Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 544349 times)

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #1125 on: March 26, 2019, 09:55:39 AM »
what if each dying president gets to appoint a justice with his or her last breath

Would require an amendment, I can't believe spracne let you get away with this one

:emawkid:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 26, 2019, 10:08:14 AM »
probably a timely example of my comment above about presentation order.  buttigieg was #1, harris was #2.

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/1109893292135714816
Seems like this has an echo effect.  Lot of articles in the last couple of days about Pete emerging as a legitimate candidate.
:adios:

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 26, 2019, 10:09:27 AM »
He's basically doubled support each of the last 3 weeks I think, it's very exciting
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 26, 2019, 10:17:53 AM »
Instead of wasting my time looking for something so patently stupid, why don't you find me and Democratic candidate on record for wanting to build any type of border barrier. Even the two potential candidates to primary the cheeto aren't fully invested in a barrier.

maybe you should go back and look at what beto said instead of wasting our time with thinking he said one thing when he said something else.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 26, 2019, 10:20:03 AM »
Seems like this has an echo effect.  Lot of articles in the last couple of days about Pete emerging as a legitimate candidate.

i'm not sure what you mean by an echo effect, but two things are both true, 1) buttigieg has become an legitimate candidate, and 2) the iowa emerson poll was laughably bad.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 26, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »
#teampete

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »

i'm not sure what you mean by an echo effect, but two things are both true, 1) buttigieg has become an legitimate candidate, and 2) the iowa emerson poll was laughably bad.
Sorry, I mean referring to the Iowa poll as a reason for him being seen as a more legitimate candidate, which gets him more coverage, which makes him be seen as a more legitimate candidate.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 26, 2019, 10:44:22 AM »
every time i see O'Rourke it takes me a second

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 26, 2019, 10:49:44 AM »
Instead of wasting my time looking for something so patently stupid, why don't you find me and Democratic candidate on record for wanting to build any type of border barrier. Even the two potential candidates to primary the cheeto aren't fully invested in a barrier.

maybe you should go back and look at what beto said instead of wasting our time with thinking he said one thing when he said something else.

He says he opposes any type of border barrier. If in 2019 any Democratic candidate expresses any support for a border barrier they can not only shut up shop in the 2020 primary but if they are currently in any office they can probably definitely kiss that goodbye too.

Also comparing the climate now to that of 2006 is total bullshit. Obviously Trump has changed what border security means, a barrier has a totally different connotation now, politically and practically, than it did 13 years ago. The party platform is now using technology at the border, I bet he'll fall right in line with the other 18 candidates with that.

This brings us back to the point that his campaign is extremely void when it comes to policy and that's amazing considering he spent 6 years in Washington. Cory Booker has been a senator for 6 years, same for Elizabeth Warren. Kamala Harris has been in Washington for a year and a half. I was down with Beto being a vice presidential candidate but I'm starting to think he's a shallow candidate placed here for suckers to glom onto.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 26, 2019, 11:11:24 AM »
He says he opposes any type of border barrier. If in 2019 any Democratic candidate expresses any support for a border barrier they can not only shut up shop in the 2020 primary but if they are currently in any office they can probably definitely kiss that goodbye too.

all the dems are against trump's addition to border barriers.  that's rough ridin' easy.  beto is attacking that the bush and obama additions and concomitant militarization of the border that has already occurred.  beto has also separately said that he would like to remove at least some sections of the bush/obama wall (which gillibrand also said she was open to considering, when asked about beto's comments).

there's a big rough ridin' difference between the two.

Trump has changed what border security means, a barrier has a totally different connotation now, politically and practically, than it did 13 years ago.

not really.  when i was living in mexico, everyone knew exactly what message the border walls that already existed and were then being added to were intended to convey.

This brings us back to the point that his campaign is extremely void when it comes to policy.

i mean, it's not.  but if you're not paying attention, it's easy to think that. 

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 26, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »
Sorry, I mean referring to the Iowa poll as a reason for him being seen as a more legitimate candidate, which gets him more coverage, which makes him be seen as a more legitimate candidate.

ah.

i don't know that the emerson poll has that much impact.  he was already legitimized before it came out.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 26, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
every time i see O'Rourke it takes me a second

i wonder about that.  being a one word candidate is an obvious plus, and beto is a great brand.  but i wonder if a first name brand is a little too informal for a presidential candidate.  especially as it reinforces other informal elements of his style.

i think, although i have never seen any data remotely on this, that it was a great branding move for trump in 2016 that he had all his surrogates calling him "mr. trump" on all the cable shows.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 26, 2019, 11:25:31 AM »

all the dems are against trump's addition to border barriers.  that's rough ridin' easy.  beto is attacking that the bush and obama additions and concomitant militarization of the border that has already occurred.  beto has also separately said that he would like to remove at least some sections of the bush/obama wall (which gillibrand also said she was open to considering, when asked about beto's comments).

there's a big rough ridin' difference between the two.

Trump has changed what border security means, a barrier has a totally different connotation now, politically and practically, than it did 13 years ago.

not really.  when i was living in mexico, everyone knew exactly what message the border walls that already existed and were then being added to were intended to convey.

This brings us back to the point that his campaign is extremely void when it comes to policy.

i mean, it's not.  but if you're not paying attention, it's easy to think that.

They're not different at all. If the question is asked at the debates, would you keep those sections up, no one is saying yes to that. Maybe Harris, maybe Biden, that's it; but I'd seriously doubt they would either. If he could say that he fought against this in 2006, that's one thing, but he can't do that either. There's not going to be any centrist views on a border barrier, it's political suicide, if for nothing else it would be played on repeat for the four to five months of the general.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 26, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »
They're not different at all. If the question is asked at the debates, would you keep those sections up, no one is saying yes to that. Maybe Harris, maybe Biden, that's it; but I'd seriously doubt they would either. If he could say that he fought against this in 2006, that's one thing, but he can't do that either. There's not going to be any centrist views on a border barrier, it's political suicide, if for nothing else it would be played on repeat for the four to five months of the general.

i mean, you're just wrong.  trust me, i pay quite a bit of attention to what democrats are messaging on "border security" and the notion of taking down existing barriers is just not on the table for the party as a whole.  criticizing obama is maybe on the table, but it's definitely not mainstream.

beto's record is mixed in terms of border security.  he fought very hard to not have barriers put up in downtown el paso (lost the fight) and has been outspoken about opposing the militarization of the border (wrote a book about legalizing marijuana that focused on the deleterious effects of the drug war on the border and border policing).  but he voted for several bills with "secure the border" funding.  presumably for district jobs and that sort of crap.

however you interpret his record, there is no one even close in either record or rhetoric on border issues.  it's not even debatable.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: March 26, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
clearly an effect of beto's campaign.  sorry, resident bernie bros.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1110602053649424384

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 26, 2019, 01:33:23 PM »
I’ve not studied it at all, but are there any negative consequences to just having a public healthcare option and let it compete with private insurers?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 26, 2019, 02:18:00 PM »

i mean, you're just wrong.  trust me, i pay quite a bit of attention to what democrats are messaging on "border security" and the notion of taking down existing barriers is just not on the table for the party as a whole.  criticizing obama is maybe on the table, but it's definitely not mainstream.

beto's record is mixed in terms of border security.  he fought very hard to not have barriers put up in downtown el paso (lost the fight) and has been outspoken about opposing the militarization of the border (wrote a book about legalizing marijuana that focused on the deleterious effects of the drug war on the border and border policing).  but he voted for several bills with "secure the border" funding.  presumably for district jobs and that sort of crap.

however you interpret his record, there is no one even close in either record or rhetoric on border issues.  it's not even debatable.

You seem to be giving Beto credit for saying something that doesn't really need voiced. I know taking existing barriers down isn't on the table, and he wouldn't do it either. I'll state again that if any of the rest were asked if they support removing existing barriers they would all be amenable to it or their campaign would be over. Maybe Julian Castro can get ahead of the curve and say that he'd support a nationwide ban on assault weapons. Never mind that the rest would support the same if asked and the ban would never happen.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 26, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »
You seem to be giving Beto credit for saying something that doesn't really need voiced. I know taking existing barriers down isn't on the table, and he wouldn't do it either. I'll state again that if any of the rest were asked if they support removing existing barriers they would all be amenable to it or their campaign would be over. Maybe Julian Castro can get ahead of the curve and say that he'd support a nationwide ban on assault weapons. Never mind that the rest would support the same if asked and the ban would never happen.

it needed to be voiced for me.

you're asserting a hypothetical.  i don't think you're right, but it's impossible to prove you're wrong.  i'd say let's wait and see what they say when asked, but i probably watched (or read) beto answer 50-100 voter questions last week and if there was a single question asked about anything about related to the border or even about non-daca immigration, i missed it.  americans just don't give a crap.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 27, 2019, 10:52:50 AM »
I’ve not studied it at all, but are there any negative consequences to just having a public healthcare option and let it compete with private insurers?

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/3/18/18270857/medicare-for-all-beto-orourke-2020-policies-voxcare

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 27, 2019, 10:58:23 AM »
Health insurance costs began to skyrocket in 94 when most of the BCBS's converted from non-profit mutual companies to for-profit publicly traded companies. For the life of me, I'll never know why they were allowed to do that.

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 27, 2019, 11:11:52 AM »
“I am thinking about it,” she voluntarily admitted, as she has before.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/stacey-abrams-2020-813613/

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 27, 2019, 11:12:55 AM »
 :Ugh:
Health insurance costs began to skyrocket in 94 when most of the BCBS's converted from non-profit mutual companies to for-profit publicly traded companies. For the life of me, I'll never know why they were allowed to do that.

health insurance in the united states is expensive because health care in the united states is expensive.  not the other way around.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 27, 2019, 11:15:16 AM »
Why is healthcare so expensive?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 27, 2019, 11:17:16 AM »
Not enough doctors, patent laws, too many FDA regs...