Author Topic: Alabama, the "the south" of the south  (Read 84563 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Alabama, the "the south" of the south
« Reply #750 on: December 19, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
the South just can't catch a break. after a history consisting entirely of slavery and racism and segregated schools and whites only water fountains and kkk and lynching and riots and people like the south carolina frat guys in Borat, the South was finally all moderate and integrated (citation pending), but then wouldn't you know it, here come a bunch of yankees to make it all segregated and racist again!
example: all the backwards bumblefucks offended at the Lee statues coming down? born and raised in yankeetown, North USA

When Kansas integrated its schools in 1904 err . . 1955 it was a great day.

They were still fighting and arguing about desegregation in KCMO into the 90's, and it went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Spending that much money in Kansas City is unfair to the rest of Missouri, the state will argue, and the expenditure is producing only slow progress.http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/11/us/kansas-city-s-widely-debated-desegregation-experiment-reaches-the-supreme-court.html?pagewanted=all

Why was it showing "slow progress"??  (Pro tip:  White Flight suburbia was just fine with their little enclaves and they weren't shipping their kid to KCMO, that's why).

I agree with much of the overall point you are trying to make here.

You do however lose me with the notion that Missouri is somehow part of the "North" in this discussion of vernacular regions.

That's like going to Coffeyville and concluding that all of Kansas is like Coffeyville.

The South, approximately 127 million people, Baton Rouge 227K.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:35:42 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 19, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
the South just can't catch a break. after a history consisting entirely of slavery and racism and segregated schools and whites only water fountains and kkk and lynching and riots and people like the south carolina frat guys in Borat, the South was finally all moderate and integrated (citation pending), but then wouldn't you know it, here come a bunch of yankees to make it all segregated and racist again!
example: all the backwards bumblefucks offended at the Lee statues coming down? born and raised in yankeetown, North USA

When Kansas integrated its schools in 1904 err . . 1955 it was a great day.

They were still fighting and arguing about desegregation in KCMO into the 90's, and it went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Spending that much money in Kansas City is unfair to the rest of Missouri, the state will argue, and the expenditure is producing only slow progress.http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/11/us/kansas-city-s-widely-debated-desegregation-experiment-reaches-the-supreme-court.html?pagewanted=all

Why was it showing "slow progress"??  (Pro tip:  White Flight suburbia was just fine with their little enclaves and they weren't shipping their kid to KCMO, that's why).

I agree with much of the overall point you are trying to make here.

You do however lose me with the notion that Missouri is somehow part of the "North" in this discussion of vernacular regions.

That's like going to Coffeyville and concluding that all of Kansas is like Coffeyville.

The South, approximately 127 million people, Baton Rouge 227K.

Speaking of which, I heard an interesting tale this weekend about a shooting in Coffeyville and they won't even arrest the shooter.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 19, 2017, 02:15:27 PM »
Speaking of which, I heard an interesting tale this weekend about a shooting in Coffeyville and they won't even arrest the shooter.

S-Town Kansas

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 19, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »
Now I've never been to cville but I imagine it's similar to most of Kansas
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 19, 2017, 02:21:11 PM »

Coffeyville is pretty much like any small town in Oklahoma.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 19, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
 :sdeek:  I did not realize it was that bad

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 19, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
Likely to be another shooting soon in retaliation. I hope it doesn't happen when I am there for Christmas eve.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 19, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »
:sdeek:  I did not realize it was that bad

do you even 2nd worst town in kansas thread?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 19, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »
Yeah but still...

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 19, 2017, 03:08:50 PM »

More like a mixture of Oklahoma & Missouri.

The Big Train

« Reply #760 on: December 19, 2017, 03:11:14 PM »

More like a mixture of Oklahoma & Missouri.

Yeah it’s trash city.  No offense Mrs. Gooch

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 21, 2017, 09:48:54 AM »
thats not even a good try

You totally avoided all the issues right in your own backyard.

Plus, you know I’m right. 

Self awareness much?

Kansas is both smarter and less obese than Alabama

If you have to make yourself feel better.

Being better than the south isn't a huge consolation but it's easy at least

Unfortunately all the people moving here tell a different story.

from the information you've given it seems like alabama is just a mecca for racist people so that's probably why all the racist transplants choosing alabama

The South.

Man 40% population growth for the South in 2016. 

Troost Wall, suburban white neighborhood sprawl, state line, that’s the KC Metro.  Bring up busing and school desegregation in JOCO, Lee Summit and Blue Springs and sit back and watch the meltdown.

eff busing

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 21, 2017, 09:55:36 AM »
I mean I honestly kinda get dax's point but he isn't explaining it very well and I'm enjoying the flailing.

Can you please explain at some point?  Cause I am completely lost.

I think his basic point is the South isn't meaningfully more racist than supposedly enlightened northern liberal cities. I mean there's a reason Michael Che called Boston the most racist city he's been and the Boston Globe did a huge series on how racist Boston is and why there is a Troost wall and extreme segregation in Chicago. (for example). I've said this before, but when I've been in the south I don't feel like whites are as "afraid" of blacks as they are in the North/Midwest. It feels like a more comfortable existence on the surface, even if there is some deep-seated hate there.

I'd also love to live in Asheville.

Calling places racist is stupid. If there are white people, there are people who hate/fear black people. Give me a place outside of Nicodemus, Kansas and I'll give you some story that proves that it's racist.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 21, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »

wtf? This dude ever leave NEKS?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 21, 2017, 10:12:45 AM »

wtf? This dude ever leave NEKS?

As little as possible

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: December 21, 2017, 10:14:03 AM »
I think you guys forgot that this is the thread for laughing at Roy Moore, who by the way was eliminated yesterday when ~5,000 overseas/military ballots came in and it didn't come close to the 20,000+ he needed to overcome the vote deficit. Does anyone here think this tough guy actually has the stones to concede?

"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: December 21, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »
This thread is for calling people racist, SB.

My work puts me in close contact with hundreds of poor to middle class southerners and other Americans. I can say a few things for certain. The poor, rural south is far less racist than you probably suppose. White people from upper-middle class southern cities and black people from highly urban northern cities have shockingly bad attitudes about race. The prize for most racist city goes to St. Louis, not Boston.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:15:58 AM by bubbles4ksu »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: December 21, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
since Che was already brought up ITT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNkrW7jlQM

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: December 21, 2017, 11:35:51 AM »
Jesus, Dax really does hate the eff out of Kansas/KC. It's like that's all that goes through his mind. Sad.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: December 21, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »
This thread is for calling people racist, SB.

The prize for most racist city goes to Earth.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: December 21, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
I've lived in the south, midwest, and the northeast so I feel uniquely qualified to talk about this. The racism in all three places are different and rooted historically. The racism is more overt because the institutional racism is deeply rooted. However, southerners, even racist ones are much more likely to have black people in their circle than others elsewhere. If we completely disregard slavery, southerners older than 50, were alive during Jim Crow. Most people who rightly jumped on Roy Moore for his glorification of slavery likely couldn't remember the last time they ate a meal with a black person.

Midwesterners generally have a "not in my backyard" philosophy. Every single major Midwestern city is segregated. Blacks move in, whites move out. White flight is the midwest. I never had an issue with white people in the midwest until I came home to dinner with daddies little girl. I never had a single relationship with a white female that didn't have very serious pushback. White Midwesterners only know black people through television and that informs the behavior.

Northeast racism takes a couple of different forms. Boston gets a bad rap for racism because it's an immigrant city and a perfect microcosm for race relations in the northeast. Blacks, Italians, Irish, Jews, and other smaller ethnic groups were fighting for the same space during the industrial revolution. In Boston, NYC, and Philadelphia to a lesser extent, the cities became incredibly segregated, but unlike post civil war south, it was by choice and not institutional. These areas remain incredibly segregated and parochial. Boston and the northeast don't have a problem with blacks but an issue with all ethnic groups. In NYC people stick to their Burroughs, which are segregated. In Boston, the Italians have the north end, the Irish have southie, the blacks have roxbury, and the WASPs and Jews have the western suburbs.

I couldn't personally tell you what's going on out west but the treatment of Asians and Latinos is well documented. I read this yesterday about how supposedly woke people in the PNW treated high school kids who dared to take a knee.
https://thinkprogress.org/garfield-take-a-knee-8415e57a7a3e/

No one has the market cornered on racism, this crap is generations deep, err'werr.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: December 21, 2017, 07:21:05 PM »
Adorable

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: December 21, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
omg