Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 447861 times)

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Re: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)
« Reply #4625 on: May 30, 2015, 02:09:14 AM »
Yeah third world countries love him. That's why he won so easily.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: May 31, 2015, 12:58:27 AM »
https://twitter.com/downthebyline/status/604330819709177856
I was listening to an BBC interview with a rep from a developing nation and it was really weird because they referred to Sepp as their Uncle in the football world.

He splits the revenue evenly amongst all nations. San Marino gets the same money from FIFA that Germany does. Also when he wants to buy votes he targets the small, poor federations, so more money for them. His election was never ever in doubt.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: May 31, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »
Sunny (or other posters) why do you dislike Klinnsman so much? I get some frustrations, but I think he's done well. Just curious as to why people don't like him.
:dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: May 31, 2015, 01:26:59 AM »
Sunny (or other posters) why do you dislike Klinnsman so much? I get some frustrations, but I think he's done well. Just curious as to why people don't like him.
:dunno:

Odd timing with this question. I think his selection was universally praised and he's done a relatively good job, not better than Bob Bradley IMO, but a good job nonetheless. My issue is that he feels like US Soccer needs to run just like some European federations, developing US Soccer within it's own definable culture seems either impossible for Jürgen or he just doesn't care to. He makes comments unnecessarily shitting on the hard work of people who built soccer in this country before he was associated with it. I'd be okay with it if he noticeably out performed the two guys running the USMNT before him but he hasn't. He still has time but his mouth isn't doing him any favors. His stupid comments about the MLS having a longer off season than European leagues is a perfect example. He thought US based players were not fit because the MLS season is too short, well as it turns out the MLS off season is significantly shorter than the European leagues. You'd think as the director of the men's national team and someone comfortable publicly trashing the league, he'd know what the eff he's talking about.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: May 31, 2015, 02:57:27 AM »
:thumbs:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: May 31, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
Yep, have to agree with most of that. Though it should be noted he is doing a pretty good job of getting the dual nationality types to pick the U.S.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: May 31, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
Yep, have to agree with most of that. Though it should be noted he is doing a pretty good job of getting the dual nationality types to pick the U.S.

For sure. I was wondering though, do we have an extensive history of having high quality dual citizens that actually have a choice? I know there have been a few throughout history but I can't think of any before Giuseppe Rossi.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: May 31, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »
Subotic comes to mind. I would have to think beyond that.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: May 31, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
Ibesevic could have I think. Eventually at least.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: May 31, 2015, 05:18:41 PM »
I was just catching up on this thread from like 15 pages ago, that's what brought it up. I can definitely see how he's offending people with his MLS comments, but I'd argue he's done markedly better than Bradley. Obviously he hasn't with The WC so far, but his teams seem far more talented and he's really claimed ownership over CONCACAF. I think he's setting up for what could be a decent run in Russia

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: May 31, 2015, 05:38:02 PM »
JK's legacy will be written in Russia, starting with the Confederations Cup(which he better qualify for). If we make another run in the Confederations Cup, wins at least 1 knockout game in the WC18, and I think the history of US Soccer will look fondly on him. Anything less historians will look back at this era as a disappointment imo, but the next 4 years could see him be considered better than BB, but i agree with MIR that as it stands right now, Bob is better in my book.

-scottwildcat's take on Jurgy

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: May 31, 2015, 05:40:32 PM »
I was just catching up on this thread from like 15 pages ago, that's what brought it up. I can definitely see how he's offending people with his MLS comments, but I'd argue he's done markedly better than Bradley. Obviously he hasn't with The WC so far, but his teams seem far more talented and he's really claimed ownership over CONCACAF. I think he's setting up for what could be a decent run in Russia

He hasn't done a thing that Bradley didn't do in CONCACAF. They both won their first Gold Cup, they both won the Hexagonal, both had 2-0. Bradley had to deal with a much better Mexico team when he won his World Cup but that's not Jurgen's fault and shouldn't be held against him. Where they depart is slight and it's if you consider the 2nd place finish in the 2009 Confederation Cup or getting out of Group G in the 2014 World Cup the greatest accomplishment in American soccer. For me it's the former but I would have no issue with someone picking the latter.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: May 31, 2015, 07:21:40 PM »
LOL at this roster

Klinsmann Calls 22 Players for Huge Tests against Netherlands and Germany
News May 31, 2015 6

USA faces No. 6-Ranked Netherlands in Amsterdam on June 5 before meeting World No. 1 Germany on June 10 in Cologne

CHICAGO (May 31, 2015) – U.S. Men’s National Team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann will bring 22 players to Europe for two of the toughest tests of his tenure, facing away friendlies against two of the top three finishers at the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

New Cycle, New Roster for USMNT
    Q&A: Klinsmann 'Games Llike These Don’t Happen Often in a Lifetime'

The U.S. meets No. 6-ranked Netherlands on June 5 in Amsterdam (2:30 p.m. ET - ESPN, WatchESPN, UniMas, UDN). The United States is seeking its first result in the series, having suffered four losses while scoring only a single goal.

Five days later, the USA faces 2014 FIFA World Cup champion Germany on June 10 in Cologne (Fox Sports 1, UniMas, UDN). The teams played in their final group game in Brazil last summer, with the Germans earning a 1-0 win. It’s been nine years since the last meeting on German soil, when the hosts then led by former coach Jurgen Klinsmann, cruised to a 4-1 win in Dortmund.

With the matches against Netherlands and Germany, the U.S. will have faced five teams in 2015 ranked in the top 20 in the world (Chile, Mexico, Switzerland are the other three), with four of those contests on away soil.

“Our time since the World Cup has been a transition period which now winds down before the Gold Cup,” said Klinsmann. “Playing against top teams like Germany and the Netherlands provides valuable experience, especially for the younger players here. More and more they must understand we come to meet these opponents eye to eye. Obviously it’s a bit tricky when we are without some of our core players, but that creates a huge opportunity for the guys here to benchmark themselves against some of the best players in the world. ”

The blend of youth and experience is evident. Eight players on the roster have 10 caps or less, while nine have made 20 appearances or more.

The United States will be without the services of three key players, as Toronto FC forward Jozy Altidore recovers from a hamstring injury and midfielder Alejandro Bedoya from a knee issue, and team captain Clint Dempsey remains in Seattle awaiting the birth of his fourth child.

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION: Detailed Roster
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)
DEFENDERS (7): Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur)
MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Danny Williams (Reading)
FORWARDS (4): Juan Agudelo (New England Revolution), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: May 31, 2015, 08:17:23 PM »
Idk what the Dutch and German rosters will look like but we may be getting curb stomped twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nick Florences Beard

• Low BBIQ, Med FBIQ
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: May 31, 2015, 08:39:49 PM »
Not very good at this BBS'in thing.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: May 31, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
Meh

• Low BBIQ, Med FBIQ
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: May 31, 2015, 10:12:01 PM »
Pretty much. No Muller, Kroos, Neuer or Reus.

• Low BBIQ, Med FBIQ
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: May 31, 2015, 10:15:58 PM »
Dutch selections

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: May 31, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »

Won't curb stomp us.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: May 31, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
If JK does get ousted after this cycle, his legacy will be for what follows, imo. I think he's really improved our youth programs. There's quite a few young guys people think of as potential future stars (not just for our national team, either) like Zelalem, Green or Carter-Vickers. If they meet expectations eventually, he'll be thought of more fondly. Obviously if they don't turn out then it'll just be more ammo against his tenure.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: May 31, 2015, 11:31:55 PM »
Keep posting in the soccer thread family of threads, DOD Take 2. :thumbs:

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: June 01, 2015, 06:00:20 AM »

Won't curb stomp us.

Maybe this will be the time we break Schweinsteiger's stupid fat face :excited:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: June 02, 2015, 06:34:06 AM »
U20's won 4-0 this morning

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: June 02, 2015, 11:41:40 AM »
FIFA announced a press conference for 11am still hasn't happened

https://twitter.com/richard_conway/status/605774561968189440

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: June 02, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »
SEPP IS OUT!!!!!