Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 999300 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #200 on: July 19, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »
Poet-

What other films have you seen that explore dream world time-altering concepts better than Inception?  I would very much like to watch several films with similar premises to Inception that aren't so superficially plot driven.  Inception asked the right questions, it just was at the wrong location.  Like Will Ferrel after he started banging chicks at funerals in Wedding Crashers.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 19, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
Was Inception directed by the same guy who directed Memento?

Because if so, I might just need to see it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 19, 2010, 10:11:35 PM »
Was Inception directed by the same guy who directed Memento?

Yes.

And the themes are similar and done better in Memento.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:19:43 PM by PoetWarrior »

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2010, 10:19:02 PM »
Poet-
What other films have you seen that explore dream world time-altering concepts better than Inception?  I would very much like to watch several films with similar premises to Inception that aren't so superficially plot driven.  Inception asked the right questions, it just was at the wrong location.

A tough question. Ultimately, what Inception is about, to me, is the question of: what is reality?. I'll have to think about what titles are out there. I don't keep any logs or lists.

My main complaint about Inception is not just that it doesn't thoroughly explore that question, but that it also fails on the surface as a movie about dreams. Dreams are awesome, crazy experiences that this movie didn't even try to tap in to and that seems like the easiest thing they could have done.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:20:55 PM by PoetWarrior »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »
PW, have you taken LSD?  Honest question, not trying to be mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbfn-qnY7aY

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:39 AM »

No, and I never will.

I can't imagine any drug doing anything, for anybody, that's any good, that I don't experience on a daily basis.

Embrace reality.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »

No, and I never will.

I can't imagine any drug doing anything, for anybody, that's any good, that I don't experience on a daily basis.

Embrace reality.

I have a cousin who's really into LSD because he thinks it gives you a better understanding of the world and our existence.  And it took away Larry Hageman's fear of death.

:dunno:

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:45 AM »

No, and I never will.

Embrace reality.

you sound we todd ed.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2010, 08:24:29 AM »
Poet-
What other films have you seen that explore dream world time-altering concepts better than Inception?  I would very much like to watch several films with similar premises to Inception that aren't so superficially plot driven.  Inception asked the right questions, it just was at the wrong location.

A tough question. Ultimately, what Inception is about, to me, is the question of: what is reality?. I'll have to think about what titles are out there. I don't keep any logs or lists.

My main complaint about Inception is not just that it doesn't thoroughly explore that question, but that it also fails on the surface as a movie about dreams. Dreams are awesome, crazy experiences that this movie didn't even try to tap in to and that seems like the easiest thing they could have done.

I absolutely agree about "what is reality?" being the focus, but I think in the movie that was primarily shaped by their manipulation of time.  He found a way to live an entire life in a place completely of his own making in an afternoon with his lover.  Was his motivation for having her question whether the dream was real to escape because he felt the dream world's pressure coming back on top of himself, because he wanted more time with her or less?

The motivations of people and the incredibly complex decisions and actions that we take I think are an interesting component as well.  Because it is difficult to know, particularly when he had been in that dream for that long, "who" was motivating his decision.  Was his sub-conscious making a play and he then conceptualized his motivation differently?  Was the seed of inception planted in his own mind to take actions that would lead to her death based on wishes within his own mind, cognizant of the consequences?

I too am incredibly frustrated that the most interesting aspects of the movie come in small non-"plot" essential minute scenes and do not constitute the majority of the dialogue or action on screen.  While this is an improvement upon that crappy (but fairly easy to look at) film with Jennifer Lopez, I think that many of the most interesting questions could be explored at length in an interesting and watchable movie.  I think a movie about a relationship in similar circumstances to mr/mrs cobb would be outstanding.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »
I have a cousin who's really into LSD because he thinks it gives you a better understanding of the world and our existence.  And it took away Larry Hageman's fear of death.

I'd ask your cousin how he thinks he's gaining an increased awareness of his existence and the real world as he's under the influence of a mind-altering substance. Whatever he's seeing, feeling or thinking cannot, by its nature, be the truth. I find that comical. Larry Hageman probably should fear his death, however, I don't.
thing

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »

I'd ask your cousin how he thinks he's gaining an increased awareness of his existence and the real world as he's under the influence of a mind-altering substance. Whatever he's seeing, feeling or thinking cannot, by its nature, be the truth. I find that comical. Larry Hageman probably should fear his death, however, I don't.
thing

everything you experience in life is real and, by its nature, the truth. existence doesn't cease to be just because you are on drugs, it is merely a different perception on reality. the mind is our living being, and therefore its experience is our experience, our reality. i'm assuming you don't fear death because of your god. he is as much a drug as lsd.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2010, 09:08:25 AM »
I absolutely agree about "what is reality?" being the focus, but I think in the movie that was primarily shaped by their manipulation of time.  He found a way to live an entire life in a place completely of his own making in an afternoon with his lover.  Was his motivation for having her question whether the dream was real to escape because he felt the dream world's pressure coming back on top of himself, because he wanted more time with her or less?

The motivations of people and the incredibly complex decisions and actions that we take I think are an interesting component as well.  Because it is difficult to know, particularly when he had been in that dream for that long, "who" was motivating his decision.  Was his sub-conscious making a play and he then conceptualized his motivation differently?  Was the seed of inception planted in his own mind to take actions that would lead to her death based on wishes within his own mind, cognizant of the consequences?

I too am incredibly frustrated that the most interesting aspects of the movie come in small non-"plot" essential minute scenes and do not constitute the majority of the dialogue or action on screen.  While this is an improvement upon that crappy (but fairly easy to look at) film with Jennifer Lopez, I think that many of the most interesting questions could be explored at length in an interesting and watchable movie.  I think a movie about a relationship in similar circumstances to mr/mrs cobb would be outstanding.

Mr. & Mrs. Cobb were without a doubt the most interesting element of the movie - I'm still struggling to come up with others that match all of thes elements. As you mention, The Cell does somewhat, I suppose. And Memento definitely has some of these elements, as does Mulholland Drive.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »
everything you experience in life is real and, by its nature, the truth. existence doesn't cease to be just because you are on drugs, it is merely a different perception on reality. the mind is our living being, and therefore its experience is our experience, our reality. i'm assuming you don't fear death because of your god. he is as much a drug as lsd.

I agree that reality does not and cannot cease. But reality is not unique to each individual, it is not determined inside our heads. It is the same for every human being, we do not shape it. There is a supernatural element to it that is outside of what everyone sees as they are walking around every day here on earth, but that doesn't mean when someone on drugs is riding a dragon into a white light that what they perceive is the truth. God isn't a drug because He is true for all, whether you like it or not.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2010, 09:33:32 AM »
Well, this thread just took a turn for the worse

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 20, 2010, 09:42:26 AM »

I agree that reality does not and cannot cease. But reality is not unique to each individual, it is not determined inside our heads. It is the same for every human being, we do not shape it. There is a supernatural element to it that is outside of what everyone sees as they are walking around every day here on earth, but that doesn't mean when someone on drugs is riding a dragon into a white light that what they perceive is the truth. God isn't a drug because He is true for all, whether you like it or not.

so naive. the use of lsd as an exploration or journey is the same journey someone takes in reading a bible. you come to a conclusion that is a truth for that individual. just because you believe that God supersedes all individuals, and therefore is the truth, does not take away from the fact that he/she/spaghettimonster isn't. The only general truth for all would be our earth, and whether or not a person perceives our worlds actions and reactions (ex: global warming is/is not happening), is up to that individual. in a grander scheme there is your god, anothers god, and so forth. that god is inherently different and provides different truths to each of its followers. reality is unique to each individual. there are shared experiences, sure, but not one persons reality is completely shared. each person has, inherently, a different viewpoint and absorption of their surrounding experience. someone might have better hearing, or better sight, someone by be smarter or duller.

if you are saying that drugs are bad because of health reasons thats one thing, but to say that it isn't a reality to some people is shorthanded. there are indian tribes who's entire religion and sanity lies in the use of peyote. to them it is merely and aid to explore the earth and soul.

to further point out the flaws in your argument, the truth you speak of will be different between each individual in your own religion. there will be, ultimately, some tiny difference in thought shaped by their existence and experience. to say

God isn't a drug because He is true for all, whether you like it or not.

is ludicrous. even if there is a god, or it so happens that your god is in control, he then would be responsible for the use of drugs and the creation of other religions. or if you prefer a laissez-faire god, then there is no truth until we cease to exist. therefore there is no complete truth in existence.

for the sake of steve dave i will stop this convo here. if you feel like starting it in a different thread go head. sd and i will get together and go on a magic carpet ride to mordor and answer questions from there.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2010, 09:47:35 AM »
Well, at least we still have 2 other movie threads. :flush:

Offline bonercat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 20, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »
Well maybe I can get us back on track by fusing the movie piece with the crazy spiritual discussion thingy going on...

Last night I watched Religulous

Thought it was pretty funny, interesting, and at times over the top. But definitely a very entertaining movie.
[

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »
thoughts

False.

We disagree. Let me know if you have any questions on what I believe.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 20, 2010, 10:13:50 AM »
Following
www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/
After a recent Nolan kick I've come away more intrigued and more disappointed than I used to be.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »
Question for motion pictures viewers: do you watch movies multiple times?

I do. I can't help it after a year or two. There was a time when I'd watch something twice in the span of a view days. I felt it was necessary to get the film. It's amazing how much and how little things change from one viewing to the next.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 20, 2010, 10:21:02 AM »
Edge of Darkness
www.imdb.com/title/tt1226273/
Bad.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:23 AM »
In my case it's necessary to view things I enjoyed multiple times, to remind myself that there are motion pictures that exist, that I enjoyed.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 20, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
Crazy Heart
www.imdb.com/title/tt1263670
If your one desire in life is to hear Jeff Bridges sing, then it's possible, that you might, at the very least, enjoy this horrible joke of a pointless hour and 40 minutes in time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:30:54 AM by PoetWarrior »

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 20, 2010, 11:33:43 AM »
Other Inception-like themed films, but not exactly:

Solaris
www.imdb.com/title/tt0069293/

Eyes Wide Shut
www.imdb.com/title/tt0120663/

The Matrix
Everyone has seen this.

And I want to say:

The Vanishing
www.imdb.com/title/tt0096163/  (don't watch the remake)
but maybe not...I recommend it anyway. I think this crowd would like it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 11:38:09 AM by PoetWarrior »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 20, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
What if Poet and asava are both correct?

:surprised: