for "bullshit."

Let's start with the "virgin births" part: You've gotta make some pretty big logical jumps to claim that any of those earlier gods were born from virgins, having come from a mother seven times over (Krishna), some freaky necrophilia (Horus), and a rough ridin' rock (Mithras).

Then there's the resurrection thing. Contrary to Maher's claims, Mithras was never resurrected, and the older versions of the guy's story don't have any of the Jesus similarities -- those came about in the first or second century A.D. (that is, after Jesus was born). Horus, like Mithras, was also never resurrected, didn't have 12 apostles, and didn't raise Asar from the dead (which doesn't translate to "Lazarus" even a little bit). There isn't even any record of a figure call Anup the Baptizer; the closest we come is Anubis, the god of embalming, which astute readers will note is a leeeeeetle different from baptism.

Oh, by the way, original sin is totally in the Bible, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a scholar who disagrees with the overwhelming evidence that a person (not necessarily a divine being) matching Jesus' description existed during his purported lifetime. So where did Maher get all this crap? Probably from the viral "documentary" Zeitgeist (which doesn't cite any sources) or, and this is a serious possibility, the rough ridin' Da Vinci Code (which is about as historically accurate as the movie Splash).

None of this means the Christian Bible is right or that it represents the one true religion. But if you think something is bullshit, the answer is not more bullshit.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: August 26, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »
the new Judge Dredd is fun (amazon prime) and way better Stallone and Schneider's version.  Doesn't try too hard. 

Offline FunruhCat76

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2580 on: August 26, 2013, 09:06:12 PM »
saw The World's End over the weekend.  It was funny, but not a must see in the theaters.  Would be a solid redbox

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: August 26, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
the new Judge Dredd is fun (amazon prime) and way better Stallone and Schneider's version.  Doesn't try too hard.
I concur, i thought it was a very fun movie, its a shame they did such a piss poor job advertising it (does anyone remember when it was actually in theaters?) and the option on the movie for a sequel didn't get hit.

I also just finished watching Trance... definitely kept you guessing, though it was tough to get really engaged into the movie when the premise of hypnotherapy is BS... i had the same problem watching Oldboy, fwiw.  Though i liked both films.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 26, 2013, 09:29:25 PM »
I watched olympus has fallen, pleasantly surprised but it was good for what it was

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: August 26, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
I watched olympus has fallen, pleasantly surprised but it was good for what it was

I binged out half way through it.  First half was funnish.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: August 26, 2013, 09:31:19 PM »

I loved it.  There was some discussion about it earlier in this thread.  Very good movie.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: August 27, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
You're Next was a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was a lot different than most horror movies.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: August 27, 2013, 10:37:50 AM »
Has anyone watched "Religulous", made by uber-stud Bill Maher? PoetWarrior, your thoughts?!

:surprised:

In Religulous, Bill Maher sets out to make you question what you think you know about God, telling you everything church leaders don't want you to know. He interrogates everyone from truck stop parishioners to pious scientists to visitors of a holy amusement park, poking holes in their beliefs by pointing out things like how the original sin isn't mentioned in the Bible or how the Christ mythology is eerily similar to other ancient religions.

Man, that's some incriminating evidence right there. How come the entire Catholic church hasn't collapsed under the weight of this one documentary?

The Fallacy:

All this "Jesus was copied from earlier religions" stuff has been going around the Internet for a while, and it will make you look awesome if you post it on a Halo message board, but none of it is true. The Egyptian links have been debunked by actual Egyptologists.

That's ancient Egyptian for "bullshit."

Let's start with the "virgin births" part: You've gotta make some pretty big logical jumps to claim that any of those earlier gods were born from virgins, having come from a mother seven times over (Krishna), some freaky necrophilia (Horus), and a rough ridin' rock (Mithras).

Then there's the resurrection thing. Contrary to Maher's claims, Mithras was never resurrected, and the older versions of the guy's story don't have any of the Jesus similarities -- those came about in the first or second century A.D. (that is, after Jesus was born). Horus, like Mithras, was also never resurrected, didn't have 12 apostles, and didn't raise Asar from the dead (which doesn't translate to "Lazarus" even a little bit). There isn't even any record of a figure call Anup the Baptizer; the closest we come is Anubis, the god of embalming, which astute readers will note is a leeeeeetle different from baptism.

Oh, by the way, original sin is totally in the Bible, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a scholar who disagrees with the overwhelming evidence that a person (not necessarily a divine being) matching Jesus' description existed during his purported lifetime. So where did Maher get all this crap? Probably from the viral "documentary" Zeitgeist (which doesn't cite any sources) or, and this is a serious possibility, the rough ridin' Da Vinci Code (which is about as historically accurate as the movie Splash).

None of this means the Christian Bible is right or that it represents the one true religion. But if you think something is bullshit, the answer is not more bullshit.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: August 27, 2013, 01:46:05 PM »
You're Next was a whole lot better than I thought it was going to be. It was a lot different than most horror movies.

I've read this a lot, been meaning to see it this week.  Maybe tonight.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: August 27, 2013, 10:38:38 PM »
Trance
Three!

Three what?

Anyone seen this that can give an adequate review?  Or any other movie that's good and out on DVD/TV/Netflix.

I'm about to rewatch 28 days later since it just came on.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »
Trance
Three!

Three what?

Anyone seen this that can give an adequate review?  Or any other movie that's good and out on DVD/TV/Netflix.

An art auctioneer who has become mixed up with a group of criminals partners with a hypnotherapist in order to recover a lost painting. And tits.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:11 PM »
Trance
Three!

Three what?

An art auctioneer who has become mixed up with a group of criminals partners with a hypnotherapist in order to recover a lost painting. And tits.

I know what it's about.  I'm asking if it's any good, besides the tits.    :star:?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: August 27, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »
Trance
Three!

Three what?

I know what it's about.  I'm asking if it's any good, besides the tits.    :star:?

Ehh, if you watched it on Netflicks, you wouldn't hate yourself for it.  But i wouldn't pay-per-view it or anything... the whole plot centering around quacky hypnotherapy felt cheap, but still good acting an story arch.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: August 27, 2013, 10:50:54 PM »
Trance
Three!

Three what?

Ehh, if you watched it on Netflicks, you wouldn't hate yourself for it.  But i wouldn't pay-per-view it or anything... the whole plot centering around quacky hypnotherapy felt cheap, but still good acting an story arch.

Hmm.. bummer.  Anyone seen the The Place beyond the Pines?  Or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
Trance
Three!

Three what?

Hmm.. bummer.  Anyone seen the The Place beyond the Pines?  Or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy?
I likes Place Beyond the Pines, but it seems to drag, its essentially 3 short films, loosely related, butted up against one another.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: August 27, 2013, 10:55:06 PM »
Trance
Three!

Three what?

I likes Place Beyond the Pines, but it seems to drag, its essentially 3 short films, loosely related, butted up against one another.

Yeah, that's originally why I didn't just go ahead and watch it.  It's like over 3 hours.  Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2595 on: August 27, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »
Also, while watching BBC America just now I realized Stringer Bell is English.  I'm sure I'm an idiot for not knowing but  :horrorsurprise:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: August 27, 2013, 11:53:10 PM »
Place beyond the pines is my favorite movie of the year so far.

Offline Demo158

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: August 28, 2013, 02:02:50 AM »
Mud was rough ridin' great!

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: August 28, 2013, 09:27:12 AM »
i watched "The Good Doctor" last night. pretty intriguing and disturbing, glad i watched it though.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: August 28, 2013, 09:30:40 AM »
has Elysium been discussed yet?  probably. 

I saw it friday.  meh.