Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1011845 times)

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #250 on: August 04, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
any thumbs up or thumbs down for Kick Ass?

will arrive today  :cheers:

Two over the top fun thumbs up!
[

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 04, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
any thumbs up or thumbs down for Kick Ass?

will arrive today  :cheers:

LOVED Kick Ass.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 04, 2010, 10:53:49 AM »
watched Hot Tub Time Machine on sunday, terrible.  turned it off after 1 hr.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »

huh.  I liked some parts.  Had more of a chick-flick rythm than comedy.  watched with wife and liked.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »
if i was locked down with a wife and had to watch movies with her then it wouldn't have mattered that it was suckfest 2010.  either way, you have to watch it.  i went mountain biking instead.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 04, 2010, 12:57:42 PM »
if i was locked down with a wife and had to watch movies with her then it wouldn't have mattered that it was suckfest 2010.  either way, you have to watch it.  i went mountain biking instead.

WITH WHAT MOUNTAINS???!!!

:lol:

Offline PandaXpanda

• Katpak'r
  • "is it too soon after 9/11 to be wearing pleats?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2010, 01:02:56 PM »
:lol:
aren't you glad it wasn't you? - g.h.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »
kick ass was very good.  can't wait for kick ass 2  :excited:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 07, 2010, 04:58:01 PM »
Poet-
What other films have you seen that explore dream world time-altering concepts better than Inception?  I would very much like to watch several films with similar premises to Inception that aren't so superficially plot driven.  Inception asked the right questions, it just was at the wrong location.

A tough question. Ultimately, what Inception is about, to me, is the question of: what is reality?. I'll have to think about what titles are out there. I don't keep any logs or lists.

My main complaint about Inception is not just that it doesn't thoroughly explore that question, but that it also fails on the surface as a movie about dreams. Dreams are awesome, crazy experiences that this movie didn't even try to tap in to and that seems like the easiest thing they could have done.

I absolutely agree about "what is reality?" being the focus, but I think in the movie that was primarily shaped by their manipulation of time.  He found a way to live an entire life in a place completely of his own making in an afternoon with his lover.  Was his motivation for having her question whether the dream was real to escape because he felt the dream world's pressure coming back on top of himself, because he wanted more time with her or less?

The motivations of people and the incredibly complex decisions and actions that we take I think are an interesting component as well.  Because it is difficult to know, particularly when he had been in that dream for that long, "who" was motivating his decision.  Was his sub-conscious making a play and he then conceptualized his motivation differently?  Was the seed of inception planted in his own mind to take actions that would lead to her death based on wishes within his own mind, cognizant of the consequences?

I too am incredibly frustrated that the most interesting aspects of the movie come in small non-"plot" essential minute scenes and do not constitute the majority of the dialogue or action on screen.  While this is an improvement upon that crappy (but fairly easy to look at) film with Jennifer Lopez, I think that many of the most interesting questions could be explored at length in an interesting and watchable movie.  I think a movie about a relationship in similar circumstances to mr/mrs cobb would be outstanding.

Finally saw this movie and I thought it was great.  I will say I didn't think "what is reality" was the focus of the film, but more the idea of guilt/forgiveness/letting go of guilt.  More evidence to this is that Nolan often seems to weave this subject into his films.  I thought the key for Cobb was reaching the point when he could finally let go of his wife, and more importantly forgive himself for "causing" her death b/c at the end of the day she was still the person who had to choose it.  And it showed that now forgiving youself not only has ramifications on you, but eventually everyone around you.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 07, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »
Poet-
What other films have you seen that explore dream world time-altering concepts better than Inception?  I would very much like to watch several films with similar premises to Inception that aren't so superficially plot driven.  Inception asked the right questions, it just was at the wrong location.

A tough question. Ultimately, what Inception is about, to me, is the question of: what is reality?. I'll have to think about what titles are out there. I don't keep any logs or lists.

My main complaint about Inception is not just that it doesn't thoroughly explore that question, but that it also fails on the surface as a movie about dreams. Dreams are awesome, crazy experiences that this movie didn't even try to tap in to and that seems like the easiest thing they could have done.

I absolutely agree about "what is reality?" being the focus, but I think in the movie that was primarily shaped by their manipulation of time.  He found a way to live an entire life in a place completely of his own making in an afternoon with his lover.  Was his motivation for having her question whether the dream was real to escape because he felt the dream world's pressure coming back on top of himself, because he wanted more time with her or less?

The motivations of people and the incredibly complex decisions and actions that we take I think are an interesting component as well.  Because it is difficult to know, particularly when he had been in that dream for that long, "who" was motivating his decision.  Was his sub-conscious making a play and he then conceptualized his motivation differently?  Was the seed of inception planted in his own mind to take actions that would lead to her death based on wishes within his own mind, cognizant of the consequences?

I too am incredibly frustrated that the most interesting aspects of the movie come in small non-"plot" essential minute scenes and do not constitute the majority of the dialogue or action on screen.  While this is an improvement upon that crappy (but fairly easy to look at) film with Jennifer Lopez, I think that many of the most interesting questions could be explored at length in an interesting and watchable movie.  I think a movie about a relationship in similar circumstances to mr/mrs cobb would be outstanding.

Finally saw this movie and I thought it was great.  I will say I didn't think "what is reality" was the focus of the film, but more the idea of guilt/forgiveness/letting go of guilt.  More evidence to this is that Nolan often seems to weave this subject into his films.  I thought the key for Cobb was reaching the point when he could finally let go of his wife, and more importantly forgive himself for "causing" her death b/c at the end of the day she was still the person who had to choose it.  And it showed that now forgiving youself not only has ramifications on you, but eventually everyone around you.

Beautiful thoughts.  I think both of us were imposing our own desires about the potential of the film on to the plot (which I think both of us thought fell short).  I kind of like the love story better after reading your take.  I probably need to see the movie again.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 09, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »
has anyone seen Food Inc?

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 09, 2010, 07:27:10 AM »
Liked this movie. I'm becoming a Mark Ruffalo fan.  :shy:

Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 09, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »

Yes, and I was surprised in how good it was. I went in thinking it'd just be a hatchet job on meat and how you should eat veggies, but it was actually quite insightful and opened my eyes a bit into the food industry and how freaking corrupt it is in the USA.
[

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 09, 2010, 11:01:11 AM »
sounds good thx, i'm going to rent it.   i'm a sucker for documentaries.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 09, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »
have you seen "king of kong" pretty f'n good documentary.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
no but it's on my list

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 09, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »

That one's amazing.  The douche baggy guy and his little buddy are on my most hated people list of all time. 

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 09, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »

That one's amazing.  The douche baggy guy and his little buddy are on my most hated people list of all time. 

oh dude if i ever meet billy mitchell i'm gonna beat him up for sure.

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »

On my Netflix instant streaing queue. Pry will check this out this week sometime
[

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »

On my Netflix instant streaing queue. Pry will check this out this week sometime

get ready to hate the crap out of someone.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 09, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

Potential kill screen. Hey guys, potential kill screen. Potential kill screen, if anyone's interested. Yeah, potential kill screen.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 10, 2010, 09:32:06 AM »
"I remember a lot of celebration; hugs, kisses and a lot of hooting and hollering," Mitchell said of setting the latest "Donkey Kong" record. "Once that died down, I stood there looking at 'Donkey Kong Jr.' and thought ‘There’s one more thing I have to take care of.' "

Mitchell isn't exactly known for being a humble sorta guy. He stopped playing "Donkey Kong" as soon as he had knocked Chien out of the No. 1 spot.  Asked why he stopped, Mitchell reportedly said: “Some say I’m being cocky. Some say I’m being lazy. I say, I’m being Billy Mitchell."

I hate the crap out of this guy but I have to respect the way he disrespected that other guy  :surprised:

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2010, 11:42:59 AM »

It's really good.  Will make you second guess eating certain things. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2010, 12:08:05 PM »

It's really good.  Will make you second guess eating certain things. 

too late, already second guess everything i potentially could be eating