Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 545810 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #4825 on: February 03, 2020, 11:37:11 PM »
I have such a Pete boner, tbh.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: February 03, 2020, 11:38:28 PM »
He has the moderate flavors I savor, as my good bud stevedave would say (or should say).

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: February 03, 2020, 11:43:06 PM »
I mean, he's the smartest person. Let's just give it to him. I trust him in the off chance we actually need him to make important decisions.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: February 03, 2020, 11:44:23 PM »
Don't really care that he's all fake and what not. Only care about intelligence/competence.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: February 04, 2020, 12:00:28 AM »
buttigieg presumably has some pretty good intel that they won at least one of the reported votes.  otherwise, the media is gonna drag him for this.

https://twitter.com/paigelav/status/1224565861823938560
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4830 on: February 04, 2020, 12:02:34 AM »
buttigieg presumably has some pretty good intel that they won at least one of the reported votes.  otherwise, the media is gonna drag him for this.

https://twitter.com/paigelav/status/1224565861823938560
Oh really? Would you "drag" him for it if he only got 2d or 3d?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: February 04, 2020, 12:13:05 AM »
i'm saying i think he probably knows he won, spracne.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: February 04, 2020, 12:18:20 AM »
But if he didn't, what then?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: February 04, 2020, 12:33:28 AM »
Did any of this matter?

Isn't that your decision to make?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: February 04, 2020, 12:35:59 AM »

I think so as well but the number of delegates awarded will be nearly identical for the top three or four. They all have victory speeches with the exception of Sleepy Joe.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: February 04, 2020, 12:43:48 AM »

then he's taking a risk that i don't think is warranted.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: February 04, 2020, 12:56:04 AM »
Meh.  In my years on this earth, one thing I've learned is that it's usually not THAT much of a risk to go out on a limb and make a bold prediction.  Most people don't have the time or energy to remember you were wrong, but if you end up being right you can shove it into everyone's faces whenever you want.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: February 04, 2020, 01:07:52 AM »
Did any of this matter?

No. If it was, I’d declare that it didn’t and officially appoint Biden as the nominee. I’m asking if whatever the results of this thing were will have any impact on who the nominee ends up being.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: February 04, 2020, 01:28:15 AM »
Did any of this matter?

No. If it was, I’d declare that it didn’t and officially appoint Biden as the nominee. I’m asking if whatever the results of this thing were will have any impact on who the nominee ends up being.

You're almost assuredly not asking that question in good faith. The question is so stripped of nuance that it's difficult to ascertain what you're fishing for.

Iowa will award 41 delegates out of the 3979 total delegates awarded, that's firmly midrange for all states and territories reporting. However of the four earthly reporting states, it's more than a fourth of the delegates available. Whenever these results come in, they will reflect the smallest number of delegates awarded to the winner in the history of the caucuses. The differences between the number of delegates awarded to 1st place and 5th place will be less than 7 delegates, or approximately 1/3 of 1% of the delegates needed to reach the 1990 delegates needed to win. That's the data, you figure out what that means to you.

Having read this thread beyond the last 24 hours, I would guess that one would know going in that the number of delegates awarded in this caucus really isn't the point, at all.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: February 04, 2020, 01:35:51 AM »
I've been hesitant to outright call Pete and his campaign scummy, far be it from me to intentionally hurt catastrophe and spracne's feelings. However, what Pete's communication director in Iowa did tonight is 100% scumbag behavior.

https://twitter.com/bhalle87/status/1224558925946793985

If you're not able to follow, this dude tweeted out the pin number that the caucus workers have to use to report the votes. Least you think he did it on accident, by my count he did it 17 different times. To repeat the communications director of for Pete Buttigieg gave out 17 different pin numbers that are used to report results. He still hasn't taken them down despite literally hundreds of people letting him know what he did.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: February 04, 2020, 01:39:41 AM »
Also he keeps pointing out districts that Pete won that Trump won in the 2016 general, as if that rough ridin' matters one damn bit. These numbers are so small that there literally may be one, maybe two disaffected trump voters represented in each precinct.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: February 04, 2020, 01:45:24 AM »
Did any of this matter?

You're almost assuredly not asking that question in good faith. The question is so stripped of nuance that it's difficult to ascertain what you're fishing for.

Iowa will award 41 delegates out of the 3979 total delegates awarded, that's firmly midrange for all states and territories reporting. However of the four earthly reporting states, it's more than a fourth of the delegates available. Whenever these results come in, they will reflect the smallest number of delegates awarded to the winner in the history of the caucuses. The differences between the number of delegates awarded to 1st place and 5th place will be less than 7 delegates, or approximately 1/3 of 1% of the delegates needed to reach the 1990 delegates needed to win. That's the data, you figure out what that means to you.

Having read this thread beyond the last 24 hours, I would guess that one would know going in that the number of delegates awarded in this caucus really isn't the point, at all.

Well yeah, I read earlier that this thing historically means more than raw iowa delegate numbers, in that it shapes perceptions in future states or even motivates people to quit. With as much of a lol clusterfuck as it was and with that being more visible than ever before, I’m guessing it won’t have that historical effect and the whole thing will be largely dismissed. If so, it won’t have mattered, aside from the rest of the world now joining us in iowa mockery.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: February 04, 2020, 01:55:41 AM »
Did any of this matter?

Well yeah, I read earlier that this thing historically means more than raw iowa delegate numbers, in that it shapes perceptions in future states or even motivates people to quit. With as much of a lol clusterfuck as it was and with that being more visible than ever before, I’m guessing it won’t have that historical effect and the whole thing will be largely dismissed. If so, it won’t have mattered, aside from the rest of the world now joining us in iowa mockery.

On it's best, it provides momentum for candidates like Klo who haven't been polling well, but it isn't going to make a candidate who was barely viable, a front runner. Ted Cruz won in 2016, it didn't do crap for him. Iowa results would never cause a candidate to quit, that's dumb. If someone quit after Iowa there was nothing that can save them. People quit because they run out of money or face scandal. Iowa results carry weight for literally 2-3 days before people focus on New Hampshire and South Carolina. It's why Biden is going to do poorly here but he'll swing back on Klobuchar quickly because she's going to get completely skullfucked in New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: February 04, 2020, 02:01:09 AM »
And stop acting like Washington State isn't filled with hobos, the klan, and weirdo militia doomsday preppers. It's Colorado with more white people, shittier food and weather. This is embarrassing especially given the population of the state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/2019-11-13/fbi-report-california-washington-report-highest-number-of-hate-crimes

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: February 04, 2020, 02:25:59 AM »
Bernie Sanders and his henchman Jeff Weaver wins the award for crybaby dickbag of the night.

https://twitter.com/HCTrudo/status/1224578194948468739

What the eff is the point of releasing internal data from 40% of the precincts? As if this matters for anything in the world. They are going to cry about a fix when the actual numbers don't match what they have. I'm so rough ridin' sick of this campaign and all of their bullshit.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4845 on: February 04, 2020, 02:53:46 AM »
i think it's more important than that.  this (assuming what we half know is accurate) is a really shitty result for biden and really good for buttigieg.  biden was already low on money and struggling to raise more (for a frontrunner).  this will make it that much more difficult.  he's not going to have the money to match sanders in advertising in nevada and south carolina.

and there's only like 2-3 days between south carolina and super tuesday.

at any rate, it'll be interesting to see if party actors abandon biden (they've never really consolidated on him) or panic and go looking where else they can land (probably warren).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: February 04, 2020, 05:07:26 AM »
I agree with all of that other than I don't know how long Buttigieg will be able to carry any momentum. He'll come out of NH third in delegates, at best, then he's going to get bashed in SC and NV. I think he needed more than essentially a 4 way tie. Klobuchar can really make some centrist momentum if she can cash in at NH. The big winner from tonight has to be Bloomberg as the moderate vote seems to be more wide open than anyone thought. NH is going to be astronomical for Biden. I think he panics and starts to make mistakes. Next debate is Friday night.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: February 04, 2020, 06:07:28 AM »
He has the moderate flavors I savor, as my good bud stevedave would say (or should say).

Oh I say it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: February 04, 2020, 06:32:54 AM »
To me, what's happening is more of an argument to keep caucuses. I've been enjoying all of it.

https://twitter.com/lyzl/status/1224586186888482818