Author Topic: TCU game  (Read 11246 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: TCU game
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Of the nine coaches in the league not named bill self where would you put oscar as a recruiter?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2019, 01:45:50 PM »
Of the nine coaches in the league not named bill self where would you put oscar as a recruiter?
Behind Drew, Beard, Shaka, Kruger, about the same as the rest

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »
Keep in mind I don't really follow hoops recruiting I'm just basing it off of players in the NBA

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
I would agree he’s a below average big 12 recruiter.  Which means you think he’s complete dogshit at being a tactician. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2019, 02:09:55 PM »
I would agree he’s a below average big 12 recruiter.  Which means you think he’s complete dogshit at being a tactician.
Yep his offense is very very bad IMO. This season's success is based on an average Big 12 class playing for four years

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »
give oscar and his staff credit though. they're above average in player development, great at coaching defense, and they get maximum effort out of the players, at least in games that matter.

he'll probably lose his job in the next few years but he's done a great job with the current group of upperclassmen.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2019, 03:29:21 PM »
I think SNW, McGuirl, Carti,Dejuan Gordon, and Goodnews are a very solid backcourt for next year but he’s completely whiffed on any decent bigs. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2019, 05:31:51 PM »
give oscar and his staff credit though. they're above average in player development, great at coaching defense, and they get maximum effort out of the players, at least in games that matter.

he'll probably lose his job in the next few years but he's done a great job with the current group of upperclassmen.
He won't lose his job ever. If he continues to have average classes with low attrition he'll have enough NCAA lock seasons to stay here indefinitely.

Side note, his ability to keep all his best recruits since Foster from transferring is pretty important

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2019, 05:39:09 PM »
I think SNW, McGuirl, Carti,Dejuan Gordon, and Goodnews are a very solid backcourt for next year but he’s completely whiffed on any decent bigs.
I don't think you need decent bigs to have a decent team

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2019, 06:22:45 PM »
i still think he'd need to win 20 games almost every year. we canned snyder's ass after 5-7, only a year removed from 9-4 and 8-5. though age played a big part.

last year diarra and mcguirl looked like they had potential but they're the same/worse than last year. it'll be interesting to see how they do once they're full-time starters and have more responsibility. our 3 young bigs have been disappointing. i should revise what i've said about player development, until recently it seems to have been pretty good.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 01:14:40 AM »
Yep his offense is very very bad IMO. This season's success is based on an average Big 12 class playing for four years

So the defensive tactics don't count?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »

He's had one defense finish better than 5th in the Big 12 in conference games. So yeah I'd say it's more about experience than improved strategy. IMO his defenses overhelp way too much and give up too many easy threes against decent teams.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »

He's had one defense finish better than 5th in the Big 12 in conference games. So yeah I'd say it's more about experience than improved strategy. IMO his defenses overhelp way too much and give up too many easy threes against decent teams.

Gotta give something up, they overplay lanes and help aggressively, you beat that by moving the ball quickly and any quick, effective offense will carve up any good defense. If we had more length we wouldn't give up as many 3s.