Author Topic: Signs of getting old  (Read 90753 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Signs of getting old
« Reply #775 on: February 16, 2021, 06:09:34 AM »
40 :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: February 16, 2021, 09:25:10 AM »
Pete how do you feel about bops

How is it used?  I don’t think I have heard this yet.
It's to describe a catchy song. Kind of like banger but a little different

imho if i were describing a song i really liked i would call it a banger. but then if i heard a catchy song i wasn't familiar with, or if it wasn't a full song but more just like a snip like in a tiktok video or something, i'd be like "oh that's a bop!"

Offline Jobu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: February 16, 2021, 11:30:16 AM »
I just got done snowblowing my driveway.  My back hurts now.

Need to do my mother in law's later.  Guessing my back will be hurting worse later.
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh and I will cry.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: February 16, 2021, 11:38:04 AM »
I'm all in on bops

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #779 on: February 16, 2021, 05:41:25 PM »
The way I feel right now after shovelling snow for 2+ hours.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: February 17, 2021, 08:42:12 AM »
I have two teens, and I am resisting the adoption of some of the new lingo.   My kids, probably just to humor me, do not use much of the new lingo at home with me, but I hear their friends use it, so I know that they must use it to.  Many of these make me very uncomfortable.  Some examples include, but are not limited to:

- low key:  This was used frequently by old people before being adopted by young people.  The old people would use it to describe a quiet function, for example.  Now it seems to be used interchangeably with "kind of" or "sort of." This one probably should not bother me, because "kind of" and "sort of" aren't very pretty phrases themselves.

- a minute:  Used interchangeably with "a while."  I detest this one, and hate even more that I will probably end up using it someday.  Crap.

- extra:  Used interchangeable with "overkill," or "over the top."  Again, I shouldn't really complain about this one, because it's no worse than the phrases it replaces, but change is hard.

- wait:  Used to start an interjection where you ask someone to clarify something.  It has always been used this way, but was formerly limited to higher priority items.  Now it seems to be used by young people to start any sort of clarifying interjection.  "Wait, what flavor of jelly do you have?"

- basic:  Mostly a negative description of something simple or plain.  I refuse to use this. 

- slaps:  "Good," "Excellent," "Terrific."  I come from a generation that started using the word "Bad" to mean good, so I shouldn't bitch about this one. Still doesn't sit right with me tho.

- banger:  "good song."  Might be applied to more than songs, but that's all I have heard it used to describe.  Meh, I don't hate it, but would feel silly using it. I will probably adopt this one before the others on this list tho.

There are loads of others, but this is all I can think of right now.

-

Are your kids in their mid-thirties?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 17, 2021, 05:44:23 PM »
I have two teens, and I am resisting the adoption of some of the new lingo.   My kids, probably just to humor me, do not use much of the new lingo at home with me, but I hear their friends use it, so I know that they must use it to.  Many of these make me very uncomfortable.  Some examples include, but are not limited to:

- low key:  This was used frequently by old people before being adopted by young people.  The old people would use it to describe a quiet function, for example.  Now it seems to be used interchangeably with "kind of" or "sort of." This one probably should not bother me, because "kind of" and "sort of" aren't very pretty phrases themselves.

- a minute:  Used interchangeably with "a while."  I detest this one, and hate even more that I will probably end up using it someday.  Crap.

- extra:  Used interchangeable with "overkill," or "over the top."  Again, I shouldn't really complain about this one, because it's no worse than the phrases it replaces, but change is hard.

- wait:  Used to start an interjection where you ask someone to clarify something.  It has always been used this way, but was formerly limited to higher priority items.  Now it seems to be used by young people to start any sort of clarifying interjection.  "Wait, what flavor of jelly do you have?"

- basic:  Mostly a negative description of something simple or plain.  I refuse to use this. 

- slaps:  "Good," "Excellent," "Terrific."  I come from a generation that started using the word "Bad" to mean good, so I shouldn't bitch about this one. Still doesn't sit right with me tho.

- banger:  "good song."  Might be applied to more than songs, but that's all I have heard it used to describe.  Meh, I don't hate it, but would feel silly using it. I will probably adopt this one before the others on this list tho.

-

wut?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 17, 2021, 09:02:27 PM »
No crap! What are you talking about, Rage? :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 17, 2021, 11:17:49 PM »

-

LOL, right? I'm in my mid 40's and say literally everything on that list, some of them like "minute" for decades.

I low key have been using this Kroll Show "wait, what" gif on this board for a hot minute. It's one of my favorites, no cap.

Tell me that isn't a sentence you've read me type a million times. I also spend a crap load of time on social media and virtually no time on facebook, so I'm generally current on slang. There's some dumb kiddie show that uses the phrase sus, and they don't use it correctly and like a bunch of kids under their early 20's misuse it. I'm kinda okay with it though because the first usage of sus is kind of mumped up.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 17, 2021, 11:29:53 PM »
No cap, Pete is sus

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 18, 2021, 12:14:08 AM »
All of those are garbage slang terms. Bangers is fine.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 18, 2021, 12:14:55 AM »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 18, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »
My younger friend says bet all the time. “Let’s go do something” “bet bet”

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 18, 2021, 08:51:34 AM »

-

LOL, right? I'm in my mid 40's and say literally everything on that list, some of them like "minute" for decades.

I low key have been using this Kroll Show "wait, what" gif on this board for a hot minute. It's one of my favorites, no cap.

Tell me that isn't a sentence you've read me type a million times. I also spend a crap load of time on social media and virtually no time on facebook, so I'm generally current on slang. There's some dumb kiddie show that uses the phrase sus, and they don't use it correctly and like a bunch of kids under their early 20's misuse it. I'm kinda okay with it though because the first usage of sus is kind of mumped up.

Yeah, "that song slaps" seems like something my dad might say, but most of the rest of the list seems like normal lingo to me and I'm in my mid-thirties. "Basic" is a few years younger than me and I hate that one, though.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 18, 2021, 08:54:30 AM »

-

yep... I'm 33 and I use some of those, and they are all used by peers.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 18, 2021, 10:44:01 AM »
in hindsight i realize michigancat was pulling our legs when he said he'd never heard "wait" before

Offline Jobu

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 18, 2021, 11:19:32 AM »
2 more god damn inches of snow.  More shoveling and snow blowing.

I am honestly too old for this crap. My back hurts, guys.
Make a joke and I will sigh, and you will laugh and I will cry.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:32 PM »
I have had terrible neck issues since August.  Have been going to a chiropractor who just keeps telling me to ice it and use tens treatment on it which is a huge PITA. It will feel ok for a while but I'll sleep wrong one night and it's bad again.

It's from between my shoulder blades to the base of my neck! 

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 18, 2021, 03:16:55 PM »
I have had terrible neck issues since August.  Have been going to a chiropractor who just keeps telling me to ice it and use tens treatment on it which is a huge PITA. It will feel ok for a while but I'll sleep wrong one night and it's bad again.

yo dawg thats whack

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 18, 2021, 06:31:01 PM »
I’m three episodes into Wandavision and I have no idea what I’m watching.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 18, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »
Wanda created the universe for them to hide out

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #796 on: February 18, 2021, 06:46:16 PM »

Get that buckwheat pillow!

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 18, 2021, 07:32:37 PM »

quit going to a chiropractor and go to a real doctor, I. have a orthopedic doctor that I can recommendo in leawood

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 18, 2021, 07:39:46 PM »
No cap, Pete is sus

Sus is great.

The origins of that slang word was used to describe a hetero male who may be closeted. It's used widely now to describe something suspicious, but when I first saw it like five years ago, it was short for suspect.

Literally, as I type this my 12 year old and my wife are talking about the word simp. My kid is misusing the word, like all kids do, and my wife has no idea what a simp is.  :facepalm:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 18, 2021, 07:43:23 PM »
simp is at least 30 years old

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.