Author Topic: TexAgs politics board gems thread  (Read 141346 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: TexAgs politics board gems thread
« Reply #1675 on: May 30, 2022, 11:22:11 AM »
I think it is absolutely true that a significant number of people in our society feel hopeless. Blaming Greta is obviously unfair, but believing this may be the last hundred or two hundred years or 12 years or whatever is very damaging. I don’t think that is what this is about exactly, but if you can’t look around and see some last days coming vibes then Look a little closer.

Hopeless, angry, young men can be evil and we should probably reckon with what we can do about that and why they should have immediate access to weapons that can easily wipe out a classroom.

This post reminded me of how much ass Joel whipped in the 70's and 80's. As the resident biggest Joel fan, I also know that this is the song he opens ALL of his shows with. The intro is LOL long, but you can skip to about 1:50 if you want the lyrics:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 30, 2022, 12:19:33 PM »
Hey stranger I take umbrage with your assertion that you are the biggest Joel fan on this blog and I will happily challenge you to a joel off. But honestly I don’t you have a travelin prayer

Also I thought he said he had cut back on prelude/angry young man bc he’s getting older. Might be mistaking that for another song, tho. Will confirm when I see him in concert later this summer

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 30, 2022, 12:27:13 PM »
Hey stranger I take umbrage with your assertion that you are the biggest Joel fan on this blog and I will happily challenge you to a joel off. But honestly I don’t you have a travelin prayer

Also I thought he said he had cut back on prelude/angry young man bc he’s getting older. Might be mistaking that for another song, tho. Will confirm when I see him in concert later this summer

Ok, what's the best way to settle this Joel-off? Your grind and my grind ain't the same, dawg. I'm the catalogue. U the same song.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 30, 2022, 12:45:38 PM »
I’ll start.

Ok your turn

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 30, 2022, 12:47:14 PM »

Oh cool, you got some vinyls. As your first Joel purity test, the question is simple: Yes or No, is this the best Joel song ever?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: May 30, 2022, 12:56:04 PM »
Obviously yes and it really isn’t close

Best of his lesser-known, not necessarily chart toppers…what say you?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 30, 2022, 12:59:19 PM »

You chose ... wisely. Joel even recently divulged that he thinks it's his best song.

I could give you some deep, deep cuts my friend. I'm talking about some Oyster Bay kinda crap. In fact, I might just go with that.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: May 30, 2022, 01:06:49 PM »

You chose ... wisely. Joel even recently divulged that he thinks it's his best song.

I could give you some deep, deep cuts my friend. I'm talking about some Oyster Bay kinda crap. In fact, I might just go with that.

Quite a deep cut indeed, my good man. I was thinking of a particular song about a man from a town known as oyster bay Long Island…

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TexAgs politics board gems thread
« Reply #1683 on: May 30, 2022, 01:17:38 PM »
last days vibes were around a really, really long time before greta or even global warming warnings.
I agree, if my post sounded like it was blaming Greta that is on me. The difference is the guns. But why not try to deal with both?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: May 30, 2022, 01:25:38 PM »
I agree with you kk
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: May 30, 2022, 01:25:55 PM »

Quite a deep cut indeed, my good man. I was thinking of a particular song about a man from a town known as oyster bay Long Island…

Good one. Perhaps one of the most unusual Joel songs, I reckon. I love the "...a boy with a six-pack in his hands" line that came after the part you quoted. Joel was also self-deprecating about the "east and west of the Rio Grande" lyric, as he said decades later that when he wrote the song, he didn't realize the Rio Grande mostly ran east-to-west, so "north and south of the Rio Grande" would have made more sense.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: May 30, 2022, 02:56:49 PM »

Good one. Perhaps one of the most unusual Joel songs, I reckon. I love the "...a boy with a six-pack in his hands" line that came after the part you quoted. Joel was also self-deprecating about the "east and west of the Rio Grande" lyric, as he said decades later that when he wrote the song, he didn't realize the Rio Grande mostly ran east-to-west, so "north and south of the Rio Grande" would have made more sense.

If memory serves he was just making stuff up with that song. Like Billy the kid was not from wheeling West Virginia, nor did he start dating life of crime with a back in Colorado. I think he said he just kinda liked the theme song to one of those old spaghetti westerns and kinda worked from there

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: May 30, 2022, 03:19:33 PM »

Random Q: do you hear the protean seeds of Ballad of Billy the Kidd in the interlude part of Angry Young Man? Because I do.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: May 30, 2022, 04:11:39 PM »
I’d say that’s fair. There are a handful of his songs where if you turned on the radio at the right part of the song you could easily mistake it for a different one. Root beer Rag I would posit is very melodically similar to that interlude albeit a considerably faster time signature

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: May 30, 2022, 04:17:03 PM »
I’d say that’s fair. There are a handful of his songs where if you turned on the radio at the right part of the song you could easily mistake it for a different one. Root beer Rag I would posit is very melodically similar to that interlude albeit a considerably faster time signature

Fool, that's called tempo, not a "faster" time signature.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: May 30, 2022, 04:27:58 PM »
Music jargon is not my forte

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: May 30, 2022, 04:31:26 PM »

I love you, but we should stop rough ridin' up this thread. :twocents:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: May 30, 2022, 04:57:13 PM »

I was having the same thought a few posts back but then I thought you know this ags thread is brain cancer 99.9% off the time and maybe everyone would enjoy a brief 1 page respite with a good old fashioned joel off. That said, I agree. Hugecat will be piossed if he sees this lack of thread integrity. Back to the end of days discourse

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: May 30, 2022, 05:02:51 PM »

I was having the same thought a few posts back but then I thought you know this ags thread is brain cancer 99.9% off the time and maybe everyone would enjoy a brief 1 page respite with a good old fashioned joel off. That said, I agree. Hugecat will be piossed if he sees this lack of thread integrity. Back to the end of days discourse

:lol:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: May 30, 2022, 05:34:56 PM »
i'm not a billy joel fan and don't wish to be entered in the joel off, but i do want to share this charming tidbit of joel-related trivia over which i have chuckled several times since i first encountered it.

https://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2012/01/on-30th-anniversary-of-allentown-billy-joel-says-its-video-is-really-gay.html

"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: May 30, 2022, 05:36:06 PM »
if you can’t look around and see some last days coming vibes then Look a little closer.

last days of what?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 30, 2022, 06:01:37 PM »
i'm not a billy joel fan and don't wish to be entered in the joel off, but i do want to share this charming tidbit of joel-related trivia over which i have chuckled several times since i first encountered it.

https://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleymusic/2012/01/on-30th-anniversary-of-allentown-billy-joel-says-its-video-is-really-gay.html

This reminds me of when totally straight dudes realize for the first time that Top Gun is a gay fave.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 30, 2022, 07:35:15 PM »
This thread has become worse than Uptown Girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
TexAgs politics board gems thread
« Reply #1698 on: May 30, 2022, 10:24:26 PM »
I enjoyed the Joel-off.

Still can’t tell what kk is trying to say. Or why he thinks today’s end times sooty-sayers are any more right than literally every other generation’s.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: May 30, 2022, 11:41:40 PM »
what's the best joel cover band?