Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 546884 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #4125 on: December 23, 2019, 11:36:21 PM »
Actually, it shows that I appreciate a level of nuance that you want to pretend doesn’t exist. You can advocate for change in the rules while simultaneously playing within the existing rules.

What about my taxes analogy? Do you think higher income individuals should be paying more? And do you currently pay more in order to be consistent with that position?

You seem to believe that accepting money from someone makes you subservient to them. That is the position that I would consider dense.

[redacted] stop conflating regular people crap, with presidential politics. My God these analogies are stupid.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: December 23, 2019, 11:58:24 PM »
I'm definitely pro-catastrophe and anti self-flagellating hubris, in this instance.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: December 24, 2019, 01:46:33 AM »
LOL at anyone arguing over whether someone with a million dollars is "rich" when we live in a society with individuals that are worth upwards of 100 billion dollars

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: December 24, 2019, 08:08:38 AM »
I don’t think a lot of the population understands the massive band of the 1%, or really how much money a billion dollars is, or the difference between wealth and income and the tax on both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: December 24, 2019, 08:20:05 AM »
I understand, SD.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: December 24, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »
LOL at anyone arguing over whether someone with a million dollars is "rich" when we live in a society with individuals that are worth upwards of 100 billion dollars

LOL at anyone arguing about whether someone with $100k is rich when we live in a society with individuals that are worth zero dollars.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: December 24, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
The irony is that people in the upper middle class have WAY more in common with people living below the poverty line than they do with the 1%. America's brand of merito-capitalism has tricked them into thinking otherwise.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: December 24, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »
The irony is that people in the upper middle class have WAY more in common with people living below the poverty line than they do with the 1%. America's brand of merito-capitalism has tricked them into thinking otherwise.

Eh. The 1% has a household income above $420k. I am a lot closer to that than I am to a homeless person.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: December 24, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
The 1% is a giant band though. The majority of the 1% are the employed and share little in common with the truly rich. A lot of the rhetoric about “billionaires shouldn’t exist” and things like that are used by politicians to scare Joe Bottom End Of The 1% into thinking libs want to take what he has worked for and give it to the poor. Which isn’t the case. At least any more-so than his money is being taken and given to farmers currently.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: December 24, 2019, 12:56:39 PM »
I don't know if it's a Judeo-Christian society thing or what, but it's interesting to me how most rich people outright reject the notion that they are rich.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: December 24, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »
The 1% is a giant band though. The majority of the 1% are the employed and share little in common with the truly rich. A lot of the rhetoric about “billionaires shouldn’t exist” and things like that are used by politicians to scare Joe Bottom End Of The 1% into thinking libs want to take what he has worked for and give it to the poor. Which isn’t the case. At least any more-so than his money is being taken and given to farmers currently.

I mean a more progressive tax structure I'd think would be a goal of most Democrats, at least I'd be surprised it wasn't. Honestly I haven't delved into the details.

I was talking about the wealth tax but agree. I also don't think a wealth tax is viable but that's what they are talking about when they say "billionaires shouldn't exist". No top end tax, even at 100%, is going to change the mega wealthy's wealth. And those 1%'ers making $420k a year aren't even in that top end tax bracket (which is only 37%).

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: December 24, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »
I don't know if it's a Judeo-Christian society thing or what, but it's interesting to me how most rich people outright reject the notion that they are rich.

Very timely, I watched this last night:

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: December 24, 2019, 01:24:30 PM »

I don't think it has anything to do with religion. Peoples' concept of what "rich" is differs. And for individuals, it differs over time. Stupid (but still really smart) 18-year-old Spracne would have considered 30-year-old Spracne "rich". But I know I'm not rich. Part of it is, when you progress in your career, you end up being exposed to people who are truly wealthy. And as you advance, you find that among your new peer group, you're not crap. With very few exceptions, everyone is always looking "up" at someone.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: December 24, 2019, 01:25:44 PM »
going on an OT tangent here but another mumped up tax thing is that people stop paying into social security on earnings over $133k. people are like, "we can't fund social security after 20XX!" well, tax every dollar and just drop that index factor down to tiny little baby numbers. idiots.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: December 24, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »

I don't think it has anything to do with religion. Peoples' concept of what "rich" is differs. And for individuals, it differs over time. Stupid (but still really smart) 18-year-old Spracne would have considered 30-year-old Spracne "rich". But I know I'm not rich. Part of it is, when you progress in your career, you end up being exposed to people who are truly wealthy. And as you advance, you find that among your new peer group, you're not crap. With very few exceptions, everyone is always looking "up" at someone.

this is accurate.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: December 24, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »
going on an OT tangent here but another mumped up tax thing is that people stop paying into social security on earnings over $133k. people are like, "we can't fund social security after 20XX!" well, tax every dollar and just drop that index factor down to tiny little baby numbers. idiots.

I don't understand that myself, but I don't complain.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: December 24, 2019, 03:13:58 PM »
People that concern troll over social security and the post office budget are scum of the earth

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: December 24, 2019, 04:20:12 PM »

this is accurate.

Yep. “Rich” is always relative. And most people use the term as a proxy to mean the thing they’re striving for.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: December 24, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »
The social security max is kinda messed up. I've had a couple coworkers who just assumed everyone at the lunch table made enough to not pay social security the last few paychecks (and they were clearly wrong based on the reactions they got)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: December 24, 2019, 09:15:56 PM »
rough ridin' neo-liberals. I'm dead ass when I say this but our country would be no better off with this guy as president. His motivation for being president is exactly that of Trump's, it's an ego play and a ploy to hold on to what's his.

This is despicable, can't wait for the other neo libs on here to justify this.
https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1209518273546637313

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: December 25, 2019, 06:17:52 AM »
He's another rich eff who wants to control the country for his betterment.  The rich fucks have seen what Trump has done, so they figure they can too.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: December 28, 2019, 10:17:04 AM »
these things are not mutually exclusive like they paint them. I think a lot of the heat he gets about mckinsey is people just not understanding wtf mckinsey is/does. and obviously doesn't help that he's NDA to talk about it in detail.

https://twitter.com/cathleendecker/status/1210938442697175040

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: December 28, 2019, 01:43:06 PM »
Glad he’s being more honest about it now. Who actually thought fresh out of college Pete was making billion dollar decisions?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: December 28, 2019, 01:54:12 PM »
Well, he was almost certainly working on those decisions. That’s what they do. Even their green people.