Author Topic: official thread to discuss money siphoned from the ku athletic department to  (Read 36969 times)

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Would have thought this board, thought it, was too elite to dwell on KU so thoroughly.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When there's major corruption at your little sister school it must be examined completely.

The42Yardstick

And by the way, as I pointed out earlier — if he by some remote chance he didn't know, that in and of itself is a fireable offense to not be aware of your own senior staff's dealings and the loss of millions of dollars (on top of his prior unawareness of academic fraud and lack of institutional control). For a man lauded for his abilities, he sure seems to "not know" alot of stuff.
this is the issue that Lew Perkins cannot get around.  He gets paid to know what's going on in his athletic dept.  He knows what's going on in his athletic dept by putting controls in place that he can review to ensure that things like this don't happen.  He's negligent.  Either he knew what was going on and for his own reasons let it occur, or he didn't know what was going on and never put in place the controls necessary to prevent these things from happening.  Either way- he's negligent.  The university employs internal and external auditors, where the shazbot! were they?  They're negligent too.   Ignorance is not a defense.

For the record, I agree with this.  Perkins should be fired for the simple fact that this happened under his watch.  Honestly, Perkins has done some great things for KU, specifically when it comes to increasing the athletic budget, but I've got no problem with moving on to a different athletic director. 
i seriously doubt they fire him as long as he didn't put the university's athletic program's in harms way, which it doesn't sound like he did.  i wouldn't fire him unless he did.  he's still +several hundred milion dollars on the University's balance sheet and the reality is that's what's most important.

Good posts by both posters 's'clams and beems. Great kids here. Great kids.

's'clams, couldn't you say that Lew's negligence may or may not bring NCAA investigators (i.e. possible harm) to the KU basketball and football programs, assuming they decide to grow a pair and actually sniff around? I would say that if the NCAA and/or FBI, IRS, etc. start making serious dents in KU's pocketbook, Lew is gone. Or, maybe he's gone anyway, because there may be some significant declines in donations because of this whole fiasco. Either way, he's gonna ride off into the sunset smoking $100 bills :love: :love:

The42Yardstick

Would have thought this board, thought it, was too elite to dwell on KU so thoroughly.

It's the offseason, there is jack squat to talk about unless you go and make another video*

*blatant hint

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I love the theory that Lew "they don't call him Dollar Bill for nothin" Perkins allowed $3 million in tickets to just slip through the cracks. 

Love it.
Exactly... why would Lew "allow" his athletic department to lose money?
 :lol:

Um... pretty sure you are misinterpreting what he's saying.  :facepalm:

"Allowing" something to happen means that you're conscious of the situation.  If Lew "allowed" it to happen, he knew about it.  Most KU fans are claiming he didn't know about it.

:dunno:

This is my favorite thing in this thread so far

Yes, and its not even close.  Of anyone that is posting in this thread, (or on this board) captain crap is probably the most reliable on the subject at hand. 

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Still want to know where the money is.

Did the report address this?  Anyone with a mortgage/property they shouldn't be able to afford?  If not, where did it go?

The logical explanation, of course, is that the guys who were making hundreds of thousands of dollars on this scandal were just giving all of the money away. 

If they were not simply handing it out, they should be able to point to an asset, gambling debt, coke habit, etc that they blew all the money on. 

Where is it?

It's not like these guys were poor to begin with.  Don't let logic get in the way of your big bad KU conspiracy theories, though. 

I don't care if they were making Bill Self money, money leaves trails unless you take pains to make sure it doesn't.

Where did it go?

BTW, some of the assist AD's were making around $100k.  $100k isn't enough of a salary to hide $800k illegal compensation.

Where did it go?

It's like a broken record. 

Yet you still haven't responded to it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
And by the way, as I pointed out earlier — if he by some remote chance he didn't know, that in and of itself is a fireable offense to not be aware of your own senior staff's dealings and the loss of millions of dollars (on top of his prior unawareness of academic fraud and lack of institutional control). For a man lauded for his abilities, he sure seems to "not know" alot of stuff.
this is the issue that Lew Perkins cannot get around.  He gets paid to know what's going on in his athletic dept.  He knows what's going on in his athletic dept by putting controls in place that he can review to ensure that things like this don't happen.  He's negligent.  Either he knew what was going on and for his own reasons let it occur, or he didn't know what was going on and never put in place the controls necessary to prevent these things from happening.  Either way- he's negligent.  The university employs internal and external auditors, where the shazbot! were they?  They're negligent too.   Ignorance is not a defense.

For the record, I agree with this.  Perkins should be fired for the simple fact that this happened under his watch.  Honestly, Perkins has done some great things for KU, specifically when it comes to increasing the athletic budget, but I've got no problem with moving on to a different athletic director.  
i seriously doubt they fire him as long as he didn't put the university's athletic program's in harms way, which it doesn't sound like he did.  i wouldn't fire him unless he did.  he's still +several hundred milion dollars on the University's balance sheet and the reality is that's what's most important.

's'clams, couldn't you say that Lew's negligence may or may not bring NCAA investigators (i.e. possible harm) to the KU basketball and football programs, assuming they decide to grow a pair and actually sniff around? I would say that if the NCAA and/or FBI, IRS, etc. start making serious dents in KU's pocketbook, Lew is gone. Or, maybe he's gone anyway, because there may be some significant declines in donations because of this whole fiasco. Either way, he's gonna ride off into the sunset smoking $100 bills :love: :love:
i don't see how this is an NCAA issue.  seems to me to be a case of incompetence on Lew's and the auditors part, but that's about it.  there's no way LP knew about this, no way.  his big problem that he can't escape from is that he hired the people that had oversight (the asst AD's and the auditors) whose reports he relied upon when he was told things were good to go.  if this happened in any regular business, meaning not Athletic Dept, that had the size of balance sheet that KU's AD does, there would be no talk of firing the CEO.  the auditors would be held to task, the internal oversight and accountants would be held to task but the guy at the top wouldn't be- especially given the level of success that LP has brought to KU's AD.  it would make no sense to let the guy go, KU has nothing to gain from it.  just revamp the controls and people in charge of overseeing them, which he's already begun doing, and move on.  

the donors who are pissed about the WEF stuff will be back, they've worked to hard to get their spots/seats and aren't going to give them up b/c some retards defrauded the AD.

this is a criminal matter, not an NCAA one.  IMO.  the NCAA might not be impressed by what's taken place but if they're not going to take action on incidents specific to student athletes/benefits, etc like has been going on at USC then they certainly aren't going to step in here. KU has mud in their eye and has been embarassed, what more would the NCAA do?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
All I want is for Morningstar's dad to go to Prison.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
this is the issue that Lew Perkins cannot get around.  He gets paid to know what's going on in his athletic dept.  He knows what's going on in his athletic dept by putting controls in place that he can review to ensure that things like this don't happen.  He's negligent.  Either he knew what was going on and for his own reasons let it occur, or he didn't know what was going on and never put in place the controls necessary to prevent these things from happening.  Either way- he's negligent.  The university employs internal and external auditors, where the shazbot! were they?  They're negligent too.   Ignorance is not a defense.

For the record, I agree with this.  Perkins should be fired for the simple fact that this happened under his watch.  Honestly, Perkins has done some great things for KU, specifically when it comes to increasing the athletic budget, but I've got no problem with moving on to a different athletic director.  
i seriously doubt they fire him as long as he didn't put the university's athletic program's in harms way, which it doesn't sound like he did.  i wouldn't fire him unless he did.  he's still +several hundred milion dollars on the University's balance sheet and the reality is that's what's most important.

i don't see how this is an NCAA issue.  seems to me to be a case of incompetence on Lew's and the auditors part, but that's about it.  there's no way LP knew about this, no way.  his big problem that he can't escape from is that he hired the people that had oversight (the asst AD's and the auditors) whose reports he relied upon when he was told things were good to go.  if this happened in any regular business, meaning not Athletic Dept, that had the size of balance sheet that KU's AD does, there would be no talk of firing the CEO.  the auditors would be held to task, the internal oversight and accountants would be held to task but the guy at the top wouldn't be- especially given the level of success that LP has brought to KU's AD.  it would make no sense to let the guy go, KU has nothing to gain from it.  just revamp the controls and people in charge of overseeing them, which he's already begun doing, and move on.  

the donors who are pissed about the WEF stuff will be back, they've worked to hard to get their spots/seats and aren't going to give them up b/c some retards defrauded the AD.

this is a criminal matter, not an NCAA one.  IMO.  the NCAA might not be impressed by what's taken place but if they're not going to take action on incidents specific to student athletes/benefits, etc like has been going on at USC then they certainly aren't going to step in here. KU has mud in their eye and has been embarassed, what more would the NCAA do?

Morningstar's involvement could warrent an NCAA investigation.  However, as you alluded to re USC, nothing would come of it.  Even if it came out that morningstar was funnelling money to players (which he most assuredly was) nothing will happen.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The biggest issue ku has is Morningstar . . . but they'll likely not have to worry about it because the NCAA won't get off its ass and do anything.   If they do, ku is in world of $hit or NYU-Albany better just go ahead and board up their basketball program now.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

this is a criminal matter, not an NCAA one.  IMO.  the NCAA might not be impressed by what's taken place but if they're not going to take action on incidents specific to student athletes/benefits, etc like has been going on at USC then they certainly aren't going to step in here. KU has mud in their eye and has been embarassed, what more would the NCAA do?

Morningstar's involvement could warrent an NCAA investigation.  However, as you alluded to re USC, nothing would come of it.  Even if it came out that morningstar was funnelling money to players (which he most assuredly was) nothing will happen.
what makes you so convinced?  you do realize there are a ton of easier ways to funnel money than to involve the myriad of clowns that were wound up in this mess.  and the more money you have the cleaner things like this can be handled. and the fewer people that are involved, the less chance there is that you'll get caught.  if ku wanted to funnel money to players i just don't think they would do so by relying on the crew of idiots involved in this mess.

and exactly what did morningstar do that would warrant the NCAA getting involved?  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 08:47:26 PM by pissclams »

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
clams . . . Morningstar by every definition is a ku booster.   In the era when the NCAA was actually an enforcement agency for college athletics, anytime a booster was caught up in a situation like this with a school they were a booster for . . . it would send up all kinds of red flags. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
clams . . . Morningstar by every definition is a ku booster.   In the era when the NCAA was actually an enforcement agency for college athletics, anytime a booster was caught up in a situation like this with a school they were a booster for . . . it would send up all kinds of red flags. 

red flags are for afternoon drivetime radio hosts.  the fact that morningstar is a booster has no effect on the issue that he's been defrauding the athletic dept for how ever many number of years.  there is no evidence to suggest that he was doing these things for any other reason than personal gain.  again- in my opinion this is a criminal issue and not one of ncaa rules compliance.  i just don't see this as a large scale money laundering operation set up to funnel cash to KU's basketball players, it doesn't make any sense.

tons of wrongdoing, but improper benefits?  i'm not buying it.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Maybe this explains how notable ku booster and convicted felon David Wittig scored plum seats to watch his beloved Hawks in Allen Fieldhouse while awaiting his trip to the big house.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
   http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182190

personal highlights

On a serious note, Roger and Linda have been willing to boost Sherron’s spirits when he’s down.
And that’s not often, despite the injuries.
“He doesn’t have a dad or mom in Kansas. We take as much a role as we can,” Roger said of his relationship with Sherron, who is quite close to his mom, Stacey, and uncle Walt, as well as some other relatives. Collins’ dad, who at one time was incarcerated, lives in Minnesota.
“We have to walk a tight line between being parent and booster,” Roger Morningstar said. “It’s legal (by NCAA rules) to have them over for dinner and talk. So we’ve had them over a lot.”

and

It started the in June of 2006, when Collins showed up in Lawrence for the start of summer school.
“Coach (Bill Self) said, ‘This is Sherron,’ and we clicked right away,” said Brady Morningstar, who immediately shot baskets with Collins in Horejsi Center. “We’ve been roommates ever since. I mean, I wouldn’t even call him a best friend. He’s my brother. I grew up with two sisters. He’s a brother to me. We have a bond not many people have.”

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

red flags are for afternoon drivetime radio hosts.  the fact that morningstar is a booster has no effect on the issue that he's been defrauding the athletic dept for how ever many number of years.  there is no evidence to suggest that he was doing these things for any other reason than personal gain.  again- in my opinion this is a criminal issue and not one of ncaa rules compliance.  i just don't see this as a large scale money laundering operation set up to funnel cash to KU's basketball players, it doesn't make any sense.

Clams . . . there's a perfect angle for doing this.   Why engage the Pump Brothers in this operation??  If you're just looking to make extra jack on the tickets you've got access to . . . why engage a couple of guys with major entanglements in the industry you work in?  When we all know there's plenty of operations that could move those tickets just as easily and just as quietly (if not moreso).  That aren't running coaching seminars, coaching search firms, AAU teams and tourney's and the like and engaged with people daily where one slip of the tongue could mean the end to the whole gig and an NCAA $hit storm (plus legal).   Unless you need their connections to feed you the talent that makes the tickets worth so much to begin with?? 

I am not saying that's what happend . . . but being able to see it happening . . .easily.   

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

I'm not even saying the operations intent was too solely funnel money to the players.  Could be just a side effect because Morningstar had tons of untracable cash and no scruples.  Regardless, Morningstar is a players parent who received huge improper benefits from the KU atheletic department.  I'm not sure what the letter of the NCAA law is, but I would think they could look into it.   :dunno:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the pump bros were engaged b/c they had already established the relationships and connections with the people looking for the ultra high end tickets that made the bros the most money.  people recognized them as scalpers and went to them when looking for the very best seats.  believe it or not, it's not easy to unload those high dollar tickets without the right connections- the pumps served that purpose.  they didn't care where the tix came from, they were far enough away from the transaction that they just sat back and made it all happen.  jones/freeman/morningstar used the pumps as much as the pumps used them.

obviously i'm just speculating.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:03:33 PM by pissclams »

Offline OregonSmock

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Mashing 'taters like an Old Country Buffet
    • View Profile

I'm not even saying the operations intent was too solely funnel money to the players.  Could be just a side effect because Morningstar had tons of untracable cash and no scruples.  Regardless, Morningstar is a players parent who received huge improper benefits from the KU atheletic department.  I'm not sure what the letter of the NCAA law is, but I would think they could look into it.   :dunno:

Not even close.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Someone needs to get 'ol Re’Quiya Aguirre to drop the dime on who paid for all of those visits from chi to lowrents.

Surely she's still pissed about the whole pinky/spades/vegas/badparent/sucking at basketball thing

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There's also plenty of other folks outside the pump brothers with all kinds of connections to move tickets.    One part using the other and vicer versa is a given.  What I am saying again is, there's plenty of "organizations" that can move high roller tickets that have nothing close to the entanglements the pump brothers have.   It's perfectly plausible that they felt the risks were worth taking in engaging the pumps because the pumps are players in the talent pool that want to pick from.   The other "organizations" are simply about the cash and moving the tickets.

Really Bentard . . . so Daddy Morningstar pocketing thousands of extra dollars garnered through an illegal ticket scalping operation being conducted right out of the ku athletic department offices wouldn't even get a hint of a look as far as being an improper inducement??  Really?  LOL.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Not even close.

yes he did.  can't even be questioned.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Bottom line, Morningstar was not on scholarship for at least one year (maybe two??) if I'm not mistaken. So... what part of his dad selling tickets and using that money to pay for his walk-on membership to the team isn't an NCAA violation? Come on, he might as well been on scholarship.

Is no one else seeing a problem here? That's an added benefit... especially if Lew is in on it. I'm not saying he is, but c'mon, it's hard for him to not see that kind of stuff missing. If there's smoke, there's probably a fire...
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So ku had a consultant on the payroll getting paid $115,000 a year (for 3 years) and Lew . . . just didn't know.   :dunno:

By the hour it appears more and more like ku athletics was pretty much only a half notch below Wal-Mart in size and scope, where consultants getting paid 6 figures, and 3,500 tickets a year just fading off into oblivion in a money laundering and ticket scalping enterprise being run right out of the ku athletics offices would have flown right under the radar . . . who knew . . . who knew.   :dunno: :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Not even close.

yes he did.  can't even be questioned.

yeah. this is the thing that you would think would cause the ncaa to at least be interested. here is a guy who had three kids play varsity sports at ku in and around the time that an athletic department member helped him set up a way to illegally make tens of thousands of dollars. why wouldn't the ncaa at least be interested in the father of multiple jayhawk recruits and eventual scholarship holders striking a deal like this with an athletic dept employee?