Author Topic: Coaching Staff - might as well get this started...  (Read 72627 times)

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Staff - might as well get this started...
« Reply #225 on: December 28, 2018, 11:16:57 AM »
First glance at ManPant's colts stats aren't terribly impressive.  Numbers got worse from his first to second year.  First year seemed a little more bend but don't breakish as they ranked a lot worse in yards than points.  His time with Baltimore was with really good defenses. 

I'm pretty meh on him.  Would've rather we kept DC in-house between the programs and brought in an outside OC than the other way around.  Glad there is some fresh blood in there though.

Didn't the colts also play 2017 without Luck?  Could be a cause of the defense not playing as well, when the offense can't keep going.

Opposing teams also score less points when the offense sucks too bad to catch up.

There is a big difference in college vs NFL DC so he certainly still could be good.  I'm encouraged by his stint with Ravens.  I don't know how different of a system he was trying to institute in Indy, but that can take some time too.  I wouldn't buy into the "NFL DC!!!" hype that is going around though.

Yea, I don't know why anyone would buy into any "NFL DC" hype. For me, that is more a concern than a positive. Time will tell.

Offline surly

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 28, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
tigger fans sorry he's leaving. :Crybaby:  so there is that going for mono. 

this will be ck's defense anyway. :lynchmob:

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »
To even be hired as an NFL DC is a decent indicator he knows defense.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
Little underwhelmed but whatever.  I guess Bo said no.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #229 on: December 28, 2018, 01:02:05 PM »
Bo knows he'd have to face Bill in Vanier.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 28, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »
Little underwhelmed but whatever.  I guess Bo said no.

bo knows football, but bo pelini no's Kansas state new head coach on open defensive coordinator position

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 28, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »
Love the Malone and Anderson hires from a recruiting standpoint (Malone for Texas, Anderson for JUCOs). Monachino hasn't recruited for nearly 15 years since he left Koetter's staff at Arizona State, but he'll be able to sell that NFL experience and his title with the Ravens.

Overall, the staff is better than I would have thought Klieman could piece together (with the exception of Messingham, who is trash).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 28, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
BOOOOOOORIIIIING

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 28, 2018, 02:58:58 PM »
Unless we whip ass and recruit studs then not boring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 28, 2018, 04:40:38 PM »
 In my opinion, a lot of NFL guys get in trouble at the college level because they want to run a 3-4 defense.  That works at a few colleges that can get elite talent and it works well in the NFL where all players are elite, but at school like K-State it is hard to find the players to run that system.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 28, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
In my opinion, a lot of NFL guys get in trouble at the college level because they want to run a 3-4 defense.  That works at a few colleges that can get elite talent and it works well in the NFL where all players are elite, but at school like K-State it is hard to find the players to run that system.

well, about 45 of this guys 58 stops have been in college so hopefully he learned that lesson in the 45 minutes he spent not packing or unpacking his crap.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 28, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »

well, about 45 of this guys 58 stops have been in college so hopefully he learned that lesson in the 45 minutes he spent not packing or unpacking his crap.
Is this wasn't one of your own posts that you laughed at, it should have been.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 28, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »

Is this wasn't one of your own posts that you laughed at, it should have been.

oh I laugh at most of them. I'm very funny.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 28, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »

Iowa State runs a 3-4/3-3-5 base D. And they were questionably the best D in nu logo this year.

I may be mistaken, but I actually think the top D's in the Big 12 are mostly running 3 DL types/variations with 7/8 mean dropping into coverage, A LOT.

Could be something Klingerman noticed.

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 28, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »

Iowa State runs a 3-4/3-3-5 base D. And they were questionably the best D in nu logo this year.

I may be mistaken, but I actually think the top D's in the Big 12 are mostly running 3 DL types/variations with 7/8 mean dropping into coverage, A LOT.

Yes, and most B12 schools recruit at a significantly higher level than KSU.  I am not saying that the set matters, but having the horses to run it is a different deal.  See the Ron Prince 3-4 experiment.  In the NFL that is less of an issue than in college (the draft and set roster / team numbers are a bit of an equalizer).

My guess is that KSU will run Kly’s defense.  All together I really like the staff that Kly has put together and having a former NFL DC along with Seiler and Malone seem like a huge win for us.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 28, 2018, 09:05:43 PM »

Yes, and most B12 schools recruit at a significantly higher level than KSU.  I am not saying that the set matters, but having the horses to run it is a different deal.  See the Ron Prince 3-4 experiment.  In the NFL that is less of an issue than in college (the draft and set roster / team numbers are a bit of an equalizer).

My guess is that KSU will run Kly’s defense.  All together I really like the staff that Kly has put together and having a former NFL DC along with Seiler and Malone seem like a huge win for us.

every system needs "horses" to run it successfully. jesus christ

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 28, 2018, 09:27:46 PM »
Lol at the idea that you need good players to run a 3-4 but not a 4-3.  Regardless, this is 2018, you are probably only running 25% of your plays with <5 DBs on the field.
:adios:

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2018, 09:40:20 PM »
I’m still waiting on an assistant with a Canton McKinley/Massillon connection.
KU made the better hire....Miles is a sure fire grantee

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 28, 2018, 09:54:26 PM »
I’m not sure how much detail we will ever get on the support staff army that he wants to assemble but that’s probably the most exciting prospect of the Klieman regime.  Braet with a solid team of designated recruiting support could have as much or more impact on the program’s talent level than anything else.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kearneymen

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2018, 07:21:26 AM »
Lol at the idea that you need good players to run a 3-4 but not a 4-3.  Regardless, this is 2018, you are probably only running 25% of your plays with <5 DBs on the field.

Clearly I am not saying that you don’t need talent to run a different scheme or that one scheme is superior to another or that coaches aren’t smart.  I am however suggesting that the type of talent needed to run schemes is different and the number of massive nose tackles that can occupy multiple OL and the number of massive DEs that can run like a deer are limited (a problem in college not in the NFL).  It has been my observation that NFL guys that come down to college sometimes struggle to match their playbook with their talent and recruiting base as that typically isn’t an issue in the NFL with limited teams, salary caps, draft, etc.

Like I said, I really like the hire and the staff that Kly has built.  I am looking my forward to the Spring Game (long time since I said that).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 07:32:12 AM by kearneymen »

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
Is Dawson staying as strength and conditioning?....asking on behalf of Manhattan Catholic schools
No
well Merry F!@$ing Christmas  :flush:
Stop the presses. There's been a development.

Sent from my 9024W using Tapatalk

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 29, 2018, 08:39:09 AM »
Is Dawson staying as strength and conditioning?....asking on behalf of Manhattan Catholic schools
No

Dawson staying?
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #247 on: December 29, 2018, 08:40:04 AM »
No

Dawson staying?
That's the word. NDSU s&c decided to stay home.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 29, 2018, 08:45:00 AM »
No

Dawson staying?
That's the word. NDSU s&c decided to stay home.

cool...he has 3 kids at MCS...glad for them, plus Dawson runs a good program.
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 29, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »

Clearly I am not saying that you don’t need talent to run a different scheme or that one scheme is superior to another or that coaches aren’t smart.  I am however suggesting that the type of talent needed to run schemes is different and the number of massive nose tackles that can occupy multiple OL and the number of massive DEs that can run like a deer are limited (a problem in college not in the NFL).  It has been my observation that NFL guys that come down to college sometimes struggle to match their playbook with their talent and recruiting base as that typically isn’t an issue in the NFL with limited teams, salary caps, draft, etc.

Like I said, I really like the hire and the staff that Kly has built.  I am looking my forward to the Spring Game (long time since I said that).
on the flip side ksu always has trouble filling their DL with talent especially at the DT position. IF u went to 3/4 instead of having difficulty recruiting 2 inside positions they would only have difficulty recruiting 1 inside position.
so yes those big bodies are hard to find but we would only need find 1 instead of 2.
you could make an argument that the fewer DLs needed the better for KSU because those are the most contested for recruits and we never get them
just 1 good graduate transfer could transform the whole position with 1 player instead of needing 2