Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 545734 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #5950 on: February 26, 2020, 10:31:51 PM »
Bernie is campaigning on and lay out a vision for Medicare 4 All and healthcare as a human right. He has offered a strategic vision, his plan and the tactics he intends to employ to achieve this goal.

Obviously no president gets to unilaterally impost an agenda, but Pete and co. don't get the moral high ground by compromising with themselves first and then compromising at the bargaining table back to the status quo and saying they "did what they could."

in other words, it's ok for sanders to compromise, but not anyone else.

bernie just doesn't pass Pete's purity test for moderates

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5951 on: February 26, 2020, 10:43:34 PM »
i can't recall exactly what views i've expressed here and what i've only said on twitter, but i think you'll find i've been fairly critical of buttigieg over the course of the last year when he's outlined contrived and dishonest ways to contrast his policies with those of his rivals.

i don't know why you'd expect me to have a different standard for sanders.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #5952 on: February 26, 2020, 11:08:44 PM »
Bernie is campaigning on and lay out a vision for Medicare 4 All and healthcare as a human right. He has offered a strategic vision, his plan and the tactics he intends to employ to achieve this goal.

Obviously no president gets to unilaterally impost an agenda, but Pete and co. don't get the moral high ground by compromising with themselves first and then compromising at the bargaining table back to the status quo and saying they "did what they could."

This such a hilarious take. It’s like you’re saying presidential candidates should exclusively campaign on an agenda that is a notch or two more liberal (or conservative as applicable) than what they actually believe in.

Well if insincerity is your thing boy do I have a McKinsey trained candidate for you!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5953 on: February 26, 2020, 11:18:17 PM »

i can't recall exactly what views i've expressed here and what i've only said on twitter, but i think you'll find i've been fairly critical of buttigieg over the course of the last year when he's outlined contrived and dishonest ways to contrast his policies with those of his rivals.

i don't know why you'd expect me to have a different standard for sanders.

I'm just saying that by yours and Pete's weirdo definition, all candidates have "purity tests".

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5954 on: February 26, 2020, 11:24:29 PM »
I'm just saying that by yours and Pete's weirdo definition, all candidates have "purity tests".

catastrophe may be expressing the objection better than i have.

if insincerity is your thing boy do I have a McKinsey trained candidate for you!
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5955 on: February 26, 2020, 11:37:39 PM »
pretty good summations of why sanders will win and why he won't win arguments.

https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/status/1232366685690245122

He was pissing me off last night, probably wasn't his fault. They had him taking for 5 minutes about how Bernie isn't a slam dunk because he isn't winning the 65 and over vote, needed like 5 graphics to tell the story. I'm sure it was some dipshit producers idea, just a reminder as to why I don't watch MSNBC.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: February 26, 2020, 11:43:39 PM »
Is there anything beyond ego that precludes any of these people from becoming a pres/vp tag team right now?

Damn _33 senior you asked this question in January. I don't think any of these people will be a VP candidate for any of the others, it doesn't make sense. The most fitting one to be a VP is Steyer. They aren't going to ask a white dude and he wouldn't do it if asked. Harris and Booker might be choices for any of the moderates. Sanders and Warren will likely choose someone you've never heard of.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: February 26, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »

if insincerity is your thing boy do I have a McKinsey trained candidate for you!

catastrophe's take was based on some pretty flimsy assumptions

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: February 26, 2020, 11:51:19 PM »

I was about to mock catastrophe about how vapid that opinion was.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: February 27, 2020, 12:10:30 AM »
Go on

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: February 27, 2020, 12:19:16 AM »
Is there anything beyond ego that precludes any of these people from becoming a pres/vp tag team right now?

Damn _33 senior you asked this question in January. I don't think any of these people will be a VP candidate for any of the others, it doesn't make sense. The most fitting one to be a VP is Steyer. They aren't going to ask a white dude and he wouldn't do it if asked. Harris and Booker might be choices for any of the moderates. Sanders and Warren will likely choose someone you've never heard of.

Yeah, but now it’s the end of February and things are more clear. Warren should be Sanders’ VP and Pete should be Biden’s.

It’s dumb that we have to pick from these people without knowing who most of their team would be. At least having the VP picked isn’t much to ask, and it would narrow the field.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: February 27, 2020, 07:09:56 AM »
Has anyone here ever negotiated before? This is pretty basic stuff guys.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: February 27, 2020, 07:17:22 AM »

I agree. As a POC, does this racial pandering appeal to you?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: February 27, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
Has anyone here ever negotiated before? This is pretty basic stuff guys.

irl professional negotiator here. AMA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: February 27, 2020, 07:27:06 AM »
Glad you asked! Firstly, I’d recommend the following from a Kansas City native!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: February 27, 2020, 07:50:29 AM »
Getting to Yes is another good one about negotiating from principles instead of just starting high and meeting in the middle.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: February 27, 2020, 08:09:35 AM »
Getting to Yes is another good one about negotiating from principles instead of just starting high and meeting in the middle.

YES!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: February 27, 2020, 08:10:59 AM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: February 27, 2020, 08:17:02 AM »

do you genuinely think Bernie's stated positions on medicare for all are to the left of what he actually wants to achieve?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5970 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:10 AM »
dnyuz.com

This is a rick roll style link to a deez nuts joke, isn’t it?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5971 on: February 27, 2020, 08:40:13 AM »

do you genuinely think Bernie's stated positions on medicare for all are to the left of what he actually wants to achieve?

Not at all. And I don’t think that is (or should be) true of the other candidates either. That’s why I’ve been lampooning KK’s suggestion that (1) it wouldn’t be a failure if Bernie settles on a public option, and (2) if moderates REALLY wanted a public option they would be campaigning on a Medicare for All platform.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5972 on: February 27, 2020, 09:05:08 AM »
Does anybody here really want VA Healthcare for All? I mean, what part of this “progressive agenda” do you actually want (and are willing to pay higher taxes to supposedly afford)? Or is it less the new entitlements and more about the new authoritarianism on thing like guns that excites you?

Old people on medicare don't go to the VA unless they are veterans.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5973 on: February 27, 2020, 09:07:25 AM »
Does anybody here really want VA Healthcare for All? I mean, what part of this “progressive agenda” do you actually want (and are willing to pay higher taxes to supposedly afford)? Or is it less the new entitlements and more about the new authoritarianism on thing like guns that excites you?

Old people on medicare don't go to the VA unless they are veterans.
The VA does not accept Medicare.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5974 on: February 27, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »

Not at all. And I don’t think that is (or should be) true of the other candidates either. That’s why I’ve been lampooning KK’s suggestion that (1) it wouldn’t be a failure if Bernie settles on a public option, and (2) if moderates REALLY wanted a public option they would be campaigning on a Medicare for All platform.

I think those are your suggestions and not KK's