Author Topic: pos 'pubs being complete pieces of crap  (Read 143761 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: pos 'pubs being complete pieces of crap
« Reply #1200 on: October 01, 2020, 08:23:34 AM »
Markey's just doing what his constituents elected him to do, but I bet you could talk him down to targeted relief.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 01, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
Maybe Markey should try to meet pubs in the middle so that the rich get some tax cuts and no one else gets anything.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: October 01, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »
No better way to stimulate the economy than tax cuts for rich people
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 01, 2020, 04:43:01 PM »
There are 4.7 million people in Harris County, what a completely transparent move. Disgusting.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 02, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »
Maybe one of you educated cats can help me out here, but the Texas drop-off location thing confuses me. Sure, it looks dubious on its face. What I want to know is how many people actually use them, and why? Comparing the population of Harris County (Houston) to entire states is great and all, but that's not a real indicator of how this change will impact voting. Who are the people who request (and are granted) a mail-in ballot and, instead of just dropping it in the mail, drive to a designated drop-off location?? I have to assume postage is pre-paid, so it's not a matter of not having a stamp. I tried to get a mail-in ballot in 2016, and the voting commissioner told me to eff right off.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 02, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »
Maybe one of you educated cats can help me out here, but the Texas drop-off location thing confuses me. Sure, it looks dubious on its face. What I want to know is how many people actually use them, and why? Comparing the population of Harris County (Houston) to entire states is great and all, but that's not a real indicator of how this change will impact voting. Who are the people who request (and are granted) a mail-in ballot and, instead of just dropping it in the mail, drive to a designated drop-off location?? I have to assume postage is pre-paid, so it's not a matter of not having a stamp. I tried to get a mail-in ballot in 2016, and the voting commissioner told me to eff right off.

Voters who believe that the USPS is a rough ridin' mess, whether purposefully or not, and want to make sure their vote counts.  Also people who might not turn their ballots in until a week out and, again, don't trust the USPS to get it counted in time given that Republicans are trying to pass bills saying ballots should be counted same day or not at all. I don't buy your theory that population isn't an indicator. either  Population centers in TX are largely Democrat strongholds and now probably have the shittiest person to drop off location ratio. 

Trump was complaining about not having poll watchers for non-voting location drop offs and Texas jumped to attention.  If they want to allow poll watchers that follow the rules, fine, but there are plenty of dipshit Trumpers in Texas to monitor those 12 locations.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 02, 2020, 11:38:52 AM »

spracs did you follow the news about the post office while you were gone

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 02, 2020, 11:46:16 AM »
We only have "mail-in" ballots here; you don't request one.  It gets mailed to us automatically.  There's a return, postage-paid envelope you can mail it back in, but there's also boxes all over town.  I almost always drop mine off in one of the boxes; I just feel better knowing it's going through a process exclusive to the election rather than it mingling with all the other work the postal service has to do.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 02, 2020, 11:48:30 AM »

Isn't the USPS prioritizing mail-in ballots, now? Anyway, I've lived in Texas for most of my voting life and can honestly say I've never heard about ballot drop-off locations. Were I lucky enough to have a mail-in ballot, that sucker would go straight in the mail. And for the paranoid crowd, HOW CAN YOU BE SURE YOUR VOTE IS GOING TO GET COUNTED EVEN IF YOU DROP IT OFF?!?

I was hoping someone could make a compelling case for not mailing your mail-in ballot, and then connect the dots to how this harms dems/benefits pubs. Distrust of the postal service is one possible explanation, I guess. Wouldn't move the needle for me personally, though.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: October 02, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
I put mine out in my mailbox and raise the little flag letting society know that I have mail that needs to be mailed.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 02, 2020, 11:51:37 AM »
I was hoping someone could make a compelling case f

I didn't read what you were hoping for. What is happening, though, is that Republicans are looking to prevent as much voting as they can in as many ways as they can and hope that all of these little things might add up to help them should they need it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 02, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
You were hoping someone should make a compelling case that the governor should not close down drop off locations that were already set up? Why not ask for a compelling case to close them down?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: October 02, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »
HOW CAN YOU BE SURE YOUR VOTE IS GOING TO GET COUNTED EVEN IF YOU DROP IT OFF?!?

It's tracked.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 02, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »

I didn't read what you were hoping for. What is happening, though, is that Republicans are looking to prevent as much voting as they can in as many ways as they can and hope that all of these little things might add up to help them should they need it.

Seems awfully dumb if there's a 50/50 shot that it hurts you more than it helps. Perhaps the thinking is that this will have an impact, if at all, in large metropolitan centers, which skew more blue. Still, I'd just drop that little guy in outgoing mail and go on living my life.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: October 02, 2020, 02:37:55 PM »

Seems awfully dumb if there's a 50/50 shot that it hurts you more than it helps. Perhaps the thinking is that this will have an impact, if at all, in large metropolitan centers, which skew more blue. Still, I'd just drop that little guy in outgoing mail and go on living my life.

yes, it should disproportionally impact dems 1) because it's harder to get to one drop box per county in a county with 4 million people than in one with 4k people and dems are strongly concentrated in the populous counties, and 2) dems are using mail in ballots at a much higher rate than 'pubs in 2020 because trump has spent 6 months messaging that mail in ballots are incompatible with democracy.

somewhat counterbalanced by texas restricting no-excuse mail in ballots to those over 65, which will skew republican.  but i'm sure abbott's people have done the math.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 02, 2020, 02:42:19 PM »

Isn't the USPS prioritizing mail-in ballots, now? Anyway, I've lived in Texas for most of my voting life and can honestly say I've never heard about ballot drop-off locations. Were I lucky enough to have a mail-in ballot, that sucker would go straight in the mail. And for the paranoid crowd, HOW CAN YOU BE SURE YOUR VOTE IS GOING TO GET COUNTED EVEN IF YOU DROP IT OFF?!?

I was hoping someone could make a compelling case for not mailing your mail-in ballot, and then connect the dots to how this harms dems/benefits pubs. Distrust of the postal service is one possible explanation, I guess. Wouldn't move the needle for me personally, though.

it doesn't seem like you were paying attention

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 02, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »

it doesn't seem like you were paying attention

I always pay attention. I just don't assume fear of something necessarily equates to fact (of something). I haven't noticed any unusual receipt delays in things I send via standard U.S. Mail, much less priority mail. Maybe your snark devoid of substance is confusing me, though. Can you please elaborate?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 06, 2020, 08:47:45 PM »
dude is too young to be a likely candidate for coronavirus to take out, so i hope he dies in a fire.

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1313627692378607616
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 07, 2020, 12:42:25 AM »
dude is too young to be a likely candidate for coronavirus to take out, so i hope he dies in a fire.

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/1313627692378607616

The Comey Affair certainly didn't point this picture about the little big eared troll Rosenstein. That's ghoulish, they are all ghouls.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 14, 2020, 10:09:42 AM »
That story is wild, but what elections are they hoping to impact? Governor or something?

Also, did not realize ballot harvesting is actually legal in CA.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 14, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »
That story is wild, but what elections are they hoping to impact? Governor or something?

Also, did not realize ballot harvesting is actually legal in CA.

It's a protest against ballot harvesting