Author Topic: Alabama, the "the south" of the south  (Read 87414 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Alabama, the "the south" of the south
« Reply #1500 on: April 03, 2023, 01:32:09 PM »
Especially in the US
I imagine poverty is correlated with shorter life expectancy wherever you are.

But especially in the US ...
Not really sure what you're basing that on, but it wouldn't surprise me. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 03, 2023, 01:34:50 PM »
Especially in the US

I'm basing that on our healthcare system vis-a-vis our peer countries.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: April 03, 2023, 01:38:05 PM »
The South...now as resistant to insulin as they are to progress

I shouldn't have laughed but damnit this got me

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: April 03, 2023, 01:39:23 PM »
I don't disagree that the South has more prevalent health issues, but really?

The quadrangle has an average adult obesity rate of 35% to 37%.   Wichita, KCMO/KCKS, Omaha - Council Bluffs, Des Moines, St. Louis are rated as some of the most obese cities in these United States.

The heart of the KC Metro:  A southern life expectancy emulation

:dunno: my county is one of the bluest on that map, healthy, left leaning, and hot  :love:

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: April 03, 2023, 01:39:32 PM »
DFW metro drives that home. It is a southern state full of fat, bbq eating sumbitches. For those not in this area, the two dark blue/green counties in north central Texas are Denton and Collin, left to right. The two directly below are Tarrant and Dallas.
This area has seen tremendous growth and economic prosperity. Its demographics are 43% white, 30% Hispanic, 16% black, 8% Asian, 3% bi-racial/other. The median household income is 10% higher than the rest of the US.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: April 03, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »
It's fun to crap on the south but really it's how the entire country treats minorities

Facts

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: April 03, 2023, 01:40:52 PM »
Especially in the US

Fair.  I'm just saying it would be interesting to see other countries' geo breakdowns of LE vs. median income.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: April 03, 2023, 01:44:01 PM »

The quadrangle has an average adult obesity rate of 35% to 37%.   Wichita, KCMO/KCKS, Omaha - Council Bluffs, Des Moines, St. Louis are rated as some of the most obese cities in these United States.

:dunno: my county is one of the bluest on that map, healthy, left leaning, and hot  :love:

The counties I lived in the Southeast were mid to dark blue, healthy, left leaning and hot, and at the beach in one instance, without Iowa State fans and snow.

Thanks for affirming your pinnacle first world problem living, tho  :thumbsup:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: April 03, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »

The counties I lived in the Southeast were mid to dark blue, healthy, left leaning and hot, and at the beach in one instance, without Iowa State fans and snow.

I've asked you this before but would you rather me live in the hood? You really seem to be offended that I don't live where you think I should. Ames schools has a minority population of 40%. Colored people have money too.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: April 03, 2023, 02:47:03 PM »
Why does dax keep choosing to live in generational dem strongholds? (his words)
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: April 03, 2023, 03:29:04 PM »
Especially in the US

Fair.  I'm just saying it would be interesting to see other countries' geo breakdowns of LE vs. median income.
Here's one after a quick google search

https://www.aerzteblatt.de/int/archive/article/214726

Not nearly as criminal a difference, whether or not it's driven by poverty

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: April 03, 2023, 03:58:08 PM »

fwiw.

That article the original US longevity map was lifted from also includes this, which is pretty interesting:

More Money Means More Time Alive
Money has become an increasingly strong determinant of who will live longer. People in wealthy counties outlive their poorer counterparts by as much as 20 years now, the greatest gap that in ages that America has seen in 40 years. In South Dakota’s Oglala Lakota county, for example, the average life expectancy is 66.8, making it the worst county in America. The median income in Oglala Lakota is $30,347, which stands in stark contrast to Colorado’s Summit County where life expectancy is 86.9, making it the highest in the country. Median income in Summit is more than 2.5x higher than it is in Oglala Lakota.

When we dive deeper than the county level, we see this relationship between money and life expectancy come into even clearer focus. Raj Chetty at Harvard analyzed 1.4 billion individual tax records between 1999–2014 and matched those to death records. His findings were alarming:

First… the gap in life expectancy between the richest 1% and poorest 1% of individuals was 14.6 years for men and 10.1 years for women. Second, inequality in life expectancy increased over time. Between 2001 and 2014, life expectancy increased by 2.34 years for men and 2.91 years for women in the top 5% of the income distribution, but by only 0.32 years for men and 0.04 years for women in the bottom 5%.

Diving deeper into the bottom five worst counties for expectancy yields some interestiing results. Four of these five counties all have Native American populations higher than 80%. The remaining county, Union in Florida, is not majority Native American, but instead is home to the state’s largest prison population.
On average, none of the 31,000 people in these five counties will live past the age of 70.

Whole article is interesting and worth reading:
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/zNqoD/9/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 04:01:11 PM by DQ12 »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: April 03, 2023, 04:11:40 PM »
@DQ12 your link isn't the article but the same usa life expectancy map

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: April 03, 2023, 04:30:13 PM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: April 03, 2023, 06:25:55 PM »

I've asked you this before but would you rather me live in the hood? You really seem to be offended that I don't live where you think I should. Ames schools has a minority population of 40%. Colored people have money too.

Oh yeah, my world view has always been one where there's no "colored" people with money, and that only white folks have first world problems.   :thumbsup:  If you step back and think about, this is actually why I get such a kick about your  :bawl: because I know so many "colored" people (like you) are at the pinnacle of first world problems. 

LMAO on your Ames Community Schools diversity statement.  A very simple run through of statistics gives a very clear indication as to why Ames, MHK-Ogden, Lawrence Public, Iowa City Public schools etc. etc. have diverse public school enrollments that are not inline with the overall demographic population of the city itself.  In each instance the largest employers in those cities have a substantially diverse work force and a substantially diverse population of post graduate students of which a substantial population in that demographic have children.  They're all also relatively small school systems where the demographic numbers can be substantially impacted by a relatively small number of students.  It's also likely not much of a stretch to consider that graduate students with children substantially impact the economically disadvantaged enrollment in those school systems as well.. 

I don't care where you live, unless you're trying to foist something so utterly disingenuous like those numbers on us.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 06:29:31 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: April 03, 2023, 07:06:19 PM »
lol, I'm not reading that, dax. My goodness.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: April 03, 2023, 11:44:09 PM »
not going to bother looking for it, but there was an interesting thread from the economist data guy a couple days ago on this topic.  the majority (but only barely) of the difference btwn us longevity and other longevity in other high income nations was non-medical.  gun deaths, auto-related deaths and illicit drug related deaths mostly affecting younger americans.  if you made it to 65 in the us, your life expectancy is pretty close to the same as in other high income nations.

obesity was another little chunk, but again there was still a good bit of unexplained variance.  honestly, it was a bit unsatisfying.  there wasn't a great unifying explanation.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: April 04, 2023, 08:12:56 AM »
not going to bother looking for it, but there was an interesting thread from the economist data guy a couple days ago on this topic.  the majority (but only barely) of the difference btwn us longevity and other longevity in other high income nations was non-medical.  gun deaths, auto-related deaths and illicit drug related deaths mostly affecting younger americans.  if you made it to 65 in the us, your life expectancy is pretty close to the same as in other high income nations.

obesity was another little chunk, but again there was still a good bit of unexplained variance.  honestly, it was a bit unsatisfying.  there wasn't a great unifying explanation.
Again, whether it's poverty or health care or drugs or guns, we as a country are making a choice to accept those young deaths or low life expectancy or however you want to classify it

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: April 04, 2023, 08:16:16 AM »

You read it and realized that it's not 1953 in America anymore.

Congratulations for living in a country that has given you the opportunity to participate in middle class/upper middle class economic flight to the good schools and the well run cities.  Where all but two people on the city council list advanced degrees in their bios, and the one person who doesn't have an advanced degree is a student at ISU.  A city where 6 in 10 people are college graduates and the school system has a drop out rate of . . . 7%.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: April 04, 2023, 08:39:49 AM »

fwiw.

That article the original US longevity map was lifted from also includes this, which is pretty interesting:

More Money Means More Time Alive
Money has become an increasingly strong determinant of who will live longer. People in wealthy counties outlive their poorer counterparts by as much as 20 years now, the greatest gap that in ages that America has seen in 40 years. In South Dakota’s Oglala Lakota county, for example, the average life expectancy is 66.8, making it the worst county in America. The median income in Oglala Lakota is $30,347, which stands in stark contrast to Colorado’s Summit County where life expectancy is 86.9, making it the highest in the country. Median income in Summit is more than 2.5x higher than it is in Oglala Lakota.

When we dive deeper than the county level, we see this relationship between money and life expectancy come into even clearer focus. Raj Chetty at Harvard analyzed 1.4 billion individual tax records between 1999–2014 and matched those to death records. His findings were alarming:

First… the gap in life expectancy between the richest 1% and poorest 1% of individuals was 14.6 years for men and 10.1 years for women. Second, inequality in life expectancy increased over time. Between 2001 and 2014, life expectancy increased by 2.34 years for men and 2.91 years for women in the top 5% of the income distribution, but by only 0.32 years for men and 0.04 years for women in the bottom 5%.

Diving deeper into the bottom five worst counties for expectancy yields some interestiing results. Four of these five counties all have Native American populations higher than 80%. The remaining county, Union in Florida, is not majority Native American, but instead is home to the state’s largest prison population.
On average, none of the 31,000 people in these five counties will live past the age of 70.

Whole article is interesting and worth reading:
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/zNqoD/9/

Yeah so for Germany, you don't see the crazy income disparity or life expectancy gap that you see in the US, which might partially explain the poorer correlation between the two maps of Germany. Also it would be interesting to see how "available income" in Germany compares to per capita income in the US.

Regardless, allowing extreme poverty and massive prison populations is a choice that leads to a lot of premature death!

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: April 04, 2023, 08:58:14 AM »

I think he basically said that affirmative action exists in universities and it works.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: April 04, 2023, 09:02:11 AM »

Congratulations for living in a country that has given you the opportunity to participate in middle class/upper middle class economic flight to the good schools and the well run cities.  Where all but two people on the city council list advanced degrees in their bios, and the one person who doesn't have an advanced degree is a student at ISU.  A city where 6 in 10 people are college graduates and the school system has a drop out rate of . . . 7%.

MIR, in the future please be a little more grateful for what white people have given you.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: April 04, 2023, 09:20:23 AM »
:lol:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: April 04, 2023, 01:44:12 PM »

The country is of course white people

Kind of sad and closed minded, but wholly expected  :frown: