Author Topic: Having trouble with your golf game?  (Read 18629 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble with your golf game?
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2023, 01:05:59 PM »
about 10 years ago i was in a similar posish...got myself a bunch of lessons at GOLFTECH and would watch the film and analyze all my angles and do all the recommended drills to fix this, that and the other thing, etc. etc. Anyway, after like a year of that I still wasn't really getting any better. Then one day i was at the driving range, frustrated with my lack of progress, and noticed that the driving range pro offered lessons. Dude was this fat good ol' boy who probably drank 1/5 of Jack just to get out of bed in the morning. Anyway after 2 lessons with him my swing and my game were like a million percent better.

IDK if that's because at GOLFTECH you're hitting into a net and relying on the technology to tell you how far you would have hit your ball. off of an astroturf pad. And then there's being at the driving range and actually seeing where the ball goes for real, and maybe those 2 things don't always match.

It was kinda funny b/c part of the package i bought with GOLFTECH included a playing lesson where you go play a round with your instructor. By the time we got it scheduled I had already taken a few lessons from the driving range pro, so it was just kinda funny, hearing my GOLFTECH pro trying to give me some pointers when we're out playing and the whole time i'm thinking to myself "you get no credit for any of this"

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2023, 01:10:03 PM »
Playing golf is supposed to be fun.  Spending all your time trying to analyze your swing via tape seems like the opposite of that.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2023, 01:17:56 PM »
Playing golf is supposed to be fun.  Spending all your time trying to analyze your swing via tape seems like the opposite of that.

for some people the joy of the game is to see themselves get better at it. And if you have a crap swing and aren't just a natural at diagnosing whats wrong with your swing then going the analytical route is an option.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2023, 01:34:35 PM »
You said you spent a year doing it and didn’t get any better. That’s not exactly a ringing endorsement.  For like 99% of golfers the short game is where the reduction of strokes will come anyway.  I mean ultimately it’s your time and money so knock yourself out but if the goal is to be a solid player (10- 19 handicap) it just seems completely unnecessary.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2023, 01:57:11 PM »
yeah i mean the point of my anecdote is that advanced metrics didn't really do anything for me, but I don't fault someone for going that route

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2023, 04:41:56 AM »
what i have noticed is that there really isn't very much great golf instructors out there. they could probably teach most people to break 90, but they're more of teaching band-aid solutions than building an optimal golf swing. even guys who have big followings i really don't agree with what they say, some things they say are optional but really i feel are non-negotiable. they'll teach "shallowing the club" but the clubface will still be wide open before impact and require a flip. flip = inconsistency.

i really recommend gankas's stock swing model. their website is a sick deal, $50/month and they'll review your swing up to 10x/month. but you have to trust them completely, i was resistant first and that just made things take longer. every single move is geared toward getting the clubface to rotate as little as possible and turn the swing into a body swing. basically get a strong grip and get the face closed early and make sure it stays super closed. then to square up the face your body and upper arms naturally reacts to the closed face and you're forced to rotate your body a lot. but most coaches don't really focus enough on the grip. the grip is EVERYTHING, my swing falls apart if i have even a neutral grip.

That sounds terrible. The real question is after all of that work are you any better at the actual game of golf or do you just look better doing it?

I too am on a mission to get as good at golf as possible so I just play a bunch and have started working on my putting/chipping for 30 minutes before I tee off. Seems alot more enjoyable than grinding in front of a camera.

Also

it doesn't sound like you're really on a mission

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2023, 02:45:46 PM »
what i have noticed is that there really isn't very much great golf instructors out there. they could probably teach most people to break 90, but they're more of teaching band-aid solutions than building an optimal golf swing. even guys who have big followings i really don't agree with what they say, some things they say are optional but really i feel are non-negotiable. they'll teach "shallowing the club" but the clubface will still be wide open before impact and require a flip. flip = inconsistency.

i really recommend gankas's stock swing model. their website is a sick deal, $50/month and they'll review your swing up to 10x/month. but you have to trust them completely, i was resistant first and that just made things take longer. every single move is geared toward getting the clubface to rotate as little as possible and turn the swing into a body swing. basically get a strong grip and get the face closed early and make sure it stays super closed. then to square up the face your body and upper arms naturally reacts to the closed face and you're forced to rotate your body a lot. but most coaches don't really focus enough on the grip. the grip is EVERYTHING, my swing falls apart if i have even a neutral grip.

That sounds terrible. The real question is after all of that work are you any better at the actual game of golf or do you just look better doing it?

I too am on a mission to get as good at golf as possible so I just play a bunch and have started working on my putting/chipping for 30 minutes before I tee off. Seems alot more enjoyable than grinding in front of a camera.

Also

it doesn't sound like you're really on a mission

Just shot a 102 today  :bawl:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2023, 10:40:03 AM »
Oh! James, you rapscallion!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2023, 04:05:51 PM »
X post with brag about being a stud thread, but today I was feeling saucy and bought myself a set of PXG irons. Will report back in 7-10 business days when they arrive to confirm how much of a hot POA they are (or POS but I hope not!)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2023, 05:06:57 PM »
It is known that good clubs make you good golfer.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2023, 05:23:05 PM »
It is known that good clubs make you good golfer.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2023, 06:38:33 PM »
My rational brain was all “you’re hitting off a mat and those sensors that calculate the flight path aren’t that accurate”

But my irrational brain was like “what’s that? I just hit that 7 iron 190 yds on the fly and only 7 yds off dead center? Tell me more, mister sales man. Flattery will get you everywhere”

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2023, 03:10:10 PM »

I just hit 30 shots in a row within 10 yards left or 10 yards right. Only stopping because it’s 3 am where I am. My goal is 100 in a row, but 5 yards left and right.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2023, 03:25:36 PM »

I just hit 30 shots in a row within 10 yards left or 10 yards right. Only stopping because it’s 3 am where I am. My goal is 100 in a row, but 5 yards left and right.
If you would've put this much effort into dunking.. smh

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2023, 03:28:43 PM »
Is this Golden Tee or what?

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2023, 03:35:40 PM »
If you would've put this much effort into dunking.. smh

if only you put in like 10% effort. you're like 6'4"!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2023, 12:32:43 PM »

Canco 13/10 on being a hot POA

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2023, 09:34:05 PM »
89 today. Getting better
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2023, 09:50:00 PM »
Nice dude

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2023, 10:32:57 PM »
89 today. Getting better

What did you shoot on the back 9?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Having trouble with your golf game?
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2023, 04:59:35 PM »

Edit: sorry, I’m slow on the uptake. HUR HUR HUR
:adios:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2023, 02:16:05 PM »
Canco 13/10 on being a hot POA

without a doubt pxg makes the hottest clubs

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2023, 03:00:27 PM »
I should probs get some new clubs. My irons are 10 years old and my driver/3 wood are 3 years old.

Still playing all the same clubs, still love the crap out of golf.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2023, 03:11:58 PM »
what's your bag looking like shooter?