Author Topic: KU Basketball is Hurting  (Read 72497 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Katpak'r
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: KU Basketball is Hurting
« Reply #800 on: April 16, 2021, 10:56:13 PM »
It’s that what basketball courts used to look like? I’m starting to think that maybe what happened was one day the good Doctor Naismith was doodling some fresh dongs and someone saw and was like “are...are those dicks?” And he was like “what?! No, it’s...uh, it’s a new game I invented, its called...basketball. Now build a museum and put this drawing in it. Wait, no, not this exact drawing. Make a copy of it, and put the copy in the museum. To reiterate: I definitely wasn’t drawing cranks.”

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 16, 2021, 11:16:36 PM »

Actually I believe Northwestern's renovation did what Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse renovation did: re-oriented the court 90 degrees from what it used to be.

You would be wrong.  Welsh-Ryan Arena was always that way.  Pre-renovation pic below as proof:

Building hoops arenas in that orientation was also a thing.  Here is Oregon State's Gill Coliseum:

Same as the 40's when it was new:

No doubt, but it certainly wasn't the norm. It does exist, though. Alabama's Coleman Coliseum is the same way. Also I've been to a game at McGill and it definitely scratched an itch for a game in an old timey arena. :thumbs:

Western Michigan's Read Arena now has the court oriented perpendicular to the rafters. They also pulled a Butler. Or maybe Butler pulled a Western Michigan? Not sure who did it first.

Here's old Read Arena, which clearly looks exactly like Ahearn as far as proportions, court alignment, permanent upper deck but with temporary bleachers at the bottom. Then when they updated it they flipped the court 90 degrees.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 17, 2021, 08:18:34 AM »
SkinBen getting schooled in the ways of the arena. Lots to learn grasshopper, apparently.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 19, 2021, 02:46:31 PM »
Correct, I was wrong on Northwestern's arena. But surely anyone would admit that 90%+ of the fieldhousey arenas in those days were built with the rafters running the way Ahearn's do.

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 19, 2021, 03:14:44 PM »
Guess which way the court sits in this pretty much new fieldhouse???

P.S. I think a roof like this would be awesome for Bramlage.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 19, 2021, 04:48:54 PM »
Take it to the facilities fantasies threads you dorks.

Offline passranch

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 22, 2021, 04:26:51 PM »
Guess which way the court sits in this pretty much new fieldhouse???

P.S. I think a roof like this would be awesome for Bramlage.

Nice...plus it has a clerestory!   :love:

Here is Mizzou Arena (or mini-Banker's Life I'd imagine they call it)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 01, 2021, 07:50:23 PM »
How much of Texas's new arena is actually being paid for by the school or AD tho? I thought the city was chipping in a bunch, as it will also be used as a public event venue.

I believe originally a developer/property group/investment group (honestly not sure how to describe it) was paying for it/building it and would get all profits for a certain amount of time, then there would be profit sharing with UT after.

But then, the Moody Foundation donated like half the cost to UT to chip in for the Arena and I believe a new basketball practice facility... so I'm not really sure how any of it works now.

I do know it's everything I would want in a facility at K-State (we probably wouldn't even need the upper deck option to expand seating for events.)

The upper deck thing is fascinating to me. Is it actually "expandable" or will they be tarping that sucker?

I just saw an interview, and they said it’ll use “revolutionary technology” to adjust it.

So it better be pretty cool.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 03, 2021, 09:08:14 AM »
Is KU Basketball still hurting?  This thread is confusing.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 03, 2021, 10:49:04 AM »

I think they are fine now. These facilities dorks wouldn't be doing this otherwise.  Very TSC of them tho.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: May 03, 2021, 11:41:35 AM »

Well it's looking like the NCAA penalties won't come before next season either, so they're fine I guess.