Author Topic: Favorite K-State Writer of all time? - It's Jmart, leader of Rivals.com K-State  (Read 144822 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why'd Fitz lay D off?

They're broke, like everyone else in sports media.

Was this a planned-out thing for some time, like D.Scott had a contract running through September but it was known for a while that it wouldn't be renewed?  Strange timing to assume there's no revenue to justify the employee when football is now actually happening and KSU fans are excited about it this week.

If it was just about being broke, Fitz should've furloughed him (or negotiated some adjustment to any contract) that would have D not working from April through when football was back, and then tried to sell more business with the combo of "football and D.Scott's stories are back!"  Or get even cheaper/free student labor and cut D's salary and see if it gets better.

They've been losing money for years and you know that. I don't know the specifics of fitz's books, but I'm guessing that it just became untenable to keep him on. Scott has been working for him for what I believe is 22 years, longer than Scott has been married and longer than his daughter has been alive. It's safe Fitz did what he could to keep Scott. My guess is that he was hoping to get enough subs once football season started to keep Scott, but a month in there hasn't been a turnaround so we're left here. I'm guessing the only reason he's still in that office in Poyntz is because of the lease.

I literally can't think of one single pay model in sports media doing well. The Athletic laid off 1/4 of their staff last summer, sports are back, those writers aren't.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, a lot of covid shamers who told everyone to stay in until the end of time, are learning the consequences. Everyone is hurting and it’s best not to follow their lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, a lot of covid shamers who told everyone to stay in until the end of time, are learning the consequences. Everyone is hurting and it’s best not to follow their lead.

Man, don't start with that. GPC specifically and sports media in general have been hemorrhaging money for a decade. Wanna blame something for DSF losing his job? Blame the internet.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Fair.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Why'd Fitz lay D off?

Was this a planned-out thing for some time, like D.Scott had a contract running through September but it was known for a while that it wouldn't be renewed?  Strange timing to assume there's no revenue to justify the employee when football is now actually happening and KSU fans are excited about it this week.

If it was just about being broke, Fitz should've furloughed him (or negotiated some adjustment to any contract) that would have D not working from April through when football was back, and then tried to sell more business with the combo of "football and D.Scott's stories are back!"  Or get even cheaper/free student labor and cut D's salary and see if it gets better.

They've been losing money for years and you know that. I don't know the specifics of fitz's books, but I'm guessing that it just became untenable to keep him on. Scott has been working for him for what I believe is 22 years, longer than Scott has been married and longer than his daughter has been alive. It's safe Fitz did what he could to keep Scott. My guess is that he was hoping to get enough subs once football season started to keep Scott, but a month in there hasn't been a turnaround so we're left here. I'm guessing the only reason he's still in that office in Poyntz is because of the lease.

I literally can't think of one single pay model in sports media doing well. The Athletic laid off 1/4 of their staff last summer, sports are back, those writers aren't.

Laying him off won't solve Fitz's money problem unless the handful of people paying him really are doing so just to privately talk to each other.  But I think there was a difference between the gpc base as it relates to them liking D.Scott's work about KSU vs. normal people liking sports and wanting to read things about sports but being largely indifferent to who wrote the things.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Why'd Fitz lay D off?

Laying him off won't solve Fitz's money problem unless the handful of people paying him really are doing so just to privately talk to each other.  But I think there was a difference between the gpc base as it relates to them liking D.Scott's work about KSU vs. normal people liking sports and wanting to read things about sports but being largely indifferent to who wrote the things.

Agreed, I never subscribed to GPC but enjoyed reading his articles from time to time. How long until we lose kellis/etc? You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why'd Fitz lay D off?

Of course it isn't going to solve fitz's money issues. Are you proposing that fitz just stop paying him while expecting DSF to come to work? He can't pay the man, and he's paying three different people part time wages to cover recruiting and go to press conferences. I'm willing to bet those three part timers make a whole lot less than the one full timer who's been full time for 22 years. He had to be making a minimum of $45,000.

I guess I'm missing your point.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
That Rowdy guy really hates our guy Greg btw.
Yuh bunch a friggin weirdos man. I bring good points then they lay the pipe. They hate us cause they ain’t us.

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why'd Fitz lay D off?

Of course it isn't going to solve fitz's money issues. Are you proposing that fitz just stop paying him while expecting DSF to come to work? He can't pay the man, and he's paying three different people part time wages to cover recruiting and go to press conferences. I'm willing to bet those three part timers make a whole lot less than the one full timer who's been full time for 22 years. He had to be making a minimum of $45,000.

I think he’d have a better chance of surviving, albeit still small, if he paid nobody else and cut D.Scott’s pay in half and hoped like hell that KSU football wins a lot and people pay to read D.Scott wax on about it.

Or maybe a more dignified thing to do would be to dip and let D.Scott take over the biz and see if he can salvage it.

This move seems shitty, late, and fruitless.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Why'd Fitz lay D off?

I think he’d have a better chance of surviving, albeit still small, if he paid nobody else and cut D.Scott’s pay in half and hoped like hell that KSU football wins a lot and people pay to read D.Scott wax on about it.

Or maybe a more dignified thing to do would be to dip and let D.Scott take over the biz and see if he can salvage it.

This move seems shitty, late, and fruitless.
I would agree, retire and let D.Scott give it a whirl.

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Why are gE numbers down right now? Doesn’t take a rocket science to understand sports blogs are down during a pandemic, especially ones you have to pay for.

Wait, we have “numbers”?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Trim’s lack of business knowledge is frightening.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Honestly, D. Scott would be perfect for the KState Sports extra writer job that Corbin McGuire does (did?). Problem is that job is typically given to a recent Cats grad and I’m guessing the pay is reflective of that.

Edit: Looks like Corbin has moved on to a communications role with the NCAA.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There are zero sports writers roles for D Scott in MHK that could even come close to what he was making over all these years. He’ll have to go National if he wants to keep writing or get a normal job.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
D might need to pivot to something else. Maybe he could study landscape architecture at K-State. That would be cool.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the university is obviously in a very dire financial situation but I wonder if there would be a spot for him writing for them at some point. like nostalgic/retrospective stuff for alumni newsletters and things like that.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
how many people has gE.c quietly laid off over the last 6 months? i mean sure, outwardly steve dave is a hunky dad who is good at credit cards and disney world, but make no mistake he is a shrewd business man and he's not afraid to make the tough decisions

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
In other news, my lazy ass really needs to cancel my GPC membership. I justified my laziness by telling myself I wanted to keep D. in a job. I’ve paid $10/month for their service for like a year now only because I’m too lazy to call and cancel.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Well I fired Chingon for sure. But that was unrelated to Covid.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
the university is obviously in a very dire financial situation but I wonder if there would be a spot for him writing for them at some point. like nostalgic/retrospective stuff for alumni newsletters and things like that.

Nah, go on his own post-‘chip with unsanctioned KSU historical bus tours, from a D.Scott perspective.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
He could also quickly maga grift while the brands are still hot.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Trim’s lack of business knowledge is frightening.

Nope, he's right about Fitz retiring and letting DSF run the business. Fitz can't go to games, or do much of anything outside of home. I'm guessing the only thing preventing Fitz from doing that is that he's too young to get Medicare and Social Security and he needs the health insurance.

Paying Scott half of what he makes is a non starter for two reasons. Primarily, he can make more than that on unemployment. Secondarily, 247 and Rivals are recruiting sites first, Scott can't do that, the wedding DJamer is much more important to the business model.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
What is d Scott really good at for real?  I didn’t subscribe to GPC in its hay day so not sure what his role is but I assume he is pretty damn good at long form writing.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
What is d Scott really good at for real?  I didn’t subscribe to GPC in its hay day so not sure what his role is but I assume he is pretty damn good at long form writing.
Yes, he is good at storytelling

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Yes, he is good at storytelling

Very good imo.