Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1011023 times)

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #7925 on: February 23, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »
I watched Signs earlier today

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7926 on: February 23, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
I have never seen Ex Machine so I need another movie comparison to see if I'm a dumbass who will like Arrival.

Or you could get off your ass and watch Ex Machina.

Sigh, alright, another comparison.... Inception? Interstellar? Those movies were at least somewhat entertaining (if too long) so not a perfect comparison to the lifeless, dull mediocrity that is EM and Arrival, but you've got the same basic "dumb people think this movie is really profound when it really isn't" vibe to them.
nobody thinks EM is this insanely profound movie.

that said, it is a clever little movie that causes the audience (or me, at least) to really identify with the protagonist and make the same mistake he did.  it was great, great storytelling.  if you watched that movie and walked away thinking "this is a movie for idiots," then maybe you're just not that into movies.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7927 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
I didn't think Ex Machina was anything like Innerstellar. I imagine there's some sort of robot movie that is similar. Ex Machina is about robots that look like models. It's pretty suspenseful and unique IMO.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7928 on: February 23, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »
I didn't think Ex Machina was anything like Innerstellar. I imagine there's some sort of robot movie that is similar. Ex Machina is about robots that look like models. It's pretty suspenseful and unique IMO.
I think ex machina shares a lot of themes with Her.  though EM is darker. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7929 on: February 23, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
I have never seen Ex Machine so I need another movie comparison to see if I'm a dumbass who will like Arrival.

Eyes Wide Shut

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7930 on: February 23, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »
Eyes wide shut   :love: :love: :love:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7932 on: February 23, 2017, 02:47:18 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7933 on: February 23, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
Vanilla Sky. Great film.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7934 on: February 23, 2017, 03:15:28 PM »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7935 on: February 23, 2017, 03:19:28 PM »
:lol:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: February 23, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

Sigh, alright, another comparison.... Inception? Interstellar? Those movies were at least somewhat entertaining (if too long) so not a perfect comparison to the lifeless, dull mediocrity that is EM and Arrival, but you've got the same basic "dumb people think this movie is really profound when it really isn't" vibe to them.

that said, it is a clever little movie that causes the audience (or me, at least) to really identify with the protagonist and make the same mistake he did.  it was great, great storytelling.  if you watched that movie and walked away thinking "this is a movie for idiots," then maybe you're just not that into movies.

Just a sampling.... https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=ex+machina+profound&oq=ex+machina+profound&gs_l=hp.3...1517.5956.0.6355.19.15.0.4.4.0.345.2184.3j11j0j1.15.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..0.18.2122...0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1.C6oHaBl14h0

Critics raved over this movie. It wasn't insightful, thoughtful, profound, or any of the other glowing adjectives affixed to it. SPOILER ALERT!! Tony Stark make an AI robot that's super hawt. Dweeb wants to have sex with super hawt AI robot. Turns out (gasp), super hawt AI robot doesn't really care about having sex, but figures out it can use Dweeb's horniness to escape, because of its AI made by Tony Stark. That's the entire plot of Ex Machina. The dialogue wasn't memorable. The acting wasn't memorable (except the dance scene). /Spoilers.

Granted, part of the problem was my expectations going in. If I had gone in cold I expect I would have concluded "eh, that was ok." But based on the glowing reviews I left the movie thinking "WTF is wrong with all these clowns?"
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: February 23, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »
Mocat and I nailed it, too much boobs 'n pubes

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: February 24, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »

Just a sampling.... https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=ex+machina+profound&oq=ex+machina+profound&gs_l=hp.3...1517.5956.0.6355.19.15.0.4.4.0.345.2184.3j11j0j1.15.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..0.18.2122...0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1.C6oHaBl14h0

Critics raved over this movie. It wasn't insightful, thoughtful, profound, or any of the other glowing adjectives affixed to it. SPOILER ALERT!! Tony Stark make an AI robot that's super hawt. Dweeb wants to have sex with super hawt AI robot. Turns out (gasp), super hawt AI robot doesn't really care about having sex, but figures out it can use Dweeb's horniness to escape, because of its AI made by Tony Stark. That's the entire plot of Ex Machina. The dialogue wasn't memorable. The acting wasn't memorable (except the dance scene). /Spoilers.

Granted, part of the problem was my expectations going in. If I had gone in cold I expect I would have concluded "eh, that was ok." But based on the glowing reviews I left the movie thinking "WTF is wrong with all these clowns?"

Yeah.  From my experience relying on the "critics" opinion usually leads to disappointment.

Since you disliked Ex Machina so much, I am curious as to what other Sci-Fi movies you would consider to be good or great.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: February 24, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »
Dub is probably more of an American Sniper guy

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: February 24, 2017, 08:51:01 AM »

googling "ex machine profound" and using to support your fresh, hot take is pretty funny. I googled "ex machina bad". results are below. I guess we're at a standstill.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=ex+machina+profound&oq=ex+machina+profound&gs_l=hp.3...1517.5956.0.6355.19.15.0.4.4.0.345.2184.3j11j0j1.15.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..0.18.2122...0j0i131k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j33i21k1.C6oHaBl14h0#q=ex+machina+bad&*

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: February 24, 2017, 08:54:42 AM »
I love sci-fi movies. There's the ones that are just fun to watch and re-watch based on good imagery, action, and story - stuff like Mad Max Fury Road, pretty much anything from James Cameron, Fifth Element, etc.

But because I dissed Ex Machina, here are some of the more "thoughtful" sci-fi movies I really enjoyed.

Gattaca
Moon
These Final Hours
Children of Men
The Road
12 Monkeys
Brazil
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: February 24, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
too many Terry Gilliam fans on this god-forsaken blog

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: February 24, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »
I've fallen asleep the last 2 nights trying to watch Superman vs Batman.  The most interesting thing so far is that Metropolis and Gotham are apparently right across the bay from each other like Oakland and San Francisco?  Did anyone else know this?  Why is Batman even a thing?  I feel like superman could probably handle the whole bay area.  He would have punched the jokers head off in about 2 seconds.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: February 24, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
Superman with binoculars on top of Daily Planet building:  "Oh wow look at that the Joker has that hospital all rigged up with explosives and is going to kill thousands of people maybe I should take 3 seconds and go easily stop him and save everyone... but it's all the way over there, and I'm sure Batman has it under control.  I'm going to go take a bath with my clothes on."

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: February 24, 2017, 12:05:59 PM »
It's been well documented that superman is super pud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: February 24, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
if there is something worse than a pseudo intellect crashing down on people who enjoyed ex machina the movie then I'd like to know about it.

:thumbsup:
Didn't watch Ex Machina because I thought it was smart, I watched it because it was unique and very watchable.  I'm old enough to remember when Blade Runner came out, and it was unique and very watchable--and also became a classic.  Don't know if Ex Machina will do the same, but it might.  Both of these movies were fails at the box office.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: February 24, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
Someone fall on the grenade and go see Great Wall and tell us if it's even tolerable.  Lil' Pete wants to see it, and I'm like "I don't know, pal, I don't know."

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: February 24, 2017, 03:14:54 PM »
Looks worse than awful

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: February 24, 2017, 03:21:04 PM »
I just appreciate that Matt Damon made a movie called the Great Wall. And it does look like a beautiful wall.