Author Topic: That guy that was Trump's attorney for X years  (Read 8823 times)

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
That guy that was Trump's attorney for X years
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:54:26 AM »

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: That guy that was Trump's attorney for X years
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
I bet the guy that was Bill Clinton's attorney back when I was in middle school was way worse

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:09:24 AM »
I just wanted to get onto the ground floor of a thread (great title, btw) that is sure to skyrocket to pinned status.

I'll go ahead and place a few markers while I'm at it:

First, a campaign paying off people with dirt to dish is not exactly groundbreaking. Nor would listing those payments as legal expenses. Nor is there any good legal authority that such payments would constitute "campaign contributions" (can't wait for all the creative arguments of those "legal experts" tho!). In short, this is going nowhere as a criminal matter for Trump.

Second, as a political matter, of course the Dems are going to use this as a basis to impeach Trump, but they were already going to impeach him anyway if they retake the House. They're either going to retake the House or not. If they make impeachment a central part of this fall campaign, I suspect that will not help them do so.

Third, this is why you hire reputable lawyers to do your dirty work. You think the Feds were ever going to raid the offices of Perkins Cole? The Clintons know how to do this right. Trump is straight up amateur hour when it comes to hiring attorneys. He'd better get serious.

Fourth, I'm really glad Stormy Daniels is back in the headlines. I really hope CNN gets back to giving Avenatti plenty of airtime and the Dems really embrace this whole hog. It's really gonna boost the favorability of the Dem party!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:12:25 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:15:02 AM »
Nor is there any good legal authority that such payments would constitute "campaign contributions" (can't wait for all the creative arguments of those "legal experts" tho!).

us attorneys just charged a person for doing exactly that and the person pled guilty.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:17:03 AM »
Nor is there any good legal authority that such payments would constitute "campaign contributions" (can't wait for all the creative arguments of those "legal experts" tho!).

us attorneys just charged a person for doing exactly that and the person pled guilty.

Yeah you know that doesn't actually mean anything, right? Appears the big squeeze was again some sort of tax fraud for a taxi business?! :lol:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 10:20:51 AM »
i'm not an attorney.  please explain to me why a prosecutor's decision to charge someone with a certain crime and the alleged criminal's decision to plead guilty to that crime does not indicate that the crime is a crime.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
I just wanted to get onto the ground floor of a thread (great title, btw) that is sure to skyrocket to pinned status.

I'll go ahead and place a few markers while I'm at it:

First, a campaign paying off people with dirt to dish is not exactly groundbreaking. Nor would listing those payments as legal expenses. Nor is there any good legal authority that such payments would constitute "campaign contributions" (can't wait for all the creative arguments of those "legal experts" tho!). In short, this is going nowhere as a criminal matter for Trump.

Second, as a political matter, of course the Dems are going to use this as a basis to impeach Trump, but they were already going to impeach him anyway if they retake the House. They're either going to retake the House or not. If they make impeachment a central part of this fall campaign, I suspect that will not help them do so.

Third, this is why you hire reputable lawyers to do your dirty work. You think the Feds were ever going to raid the offices of Perkins Cole? The Clintons know how to do this right. Trump is straight up amateur hour when it comes to hiring attorneys. He'd better get serious.

Fourth, I'm really glad Stormy Daniels is back in the headlines. I really hope CNN gets back to giving Avenatti plenty of airtime and the Dems really embrace this whole hog. It's really gonna boost the favorability of the Dem party!

It's "Perkins Coie" bud.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »
Trump would be able to get better attorneys if he didn't have a reputation for not paying them. Rudy Giuliani is worse than a court-appointed attorney would be. I'd rather represent myself.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 10:27:25 AM »
I bet the guy that was Bill Clinton's attorney back when I was in middle school was way worse

Once again this shitty take.   The guy is quite literally working the TV circuit . . . today.   Yet, you're going to try and play that card, Dug?

FFS

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
i'm not an attorney.  please explain to me why a prosecutor's decision to charge someone with a certain crime and the alleged criminal's decision to plead guilty to that crime does not indicate that the crime is a crime.

KSUW believes in the sort of thing described below in the same way that he believes in principles that rich people should benefit more from tax cuts than the non-rich, including himself, should.

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1032268471525154817

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »
if you are constantly finding yourself in such social and legal jeopardy that you need to keep a "fixer" on retainer, you probably aren't fit to hold political office

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 10:51:51 AM »

Once again this shitty take.   The guy is quite literally working the TV circuit . . . today.   Yet, you're going to try and play that card, Dug?

FFS

Who are you talking about?  I am not retired and cannot watch much news channel programming on weekdays.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 10:58:02 AM »

FFS

Who are you talking about?  I am not retired and cannot watch much news channel programming on weekdays.

They never talk about the news cycle on Twitter  (Dugout Dickstone)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 11:22:14 AM »

FFS

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 11:23:52 AM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/michael-cohen-donald-trump-pardon-trial-guilty-russia-investigation-a8502451.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_source=reddit.com#Echobox=1534934741

What is the legal reasoning for refusing to accept a pardon? Is this like Mangino taking himself out of the running for a coaching job?

It isn't legal reasoning. This is all political. Cohen is being "represented" by Clinton-fixer Lanny Davis! The top priority for Lanny is to extract as much damage as he can from his client against Trump. Hence the "we don't want a pardon." This whole thing is a circus.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »

FFS

No one ever uses social media to talk about things being said on TV (Dug)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:42 AM »
if you are constantly finding yourself in such social and legal jeopardy that you need to keep a "fixer" on retainer, you probably aren't fit to hold political office

I'm just quoting this for posterity. Literally every major Democrat politician - including Obama and the Clintons - had at least one if not multiple fixers. In fact, Clinton fixer Lanny Davis is now "representing" Trump's fixer! That is amazing. :lol:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/michael-cohen-donald-trump-pardon-trial-guilty-russia-investigation-a8502451.html?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_source=reddit.com#Echobox=1534934741

What is the legal reasoning for refusing to accept a pardon? Is this like Mangino taking himself out of the running for a coaching job?

It isn't legal reasoning. This is all political. Cohen is being "represented" by Clinton-fixer Lanny Davis! The top priority for Lanny is to extract as much damage as he can from his client against Trump. Hence the "we don't want a pardon." This whole thing is a circus.

I have a really hard time believing Michael Cohen is wiling to sit in prison to hurt Trump politically if there were a way he wouldn't have to.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »

I have a really hard time believing Michael Cohen is wiling to sit in prison to hurt Trump politically if there were a way he wouldn't have to.

This is just Lanny Davis posturing.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2018, 11:37:57 AM »
By the way, raise your hand if you're smarter than Alan Dershowitz. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/08/22/dershowitz_candidate_entitled_to_pay_hush_money_committed_no_election_crime.html

As I said, Trump isn't in legal jeopardy. If Trump directed Cohen to pay the hush money, that isn't a campaign finance violation.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
I guess we will see.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »
Alan Dershowitz is far too old to be a competent criminal attorney.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »

I'm just quoting this for posterity. Literally every major Democrat politician - including Obama and the Clintons - had at least one if not multiple fixers. In fact, Clinton fixer Lanny Davis is now "representing" Trump's fixer! That is amazing. :lol:

what was the name of BHO's fixer?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »
By the way, raise your hand if you're smarter than Alan Dershowitz. https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/08/22/dershowitz_candidate_entitled_to_pay_hush_money_committed_no_election_crime.html

As I said, Trump isn't in legal jeopardy. If Trump directed Cohen to pay the hush money, that isn't a campaign finance violation.

:rolleyes:

Trump lives in legal jeopardy.  Also, the payoff could absolutely be a campaign finance violation.