Author Topic: Someone explain to me what happened after 2003  (Read 8584 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Someone explain to me what happened after 2003
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2018, 08:56:42 PM »
well we rough ridin' sucked for starters. then our coach bailed because he couldn't deal with it.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2018, 10:11:30 PM »
Two major factors - Bill played musical chairs at QB in both 2004 and 2005 and they couldn't seal the deal in close games (lost 4 games by 10 points or less in 2004 and lost three Big 12 games by a combined 7 points in 2005 - two of those games were won on FGs in the final minute).

If you flip 1-2 games to Ws in those years, Snyder probably wouldn't have retired.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2018, 10:13:50 PM »
Two major factors - Bill played musical chairs at QB in both 2004 and 2005 and they couldn't seal the deal in close games (lost 4 games by 10 points or less in 2004 and lost three Big 12 games by a combined 7 points in 2005 - two of those games were won on FGs in the final minute).

If you flip 1-2 games to Ws in those years, Snyder probably wouldn't have retired.

Like losing a 1, 3, 4, and 5 point game in same year.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2018, 10:27:33 PM »
lmao

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2018, 01:29:00 AM »
Is Steffy Sean?
:adios:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2018, 03:14:55 AM »
bill was so lucky to have collin and arthur fall into his lap. how can he look back at his career and think that talent wasn't important?

bill can coach and develop players better than most, and if he had a team where the average recruit was a rivals 5.6 3 star, i think we'd be at least top 25 every year. actually 2018 was alright, 2015 was meh, 2016 and 2017 were disasters though. too bad he was too stubborn.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2018, 07:53:18 AM »
Fall into his lap? ICYMI, Arthur was an afterthought for most programs by the time we picked him up (Bryce was the Big headline grabber-LOL), and Klein was not talented enough to make an NFL roster.

It’s time for Bill to go, but if you think he just got lucky in 2011/2012 you’re insane.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »
Fall into his lap? ICYMI, Arthur was an afterthought for most programs by the time we picked him up (Bryce was the Big headline grabber-LOL), and Klein was not talented enough to make an NFL roster.

It’s time for Bill to go, but if you think he just got lucky in 2011/2012 you’re insane.

There's like 30 guys on that roster that would have been the best player we had on the field this year

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2018, 08:05:12 AM »
The funniest part of all was the "welp, we just couldn't land all those 4 and 5 star guys so we're just gonna flip this thing to try hards, wide spot in the roaders, and underrecruited (for a reason) guys and just coach them up".

It also didn't help that Snyder had/has so many restrictions on recruiting that absolutely kill us, and by all accounts from ITK people at the first hint of any real competition for some guys K-State completely backs off . . . plus Bill doesn't get out on the road.

The pinnacle of college football on the other hand are relentless recruiters that are not only in house but host recruits at their personal homes when those recruits make campus visits.   For Nick Saban it's a luxury bus ride out to Nick's palatial euro style mansion on Lake Tuscaloosa where they're ushered inside by private security after checking out Nick's lineup of AMG Benz's in the courtyard.  Inside they're funneled into a recruit hosting room full of big screens, pool tables etc. etc.   Nick then takes various ones for rides on a golf cart on the property to talk and many commit right there.   Rinse-Repeat . . . or Nick is in home dancing with mom and the rest of the family, whatever it takes.   Peak recruiting. 

Whereas at K-State, sometimes recruits don't even meet with Bill on campus visits.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2018, 09:18:10 AM »
The funniest part of all was the "welp, we just couldn't land all those 4 and 5 star guys so we're just gonna flip this thing to try hards, wide spot in the roaders, and underrecruited (for a reason) guys and just coach them up".

It also didn't help that Snyder had/has so many restrictions on recruiting that absolutely kill us, and by all accounts from ITK people at the first hint of any real competition for some guys K-State completely backs off . . . plus Bill doesn't get out on the road.

The pinnacle of college football on the other hand are relentless recruiters that are not only in house but host recruits at their personal homes when those recruits make campus visits.   For Nick Saban it's a luxury bus ride out to Nick's palatial euro style mansion on Lake Tuscaloosa where they're ushered inside by private security after checking out Nick's lineup of AMG Benz's in the courtyard.  Inside they're funneled into a recruit hosting room full of big screens, pool tables etc. etc.   Nick then takes various ones for rides on a golf cart on the property to talk and many commit right there.   Rinse-Repeat . . . or Nick is in home dancing with mom and the rest of the family, whatever it takes.   Peak recruiting. 

Whereas at K-State, sometimes recruits don't even meet with Bill on campus visits.

His disdain for recruiting is what kept him from achieving his true potential, sad really.  He was good enough to win a natty but he self limited.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2018, 10:42:00 AM »

His disdain for recruiting is what kept him from achieving his true potential, sad really.  He was good enough to win a natty but he self limited.

Goal 17: Do as these say, not as I do.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2018, 10:46:04 AM »

yeah I think when a former #1 recruit in your backyard is on a crowded depth chart, returns home and becomes B12DPOY that qualifies as falling into his lap. Also don't forget about Chris Harper who would have been our best receiver this year.

And GMAFB if you think Klein not making an NFL roster means he wasn't talented. Bill mumped up by not playing him sooner.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2018, 10:48:32 AM »
playing klein sooner would have just expedited his early onset dementia
klein took as many snaps for k-state as his body could have

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2018, 10:53:40 AM »
If Snyder did the best recruiting he was capable of, could he have landed both Browns from the beginning? In other words, did his alleged slacking at recruiting truly cost us with them?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2018, 11:27:16 AM »

I'm in no way advocating for Bill to stay but this is some kso level hyperbole, total bullshit.

His perceived disdain for recruiting didn't have anything to do with laziness or anything attributable to a negative personality trait. He hit the road when the season was over because he believed the program was better suited to develop the players in the program and recruiting in season came at the expense of that development.

It's really the biggest reason he has to go. The early signing period should have marked a hard shift in this philosophy but there are reports of him still placing heavy restrictions on what his coaches can do, in season.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »

I'm in no way advocating for Bill to stay but this is some kso level hyperbole, total bullshit.

His perceived disdain for recruiting didn't have anything to do with laziness or anything attributable to a negative personality trait. He hit the road when the season was over because he believed the program was better suited to develop the players in the program and recruiting in season came at the expense of that development.

It's really the biggest reason he has to go. The early signing period should have marked a hard shift in this philosophy but there are reports of him still placing heavy restrictions on what his coaches can do, in season.

eff off. Goal 12 - No Self-Limitations. If you’re saying he needs to go because he put limitations on himself and the program’s recruiting, then you can’t say he followed his own plan for success.
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
playing klein sooner would have just expedited his early onset dementia
klein took as many snaps for k-state as his body could have

yes this is probably true

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »

eff off. Goal 12 - No Self-Limitations. If you’re saying he needs to go because he put limitations on himself and the program’s recruiting, then you can’t say he followed his own plan for success.

It's not a self-limitation, man, it's a philosophy. If you're on the road you're not sifting through film, you aren't in meetings, you're not in practice, you're not meeting with your position players. I'm not saying I agree with the philosophy but it physically isn't possible to be in Vanier and in Plano at the same time.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »

It's not a self-limitation, man, it's a philosophy. If you're on the road you're not sifting through film, you aren't in meetings, you're not in practice, you're not meeting with your position players. I'm not saying I agree with the philosophy but it physically isn't possible to be in Vanier and in Plano at the same time.

With today’s technology you can be those things from anywhere. Film, watch practice, meetings...I’m not saying Snyder needs to be the one on the road every day, but I travel a eff ton. 15 years ago that meant a lot of down time, now I can get a ton done.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »

With today’s technology you can be those things from anywhere. Film, watch practice, meetings...I’m not saying Snyder needs to be the one on the road every day, but I travel a eff ton. 15 years ago that meant a lot of down time, now I can get a ton done.

I'm not saying otherwise, and you can bet your ass that on the rare occurrences when a coach is allowed on the road during the season they are watching film.

We don't need to legislate game film technology, my issue is with your framing of Snyder's recruiting philosophy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2018, 01:57:20 PM »

I'm not saying otherwise, and you can bet your ass that on the rare occurrences when a coach is allowed on the road during the season they are watching film.

We don't need to legislate game film technology, my issue is with your framing of Snyder's recruiting philosophy.

I personally don't have much of a problem with his framing of it. my take is that as Snyder got older he became less able to deal with the uncertainty and unknown. that coupled with his already very strong introverted tendancies, made him unwilling to get out there and talk and recruit and take a chance on a 4 star that might take a lot of work and talking and understanding when a two star that would take a scholarship, show up to campus and hopefully just stfu was available. I don't even think this should be a controversial take. he poured himself into film and studying and long hours and talking into his cassette tape recorder because that's what he could do and what he was comfortable with.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
Daris, I think we're essentially in the same place. I'm saying that Snyder didn't view in season recruiting as worth the valuable time, low ROI. I think you're saying that Snyder didn't view it worth his or his assistants time. Either way it's not like he and his assistants were spending time not recruiting on the golf course or in junction city strip clubs, they were working.

Framing this as hypocrisy is incorrect, it wasn't that. They weren't asking the players to work hard while the coaches coasted. It was a flawed and outdated philosophy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2018, 03:21:01 PM »
Daris, I think we're essentially in the same place. I'm saying that Snyder didn't view in season recruiting as worth the valuable time, low ROI. I think you're saying that Snyder didn't view it worth his or his assistants time. Either way it's not like he and his assistants were spending time not recruiting on the golf course or in junction city strip clubs, they were working.

Framing this as hypocrisy is incorrect, it wasn't that. They weren't asking the players to work hard while the coaches coasted. It was a flawed and outdated philosophy.

yeah I agree with 90-95% of what you wrote. I've heard some stories though. instead of hanging out at jc strip clubs or the back of rockabilly or golfing or whatever, coaches were made to basically just sit in offices and stare at walls all day. that's not productive at all. I think Snyder enjoys the solitude, hates talking to people he doesn't know and just forced everybody else to pretty much do the same. that's just my take.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2018, 03:26:06 PM »
Nick Saban personally coaches the Alabama DB's.   

When you have lessor talent, they have to be coached up that much more, when you don't recruit, you have, wait for it, lessor talent all the time. 

I mean, last year during the rain delays they were literally doing walk-thrus in the weightroom.   That's how over-the-top Snyder is in trying to micro-manage every little thing.   Other coaches have quite clearly adapted to getting what needs to be done during the allotted time the NCAA rules have for practice.   LHC Bill Snyder has not . . . just another reason why K-State needs a total systemic overhaul.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2018, 03:29:27 PM »
Explain to me why doing walk throughs during a rain delay is bad
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite