Author Topic: Having trouble with your golf game?  (Read 18636 times)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble with your golf game?
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2023, 08:13:27 AM »
Titleist 917 D2 driver, 915 3 wood, the 2007/2008 AP1's, vokey wedges, and a Scotty blade.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2023, 08:27:20 AM »
anytime i see someone with Titleist clubs i think 'oh you must be very serious" is that just me or?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2023, 09:08:32 AM »
anytime i see someone with Titleist clubs i think 'oh you must be very serious" is that just me or?

Maybe! I'd say I think similarly when someone has after market/colored grips.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2023, 09:32:30 AM »

i have titleist irons lol. i think they have the best tech

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2023, 11:47:18 AM »
my golfing buddy has a set of titleist irons and i dunno if i just don't feel comfortable hitting blades but i tried hitting his once and it just felt bad from the backswing.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2023, 02:26:07 PM »
I have a very old/mismatched set of clubs and a cheap PING bag. No head covers on anything. At one time I could shoot around 90 consistently but not now. I like having a gross set of clubs so that when I go up to the tee and people watch me duck hook my tee shot into the trees they're like 'yeah that makes sense, look at his clubs.' No false advertising here.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2023, 03:05:14 PM »
 :lol:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2023, 04:31:33 PM »
At this point, it's just a name. A new set irons from companies like Srixon or even Wilson are really damn good clubs, and infinitely better than old Titleist irons.

Hitting different irons at a place like a PGA Superstore is fun. One day I'll upgrade.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2023, 07:14:24 PM »
I called PXG and they said they would give me the full bag discount if I bought the other 4 clubs. So going to a fitting on Friday and if they feel good imma yolo that crap. Completely unnecessary. My woods are Taylor Made Burners circa 2013 and they work just fine

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2023, 08:38:09 PM »
I have a very old/mismatched set of clubs and a cheap PING bag. No head covers on anything. At one time I could shoot around 90 consistently but not now. I like having a gross set of clubs so that when I go up to the tee and people watch me duck hook my tee shot into the trees they're like 'yeah that makes sense, look at his clubs.' No false advertising here.

I'm on this train. All of my clubs are hand-my downs from my friends + a putter my dad had. I did break down and buy a $50 4 hybrid from amazon this spring and am learning how to hit it....

There is nothing better than beating your friends with their hand-my down clubs while they are playing with a $1000+ bag.

Honestly the only club I might consider buying is a new putter.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2023, 08:39:08 PM »
Just shot a 46 on 9 at an elite golf hot spot in KC called Minor Park.

:Woot: :Woot: :Woot:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2023, 03:46:41 AM »
At this point, it's just a name. A new set irons from companies like Srixon or even Wilson are really damn good clubs, and infinitely better than old Titleist irons.

Hitting different irons at a place like a PGA Superstore is fun. One day I'll upgrade.

really only so much you can do with metal. even some new revolutionary material like the stealth isn't a huge difference over other drivers. titleist t100 irons are interesting because of how they moved the weight around inside to make it very forgiving while still looking and feeling like a blade. so imo they are the best and are the irons i use but the benefit won't be that much over other player cavity irons.

if there's one thing i think players should do it's cut down their driver an inch or 2 (which will make the club feel lighter) and then add weight back to the head. the heavier head will make the ball go a lot straighter since it'll be more stable - in slow motion a driver twists a lot at impact. and then it's easier to hit the sweetspot more. will lose 15 yards on good hits max, but might gain distance overall just because of hitting solid shots more often

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2023, 08:19:26 AM »

I'm on this train. All of my clubs are hand-my downs from my friends + a putter my dad had. I did break down and buy a $50 4 hybrid from amazon this spring and am learning how to hit it....

There is nothing better than beating your friends with their hand-my down clubs while they are playing with a $1000+ bag.

benji i'd like to circle back to why you say hand-my downs...

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2023, 11:34:17 AM »
Regardless which brand of clubs you hit, getting fitted for them makes the biggest difference.

Recently upgraded my irons and got fitted for TM P790s, contact was immediately better and more consistent.  Shaft length went up an inch over stock irons. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2023, 11:58:04 AM »
SHAFT LENGTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2023, 12:09:27 PM »
SHAFT LENGTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was waiting for that one!  :lol:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2023, 03:45:28 PM »

benji i'd like to circle back to why you say hand-my downs...
Brain fart

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2023, 09:08:21 AM »
Hand-my downs in the golf thread made me think of a dude I golfed with awhile back.

He would say give-me instead of gimme. It was hilarious.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2023, 10:47:38 AM »
Just started.  I know nothing.  Went to the driving range for the second time ever.  But I'm definitely hooked.  Apparently Bangkok is big into golfing. 

I'm 34 years old and come from a baseball background.  Should I hire a pro to teach me?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2023, 10:56:03 AM »
I think you should evaluate what you want out of golf and then go from there.  You need some basic instruction on how to get a decent  swing that is repeatable.  If you are playing with a group of guys on a regular basis and you just want to be competitive with them, be maniacal about learning the short game. If you can be highly effective from 50 yards and in you will be better than most people you play against.

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 29, 2023, 02:38:21 PM »
This is good advice from WW. Probably ~75% of your strokes will take place within 50 yds of the flag. A good short game will give you like a 5-10 stroke advantage vs someone with a lousy short game.

Also if you’re looking to just go all in on a hobby, golf isn’t a bad choice! It’s kind of amazing how motivating it is if you crush a drive straight down the middle of the fairway or get a birdie. Like last time I played I played like white hot dogshit but I got 2 birdies, one of which was a 155 yd par 3 that I stuck it within 4 feet of the hole. And yeah I play 16 really bad holes but those 2 had me like oh yeaaaahhhhhh

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 29, 2023, 09:03:01 PM »
Thanks guys! I'm looking to play as often as I can, but it's so hot here.  Will mostly depend on if I'm willing to tolerate the heat.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2023, 11:18:49 AM »
Thanks guys! I'm looking to play as often as I can, but it's so hot here.  Will mostly depend on if I'm willing to tolerate the heat.
What kind of courses do they have in Bangkok? Is there a cheap municipal course or is everything super high end?

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2023, 06:05:14 PM »
Short game is overrated. Chicks dig the long ball

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2023, 07:25:42 AM »
Played really well (for me) on Friday. Played like total crap yesterday but had a birdie, so that was fun.
:adios: