Author Topic: Hale  (Read 9956 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Hale
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
I hope it works out but if the school put itself in a position that a physical fire in a single building can wipe out its records with no recovery, I'd fire everyone. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2018, 11:08:42 AM »
I hope it works out but if the school put itself in a position that a physical fire in a single building can wipe out its records with no recovery, I'd fire everyone.

Agreed, if so, completely inexusible.   Even they're concerned about personal information security in a cloud/hosted situation, they could have taken advantage of the geo-diversity right on campus and put back-ups in another building.   I thought the new engineering addition was too contain a sizeable data center type environment, is that not where K-State's Super Cluster resides, now?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2018, 11:11:05 AM »

Agreed, if so, completely inexusible.   Even they're concerned about personal information security in a cloud/hosted situation, they could have taken advantage of the geo-diversity right on campus and put back-ups in another building.   I thought the new engineering addition was too contain a sizeable data center type environment, is that not where K-State's Super Cluster resides, now?

yes to lsoc and dax, unbelievable if true

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2018, 11:12:22 AM »
yet totally believable bc k state

I bet they are wondering where the hell hemmy is right now

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »

It is my understanding that there were 20 servers in that top floor, I don't know which departments have their own servers/data but I will find out more Friday. Also, pretty much all new technology purchases get funneled through those offices before being distributed out. So any new tech purchases that hadn't been given out after being tagged/inventoried etc. were a total loss.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:53 AM »
yet totally believable bc k state

The printers probably all have too much smoke damage for him to be much help, anyway.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
never underestimate hemmy

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 11:27:01 AM »
:lol:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 11:27:47 AM »
btw, did they ever figure out why there was a fire in the first place?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »

Construction worker on the roof accidentally started it

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 11:43:48 AM »

It is my understanding that there were 20 servers in that top floor, I don't know which departments have their own servers/data but I will find out more Friday. Also, pretty much all new technology purchases get funneled through those offices before being distributed out. So any new tech purchases that hadn't been given out after being tagged/inventoried etc. were a total loss.

So each individual office on the top floor had a server running or hosting a disparate platform/application?   Please tell me I'm wrong.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

sounds like k s of u might have a lawsuit to file.

it's a little embarrassing that we're crowdsourcing this.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »

by the time the water damge subro claim is done, KSU will get jack squat for their uninsured loss

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »
i'm sure you're right.  regardless, i have a hard time believing that this fire caused $50m in damages.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 12:17:36 PM »

by the time the water damge subro claim is done, KSU will get jack squat for their uninsured loss

Such an elite insurance knowledge bomb, you are still at the top of your game.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 12:18:29 PM »
i'm sure you're right.  regardless, i have a hard time believing that this fire caused $50m in damages.

I doubt the entire building and contents are worth $50million

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »

Such an elite insurance knowledge bomb, you are still at the top of your game.

truth

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 01:29:10 PM »

So each individual office on the top floor had a server running or hosting a disparate platform/application?   Please tell me I'm wrong.

My understanding is that all of the back of the house stuff (KSIS, payroll, email, KSOL etc.) was all run out of that top floor.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 01:33:33 PM »
The rugby website that I partially built is down. If it isn't recovered, that alone is probably worth $10-12m
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 02:40:03 PM »
The entire system for enrolling students is down right now. Do people not realize how bad this was?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2018, 02:47:32 PM »
I'm not going to be able to believe that they don't have data backed up until they come out and say it. The rest is replaceable; it just takes a little time.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2018, 02:49:47 PM »
I'm not going to be able to believe that they don't have data backed up until they come out and say it. The rest is replaceable; it just takes a little time.

I get that, but it's not really all the difficult to have systems in place where there's no down time at all.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2018, 02:57:37 PM »

I get that, but it's not really all the difficult to have systems in place where there's no down time at all.

it’s where amazon makes all of their delicious money

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2018, 03:38:43 PM »
 :rolleyes:

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2018, 05:46:17 PM »
is there a chance any of my bad grades from the distant past got wiped out?