Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1016450 times)

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #3325 on: January 17, 2014, 12:26:10 AM »
Oh man, Heris absolutely beautiful.  One of the most interesting and thought provoking movies I've ever seen.  The scenery, the score, the script, all just beautiful.  Although it is meant to be futuristic, it feels like the present in some crazy, twisted way.  The idea of the OS feels like a combination of technological advances that we use every day.  Bluetooth headsets, Siri, text messages, facetime and to an extent Google glass.  What if one day we could have our friends, family, loved ones right there with us every step of the way?  This movie really did a great job of showing that weird thing where you can almost hear a person's voice when you read a text message.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

One of the things I found so fascinating was the scene where she said she was in love with 641 other people.  I mean, what if our mind/soul/brain etc. was like that of an operating system, where any minute, we could connect to a global database and instantly determine our level of connection with every single person on earth?  It really challenges the theory of "the one".  Crazy. 

And when she "brought to life" that dead writer.  What if, in the not to distant future, there was a way to program someone's visions, beliefs, wisdom into a database where you could use the data to make a decision based on (for example) something your late mother or father believes? Oh man.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: January 17, 2014, 01:46:26 AM »
The Comedy

A dark comedy from Tim Heidecker. Didn't receive great reviews but I guess I enjoyed the movie because I'm familiar with Tim's unique deadpan style.

This was actually one of the best movies I watched last year. I still think about it and the impact it had upon viewing. Huge fan of Heidecker and his comedy, but this was something far beyond most of his other stuff. Actually, I think his other works plays perfectly into the main theme of the movie. One of the few movies I continually think about post-watching.
Yeah...I like Tim and Eric and all, but this movie just didn't do it for me in the least.  I thought its "message" was shallow.  Whatever dark comedy there was, completely missed me.  I got the point after the first 15 minutes or so and hoped that the rest of the movie wouldn't just be the same "schtick" over and over and over and well, that's pretty much what it was, imo.

I'd be interested to hear your guys' take on this and where you found the merit.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
I love quoting Rounders while playing poker. Everyone just laughs and laughs.

my friends and I usually put Rounders on in the background of playing poker. and yeah... I quote it all the time. John Malkovich is incredible.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline SEK_EMAW

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:42 PM »
Saw Lone Survivor last night.  My critiques:

I never really cared for any of the characters.  I surmise it's because they didn't do much character development.  But maybe it's tough to develop the character of real hard asses who internalize a lot of emotion?  Also, maybe they were trying to keep it as real to the actual story as possible.  But then there were some moments that seemed completely implausible.  I am, however, inspired to fishing reading the book.

Not sure where you are at in the book, and it's been 4-5 years since I read it, but I remember the first 1/3 of the book being slow, but once the crap hit the fan, I pretty much couldn't put it down.  I even took the book to work so I could read it when I didn't have anything to do...I never do that.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: January 17, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty was really good.  I hoped it would be that good but figured Ben Stiller would eff it up.  Actually really good though.  Rekindles that urge for adventure that I think Kings of Summer and Into the Wild did a good job of.  Really good date movie too.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: January 17, 2014, 04:06:23 PM »
Oh man, Heris absolutely beautiful.  One of the most interesting and thought provoking movies I've ever seen.  The scenery, the score, the script, all just beautiful.  Although it is meant to be futuristic, it feels like the present in some crazy, twisted way.  The idea of the OS feels like a combination of technological advances that we use every day.  Bluetooth headsets, Siri, text messages, facetime and to an extent Google glass.  What if one day we could have our friends, family, loved ones right there with us every step of the way?  This movie really did a great job of showing that weird thing where you can almost hear a person's voice when you read a text message.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

One of the things I found so fascinating was the scene where she said she was in love with 641 other people.  I mean, what if our mind/soul/brain etc. was like that of an operating system, where any minute, we could connect to a global database and instantly determine our level of connection with every single person on earth?  It really challenges the theory of "the one".  Crazy. 

And when she "brought to life" that dead writer.  What if, in the not to distant future, there was a way to program someone's visions, beliefs, wisdom into a database where you could use the data to make a decision based on (for example) something your late mother or father believes? Oh man.
I'm just glad those OS' were benevolent in the end, and just "went away"  because the infantile musings of the future people in that movie would have left them ill-prepared for a robot apocalypse.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: January 18, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
HER was great.    Am I the only one who thought the ending was working towards being an ENDING, if you know what I mean?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: January 18, 2014, 03:04:22 PM »
HER was great.    Am I the only one who thought the ending was working towards being an ENDING, if you know what I mean?

I have no idea what you mean.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: January 18, 2014, 03:22:26 PM »
I know what you mean but no. Some people joke that it's a prequel to the terminator tho
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: January 18, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »

I have no idea what you mean.

seemed as though he was writing a suicide note.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: January 19, 2014, 12:52:19 PM »
almost missed my noon flight yesterday because Cool Runnings was on and I just had to wait until Yule Brenner pumps up that kid with the "badass mudda" speech. goosebumps you guys. goosebumps.

cool runnings is a top 5 movie (all-time)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: January 19, 2014, 12:55:12 PM »
little brother wants to see The Grudge Match tonight :dubious:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: January 19, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »

Well the apple doesn't fall to far from his apple brother then, does it? :lol:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: January 19, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »

He's not related, jerk.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: January 19, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
almost missed my noon flight yesterday because Cool Runnings was on and I just had to wait until Yule Brenner pumps up that kid with the "badass mudda" speech. goosebumps you guys. goosebumps.

cool runnings is a top 5 movie (all-time)

the Jamaicans qualified again this year.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: January 19, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »

He's not related, jerk.

Nature vs nurture

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: January 20, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
The Comedy

A dark comedy from Tim Heidecker. Didn't receive great reviews but I guess I enjoyed the movie because I'm familiar with Tim's unique deadpan style.

This was actually one of the best movies I watched last year. I still think about it and the impact it had upon viewing. Huge fan of Heidecker and his comedy, but this was something far beyond most of his other stuff. Actually, I think his other works plays perfectly into the main theme of the movie. One of the few movies I continually think about post-watching.
Yeah...I like Tim and Eric and all, but this movie just didn't do it for me in the least.  I thought its "message" was shallow.  Whatever dark comedy there was, completely missed me.  I got the point after the first 15 minutes or so and hoped that the rest of the movie wouldn't just be the same "schtick" over and over and over and well, that's pretty much what it was, imo.

I'd be interested to hear your guys' take on this and where you found the merit.

For what its worth, i don't necessarily think it is a comedy. Maybe a comedy in a tragic sense, where you realize the comedian disenfranchises and distances himself from society at the same time he utters his jokes. I thought it was actually a very depressing movie.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: January 21, 2014, 11:56:19 PM »
Fruitvale Station - So, so real. A part of me was a little upset with the character development, since Oscar is supposed to be a pretty complex character but it's very difficult to fit it all into 90 mins, but that may just be because I've been watching a lot of TV series who have like, forever to develop complex characters.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »
American Hustle is on youtube right now

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: January 22, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
:adios:

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: January 22, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »
American Hustle is on youtube right now

www.reddit.com/r/fullmoviesonyoutube

yeah i know that's where i found it. haven't seen many in-theaters-currently ones on there though. maybe i don't look often enough.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »
Man on a Ledge was pretty entertaining.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: January 22, 2014, 10:46:40 AM »
drinking buddies- i liked the look and feel of it quite a bit. the movie itself was just ok though.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: January 22, 2014, 01:12:39 PM »
boiler room, just rewatched it last night.  what a soundtrack!  what a movie!  whoa!  what's going on here?!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: January 22, 2014, 01:27:28 PM »
Dallas Buyers Club was good, but a little sad and a little slow. Mcconaughey and Leto lost a lot of weight for their roles and did a fantastic job representing their characters. It reminds you how awful the world was when it came to homosexuals in the 80's & 90's.  :frown:

Also, it's tough watching a loved one slowly go from cancer or a disease. Do not go to this movie if that stuffs bothers you a lot (duh, it bothers us all, but this is extreme). it's pretty graphic what they're dealing with.  :frown: