Author Topic: KU Basketball is Hurting  (Read 165652 times)

Woogy and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: KU Basketball is Hurting
« Reply #1400 on: February 06, 2024, 09:45:06 AM »
last night felt weird. like kstate sucks and didn't even play all that well and still managed to win. i didn't even really hate any of the ku players. they were boring.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 06, 2024, 09:49:17 AM »
If I am an 18 year old superstar, the last thing I care about is tradition. I would want to see the last couple of years having been successful, I want kids to recently have gone to the NBA, and I want to hear about how rough ridin' great the team I’m gonna be on is gonna be.  Also, money.

KU sends a lot of their players to the pros......there are smart players that will live with a subpar NIL for the chance to reap NBA riches.  Or regular players with good agents.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 06, 2024, 11:57:21 AM »
ku's roster is

xfer
xfer
kj adams
point guard (dodson?)
goofy white guy
goofy white guy
goofy white guy
goofy white guy

self must be done?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 06, 2024, 12:00:23 PM »
Kansas Jayhawk Fans  · Follow
4 hours ago
  ·
KU now has 3 losses to BAD teams (UCF, WVU, and KSU). The inconsistency of our squad is wildly frustrating.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 06, 2024, 12:02:57 PM »
last night felt weird. like kstate sucks and didn't even play all that well and still managed to win. i didn't even really hate any of the ku players. they were boring.
I thought I would hate Furphy (for the name if nothing else) but I felt nothing.
I'm indifferent about Harris.
Cannot hate a guy who shoots a gorgeous jumper the way KJ Adams can.
Dickinson = legitimate stud
don't remember anyone else

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 06, 2024, 12:06:27 PM »
4 hours ago
  ·
KU now has 3 losses to BAD teams (UCF, WVU, and KSU). The inconsistency of our squad is wildly frustrating.
Inconsistent or maybe just not so good. Last night the crowd could have legitimately broke out with the "overrated" chant, because they are wildly overrated.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 06, 2024, 12:12:12 PM »
Kansas has 4 guys that could play/start for anyone in the country.

Then Furphy

the rest of those guys wouldn't play anywhere except mid major and would be role players.  Exception is Jackson and he's basically just a really good athlete.

Roster as a whole is bad,

I imagine some of that is Self not being able to recruit the way that they normally would compounded with his heart stuff, so they went out and bought Dickinson which in turn chased off all of their developing post guys.

Not going to attract a guard with McCullar and Harris.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 06, 2024, 12:14:19 PM »
4 hours ago
  ·

For definition purposes, how many does it take before a team is t considered a good team?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 06, 2024, 12:14:46 PM »
They're not good away from AFH.  They are 1-4 on Big 12 roadies and only Iowa St seems like a good team out of those losses.  They're soft.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 06, 2024, 01:13:43 PM »
I can't imagine they can really keep up with the large fanbase schools

Tradition and reputation are very powerful recruiting tools in the "old world."  In the "new world" I suspect that money will be more important.  In the NFL, NBA, MLB and pro Soccer (globally) the amount of money you pay a player seems to be the largest determinant of landing high quality players. 

So, the question is whether KU (relatively small university) and a collection of alumni from a very, very, very small population state in the middle of the country will have enough money to complete with schools with enrollments, state populations, and donor lists twice their size (or more) in the New World.

After Bill Self moves on, will the next crop of coaches look at Kansas the same way that Bill Self looked at Kansas?

You hurt my feelings.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: February 06, 2024, 01:25:08 PM »
I thought I would hate Furphy (for the name if nothing else) but I felt nothing.
I'm indifferent about Harris.
Cannot hate a guy who shoots a gorgeous jumper the way KJ Adams can.
Dickinson = legitimate stud
don't remember anyone else

McCullers or whatever seems pretty hateable, but agree overall.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 06, 2024, 01:38:34 PM »
They're not good away from AFH.  They are 1-4 on Big 12 roadies and only Iowa St seems like a good team out of those losses.  They're soft.

This is honestly more true than not but this year it's exceedingly apparent. They just don't seem very interested playing basketball away from AFH. I truly think they get bounced before the first weekend of the tourny is done. Some mid major with 7 seniors will roll them.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 06, 2024, 02:06:54 PM »
Kansas has 4 guys that could play/start for anyone in the country.

Then Furphy

the rest of those guys wouldn't play anywhere except mid major and would be role players.  Exception is Jackson and he's basically just a really good athlete.

Roster as a whole is bad,

I imagine some of that is Self not being able to recruit the way that they normally would compounded with his heart stuff, so they went out and bought Dickinson which in turn chased off all of their developing post guys.

Not going to attract a guard with McCullar and Harris.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like Self has always had the most success with guys who have been in his program 2+ years. His teams that have done the best in March have been led by 3-4 year players. He should stick with that formula.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 06, 2024, 02:17:25 PM »
Speaking with KU fans in the office today, they agreed with me that KU plays better with Dickinson on the bench.  The team becomes too one-dimensional.  HD get the ball down low he shoots it nearly every time.  Very seldom does he kick it back out to his teammates. 

Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 06, 2024, 04:57:11 PM »
If you take my hatred for every player on the ku roster and added it up the sum would only be a fraction of the hatred I felt (maybe still feel? Will need to unpack that in therapy) for just Brandon Rush. And there are a lot of ku players I’ve hated more than Brandon Rush he was just one of the first ones that came to mind when I thought of ku players that are in the 2nd quartile of hatred

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 06, 2024, 05:39:01 PM »
Junkrubber Collins, Morningstar, the bb-gun twins, Thomas Robinson... so many douches over the years. Even Lightfoot surpasses anyone on this team.

What is happening in Lawrence? What is happening to Self and Townsend?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: February 06, 2024, 05:44:30 PM »
Tyshawn Taylor really got under my skin for some reason.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 06, 2024, 05:58:41 PM »
I can't imagine they can really keep up with the large fanbase schools

Tradition and reputation are very powerful recruiting tools in the "old world."  In the "new world" I suspect that money will be more important.  In the NFL, NBA, MLB and pro Soccer (globally) the amount of money you pay a player seems to be the largest determinant of landing high quality players. 

So, the question is whether KU (relatively small university) and a collection of alumni from a very, very, very small population state in the middle of the country will have enough money to complete with schools with enrollments, state populations, and donor lists twice their size (or more) in the New World.

After Bill Self moves on, will the next crop of coaches look at Kansas the same way that Bill Self looked at Kansas?

You hurt my feelings.

Sadly for all of us, I might have been describing every school NOT in big 10 or SEC.   :frown:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 06, 2024, 07:36:48 PM »
I think its the fact that not many players stay at a school for 3-4 years so you can build up that hatred for them.

Rush/Collins/Morningstar/ellis (didnt actually hate him)/mason/graham etc all stayed there for years which let the hate build up.

Will anyone hate dickenson as much as Jeff Withey? Doubtful

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: February 06, 2024, 08:06:55 PM »
please bring back the morris twins.  it’s impossible to feel anything but sorry for this group of lovable losers

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 06, 2024, 08:20:21 PM »
Even that De Sousio fella took an object used for sitting and turned it into a weapon I kinda hate that guy and didn’t he only play in like 10 games total?

They’ve lost their “it” factor, I guess is what I’m saying

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 06, 2024, 08:22:25 PM »
Like sure, they might be the finest, gourmet vanilla from Madagascar, but at the end of the day they are still just that…vanilla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 06, 2024, 09:31:23 PM »
Even that De Sousio fella took an object used for sitting and turned it into a weapon I kinda hate that guy and didn’t he only play in like 10 games total?

They’ve lost their “it” factor, I guess is what I’m saying

Yeah, maybe getting older in it all anyways but I think the string of inexplicable/unlikely losses ku has had over the last few years are mounting up, as well we now can/do beat them with regularity. Their conference streak has been effectively killed with no real look like they will ever do that again. The just don't seem like this impossible juggernaut. Also I think this year specifically having Houston in the conference makes them stand out less. Yes ku best them but I bet Houston beats them in Houston by double digits. Zona coming next year will only lessen their grip even more.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 06, 2024, 09:49:08 PM »
Like NU in football back in the day before the landscape changed, they had a nice run.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 06, 2024, 10:02:40 PM »
Self just took the easy way out with Hunter. And probably hoped that furphy would be better at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk