Author Topic: Alabama, the "the south" of the south  (Read 84522 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Alabama, the "the south" of the south
« Reply #725 on: December 18, 2017, 12:41:02 PM »
The lost city of Atlanta, said southern blacks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 18, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »
the South just can't catch a break. after a history consisting entirely of slavery and racism and segregated schools and whites only water fountains and kkk and lynching and riots and people like the south carolina frat guys in Borat, the South was finally all moderate and integrated (citation pending), but then wouldn't you know it, here come a bunch of yankees to make it all segregated and racist again!
example: all the backwards bumblefucks offended at the Lee statues coming down? born and raised in yankeetown, North USA

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 18, 2017, 01:02:02 PM »
I mean I honestly kinda get dax's point but he isn't explaining it very well and I'm enjoying the flailing.

Can you please explain at some point?  Cause I am completely lost.

I think his basic point is the South isn't meaningfully more racist than supposedly enlightened northern liberal cities. I mean there's a reason Michael Che called Boston the most racist city he's been and the Boston Globe did a huge series on how racist Boston is and why there is a Troost wall and extreme segregation in Chicago. (for example). I've said this before, but when I've been in the south I don't feel like whites are as "afraid" of blacks as they are in the North/Midwest. It feels like a more comfortable existence on the surface, even if there is some deep-seated hate there.

I'd also love to live in Asheville.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 18, 2017, 01:05:14 PM »
Asheville is amazing
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: December 18, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't argue with any of that kRusty
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 18, 2017, 01:11:56 PM »
the South just can't catch a break. after a history consisting entirely of slavery and racism and segregated schools and whites only water fountains and kkk and lynching and riots and people like the south carolina frat guys in Borat, the South was finally all moderate and integrated (citation pending), but then wouldn't you know it, here come a bunch of yankees to make it all segregated and racist again!
example: all the backwards bumblefucks offended at the Lee statues coming down? born and raised in yankeetown, North USA

When Kansas integrated its schools in 1904 err . . 1955 it was a great day.

They were still fighting and arguing about desegregation in KCMO into the 90's, and it went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Spending that much money in Kansas City is unfair to the rest of Missouri, the state will argue, and the expenditure is producing only slow progress.http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/11/us/kansas-city-s-widely-debated-desegregation-experiment-reaches-the-supreme-court.html?pagewanted=all

Why was it showing "slow progress"??  (Pro tip:  White Flight suburbia was just fine with their little enclaves and they weren't shipping their kid to KCMO, that's why).

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 18, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »
When I think of joco, liberal utopia is the first thing that comes to mind

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 18, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
When I think of joco, liberal utopia is the first thing that comes to mind

I never even implied that it was.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 18, 2017, 01:21:53 PM »
Oh, ok  ;)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 18, 2017, 01:22:53 PM »
Oh, ok  ;)

You're so far behind here, it's just sad.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 18, 2017, 01:49:52 PM »
dax's whataboutism is so good. of course there is tons of segregation and racism everywhere. it is also true that there are schools in the South that have segregated proms and most of the South built up private academies as a response to integration. Northerners catch much less flak on segregation than the South, but there are also substantive differences.

In the end, both should be addressed and remedied.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 18, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
The south is gross and racist because of transplants lol, how does dax come up with this stuff?

Yeah he's used that one before, amaze

Yup, it's transplants from Wisconsin that love the Confederacy  :lol:

No, the point you obtuse dumbass.  Is that all the supposedly “enlightened” transplants flock to their white enclaves and set up their own little exclusively white townships in the middle of areas that before they arrived were very integrated.

Do you want to have a serious conversation about the push/pull factors that make people decide where to live? 
I'm sure that correlation to the whole "black belt thing" is just there because those people are too lazy to move to new areas am i rite!

Lol, don’t start bringing your little meaningless catch phrases in now.

It’s real simple, why is there the great migration South?  The transplants are purposely increasing segregation (and urban sprawl) and now the gentrification issues are mounting in the urban areas.  Because the wealthier white empty nesters are selling their white flight houses in the burbs and buying new condos downtown.  Pushing out the less wealthy indigenous population. 

You’re clueless. Don’t even start with your bullshit.
Verifiable sociological trends based in reality are "catch phrases."

Protip: Segregation never left for transplants to "re-start," as you claim.

I never said they restarted.   But LOL, Kansas/Missouri (for example) is home to two of the most racially divided  metroplexes (demographically) in the United States.

Good for Kansas?  :confused:

And your whole thesis has been the south isn't bad until those whites from up north came down.  Pfff acting like the south was all hunky dory since 1865 till the babyboomers started retiring.

Not true. The whole “thesis” has been while the South moderated and became more integrated along came the transplants and their white flight burbs . . . and now Southern cities have a growing gentrification problem, driven by?  White folks, many of them of the transplant variety, and many of them supposedly progressive in political leanings. 

You’re at least 3 laps down here.
:lol:
okay buddy. 

(should we recognize that the south only "moderated" when jackbooted federal thugs broke up the reigning community protection groups?)
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Alabama, the "the south" of the south
« Reply #737 on: December 18, 2017, 02:33:24 PM »
The south is gross and racist because of transplants lol, how does dax come up with this stuff?

No, the point you obtuse dumbass.  Is that all the supposedly “enlightened” transplants flock to their white enclaves and set up their own little exclusively white townships in the middle of areas that before they arrived were very integrated.

Do you want to have a serious conversation about the push/pull factors that make people decide where to live? 
I'm sure that correlation to the whole "black belt thing" is just there because those people are too lazy to move to new areas am i rite!

It’s real simple, why is there the great migration South?  The transplants are purposely increasing segregation (and urban sprawl) and now the gentrification issues are mounting in the urban areas.  Because the wealthier white empty nesters are selling their white flight houses in the burbs and buying new condos downtown.  Pushing out the less wealthy indigenous population. 

I never said they restarted.   But LOL, Kansas/Missouri (for example) is home to two of the most racially divided  metroplexes (demographically) in the United States.

And your whole thesis has been the south isn't bad until those whites from up north came down.  Pfff acting like the south was all hunky dory since 1865 till the babyboomers started retiring.

Not true. The whole “thesis” has been while the South moderated and became more integrated along came the transplants and their white flight burbs . . . and now Southern cities have a growing gentrification problem, driven by?  White folks, many of them of the transplant variety, and many of them supposedly progressive in political leanings. 

okay buddy. 

(should we recognize that the south only "moderated" when jackbooted federal thugs broke up the reigning community protection groups?)

Sure, can we admit it took/takes Federal Courts to (kind of) break up segregation in “enlightened” land, and white flight suburbia has effectively defeated any real attempt to fully segregate schools, to the point people have basically given up? 

We now have the issue of urban millineal/white gentrification, and then flight (or private school) once children arrive.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 18, 2017, 03:08:23 PM »

okay buddy. 

Sure, can we admit it took/takes Federal Courts to (kind of) break up segregation in “enlightened” land, and white flight suburbia has effectively defeated any real attempt to fully segregate schools, to the point people have basically given up? 

We now have the issue of urban millineal/white gentrification, and then flight (or private school) once children arrive.

I can agree to part of it.  You have a bigly blind spot for the rampant erosion of civil rights across the board though, see your comments on voter ID, education access and funding, and a few other issues.  Lets not make it seem like the South was actually Reconstructed like it should have been.  Sure white flight and gentrification are major issues (mostly defacto), but they don't hold a candle to the same old tricks from state legislatures using de jure power to keep people in their place. The fact there is a verified "black belt" with its legacy reaching directly back to slavery should be enough for you to back off this imported white flight being a major cause of issues and not icing on a rich slice of chocolate cake with two scoops on the side.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 18, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
I mean I honestly kinda get dax's point but he isn't explaining it very well and I'm enjoying the flailing.

Can you please explain at some point?  Cause I am completely lost.

I think his basic point is the South isn't meaningfully more racist than supposedly enlightened northern liberal cities. I mean there's a reason Michael Che called Boston the most racist city he's been and the Boston Globe did a huge series on how racist Boston is and why there is a Troost wall and extreme segregation in Chicago. (for example). I've said this before, but when I've been in the south I don't feel like whites are as "afraid" of blacks as they are in the North/Midwest. It feels like a more comfortable existence on the surface, even if there is some deep-seated hate there.

I'd also love to live in Asheville.

So is dax saying that Roy Moore would have won in a red state that is not in the south?

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 18, 2017, 08:22:27 PM »
dax acts as if redlining is an exclusively "northern" phenomenon, when in fact it's a vestige of jim crow.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #741 on: December 18, 2017, 09:09:34 PM »
The overarching point is saying "all of the south is racist" is as lazy of a stereotype as all the racist stereotypes.

Why that has to be explained in fine detail over several posts to the libtards proves just how dense and ignorant they are.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: December 18, 2017, 09:40:09 PM »
sorry about ur boi Roy Moore, FSD
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: December 18, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »
The overarching point is saying "all of the south is racist" is as lazy of a stereotype as all the racist stereotypes.

Why that has to be explained in fine detail over several posts to the libtards proves just how dense and ignorant they are.
I don't think anyone is saying the entire south or its population is racist, see Doug Jones, Klan prosecutor.  But to say the South doesn't have a serious problem with racism infecting the majority of the society on some level is a bridge that is pretty far.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 18, 2017, 10:40:19 PM »
Alabama literally just had a senate candidate that said life was best during slavery

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 18, 2017, 11:02:13 PM »
And he just barely lost.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: December 19, 2017, 05:52:42 AM »

okay buddy. 

I can agree to part of it.  You have a bigly blind spot for the rampant erosion of civil rights across the board though, see your comments on voter ID, education access and funding, and a few other issues.  Lets not make it seem like the South was actually Reconstructed like it should have been.  Sure white flight and gentrification are major issues (mostly defacto), but they don't hold a candle to the same old tricks from state legislatures using de jure power to keep people in their place. The fact there is a verified "black belt" with its legacy reaching directly back to slavery should be enough for you to back off this imported white flight being a major cause of issues and not icing on a rich slice of chocolate cake with two scoops on the side.

Once again your left to flail about regarding obvious things that are already understood. 

The simple fact that you by implication are saying that  gerrymandering is strictly a southern thing is laughable.  Again, reconcile yourself that right there in the Midwest are two of the most racially divided metropolitan areas in the United States (for example). That Boston is “the most racist city in the United States” (for example). 

I’ll have to find it again but the other day I just read a NYT’s op-ed discussing the black migration . . . South, out of NYC, and Northeastern cities. 

Eye test don’t lie.  Transplants to the South filling white flight suburbs, establishing their own little “towns” on the golf course and disrupting local highly integrated communities with their money and influence . . . and guard gates.   Again, now Southern cities face urban core gentrification issues driven almost exclusively by white folks, of which a vast majority are transplants. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 19, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
And he just barely lost.

And not even a little because of that.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 19, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »

okay buddy. 

Once again your left to flail about regarding obvious things that are already understood. 

The simple fact that you by implication are saying that  gerrymandering is strictly a southern thing is laughable.  Again, reconcile yourself that right there in the Midwest are two of the most racially divided metropolitan areas in the United States (for example). That Boston is “the most racist city in the United States” (for example). 

I’ll have to find it again but the other day I just read a NYT’s op-ed discussing the black migration . . . South, out of NYC, and Northeastern cities. 

Eye test don’t lie.  Transplants to the South filling white flight suburbs, establishing their own little “towns” on the golf course and disrupting local highly integrated communities with their money and influence . . . and guard gates.   Again, now Southern cities face urban core gentrification issues driven almost exclusively by white folks, of which a vast majority are transplants.

:lol: :lol: yes, tons of transplants are moving from the north to BATON ROUGE of all places, just so they can white flight their way out of there. :lol:

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 19, 2017, 12:31:35 PM »

When Kansas integrated its schools in 1904 err . . 1955 it was a great day.

They were still fighting and arguing about desegregation in KCMO into the 90's, and it went all the way to the Supreme Court.

Spending that much money in Kansas City is unfair to the rest of Missouri, the state will argue, and the expenditure is producing only slow progress.http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/11/us/kansas-city-s-widely-debated-desegregation-experiment-reaches-the-supreme-court.html?pagewanted=all

Why was it showing "slow progress"??  (Pro tip:  White Flight suburbia was just fine with their little enclaves and they weren't shipping their kid to KCMO, that's why).

I agree with much of the overall point you are trying to make here.

You do however lose me with the notion that Missouri is somehow part of the "North" in this discussion of vernacular regions.