Author Topic: Sky's the Limit  (Read 80000 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Sky's the Limit
« Reply #100 on: October 24, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »
Other than private/family stuff I can think of three possible reasons: (1) he saw Ertz go through the season and realized he’s gonna have to take a lot of punishment to play in our system, (2) he feels like he’s way better than Delton and if he’s not allowed to play now he never will be, or (3) he either knows or is convinced that Snyder is retiring.

I don’t see 1 being likely at all because you know what you’re getting in this system. 2 is possible, but if that’s really the case he probably is not as good as he thinks and won’t be that successful anywhere. 3 is also possible, but I think we’d hear a lot more rumblings if that were the case.

So I guess I really don’t have much reason to believe he actually would be transferring.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 24, 2017, 09:08:50 PM »
I don’t know why anyone would even consider transferring with the impending headset swap from bill to Sean. The sky’s the limit for sure
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2017, 10:48:13 PM »
Sky should transfer if he doesn't want to have multiple shoulder surgeries. If he is here next year he will start but in this type of offense he has no long term future. Our offense is total bullshit for a QB. If I was a parent there is no way in he'll I would let my kid come to KSU to play QB.

OU and UT run their QB's into the ground.

Don't know about OU but UT certainly does. I can't remember the last time an OU qb missed playing time with an injury.

Mayfield ran all over the place on saturday.  Basically if they needed a first he'd take the snap and go.

That's unique to Mayfield though, he's a scrambler, that isn't their offense. They aren't crashing him into line 20 times a game like we do. They aren't making fullbacks ram into his back. Mike and Ell didn't get hurt because we didn't run them that way either. Lbeaz didn't get hurt because he was a Sherman Tank.
Seems like I remember Ell getting hurt in '03.  Even missed a couple of games because of it?  :dunno:

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2017, 03:17:20 AM »
Sky should transfer if he doesn't want to have multiple shoulder surgeries. If he is here next year he will start but in this type of offense he has no long term future. Our offense is total bullshit for a QB. If I was a parent there is no way in he'll I would let my kid come to KSU to play QB.

Don't know about OU but UT certainly does. I can't remember the last time an OU qb missed playing time with an injury.

Mayfield ran all over the place on saturday.  Basically if they needed a first he'd take the snap and go.

That's unique to Mayfield though, he's a scrambler, that isn't their offense. They aren't crashing him into line 20 times a game like we do. They aren't making fullbacks ram into his back. Mike and Ell didn't get hurt because we didn't run them that way either. Lbeaz didn't get hurt because he was a Sherman Tank.

That's a really fair point. Running a QB into the line 30x a game like we're Navy/Air Force is way different than what Mayfield does when he's not winging it all over the field killing us and other teams.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2017, 07:48:43 AM »

Since we have no chance to do anything meaningful this season, I’m on board with this, although I still think Sky has the higher ceiling and should be starting for the same reasons.

This. Thompson has the broader skill set (can run and can make every throw) and a higher ceiling. Now that Ertz is out, not playing Thompson at all makes no sense. And he has been on campus for what, almost two years now? He knows enough to freakin' play.

Are posts like this based on the spring game or something?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:36 AM »
That was my thought as well. I think he may be decent, but I have no idea if he can make every throw. Fans always give back up QBs magical powers though.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
Schrödinger's pass

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »

Since we have no chance to do anything meaningful this season, I’m on board with this, although I still think Sky has the higher ceiling and should be starting for the same reasons.

This. Thompson has the broader skill set (can run and can make every throw) and a higher ceiling. Now that Ertz is out, not playing Thompson at all makes no sense. And he has been on campus for what, almost two years now? He knows enough to freakin' play.

Yes. The only data we really have to go off of.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2017, 10:01:05 AM »
Also, I’m situations like this I always favor the younger QB if he shows promise.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »

Seems like I remember Ell getting hurt in '03.  Even missed a couple of games because of it?  :dunno:

Oh man, duh, I'm dumb.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2017, 01:01:38 PM »
Lbeaz had shoulder problems but I don't think he missed any games

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »

Some high school games for each. I'm just saying Thompson is more of a pure QB. Nothing against Delton. The way this season has gone, if Thompson just stands on the sideline all year, it's effing stupid. Get him some snaps. Especially if we get any kind of lead in any remaining games, it makes total sense to work him in. But that probably won't happen.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:46 PM »
Sky looked good running the ball in live game action against ine of the first teams we played.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »

Oh man, duh, I'm dumb.
To be fair, your logic is still sound.  While Ell did get injured and the QB's did run the ball quite often, it was in a different scheme than what they do now.  They weren't just crashing into the middle of the line time and time again.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »
Ell played with a spaghetti shoulder in 03 and 02

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2017, 10:28:05 AM »
K-State QBs rushing attempts per game for their careers:

Matt Miller 11.7
Michael Bishop 10.6
Jonathan Beasley 8.1
Ell Roberson 14.7
Collin Klein 16.7
Jake Waters 10.5
Jesse Ertz 14.2

I know that the last 4 multi-year starters all had shoulder injuries of some sort. Dylan Meier did also, though he didn't run it as much.

Honestly, I don't think the opportunities for hits taken have changed much since Ell. The Bishop/Beasley teams were a little more selective with QB runs, but starting with Ell the QB run game became the feature part of the offense leading to the culmination of Collin Klein the battering ram. It tapered a bit with Waters (though he still played hurt) and then Ertz is supposed to be another Klein.

The Big Train

« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »

Matt Miller 11.7
Michael Bishop 10.6
Jonathan Beasley 8.1
Ell Roberson 14.7
Collin Klein 16.7
Jake Waters 10.5
Jesse Ertz 14.2

I know that the last 4 multi-year starters all had shoulder injuries of some sort. Dylan Meier did also, though he didn't run it as much.

Honestly, I don't think the opportunities for hits taken have changed much since Ell. The Bishop/Beasley teams were a little more selective with QB runs, but starting with Ell the QB run game became the feature part of the offense leading to the culmination of Collin Klein the battering ram. It tapered a bit with Waters (though he still played hurt) and then Ertz is supposed to be another Klein.

No QB stat is complete without including #MyGuy Joe Hieubenor. :curse:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »

Matt Miller 11.7
Michael Bishop 10.6
Jonathan Beasley 8.1
Ell Roberson 14.7
Collin Klein 16.7
Jake Waters 10.5
Jesse Ertz 14.2

No QB stat is complete without including #MyGuy Joe Hieubenor. :curse:

Would be interested to see what the average number of QB runs per snap taken by QBs would be.  That way you could include Sams. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »
QB runs per snap would be much better, but I don't have the time to research that.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
Schrödinger's pass

:lol:

It's clever, but then I'm like...wait, Schrödinger's Cat still works great here.

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »
QB runs per snap would be much better, but I don't have the time to research that.

Yeah, I hear ya. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

Offline EIGHTLUG

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2017, 10:44:01 AM »

Oh man, duh, I'm dumb.
To be fair, your logic is still sound.  While Ell did get injured and the QB's did run the ball quite often, it was in a different scheme than what they do now.  They weren't just crashing into the middle of the line time and time again.
ER3 injured his throwing hand against a helmet as he threw a pass. This was in the Marshall game. IMO, that totally changed the complexion of the entire season, if the B12CG were to play out to is 35-7 finish. I digress. But, to your point, not exactly an injury caused by our QB run scheme. Buy yes, we did run ER3 a lot.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2017, 12:23:38 PM »
It was 100% not in the Marshall game because he didn’t play that day

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
:excited: