Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1015717 times)

Offline LHarKSUCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #1550 on: January 22, 2013, 08:18:32 AM »
Saw Dredd.  Liked it.  Zero character background or development though.  Would have been nice to throw in a little backstory at least.  Nothing.  Just give me like ten minutes explaining what Dredd's deal is and how he became what he is and then get to killing folks.

I also just watched Dredd last night.. I agree, bloody mindless entertainment

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: January 22, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
Inception still doesn't make sense. Nobody who likes it can explain it to me. "We have to go deeper". Why? What does that accomplish? If it wasn't for the last 10 seconds, no one would have remembered it.

SPOILER: Looper was fun, it did a lot of things well. But like a lot of time travel movies, it didn't account for one huge flaw. oscar Willis would have never gone back if there was no Rainmaker. Since oscar Willis went back, there is no Rainmaker. So the entire premise is based on the makes of the movie praying that the viewers don't notice that.

And the Avengers was awful. Don't get me started on all the flaws in that movie. Okay, I'll give you the funniest one. "I can't control when I turn into The Hulk. It's whenever I get angry" - The Hulk. "I learned how to control it. I'm always angry" - The Hulk, 5 minutes later.

SPOILER: oscar Willis shot the Rainmakers' mother, turning the child into the Rainmaker. The Rainmaker only existed because oscar Willis was going to go back in time and kill his mother. Nothing in the timeline was changed until young oscar Willis shot himself. At that point, the mother was no longer shot because oscar didn't live long enough to go back in time to shoot her.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
Inception still doesn't make sense. Nobody who likes it can explain it to me. "We have to go deeper". Why? What does that accomplish? If it wasn't for the last 10 seconds, no one would have remembered it.

SPOILER: Looper was fun, it did a lot of things well. But like a lot of time travel movies, it didn't account for one huge flaw. oscar Willis would have never gone back if there was no Rainmaker. Since oscar Willis went back, there is no Rainmaker. So the entire premise is based on the makes of the movie praying that the viewers don't notice that.

And the Avengers was awful. Don't get me started on all the flaws in that movie. Okay, I'll give you the funniest one. "I can't control when I turn into The Hulk. It's whenever I get angry" - The Hulk. "I learned how to control it. I'm always angry" - The Hulk, 5 minutes later.

SPOILER: oscar Willis shot the Rainmakers' mother, turning the child into the Rainmaker. The Rainmaker only existed because oscar Willis was going to go back in time and kill his mother. Nothing in the timeline was changed until young oscar Willis shot himself. At that point, the mother was no longer shot because oscar didn't live long enough to go back in time to shoot her.

Any time travel movie has infinite holes.  I thought Looper did a good job of not getting to deep into the time travel, gave you a basic premise of it to accept, and moved on with the movie.  The more you try to explain it, the more holes you will cause.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: January 22, 2013, 09:57:16 AM »

Any time travel movie has infinite holes.  I thought Looper did a good job of not getting to deep into the time travel, gave you a basic premise of it to accept, and moved on with the movie.  The more you try to explain it, the more holes you will cause.

Yeah, the whole idea of being able to travel backwards in time is completely Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!), but Looper did a better job than most of avoiding the holes. A machine that only travels into the future would be much more plausible.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: January 22, 2013, 10:04:03 AM »
Looper was prett decent.  Whatsherface was really hot.  But, I was annoyed by how thinly developed was the necessity of loopers.  I mean, there was literally 10 seconds of dialogue in the opening scene explaining that it's really difficult to hide bodies in the future.  Wtf?  That's the best, and only reason?

Saw les mis.  Hated it.  Guess I lack requisite cultural aptitude.  Saw zero dark 30.  Incredible. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: January 22, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
Looper was prett decent.  Whatsherface was really hot.  But, I was annoyed by how thinly developed was the necessity of loopers.  I mean, there was literally 10 seconds of dialogue in the opening scene explaining that it's really difficult to hide bodies in the future.  Wtf?  That's the best, and only reason?

I agree. It would make more sense to kill them in the future and just send the dead body back for disposal.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: January 22, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

I agree. It would make more sense to kill them in the future and just send the dead body back for disposal.

Yes.  Or better yet, kill them in the past so they never exist in the future.  This is what the did with the rainmaker.  Avoid future event by altering the past. 

Granted, there would be a whole host of unintended, collateral consequences of killing people in the past.  But, it would have made a better movie to me. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »
I liked Looper, but I agree on the underdevelopment of the need for loopers.

Saw Les Mis and thought is was just ok. One of my friends said she cried at it, and I was like "Really?"

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: January 23, 2013, 12:52:50 AM »

Except for oscar Willis' wife. Apparentely it's easy to kill her and dispose of her in the future. Also, the fact that he took so long to get into the machine in the future should have absolutely zero effect on when he reaches a certain point back in time.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: January 23, 2013, 12:57:21 AM »

Except for oscar Willis' wife. Apparentely it's easy to kill her and dispose of her in the future. Also, the fact that he took so long to get into the machine in the future should have absolutely zero effect on when he reaches a certain point back in time.
why don't you two knowitalls sit around and just diagram everything with straws...

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: January 23, 2013, 07:57:42 AM »
Saw Dredd.  Liked it.  Zero character background or development though.  Would have been nice to throw in a little backstory at least.  Nothing.  Just give me like ten minutes explaining what Dredd's deal is and how he became what he is and then get to killing folks.

I agree with you guys.

It was actually really refreshing to have them simply say, "Ya, this is a graphic shoot 'em up show, we don't need the sappy back story crap."  I respected that.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: January 23, 2013, 08:51:05 AM »

Maybe the time machine was set to go back by certain amount of time (i.e. 30 years exactly to the second) not to a specific time.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: January 23, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »

I agree with you guys.

It was actually really refreshing to have them simply say, "Ya, this is a graphic shoot 'em up show, we don't need the sappy back story crap."  I respected that.

You're spot on, but they did give MaMa and the rookie telepath each brief origin stories.  I'm a sucker for even token character mythologies.  I wanted one for Dredd. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: January 23, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »

why don't you two knowitalls sit around and just diagram everything with straws...

How we got to this point in time is very poorly developed and that throws off the reasoning behind a lot of things in the movie.

I've yet to hear a good explanation besides "JGL was in it, man!" for why Looper was a good movie. Crazy how it got such good reviews...

Doesn't even come close to a movie like inception or minority report as far as the story goes. Good thought to go outside the box with the whole time travel idea, but it was poorly executed. It should be called Looper because of all the stupid plot holes in the movie!
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
Saw The Hobbit the other day.  LOVED IT
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 23, 2013, 12:02:10 PM »

Maybe the time machine was set to go back by certain amount of time (i.e. 30 years exactly to the second) not to a specific time.

i was briefly a film major at KU, and in my expert opinion you are 100 percent correct.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 23, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
I've yet to hear a good explanation besides "JGL was in it, man!" for why Looper was a good movie. Crazy how it got such good reviews...
It's a good movie because it takes a necessarily illogical concept like time travel and creates an interesting story around it.  It also explores some pretty cool philosophical questions.  Also, the little boy is terrific.  It's got action and silly fun and comedy and heroism and tragedy and eye drugs and telekinetics and gangsters and it's all set in Kansas.  It's a damn good movie.

No crap there are plotholes in the movie about time travel.  It's a movie about time travel.  I'm sure you all sat around during BTTF II and noted all the necessary inconsistencies with BTTF I and hated the entire experience. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: January 23, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »
No crap there are plotholes in the movie about time travel.  It's a movie about time travel.

I was pretty much just typing this. I thought it was alot of fun. oscar's napkins and straws and crap dismissal of how senseless time travel is was enough for me. I really liked that it was set it MEGAWICHITA, KS. Really brings our great state some cred.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: January 23, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »
and emily blunt.   :love:  even as a blonde!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: January 23, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
No crap there are plotholes in the movie about time travel.  It's a movie about time travel.

I was pretty much just typing this. I thought it was alot of fun. oscar's napkins and straws and crap dismissal of how senseless time travel is was enough for me. I really liked that it was set it MEGAWICHITA, KS. Really brings our great state some cred.
Is that the consensus?  Was pretty sure it was MEGALENEXA...

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 23, 2013, 01:09:30 PM »
For the record, I'm not trying to say Looper was bad. It was slightly above "meh". I've argued with people who think it was crap. I know time travel movies are going to have a lot of plot holes, but there were more than necessary in this one. No one has explained to me why they needed to have the future Paul Dano come to the place where they ran the operation in order to kill him. Why not just kill present Paul Dano? You know? Although admittedly, that was an amazing scene. Just wish they could have made it happen in a way that made sense.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 23, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »

Is that the consensus?  Was pretty sure it was MEGALENEXA...
topography is what makes me lean wichita. plus I've barely been to wichita ever so it makes it much easier for me to suspend belief. Wichita could already be exactly like that for all i know.

Offline SwiftCat

• #LIFE
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Depth Charge
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #1572 on: January 23, 2013, 01:53:42 PM »
Also, the little boy is terrific.

Yeah I forgot to mention this. He was great.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 23, 2013, 11:13:06 PM »

100% agreed. Amazing kid acting is so hard to make work, and when it does, it really makes the movie stand out. It's the only reason I liked Super 8, and the main reason I like Man on Fire, The Sandlot, and ET.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 23, 2013, 11:31:24 PM »

100% agreed. Amazing kid acting is so hard to make work, and when it does, it really makes the movie stand out. It's the only reason I liked Super 8, and the main reason I like Man on Fire, The Sandlot, and ET.
remember when we saw Moonrise Kingdom, Jakesie?  Even though we disagree about Looper, I think we can both agree about what a great afternoon, watching excellent kid acting, we shared together.