Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1017183 times)

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #4050 on: July 09, 2014, 02:24:33 PM »
j-dub that was a spracnesque post not wackyesque.  :D

I'll try to catch it on Netflix if possible.

i actually wondered.. if this board becomes a host of spracnes i'm just gonna retire now.

too much guessing who is and is not grammatically challenged. exhausting.
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: July 09, 2014, 02:33:41 PM »

i actually wondered.. if this board becomes a host of spracnes i'm just gonna retire now.

too much guessing who is and is not grammatically challenged. exhausting.

I'm more apt to commit a Freudian slip.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: July 09, 2014, 02:45:57 PM »

Is that a poem?  I mean, it looks like a really shitty written poem.

Have you never scene the movie?

(Also that last post was more Spracne and not wacky FWIW.)

:lol:

Got more puns than you could shake a speare at in the park.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »

i'm really not sure how to feel about this but i  :) a little bit
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: July 09, 2014, 04:12:44 PM »

I'm laughing at Emo making the exact same sets of jokes and explanations within a month.  I'm a huge Will fan, and have seen some of it in parks.  Did you know that the name "William Shakespeare" is actually probably just itself a bawdy joke?  William was a euphemism for penis (think "willy) during the Elizabethan period, and, well, shake speare is a quip on 'batin.   

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: July 09, 2014, 04:15:16 PM »

I'm laughing at Emo making the exact same sets of jokes and explanations within a month.  I'm a huge Will fan, and have seen some of it in parks.  Did you know that the name "William Shakespeare" is actually probably just itself a bawdy joke?  William was a euphemism for penis (think "willy) during the Elizabethan period, and, well, shake speare is a quip on 'batin.

:D

he also sometimes went by shakeshaft  :fatty:

good grief he was just the best in every way

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: July 09, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »
oh man now i'm on a kick!

ya know his play, much ado about nothing?

well guess what! it would have been pronounced like "noting" and in elizabethan times

noting = boning

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: July 09, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »

well guess what! it would have been pronounced like "noting" and in elizabethan times

noting = boning

Yes, I did know that it would be pronounced "noting," but "noting" didn't mean boning.  "Nothing" (however you want to pronounce it) IS a reference to the female genitalia, though, so it has a double meaning resembling "chasing p***y" and a TRIPLE MEANING of "noting" as in paying attention to the details, as in all the games being played within the play.

*exhales*

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: July 09, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »
Well I never....

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: July 09, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »

noting = boning

Yes, I did know that it would be pronounced "noting," but "noting" didn't mean boning.  "Nothing" (however you want to pronounce it) IS a reference to the female genitalia, though, so it has a double meaning resembling "chasing p***y" and a TRIPLE MEANING of "noting" as in paying attention to the details, as in all the games being played within the play.

*exhales*

well, i'm embarrassed.

guess i didn't remember the details quite well enough eh spracs.

and my goodness how do you know all this?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: July 09, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »

noting = boning

*exhales*

well, i'm embarrassed.

I had to take an elective seminar class as part of the honors program, so I took one on Shakespeare.  Wrote my term paper on sexual puns in Shakespeare plays.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: July 09, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »

noting = boning

*exhales*

well, i'm embarrassed.

I had to take an elective seminar class as part of the honors program, so I took one on Shakespeare.  Wrote my term paper on sexual puns in Shakespeare plays.

man, what a great paper. also, is partially remembering the sexually charged double meaning and completely forgetting the triple games within a game meaning, stud or pud?

cuz i say stud  :cool:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: July 09, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »

noting = boning

*exhales*

well, i'm embarrassed.

man, what a great paper. also, is partially remembering the sexually charged double meaning and completely forgetting the triple games within a game meaning, stud or pud?

cuz i say stud  :cool:

Most people don't even understand the surface meaning, so I say stud.  Funny thing about Bill is that his plays were really produced to appease the low-brow, unwashed masses.  Most of the tits/genital/anus stuff isn't understood in modern English, though, and now we regard it as high-brow, classy theater.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »

noting = boning

*exhales*

well, i'm embarrassed.

please post that paper immediately and change the name on it to spracne or whatever first

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: July 09, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
yeah, until i took the intro class at ksu, i was woefully unaware.. hated it in high school and was  :dubious: for the first few days in the intro class.

but my prof was a stud. he was positively gleeful when he'd peel back all the layers and help us understand what he was actually telling the audience. and i've been in :love: with shakes ever since.

what are your faves??

my top 3 are probably:
1. Hamlet
2. Merchant of Venice
3. Henry IV (Falstaff! I mean he was like george costanza on steroids)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4065 on: July 09, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Finally watched the Graduate, which led me to a greater understanding of Wayne's World.

waynes world 2, good grief  :facepalm:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: July 09, 2014, 05:42:42 PM »
x

noting = boning

*exhales*

well, i'm embarrassed.

please post that paper immediately and change the name on it to spracne or whatever firs

post how?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: July 09, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »

Finally watched the Graduate, which led me to a greater understanding of Wayne's World.

waynes world 2, good grief  :facepalm:

Lo siento mi compadre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: July 09, 2014, 09:45:26 PM »
@mocat , here's a teaser from the introduction:

MUCH ADO ABOUT THINGS AND NO THINGS

In his 1512 work De Copia, Dutch humanist Desiderius Erasmus addresses the scope and importance of what he called the “abundant style” (think “copious,” i.e. abundance).  Erasmus’ commentary was confined to the field of rhetoric, but his message is equally applicable to all humans, since humans by nature are, to use Kenneth Burke’s famous phrasing, “word-lings.”  Erasmus writes, “If in these circumstances we find ourselves destitute of verbal riches and hesitate, or keep singing out the same old phrase like a cuckoo, and are unable to clothe our thought in other colors or other forms, we shall look ridiculous when we show ourselves to be so tongue-tied, and we shall also bore our wretched audience to death” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_copia).  I cannot prove whether or not Shakespeare was familiar with Erasmus’ work, but still I chuckle to think of the myriad ways Shakespeare could have punned off of “tongue-tied” in his own work (in context, “tongue” often carried the double-meaning “clitoris”).  In a famous section of De Copia, Erasmus demonstrates his “abundant style” by presenting 195 variations of the common correspondence greeting “your letter pleased me greatly.”  Not to be outdone, Shakespeare’s works contain more than 200 variant expressions for male genitals alone – an abundant style indeed!  Perhaps in a show of sexual bi-partisanship, his works also include nearly 200 synonyms for female genitals.  These figures come from the appendix to Pauline Kiernan’s quaint (lol) volume Filthy Shakespeare, to which I am indebted.  Did Shakespeare employ such abundance of phrase because the Elizabethans were not as comfortable discussing sexuality in public as we are today?

Fie!  The opposite is true.  In fact, I’m feeling slightly uncomfortable as I type this paper, and I will feel more than slightly uncomfortable presenting it.  Shakespeare’s plays are engorged with sexual imagery/energy, and his audiences were fine-tuned to hearing what we now call subtext in a way that we can hardly begin to imagine.  “And those ears were trained to hear every nuance of meaning in a word, including, and especially, ones with sexual undertones.  This was because so many people used language in this way and because, quite simply, they went to so many plays” (Kiernan, Filthy Shakespeare).  The most obscene of Shakespeare’s sexual puns often go undetected by modern readers, and the reasons for this are plentiful.  Beginning in Shakespeare’s time and continuing uninterrupted to the present, sympathetic editors have merely glossed over them while moralists have censured and, in some cases, deleted them entirely.  Shakespeare’s audience was acquainted with a manner of living that to modern readers would seem immoral, decadent, vulgar, and brutal.  Poverty, famine, disease, and corruption were an ever-present reality for the lower classes.  This was an era characterized by excess of all kinds, which in part explains the turmoil that would later erupt in the seventeenth century.  During the Interregnum, the Puritan-dominated Parliament sought to address the excesses of the previous regime by banning, among other things, the theatre.  But now I am getting dangerously close to composing a research paper rather than the compendium of crassness I set out to write...

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:08 PM »
Good Christ. How many pages is this thing?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: July 09, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
Good Christ. How many pages is this thing?

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: July 09, 2014, 09:51:36 PM »
spracne is one of the most impressive human beings i've yet come across.

i think i love him.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: July 09, 2014, 09:54:10 PM »

i think i love him.

Offline j-dub

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: July 09, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »

i think i love him.

i didn't know you were a walking talking/blogging veritable treasure trove of william shakespeare/shaft knowledge  :surprised:

the difference that a few hours can make.. wow.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: July 09, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »
My eyes glazed over and brain shut off after 3 sentances
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite