Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 546704 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #6550 on: March 06, 2020, 03:38:13 PM »
Republicans are terrified that Texas gets a little bit more blue every year. Probably not unrelated to all of their border nonsense.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: March 06, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »
What's your take on absolute immunity? Seems pretty dictatorial imo

I can’t tell if you guys are joking about the dictator stuff.
That was really head scratching to me, too. Some of you people are really unhinged. Reminds me of that bet TBT made and then backed out of regarding whether Trump would surrender power peacefully if voted out of office.
Executive privilege? Is that what you mean?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: March 06, 2020, 03:55:39 PM »
Yes the argument for extension of that.
Absolute immunity is something else entirely. Not trying to be pedantic, but words matter. I am not a fan of expanding Presidential privileges beyond pre-Trump levels--particularly in times of peace. I had hoped the Trump presidency would lead to a retraction of the powers granted to the Executive branch. Thus far, that hasn't really been the case. To be clear, while I can understand the need for powers such as executive privilege in individual cases, I am not a fan of Trump abusing those powers and thus creating dangerous precedents for future presidents to exploit. That's just a bunch of malarkey.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: March 06, 2020, 04:00:10 PM »
I mean, unless you believe she really made a progressive reverse heel turn. I just don’t think it was irl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's funny because all the progs felt like she was trying to shift to the center during the campaign to appease the mods. Examples are her incremental M4A plan or saying she's a proud capitalist. Like all the rich Cali white women (big Hillary folks) I know loved the crap out of her.

I think in general people don't care about detailed plans with the Presidency and she tried to make that her thing in addition to kind of always trying to adjust her message plus the whole dna test thing was pretty cringey

None of it explains why sys is the way that he is.

good warren campaign post mortem

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/06/warren-team-wonders-how-they-blew-it-122628

“I was told at the beginning of this whole undertaking that there are two lanes: a progressive lane that Bernie Sanders is the incumbent for and a moderate lane that Joe Biden is the incumbent for and there is no room for anyone else in this,” she told reporters outside her Cambridge, Massachusetts, home Thursday after ending her campaign. “I thought it was possible that that wasn’t the case, that there was more room, and more room to run another kind of campaign. But evidently that wasn’t the case.”

Rather than directly challenging Sanders for the progressive mantle — a “Bernie but better” approach, as one ally called it — Warren tried to assuage both sides. In doing so, many supporters felt she became too ordinary: an establishment-seeming politician with a radical agenda.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: March 06, 2020, 04:06:12 PM »
Yes the argument for extension of that.
Absolute immunity is something else entirely. Not trying to be pedantic, but words matter. I am not a fan of expanding Presidential privileges beyond pre-Trump levels--particularly in times of peace. I had hoped the Trump presidency would lead to a retraction of the powers granted to the Executive branch. Thus far, that hasn't really been the case. To be clear, while I can understand the need for powers such as executive privilege in individual cases, I am not a fan of Trump abusing those powers and thus creating dangerous precedents for future presidents to exploit. That's just a bunch of malarkey.

That's why I'm voting for Joe.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: March 06, 2020, 04:08:37 PM »
I had hoped the Trump presidency would lead to a retraction of the powers granted to the Executive branch.

charlie murphy gif

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: March 06, 2020, 04:23:32 PM »
Trump presidency really could have been a great opportunity to rebalance the branches but pubs in Congress pretty clearly said they were not interested in being a check on executive authority.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: March 06, 2020, 05:31:56 PM »
I mean, unless you believe she really made a progressive reverse heel turn. I just don’t think it was irl.

That's funny because all the progs felt like she was trying to shift to the center during the campaign to appease the mods. Examples are her incremental M4A plan or saying she's a proud capitalist. Like all the rich Cali white women (big Hillary folks) I know loved the crap out of her.

I think in general people don't care about detailed plans with the Presidency and she tried to make that her thing in addition to kind of always trying to adjust her message plus the whole dna test thing was pretty cringey

None of it explains why sys is the way that he is.

good warren campaign post mortem

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/06/warren-team-wonders-how-they-blew-it-122628

“I was told at the beginning of this whole undertaking that there are two lanes: a progressive lane that Bernie Sanders is the incumbent for and a moderate lane that Joe Biden is the incumbent for and there is no room for anyone else in this,” she told reporters outside her Cambridge, Massachusetts, home Thursday after ending her campaign. “I thought it was possible that that wasn’t the case, that there was more room, and more room to run another kind of campaign. But evidently that wasn’t the case.”

Rather than directly challenging Sanders for the progressive mantle — a “Bernie but better” approach, as one ally called it — Warren tried to assuage both sides. In doing so, many supporters felt she became too ordinary: an establishment-seeming politician with a radical agenda.

going turbo mod would have been the clear play. bernie's non-voting bros were spoken for. us moderates are very pragmatic and could have been wooed by either party.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: March 06, 2020, 05:45:08 PM »
Her problem (besides being female) was trying to apply moderate energy to strongly progressive policy positions.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: March 06, 2020, 05:50:35 PM »
Her problem (besides being female) was trying to apply moderate energy to strongly progressive policy positions.
Yeah she was the leftiest senator, she can't go turbo-mod

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: March 06, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
Yeah she was the leftiest senator, she can't go turbo-mod

I'm going to go full pragmatists here so buckle into your moderately comfortable warmish seat:

wrong

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: March 06, 2020, 06:05:45 PM »
I'm going to go full pragmatists here so buckle into your moderately comfortable warmish seat:

wrong

why would a moderate dem primary voter want to vote for the most progressive senator in the party, pretending to be a moderate?  why would a progressive dem primary voter want to vote for the most progressive senator in the party, pretending to be a moderate?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: March 06, 2020, 06:10:49 PM »

wrong

why would a moderate dem primary voter want to vote for the most progressive senator in the party, pretending to be a moderate?  why would a progressive dem primary voter want to vote for the most progressive senator in the party, pretending to be a moderate?

because people change their minds all the time and if someone wants to have a change of heart and pander to my moderate interests I'm all for it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: March 06, 2020, 06:15:51 PM »
that would work if the race had winnowed down to sanders v warren.  but there were like 25 candidates, no one had to pick a candidate whose record didn't align with their 2020 campaign.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: March 06, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »
that would work if the race had winnowed down to sanders v warren.  but there were like 25 candidates, no one had to pick a candidate whose record didn't align with their 2020 campaign.

I mean, I'm not going to argue with the polls and stats and stuff because you know them and I don't but I don't believe that people generally GAF about any of that

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: March 06, 2020, 06:24:25 PM »
I don't believe that people generally GAF about any of that

how people decide to vote on election day and how the press decides to cover you and how people decide who they'll donate to nine months before the election are totally different things (involving totally different groups of people), but you can't make it to election day if you don't survive the earlier selection.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: March 06, 2020, 06:42:58 PM »
i want to add, though, that i do think having a significant disconnect between your record and campaign is a pretty big negative on election day too.  like, yeah it doesn't matter if you voted for random thing x in 2001 or said random thing y in 2007, but if you have a suite of issues on which you reversed course right before running, everyday, low engagement voters will notice that and not like it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: March 06, 2020, 07:40:37 PM »
Do some people GAF? Yes. Do most people not GAF? Also yes.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: March 07, 2020, 09:13:06 AM »
I know Pete is gone but this does a good job articulating part of why he sucks so hard

https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/1236305814723465216?s=19

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6570 on: March 07, 2020, 09:16:49 AM »
I prefer my pols to be mealy mouthed honestly.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: March 07, 2020, 09:58:14 AM »
if I'm choosing between buying a thing I don't want from a really cool and sincere person or buying the thing I want from a complete phony bad person who I hate I can tell you which one I'm going with. interestingly my wife would pick the other one 100% of the time which irritates the crap out of me.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: March 07, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
if I'm choosing between buying a thing I don't want from a really cool and sincere person or buying the thing I want from a complete phony bad person who I hate I can tell you which one I'm going with. interestingly my wife would pick the other one 100% of the time which irritates the crap out of me.
For sure but those weren't the only choices

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: March 07, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/Rep_Pendarvis/status/1232303243939733504

That's a lie. He started with saying "you're the ones who sent Barack Obama to the presidency..." what story involves Biden running for Senate after Obama was president?

mir what is your take on Shaun King in general though? (Shaun King started this)

I'm good with him, I frequently find myself siding with him when he gets into these random spats with people. He's in the unique and unenviable position of having both black people and white people feeling very comfortable taking racist shots at him. I legitimately wish I could shoot everyone who calls him Martin Luther Cream. I definitely sided with him on the controversy with Deray. I like Deray a lot, but Shaun had his receipts in order, literally and figuratively.

https://twitter.com/maddow/status/1235087826720456704

This was incredibly mumped

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: March 07, 2020, 01:01:59 PM »
I'm back, it was a tough week. This crap isn't over. Biden won Super Tuesday because he won a gigantic majority of people who made their decisions late. He was shielded from his usual gaffes. There's no reason to believe that with a field of 2 his and his surrogates gaffes won't be magnified, like a white woman crackersplaining MLK to a black woman, while misquoting the man.

It's certainly an uphill climb for Bernie, I won't deny that. I guess I should be surprised the democrats are taking the bold tactic of doing the same thing but hoping for different results, but I'm not. Good job holding on to that bag, I guess.