Author Topic: TexAgs politics board gems thread  (Read 140157 times)

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: TexAgs politics board gems thread
« Reply #1750 on: June 13, 2022, 02:04:47 PM »
spracs can you please hold off on responding until later tonight? Its been several years since this board had some good nocternal admissions smack

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: June 13, 2022, 02:09:32 PM »
I agree, OMG.

Here comes another ridiculous exercise with Spracs

It's gotten kind of sad at this point.

Do you want me to respond to you or not? I'm getting mixed signals.

Why are you concerning yourself with what I say to other people?

Please respond using a holistic approach, just like most schools do with admission decisions and I'll stand by my original statement that a school that has 70K students that graduates 10K at a time is not a particularly strident academic institution.    The glossy brochures may say they are, tho.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: June 13, 2022, 02:19:49 PM »
I agree, OMG.

Please respond using a holistic approach, just like most schools do with admission decisions.

I chimed in with my knowledge of the university admissions landscape in Texas. You made a counterfactual claim. Wtf are you talking about?

Anyway, The University of Texas at Austin had 52,000 students enrolled in Fall of 2021 and graduates 10,000 plus at a time. Its acceptance rate for the 2020 entering class was 31.8%. I'm simply disagreeing with your notion that a large school cannot be selective. Looks like A&M's acceptance rate is 63%. So, not nearly as selective, but still comparatively way more selective than schools like KU and KSU, despite its large size.

As for the holistic approach to admissions, UT Austin actually uses a race-neutral admissions standard in order ensure some baseline level of diversity. (Ironically, it works exactly because schools remain segregated. It also means it's much harder to get admitted if you go to a "good" high school.) It used to be that anyone graduating in the top 10% of their high school class was admitted. That number has tightened, and it's now currently the top 6%. The vast majority of its enrollees are admitted under this program. The rest are discretionary. I don't really care to discuss Fisher I or Fisher II, but I'm prepared to if that's where you're intending to go.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: June 13, 2022, 02:31:14 PM »
I agree, OMG.

Please respond using a holistic approach, just like most schools do with admission decisions.

I chimed in with my knowledge of the university admissions landscape in Texas. You made a counterfactual claim. Wtf are you talking about?

Anyway, The University of Texas at Austin had 52,000 students enrolled in Fall of 2021 and graduates 10,000 plus at a time. Its acceptance rate for the 2020 entering class was 31.8%. I'm simply disagreeing with your notion that a large school cannot be selective. Looks like A&M's acceptance rate is 63%. So, not nearly as selective, but still comparatively way more selective than schools like KU and KSU, despite its large size.

As for the holistic approach to admissions, UT Austin actually uses a race-neutral admissions standard in order ensure some baseline level of diversity. (Ironically, it works exactly because schools remain segregated. It also means it's much harder to get admitted if you go to a "good" high school.) It used to be that anyone graduating in the top 10% of their high school class was admitted. That number has tightened, and it's now currently the top 6%. The vast majority of its enrollees are admitted under this program. The rest are discretionary. I don't really care to discuss Fisher I or Fisher II, but I'm prepared to if that's where you're intending to go.

My original statement really didn't have much of anything to do with admissions.   It was a statement that I simply do not believe that any university of 50K plus, that graduates 10K plus at a time is a particularly strident academic institution.  In some programs, sure, but overall, extremely doubtful.    In addition, admission percentages must also consider the number of applicants,  the university has to take into account whether they have the resources to support all the students that apply/who are admitted.

I always put a huge grain of salt on massive public universities that have relatively low admission percentages until after I see the number of applicants.  For the fall of 2021, UT-Austin had 66,000 applications.    That's roughly the population  of Lawrence, KS.    Congrats to UT-A for being popular, but the low admission rates are driven by the reality that the university cannot handle and does not have the resources to support a higher admission rate.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: June 13, 2022, 02:44:38 PM »
I agree, OMG.

My original statement really didn't have much of anything to do with admissions.   It was a statement that I simply do not believe that any university of 50K plus, that graduates 10K plus at a time is a particularly strident academic institution.  In some programs, sure, but overall, extremely doubtful.    In addition, admission percentages must also consider the number of applicants,  the university has to take into account whether they have the resources to support all the students that apply/who are admitted.

I always put a huge grain of salt on massive public universities that have relatively low admission percentages until after I see the number of applicants.  For the fall of 2021, UT-Austin had 66,000 applications.    That's roughly the population  of Lawrence, KS.    Congrats to UT-A for being popular, but the low admission rates are driven by the reality that the university cannot handle and does not have the resources to support a higher admission rate.

Ok. I see no lies. But I also think that UT-A wishes to stay more selective for rankings purposes. The law school, for example, has shrunk over the past 20 years in lieu of lowering its admissions standards (as a result of fewer people applying to law school due to broader trends in the legal market). It could handle twice the number of current students, as they have before. But with fewer applicants, that would mean lowering median GPA and LSAT scores of admitted students.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: June 13, 2022, 05:10:14 PM »
Hey, could someone point me to the TexAgs politics board gems thread?  I seem to be in the wrong spot...

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: June 15, 2022, 09:30:17 AM »
Woke libs cancelling the aggies, smh

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: June 15, 2022, 09:59:34 AM »
Was horns down always an A&M thing? Or did they unoriginally co-opt it from Oklahoma?

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: June 15, 2022, 10:36:48 AM »
OU all the way

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: June 20, 2022, 02:21:24 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: June 20, 2022, 02:57:36 PM »
Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised with the number of posters who said it's legit.  I figured not only are they fake Army, they're fake vets.  It really helps to balance out the "Bill Gates poisoned the cattle and wants us to eat bugs for dinner" crowd over there.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: June 23, 2022, 07:43:24 AM »
Day one of grand opening of 5 Guys Hamburger in Huntsville, Alabama.
3,136 Views | 34 Replies
FCBlitz10:39p, 6/22/22
I go in on grand opening day to check things out and it immediately jumps out at me that every single worker looked like they just got of the bluebird bus from Guatemala. They spoke English to get the point across. They spoke Spanish between each other.

For two weeks they had help wanted sighs. There wasn't a single black, white or brown teenager from high school working.

So all of these illegal folks. Do they get placed en mass by a company? There is no was that 5 guys location had 2 weeks of job interviews and hired every Guatemalan in Huntsville.

We will never win this battle of protecting the border and controlling who enter the USA.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: June 23, 2022, 07:46:20 AM »
what an enormous loser

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: June 23, 2022, 08:24:11 AM »
There hasn't been a bigger fall from grace than 5 guys. I first had it in Wichita in 2011, got a burger and fries for $7, and I was hooked. It was delicious and the price couldn't be beat. Even before the pandemic. I went a few years without getting 5 guys. Then in 2016, or so, I got it again in Des Moines. That same meal was $15, still tasty though. In 2018, I got the same meal, but added a strawberry shake, in London. It was up to $20 USD. Then last week, here in northern Minnesota, I decided to try it again. The total was $23.52, but what was more disappointing, the burger was extremely mid. I don't know if my particular cook skimped on the beef seasoning, or this has been a change to 5 guys, but the burger was absolutely low grade. I think it was similar, or even worse than a Sonic Burger.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: June 23, 2022, 08:52:17 AM »
Gotta say I was pleasantly surprised with the number of posters who said it's legit.  I figured not only are they fake Army, they're fake vets.  It really helps to balance out the "Bill Gates poisoned the cattle and wants us to eat bugs for dinner" crowd over there.

It's nice when you actually might have people who know what they're talking about, it's like, gasp, being an expert in something means weirdo conspiracy crap goes down.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: June 23, 2022, 01:48:45 PM »
How would Jesus treat the modern progressive Democrats?
4,169 Views | 150 Replies
Clob947:43a
I have an Uncle that is a very religious man. Studied theology. Devout man. Don't think he'd say "poop" if he had a mouthful of it.

We were talking on the phone last night and I happened to have the news on and started venting about Progs and their blatant stupidity in most everything.

He reminded me that even in the face of stupidity and evil men, that Jesus remained steadfast about forgiving people.

I stewed on it after we hung up-- and I know he is right. Jesus would have done that very thing. But His Daddy would have buried them in 12 feet of ash, crumbled their cities to the ground, killed their first born, and turned the rest of them into salt pillars.

I know-- Dear Diary-- but seriously-- WWJD with today's Democrats?

Fun thread https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3298199

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: June 23, 2022, 02:19:29 PM »
How would Jesus treat the modern progressive Democrats?
4,169 Views | 150 Replies
Clob947:43a
I have an Uncle that is a very religious man. Studied theology. Devout man. Don't think he'd say "poop" if he had a mouthful of it.

We were talking on the phone last night and I happened to have the news on and started venting about Progs and their blatant stupidity in most everything.

He reminded me that even in the face of stupidity and evil men, that Jesus remained steadfast about forgiving people.

I stewed on it after we hung up-- and I know he is right. Jesus would have done that very thing. But His Daddy would have buried them in 12 feet of ash, crumbled their cities to the ground, killed their first born, and turned the rest of them into salt pillars.

I know-- Dear Diary-- but seriously-- WWJD with today's Democrats?

Fun thread https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3298199

they are such huge tools

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: June 23, 2022, 02:25:37 PM »
Jesus would say poop

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: June 23, 2022, 02:40:14 PM »
Jesus would say poop

bowel movement, aka big job

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: June 23, 2022, 03:19:40 PM »
He'd call them dumps. Massive, massive dumps.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: June 23, 2022, 03:41:53 PM »
would probably include some elements of bathrooms

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1774 on: June 23, 2022, 03:48:17 PM »
I had no idea the Aggies were so interested in escatology.