Author Topic: Heading to WV for the game? Read this first!  (Read 8018 times)

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Heading to WV for the game? Read this first!
« on: September 20, 2018, 04:12:44 PM »
Fellow EMAWs,

I had the displeasure of attending our last game at Miller Puskar Stadium in 2016 with my wife and 2 young boys(age 6 and 9 at the time) and wanted to pass along some tips to anyone brave enough to make the trip this time.

Lodging – Can’t help you out here as we drove our Freedom Traveler RV up from our home base in Bird City. Trip was long but the mountains that still had their tops were gorgeous!

Tailgating – We parked at the RV lot by the stadium on Friday night and were advised by multiple WV fans to avoid tailgating outside of the stadium due to the rowdiness of the students/locals. Apparently they have had 2 stabbings the week before and 1 person died in the parking lot before the Marshall game the previous year. With 2 small future EMAW's in tow we decided to take their advice. Some WV fans did recommend we visit the Buffalo Wild Wings down the street instead of tailgating, we had never been before and I would have to say the food was subpar. My youngest Timothy got the cheeseburger and it came out cold. How do you mess up a cheeseburger?

Stadium – Miller Puskar Stadium reminds me a lot of Jack Trice except more concrete, the contractor must of got a heck of a deal on concrete as every possible surface was coated in it. After we found our seats I took the kids to the restroom and was stunned to see that none of the bathroom stalls have doors (Apparently they have had issues with people shooting up smack and overdosing during games). Of course Timmy had to go #2 so I was forced to stand where the door was supposed to be to block the view. The sight lines were alright but the whole stadium just gave me the eeeby jeebys, its like the blueprints were left over from an Warsaw Pact country. Everything was cold/gray/depressing.

I will never be making the trip again but if you are heading that way this weekend make sure to stay safe!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: Heading to WV for the game? Read this first!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:02:20 PM »
Good old topless top West Virginia!

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »
sounds like a great time!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 07:24:47 PM »
Bird City is a great little spot, good field report as well.  Emaw!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 07:42:44 PM »
Bird City is a great little spot, good field report as well.  Emaw!
That trip to Western Virginia made me realize how blessed we are to live in the great state of Kansas.

Offline MountaineerLegion

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 08:04:36 PM »
Fellow EMAWs,

I had the displeasure of attending our last game at Miller Puskar Stadium in 2016 with my wife and 2 young boys(age 6 and 9 at the time) and wanted to pass along some tips to anyone brave enough to make the trip this time.

Lodging – Can’t help you out here as we drove our Freedom Traveler RV up from our home base in Bird City. Trip was long but the mountains that still had their tops were gorgeous!

Tailgating – We parked at the RV lot by the stadium on Friday night and were advised by multiple WV fans to avoid tailgating outside of the stadium due to the rowdiness of the students/locals. Apparently they have had 2 stabbings the week before and 1 person died in the parking lot before the Marshall game the previous year. With 2 small future EMAW's in tow we decided to take their advice. Some WV fans did recommend we visit the Buffalo Wild Wings down the street instead of tailgating, we had never been before and I would have to say the food was subpar. My youngest Timothy got the cheeseburger and it came out cold. How do you mess up a cheeseburger?

Stadium – Miller Puskar Stadium reminds me a lot of Jack Trice except more concrete, the contractor must of got a heck of a deal on concrete as every possible surface was coated in it. After we found our seats I took the kids to the restroom and was stunned to see that none of the bathroom stalls have doors (Apparently they have had issues with people shooting up smack and overdosing during games). Of course Timmy had to go #2 so I was forced to stand where the door was supposed to be to block the view. The sight lines were alright but the whole stadium just gave me the eeeby jeebys, its like the blueprints were left over from an Warsaw Pact country. Everything was cold/gray/depressing.

I will never be making the trip again but if you are heading that way this weekend make sure to stay safe!

This sure reads like a tired troll job.  However, in the event it's not and while I have my doubts as to whether this will fall on deaf ears, I'll try.

Lodging

Hotels in Morgantown are limited and therefor expensive.  If you'll send us some of your flat land we'll build more.

Tailgating

First, I doubt there are any "students" tailgating in the parking lot outside the stadium.  That lot (Blue Lot) is massive, and the largest and most coveted lot.  It is ridiculously expensive ($800) for season parking, requires season tickets and an insane donation to the Mountaineer Athletic Club before you can buy either of those.  Plus, there is a long waiting list.  It's well beyond the means of the average student.

Additionally, there are thousands upon thousands of people in the Blue Lot.  If you're desperate to get caught I guess that would be the place to stab someone...maybe a police station. 

As for the two stabbings, surely there were witnesses with that many people there. However, Google searches for articles on "stabbings at WVU" and "stabbings in Morgantown" during the period Sept 15, 2016 - Oct 15, 2016 yield only these two articles. 

An article published Sept 30, 2016 detailed the stabbing of Jamie Noble a WWE Cruiserweight who was stabbed at his home in Mercer County 3 1/2 hours from Morgantown. https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/9/30/13124094/jamie-noble-wwe-hospitalized-stabbed-twice-west-virginia-mobile-home-park-driving-dispute

On Oct 7, 2016 Shannon Jones was stabbed in a house in Hurricane WV, 3 hours from Morgantown.  https://wchstv.com/news/local/victim-identified-in-hurricane-stabbing-death

As for the Marshall student who was supposedly murdered, can you provide a link?  I can't find any news reports based on the searches I did.

Stadium

Jack Trice and Milan Puskar were both designed by the same architectural firm.  IIRC correctly, we visited ISU and went with the same firm.

No one liked our bathrooms, not even us.  After enough bitching and nice paydays from the Big 12 we had a $45M upgrade to the concourses, restrooms, concessions, sound system, etc. 1 year after your visit.

We too think the stadium was pretty bare.  We've added banners and signage in the concourses celebrating past stars and accomplishments.  It's still not what we want but anyone being honest knows we won't be getting a new stadium anytime soon.  Truth hurts.

As for, "Apparently they have had issues with people shooting up smack and overdosing during games", can you provide a link?  Anything that has reached an "issue" level should be documented.

As for your eeeby jeebys, perhaps you need to toughen up.  I can provide dozens of statements from LSU, Baylor, ISU and other visiting fans who somehow escaped the eeeby jeebys and had a great time.  Some times people find what they're looking for regardless of whether it actually happened.

I can't wait for this weekend.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 08:53:43 PM »
so ben ji really wasn't trolling  :sdeek:

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
Fellow EMAWs,

This sure reads like a tired troll job.  However, in the event it's not and while I have my doubts as to whether this will fall on deaf ears, I'll try.

Lodging

Hotels in Morgantown are limited and therefor expensive.  If you'll send us some of your flat land we'll build more.

Tailgating

First, I doubt there are any "students" tailgating in the parking lot outside the stadium.  That lot (Blue Lot) is massive, and the largest and most coveted lot.  It is ridiculously expensive ($800) for season parking, requires season tickets and an insane donation to the Mountaineer Athletic Club before you can buy either of those.  Plus, there is a long waiting list.  It's well beyond the means of the average student.

Additionally, there are thousands upon thousands of people in the Blue Lot.  If you're desperate to get caught I guess that would be the place to stab someone...maybe a police station. 

As for the two stabbings, surely there were witnesses with that many people there. However, Google searches for articles on "stabbings at WVU" and "stabbings in Morgantown" during the period Sept 15, 2016 - Oct 15, 2016 yield only these two articles. 

An article published Sept 30, 2016 detailed the stabbing of Jamie Noble a WWE Cruiserweight who was stabbed at his home in Mercer County 3 1/2 hours from Morgantown. https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2016/9/30/13124094/jamie-noble-wwe-hospitalized-stabbed-twice-west-virginia-mobile-home-park-driving-dispute

On Oct 7, 2016 Shannon Jones was stabbed in a house in Hurricane WV, 3 hours from Morgantown.  https://wchstv.com/news/local/victim-identified-in-hurricane-stabbing-death

As for the Marshall student who was supposedly murdered, can you provide a link?  I can't find any news reports based on the searches I did.

Stadium

Jack Trice and Milan Puskar were both designed by the same architectural firm.  IIRC correctly, we visited ISU and went with the same firm.

No one liked our bathrooms, not even us.  After enough bitching and nice paydays from the Big 12 we had a $45M upgrade to the concourses, restrooms, concessions, sound system, etc. 1 year after your visit.

We too think the stadium was pretty bare.  We've added banners and signage in the concourses celebrating past stars and accomplishments.  It's still not what we want but anyone being honest knows we won't be getting a new stadium anytime soon.  Truth hurts.

As for, "Apparently they have had issues with people shooting up smack and overdosing during games", can you provide a link?  Anything that has reached an "issue" level should be documented.

As for your eeeby jeebys, perhaps you need to toughen up.  I can provide dozens of statements from LSU, Baylor, ISU and other visiting fans who somehow escaped the eeeby jeebys and had a great time.  Some times people find what they're looking for regardless of whether it actually happened.

I'm glad you upgraded the rest rooms but I will not take my family back to Morganton until the tailgating situation is corrected.

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:54:24 PM »
Fellow EMAWs,

Lodging

Tailgating

Stadium

I'm glad you upgraded the rest rooms but I will not take my family back to Morganton until the tailgating situation is corrected.

You mean the tailgating stabbings and murder you heard from some random WVU fan?  Horrors you've apparently decided not to provide any news documentation for despite my query.  I personally don't care if you come back.  So you got us.  Our bathrooms were sub par, our stadium is grey and we don't have a lot of hotels.  Oh the humanity.  Run for cover, save the women and children! 

Perhaps I'll come back after the game and tell you some random KSt fan told me not to sit near the visitors section.  He said your university issued batteries, urine bags and although rare in Kansas, dead armadillos to throw at WVU fans (The armadillos were an attempt to throw the blame on a TX school).  And set in motion roving KSt bandits to push little ole WVU grandmas down the aisles.  I swear it's true.  KU confirmed it.

Care to provide any evidence of the stabbings and Marshall fan murder?  How about the smack overdoses you mention?  Trolling or do you really believe the folks on your board are really that gullible?

As I said, I can't wait til this weekend.

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 04:46:17 AM »
Man, THIS is why I'm happy to pay for the VIP subscription!

Btw, I'll be at Oktoberfest in Cincinnati this weekend, so please be patient when @'ing me on the twitter Saturday.

Looking forward to 3 in a row!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 09:10:22 AM »
Holy cow, you guys visited Jack Trice and thought it'd be a great idea to emulate that place?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 09:14:03 AM »
What type of fake af emaw has never been to bww before

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 09:32:03 AM »
I couldn't risk waiting to see how this ben ji vs. legion investigation played out.  Flight canceled.  We've got a bww here.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 09:48:33 AM »
I love Morgantown and the West Virginia campus, but it reminds me of KU in that they have a beautiful campus but a horrible, ugly stadium.  WV fans were exceedingly polite and friendly when I went to the first KSU road game there.  No regrets, would do it again when I get a chance.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »
I went in '16 and can confirm they used to have some mountains, the tops are all gone now though.

Also can confirm the WVU fans believe they are some rowdy rough and tumble folks but are legit the weakest fans in Big 12 and I'm including soft ass Baylor.

Offline cummin_CAT

• Fan
  • Hellz yeah
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »
If you're planning on some road beef they have that great country strange up there, wooly and wild.  I looked like I had been attacked by the Yahoo, but it was worth it.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
Is that idiot "the dude" still a thing?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »

Offline cDubya

• Coal Grab'r
  • Katpak'r
  • KCCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 11:40:48 AM »
Is that idiot "the dude" still a thing?
If by "a thing" you mean an absolute tool, then yes, he is certainly still that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 11:48:11 AM »
yeah he was a total dorkstore that gE owned and completely destroyed.  I just wondered if he still flailed around pathetically or had just stopped

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »
Holy cow, you guys visited Jack Trice and thought it'd be a great idea to emulate that place?
This really is an amazing IRL WV owning of itself
:adios:

Offline concordmountaineer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
Fellow EMAWs,

LOL Nobody died in the parking lot before a Marshall game, nice try. Second, nobody shoots up anything in the stadium restrooms. We leveled those and did a complete reconstruction of our restrooms and concessions 2 years ago. I think you'll find it much more suitable. As far as the stadium goes, it is what it is. Since then we have added alot to it with adding a lot of color in the forms of banners, new paint, new turf, and a new video board on the hospital end zone side of the stadium. The next project is to remove all of the bleachered seating and install chairbacks.  For the one guy on here that trolls about having a miserable trip, I'll find you plenty of other Big 12, SEC, and ACC fans that have visited our stadium and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Your stadium is ugly, your team sucks, and your coach is old as dirt. Now go tell all your friends what some random WVU fan just said about you.

For those of you honest Kansas State fans, I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your time visiting our area.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:02:39 PM by concordmountaineer »

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2018, 02:03:54 PM »
I copy/pasted concordmountaineer's post and sent it straight to Coach Snyder so he can email it to his secretary to have printed off and pinned to the locker room bulletin board. We are going to destroy them now, and concordmountaineer just supplied the gunpowder to the absolute offensive explosion we are about to witness.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
Oh crap, they mumped up.

• Coal Grab'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »
I copy/pasted concordmountaineer's post and sent it straight to Coach Snyder so he can email it to his secretary to have printed off and pinned to the locker room bulletin board. We are going to destroy them now, and concordmountaineer just supplied the gunpowder to the absolute offensive explosion we are about to witness.

A random KSt fan told me the fact your fans think an internet post is going to motivate your team is an indication of how much trouble your team is in this weekend.

He also told me the Purple Wizard has lost the ability to motivate the team without random posts from the internet.

By the way, Purple Wizard = Mad Respect, as far as I'm concerned.  Some EMAW posters...not so much respect.