Author Topic: oscar continues to own Lon...  (Read 5187 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar continues to own Lon...
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:08:57 PM »
Destroyed them in the 2nd half...

Barry, Wade, Sneed, Diarra continue to impress.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: oscar continues to own Lon...
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »
Fan, 1st thanks for the earilier post predicting a win.  Made my day, and knew tonight would be special.  I thought the drive by Catrier in the midle of the second half were huge.  I think he is a better driver and as good of shooter as Cam.  I wish he would  otherwise not have brain fart doofus moments.  Claws is becoming the monster everyone thought he could be.  Flush is my guy though.  Defender of the hole.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:55:53 PM »
young with conference record 12 TOs...I wonder what the NCAA record is..

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 12:26:22 AM »
49 Pts in 34 2nd half Possessions.
You know it's a great half when you have almost as many 3pt makes as FG misses.  All in all, 24 FG/FT makes to only 7 FG/FT misses in the second 20 minutes.

Ou made 1 push in the 1st half.  They went 5-5 with four 3pt during a 16-3 run.  The other 36 minutes, you have to really love the Defensive effort. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 01:07:36 AM »
God bless Lon for letting Young play that way. What a joy to watch, even with the turnovers.

(Note I'm not saying this like I really think Lon is dumb, I'm seriously glad we get to see a player like that play like that)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 03:48:32 AM »
Can you imagine Frank with young firing the basketball all over the gym!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 06:30:30 AM »
SC said we only scored 4 points off Young's 12 turnovers.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:24:29 AM »
Can you imagine Frank with young firing the basketball all over the gym!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would be terribly scary
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 07:26:45 AM »
Just when i think oscar couldn't get any dumber, he does something like this......and totally redeems himself!!!!   :Woot:

Nah...my position hasn't changed.  But i'm walking a little taller today with just a bit more bounce in my step :)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 07:55:27 AM »
I like the balance now in the offense with driving to the basket, mid range jumpers, and good.look 3 points.  After the game on the radio, Weber said he has had to simplify the offense to match the players' skills, and running the offense through Claws.  It's working.  The Biggers SCORED 4 POINTS, who had the assist on these points?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 08:12:23 AM »
God bless Lon for letting Young play that way. What a joy to watch, even with the turnovers.

(Note I'm not saying this like I really think Lon is dumb, I'm seriously glad we get to see a player like that play like that)

Its good long term. But when a guy is involved in 48% of your possessions and has a 0.73 ORting you are going to lose most of the time.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 08:55:55 AM »
SC said we only scored 4 points off Young's 12 turnovers.

Maybe 4 fastbreak points?  Although I remember Barry scoring four of those in a really short time span.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 09:04:13 AM »
Lon left K-State because he thought it was too hard to win in Manhattan. Guess he was right.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »

Some kid had 14 in 1999, but I don't think that's the record.

I've seen him play a few times this year and he looked to be forcing it a lot more last night than he has in the past. I thought the forced 25 footers while guarded were much more problematic than the turnovers. He has the ability to get to the rim against most college players, he went at Cartier, not so much Barry. I thought last night was the first time it was evident the Curry comparisons were in his head.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »

Some kid had 14 in 1999, but I don't think that's the record.

I've seen him play a few times this year and he looked to be forcing it a lot more last night than he has in the past. I thought the forced 25 footers while guarded were much more problematic than the turnovers. He has the ability to get to the rim against most college players, he went at Cartier, not so much Barry. I thought last night was the first time it was evident the Curry comparisons were in his head.
I still thought it was a joy to watch him. I'm like amazed a college coach would even let a player practice like that to discover he could play like that. Steph completely changed the game and there's gonna be more Trae Young's and I'm really excited about that.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 10:30:57 AM »
To be fair, Lon has always let his guys play like that. Young is a better version of Buddy Hield. The NBA game rubbed off on him.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 10:35:38 AM »
I really liked what I saw from Mawien last night. His energy was fantastic and had some great moves to get to the basket.  :ksu:
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 10:41:36 AM »
To be fair, Lon has always let his guys play like that. Young is a better version of Buddy Hield. The NBA game rubbed off on him.
To be fair Hield never played like that. No one has played like that in college in my lifetime. Hield shot a lot of threes but that's about the only similarity in how they play.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:15 AM »
To be fair Hield never played like that. No one has played like that in college in my lifetime. Hield shot a lot of threes but that's about the only similarity in how they play.

True. He wasn't the point guard/creator that Young is, but you know what I mean. Lon let's his guys play and Young is a perfect fit for that. Not many college coaches would give him that much freedom.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »
I mean Steph didn't even play like Steph until he was in the league six years and on his third coach. They're just now understanding what can happen when you extend the offense well beyond the three point line.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
last night was the annual episode of Good oscar that allows him to keep his job. the team plays with energy, shoots well, and is completely fun to watch.

i hope to see many more episodes of Good oscar this season.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 11:05:31 AM »
last night was the annual episode of Good oscar that allows him to keep his job. the team plays with energy, shoots well, and is completely fun to watch.

I'm hopeful we have the leadership and drive from the players that oscar needs for this to happen. That's definitely not his forte, but when he has the guys to bring it his teams can be pretty good. We'll see.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 11:22:37 AM »

True. He wasn't the point guard/creator that Young is, but you know what I mean. Lon let's his guys play and Young is a perfect fit for that. Not many college coaches would give him that much freedom.

I get what you mean, but I think Young's play is a huge departure even for coaches that give more freedom than most. It's a complete adjustment in strategy and how the game is played more than just giving a guy the green light.

And I'd argue the way Lon used Hield was closer to how oscar used McGruder than how Lon uses Young. I mean Hield never had a season where he shot more often than Marcus Foster did for oscar as a freshman.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »

The biggest difference between oscar's program here in comparison to Frank's is playing with energy and purpose was the expectation for Frank's teams, it was cultural. Games like this come and go for oscar's teams because the expectation and toughness isn't built in. Sure, Frank's teams had the occasional compete dog of a game but it was rarely if ever due to effort and energy. The greatest dog crap game I can remember Frank's team playing was that Texas game where we lost by a billion. But that wasn't due to a lack of effort, they still defended, that was just the most inept offensive performance I've ever seen from a K-State team. Under oscar we have games like the Tulsa game five or six times a year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »

The biggest difference between oscar's program here in comparison to Frank's is playing with energy and purpose was the expectation for Frank's teams, it was cultural. Games like this come and go for oscar's teams because the expectation and toughness isn't built in. Sure, Frank's teams had the occasional compete dog of a game but it was rarely if ever due to effort and energy. The greatest dog crap game I can remember Frank's team playing was that Texas game where we lost by a billion. But that wasn't due to a lack of effort, they still defended, that was just the most inept offensive performance I've ever seen from a K-State team. Under oscar we have games like the Tulsa game five or six times a year.

this is a good summary. oscar has been as good or better at recruiting, which I didn't expect.