Author Topic: Anyone Wanna Take Bets On Who Is Going To Jail Today?  (Read 57652 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Wanna Take Bets On Who Is Going To Jail Today?
« Reply #325 on: March 01, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »
Can’t wait for the FBI press conference rebuttal
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 01, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »
this is going to turn out very interesting.

if i was mark schlabach i'd be pretty nervous i got some bad information.

I think Miller likely did it and has nothing to lose by fighting it.  If it's true, he'll never coach NCAA ball again regardless of what he does now.  I know what they said about firing for cause in his contract but I don't think that's true.  His best bet is to show that he'll fight everything so he can get the best buyout possible in the end.

Offline 114Hickory

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 01, 2018, 04:49:46 PM »
Plausible deniability even if it's not really plausible is the recommended approach here.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 01, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
he’s innocent imo and I am basically a human lie detector so fwiw

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 01, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
i do find it interesting that Arizona's compliance department apparently has no problem playing ayton.

compare that with the bad timeline presented by Schlabach and all of a sudden miller's denials seem more plausible than they did a week ago.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 01, 2018, 05:53:28 PM »
i do find it interesting that Arizona's compliance department apparently has no problem playing ayton.

compare that with the bad timeline presented by Schlabach and all of a sudden miller's denials seem more plausible than they did a week ago.

should be a fun lawsuit

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 01, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
Well, somebody is lying.

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/969296965187133440

this is going to turn out very interesting.

if i was mark schlabach i'd be pretty nervous i got some bad information.

Schlabach didn't report either of the two things Miller denied doing. The report was that Miller was on tape discussing payment of $100,000 to Ayton. No one said that Miller paid anyone anything. Notice Miller didn't deny the existence of the phone call.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 01, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »
Miller is living on borrowed time. Those tapes exist, and he's gone whenever they enter the public record. Although I guess if everyone pleads out, they may never...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 01, 2018, 08:04:02 PM »
Man, Arizona does not GAF, they are leaning into the cheating, with a little help from the NCAA.

Allonzo Trier somehow cleared to play even though he gave the wackest excuse for a failed test ever.

On the same day as university officials announced they were retaining head coach Sean Miller, Arizona learned it would be getting one of its star players back too.

The NCAA cleared guard Allonzo Trier to play Thursday night against Stanford after he won his appeal seeking to invalidate a failed drug test.

Attorney Steve Thompson argued that traces of a banned substance found in Trier’s system in late January were actually remnants left over from when he first tested positive in 2016. Thompson told Yahoo Sports last Thursday that both Trier’s positive tests were for Ostarine, a chemical compound that mimics the muscle-building and fat-burning effects of anabolic steroids.

Trier avoided a season-long suspension last year by successfully arguing he had ingested Ostarine inadvertently before the 2016-17 season when his stepfather mixed it into a drink. He returned after 19 games last January because that was when tests showed the Ostarine he ingested had fully cleared his system.

“Allonzo has never been a drug-cheat, and the NCAA found in 2016 that he never took Ostarine intentionally,” Thompson told Yahoo Sports last week. “The experts tell us Ostarine can be stored in fatty tissues for a long time, and tests can be negative but then later be positive as the substance comes out.  The medical evidence also shows that the reappearance of a trace amount in his system now creates absolutely zero competitive advantage.”

Anti-doping experts who spoke to Yahoo Sports earlier this week questioned whether it was plausible for a detectable amount of Ostarine to stay in Trier’s system for well over a year. Don Catlin, founder and former director of the UCLA Olympic Analytical Laboratory, said it added to his skepticism that Trier passed multiple random drug screenings in between the NCAA lifting his suspension 13 months ago and his most recent positive test in late January.

“If the original positive finding was indeed due to inadvertent use of Ostarine in a drink provided by Trier’s father, as opposed to purposeful use of an Ostarine supplement by Trier, then it would be highly unlikely that he would test positive a year later from the original inadvertent use,” Catlin told Yahoo Sports. “Certainly a number of negative results in between support the conclusion that the most recent positive was not connected to the original inadvertent use.

“While hydration, which can affect pH of a urine sample, could be a factor and can influence results, it would not seem a very plausible explanation for a positive drug test occurring a year after inadvertent use of Ostarine. The pH of the negative samples in between could be compared to that of the original and recent positive to evaluate that further.”

Trier only missed two games while waiting for his appeal to be heard, a road win at Oregon State and a road loss at Oregon. Thursday’s decision ensures he will be back in uniform against Stanford as the Wildcats try to clinch a Pac-12 title and build momentum for the postseason.

Trier, Arizona’s second-leading scorer behind freshman Deandre Ayton, averages 19.6 points per game and shoots 43 percent from behind the arc. Trier was a preseason All-American and is likely to earn all-Pac-12 honors for the second straight season.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 01, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »
Yes, agreed Arizona knows exactly what they’re getting into. They’re gonna try to make their tourney run and when Miller gets busted they’re going to be “shocked” and “disappointed” to find out he was cheating.

I would not at all be surprised if Miller gets some bonuses based on performance that Arizona has no grounds to recover after the fact.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 01, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
lester earl didn’t even go to high school

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2018, 08:29:18 AM »
Schlabach didn't report either of the two things Miller denied doing. The report was that Miller was on tape discussing payment of $100,000 to Ayton. No one said that Miller paid anyone anything. Notice Miller didn't deny the existence of the phone call.

I don't know, man.  That's splitting some serious hairs.

Let me be very very clear: I have never discussed with Christian Dawkins paying Deandre Ayton to attend the University of Arizona. In fact, I never even met or spoke to Christian Dawkins until after Deandre publicly announced he was coming to our school. Any reporting to the contrary is inaccurate, false and defamatory.

I'm outraged by the media statements have been made and the acceptance by many that these statements were true. There was no such conversation.

http://tucson.com/news/local/read-the-full-transcript-of-arizona-coach-sean-miller-s/article_49cac6ec-1d95-11e8-b3d9-bb9e9ee6eece.html

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 02, 2018, 08:35:16 AM »
This thing is getting pretty muddy.  SI and 247 are claiming sources saying the story from Schlabach is inaccurate, but ESPN is doubling down it.

As Arizona coach Sean Miller forcibly professed his innocence on Thursday in a statement that affirmed his status with the team, a source familiar with the college hoops corruption investigation confirmed with SI that the details of a wiretapped phone call involving Miller were inaccurately reported in a story by ESPN that said Miller “discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats.”

According to the source, relevant FBI wiretaps in the investigation did not begin until 2017—months after five-star recruit Deandre Ayton had already committed to Arizona in Sept. 2016. This account is consistent with reporting by Evan Daniels of 247Sports. The recruitment of Ayton, therefore, would have not been at issue in an intercepted phone call that occurred in 2017. To that end, the source told SI what Miller clarified for the first time Thursday: Ayton is not the player on whose behalf former ASM Sports employee Christian Dawkins allegedly sought a payment from Miller, and Miller never pursued paying or made any payments to a recruit associated with Dawkins.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/arizona-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-espn-report

The Arizona-ESPN saga is continuing to heat up, and shortly after Arizona’s Sean Miller vehemently castigated ESPN’s reporting, the Worldwide Leader doubled down on its initial scoop that Miller had knowingly violated NCAA rules.

https://deadspin.com/espn-retracts-correction-in-sean-miller-wiretap-story-1823440125

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 02, 2018, 09:20:36 AM »
yeah i don't know if miller did anything wrong or not, but i think it's clear that ESPN's reporting on this was pretty pretty shaky.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 02, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
This thing is getting pretty muddy.  SI and 247 are claiming sources saying the story from Schlabach is inaccurate, but ESPN is doubling down it.

As Arizona coach Sean Miller forcibly professed his innocence on Thursday in a statement that affirmed his status with the team, a source familiar with the college hoops corruption investigation confirmed with SI that the details of a wiretapped phone call involving Miller were inaccurately reported in a story by ESPN that said Miller “discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats.”

According to the source, relevant FBI wiretaps in the investigation did not begin until 2017—months after five-star recruit Deandre Ayton had already committed to Arizona in Sept. 2016. This account is consistent with reporting by Evan Daniels of 247Sports. The recruitment of Ayton, therefore, would have not been at issue in an intercepted phone call that occurred in 2017. To that end, the source told SI what Miller clarified for the first time Thursday: Ayton is not the player on whose behalf former ASM Sports employee Christian Dawkins allegedly sought a payment from Miller, and Miller never pursued paying or made any payments to a recruit associated with Dawkins.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/03/01/arizona-sean-miller-deandre-ayton-espn-report

The Arizona-ESPN saga is continuing to heat up, and shortly after Arizona’s Sean Miller vehemently castigated ESPN’s reporting, the Worldwide Leader doubled down on its initial scoop that Miller had knowingly violated NCAA rules.

https://deadspin.com/espn-retracts-correction-in-sean-miller-wiretap-story-1823440125

Okay so... Miller was wiretapped discussing payment of $100,000 to a player, but that player wasn't Ayton? Or am I inaccurately reading between the lines there?

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 03, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
yeah i don't know if miller did anything wrong or not, but i think it's clear that ESPN's reporting on this was pretty pretty shaky.

They reported the wiretap, he still hasn't denied the existence of the wiretap.

Okay so... Miller was wiretapped discussing payment of $100,000 to a player, but that player wasn't Ayton? Or am I inaccurately reading between the lines there?

That looks like the most likely scenario, although I'm willing to bet Ayton was mentioned in the course of the conversation.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 03, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
Also, just because he was committed doesn't mean Miller didn't want/need to pay him

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 03, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »

That looks like the most likely scenario, although I'm willing to bet Ayton was mentioned in the course of the conversation.
They reported a wire tap discussing a payment to Ayton that occurred in the spring of 2017, then corrected it to say spring of 2016.  Then corrected that to just say sometime in 2016.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 03, 2018, 04:10:21 PM »

They reported a wire tap discussing a payment to Ayton that occurred in the spring of 2017, then corrected it to say spring of 2016.  Then corrected that to just say sometime in 2016.

No, the second correction affirmed the initial report. Either way, when the call happened is literally the least important element of the report.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2018, 12:04:38 PM »

No, the second correction affirmed the initial report. Either way, when the call happened is literally the least important element of the report.
They corrected the story and changed the date twice. 

And when the call happened is very important.  If Ayton signed his LOI to Arizona before any of the wiretapping actually occurred, it raises some questions about the story. 

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 05, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
There are a lot of points I can contradict here but I'll stick with the simplest one. Ayton signing his LOI has no effect, at all, whether or not Dawkins and/or Miller felt they needed to pay him to keep him at Arizona. That payment could have been made to give him some money to stop him from playing in Europe or Asia.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 05, 2018, 07:12:16 PM »
I agree with MIR, everyone is getting so caught up on WHEN the call took place but the fact that it took place at all is what should be the focus

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #347 on: March 05, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
Odds are the supposed wire tap is completely made up.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 05, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
Odds are the supposed wire tap is completely made up.

Would you like to bet, loser leaves the board, that it isn't?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 06, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
 :ohno: