Author Topic: oscar Weber: One of the Best  (Read 40967 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: oscar Weber: One of the Best
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2018, 09:25:56 PM »
Frank only had 2 NCAA wins at K-State

?

Well since people are completely disregarding the NCAA when considering tournament wins, I'm going to use the same logic. When myself, and frankly most people reading this board, started watching the NCAA tournament it had 45 teams. Since of course any games won before a divisor of 16 don't count then any game won before the round of 32 is completely fake.

For some reason there's a segment of sports fans, not just K-State fans, who act like 64 is some sacred number although for any gen Xer the tournament has been something other than that more than it has, and it was 64 for only a very small number of years of the tournament's existence. And guess what? It's going to increase again when this TV deal is over.
TY! :clap: :clap:

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
The kid has affected your troll game TBT

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
The kid has affected your troll game TBT

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I was just watching the point sail about 15 miles over his head

The Big Train

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2018, 09:58:48 PM »
:lol:

The Big Train

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2018, 10:04:36 PM »
What’s also hilarious is that nobody commented on my post about ‘As many as it takes TBT’.

Why?  Because that sailed over everyone who posts here’s head.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2018, 10:10:01 PM »

?

Well since people are completely disregarding the NCAA when considering tournament wins, I'm going to use the same logic. When myself, and frankly most people reading this board, started watching the NCAA tournament it had 45 teams. Since of course any games won before a divisor of 16 don't count then any game won before the round of 32 is completely fake.

For some reason there's a segment of sports fans, not just K-State fans, who act like 64 is some sacred number although for any gen Xer the tournament has been something other than that more than it has, and it was 64 for only a very small number of years of the tournament's existence. And guess what? It's going to increase again when this TV deal is over.
Holy cow grandpa #notmytournament
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »

?

I think you're kidding, hoping? But to drive this point home even more, there is literally no one alive on the planet, not a single person, who has spent a majority of their life with a 64 team tournament. The tournament was 64 teams for only 15 years, 1985-2000. The tournament hasn't been 64 teams for 18 years yet we're STILL hearing 68 team hottakes from disgruntled Anti-Brucers, sports talk morning zoo hosts, and sports fans who only watch college basketball for 4 weeks.

There is nothing more old ballzy than pining for something that was left in the 20th century. AOL, pogs, and teletubbies were things since the 64 team tournament went away.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2018, 10:52:33 PM »
God, I love it, ty MIR! :cheers:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2018, 11:04:23 PM »

?

The difference is that the most of the teams don’t have a first round game. Either everyone not playing in it should be credited with a win vs bye, or those who win the game should be treated like they won a play-in game to reach the real tournament. Otherwise you credit coaches for winning a matchup against an equally crappy team while other coaches who actually had better seasons have to play a much better team than theirs in their first round. People would give first round wins more weight if the tournament had a field of 128.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2018, 11:49:06 PM »
The ncaa tournament is popular b/c of brackets and rough ridin' off at work/school, and everyone's bracket always has been and always will be a 64-team bracket. That, and that the first round is called the FIRST round, reinforces why people only consider THE tournament as the thing that america cares about that starts on a thursday.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2018, 05:33:20 AM »
Make the NIT great again!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar Weber: One of the Best
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2018, 07:10:35 AM »
I think they stopped calling it the first round recently.  If you’re talking tournament wins, I think MIR is right you gotta count play-in/first four just like you would count wildcard games in any other postseason. It’s a good point that if we want to be critical of NCAA adding those games, why stop there since the field has expanded so much to dilute the meaning of a tournament win over the years?

With that out of the way, it’s a pretty weak jump to say fans should value a first four win the same as a Thursday/Friday game.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #112 on: February 09, 2018, 07:41:09 AM »

I think you're kidding, hoping? But to drive this point home even more, there is literally no one alive on the planet, not a single person, who has spent a majority of their life with a 64 team tournament. The tournament was 64 teams for only 15 years, 1985-2000. The tournament hasn't been 64 teams for 18 years yet we're STILL hearing 68 team hottakes from disgruntled Anti-Brucers, sports talk morning zoo hosts, and sports fans who only watch college basketball for 4 weeks.

There is nothing more old ballzy than pining for something that was left in the 20th century. AOL, pogs, and teletubbies were things since the 64 team tournament went away.

NCAA went to 68 in 2010.

**edited because I am an idiot and forgot about the play in game in 2000 :facepalm:**
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:59:55 AM by hatingfrancisco »

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »
Just add 4 wins to Frank's total since he isn't a crapface loser and never had to worry about advancing out of the first 4

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »

?

Born in '87, it's all I know :gocho: also, the first 10 years of expansion in 2000 were to 65 and an extra 16 seed... WGAF?
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2018, 08:04:47 AM »
i appreciate the point MIR is trying to make, but LOL at counting the 65 team years as an expanded field. it was a battle of 16 seeds to see who got to play the #1 seed, and you couldn't even pick a winner on your bracket. my entire life has been a 64 team field m8.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2018, 08:13:36 AM »
2001-2010 :  The Lost Years
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2018, 08:18:53 AM »
Maybe one day, the world will acquiesce to the ncaa and quit calling the play-in games “play-in games,” or recognize the thing teams are playing into as something other than the tournament, and give oscar full credit for his one ncaa tournament win at ksu.

Quote from: oscar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf5qrVdD9E0

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
oscar agendites have to research the history of the ncaa tournament in order to justify counting a rough ridin' play-in game victory, amazing

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 09, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
just my .02 but i don't consider winning a play in game a tournament win.  hang a banner for eff sake.  i always thought it was hilarious when one of the 16 seed teams would win their play in game and the graphic was "Eastern Michigan Tech's FIRST EVER TOURNAMENT WIN!"   ummmmmm, no.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
FWIW, I count last year as being in the tournament, but not a "real" tournament win because it was the play in game. Obviously, oscar needs to change that sooner than later.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
i always thought it was hilarious when one of the 16 seed teams would win their play in game and the graphic was "Eastern Michigan Tech's FIRST EVER TOURNAMENT WIN!"   ummmmmm, no.

It's smart for the tv network to put that graphic up and try to get people to buy in and go along with that presentation, with that theoretically leading to more regular people treating such games as tournament games and tuning in.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
oscar Weber: One of the Best
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2018, 09:05:07 AM »
Serious question: is there a wildcard game in any other sport that you refuse to call a “playoff game”? (or postseason)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2018, 09:10:13 AM »
Serious question: is there a wildcard game in any other sport that you refuse to call a “playoff game”? (or postseason)

It would be hard to feel like you were actually in the MLB playoffs if you lost the 1 game wildcard series.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2018, 09:21:04 AM »
Not really the question. I’m asking if you would consider that game a postseason win.