Author Topic: Later Stoops  (Read 29443 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: Later Stoops
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2017, 06:58:05 PM »
How the hell did they sneak this past ok_cat?!
He did pretty much confirm Gottleb at Oklahoma State, so...

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2017, 07:02:26 PM »
i think we can all agree that the pressure and time crunch were too much for troubledscribe re: thread title

Like you could do better
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »
Merv was also their radio color guy for almost 20 years.  He's like StanBot, except if Stan also coached almost 20 year, including an NC & was DoFO for 14 years as well.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2017, 07:09:47 PM »

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
HC - Stoops
OC - Kliff
DC - Venables

Who's in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2017, 02:33:41 AM »
HC - Stoops
OC - Kliff
DC - Venables

Who's in?

No.  Not gonna happen anyways, but no. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
Couple of thoughts:

1.  Hiring Lincoln Riley is a stupid, stupid move.  He's inexperienced and a complete unknown commodity.  Maybe he'll work out, maybe he won't.  And that's the problem.  OU is comfortably a top 10 coaching job, and they can afford to go out and hire someone with a proven track record.  Make Chip Kelly an $8m/year offer.  Hell, take a run at Dabo.  OU can do that stuff.  Instead, we're playing the "wait and see" game with a 33 year old first-year head coach who has had less time as a P5 coordinator than Ron Prince when K-State hired him.
I can definitely see your reasoning, but the last person to have HCing experience before landing the job at OU was Howard Schnellenberger.  I think they are more concerned about not making the same mistake after Switzer left.

You mean like promoting assistant coach Gary Gibbs?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oklahoma_Sooners_head_football_coaches

Gary Gibbs who never had a losing season and was fired and replaced by a .500 coach (Schnellenberger)?  That mistake?

Blake was the mistake.  Gibbs was fine.

Either way your post doesn't make any sense.  If Gibbs was the mistake made after Switzer retired, then Riley looks like the same damn thing.

The real question is will you guys fire Riley after four or five sorta meh seasons and replace him with a washed up alcoholic who tanks the program then replace him with an incompetent buffoon?  Only time will tell...
This is interesting coming from most fans who are chiming for Venables to be the successor of Snyder.  How does it not make sense?  Lincoln Riley was vetted by Stoops, Castiglione and Boren after his first season in Norman.  This was not a spur of the moment decision.  The fans are shocked by Stoops' decision, but they are (as one fan put it on talk radio this morning) stoked about OU's future under Riley. 

Gary Gibbs was smart but had no charisma and questionable leadership abilities; Blake had great charisma and was a great recruiter.  It should not be forgotten that Stoops won his only national championship with Blake teams.  Schnelly could not repeat what he started in Miami.  Every successful coach to come through Norman had no HC experience except Schnellenberger. 

The choice of Lincoln Riley makes perfect sense.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:23:41 AM by Functianalyst »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2017, 08:29:36 AM »
^^^ i knew this guy was an OU fan all along.  he's a huge joe mixon fan too.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
More like incestanalyst
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
functyoursisteranallyst

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
Couple of thoughts:

1.  Hiring Lincoln Riley is a stupid, stupid move.  He's inexperienced and a complete unknown commodity.  Maybe he'll work out, maybe he won't.  And that's the problem.  OU is comfortably a top 10 coaching job, and they can afford to go out and hire someone with a proven track record.  Make Chip Kelly an $8m/year offer.  Hell, take a run at Dabo.  OU can do that stuff.  Instead, we're playing the "wait and see" game with a 33 year old first-year head coach who has had less time as a P5 coordinator than Ron Prince when K-State hired him.
I can definitely see your reasoning, but the last person to have HCing experience before landing the job at OU was Howard Schnellenberger.  I think they are more concerned about not making the same mistake after Switzer left.

You mean like promoting assistant coach Gary Gibbs?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oklahoma_Sooners_head_football_coaches

Gary Gibbs who never had a losing season and was fired and replaced by a .500 coach (Schnellenberger)?  That mistake?

Blake was the mistake.  Gibbs was fine.

Either way your post doesn't make any sense.  If Gibbs was the mistake made after Switzer retired, then Riley looks like the same damn thing.

The real question is will you guys fire Riley after four or five sorta meh seasons and replace him with a washed up alcoholic who tanks the program then replace him with an incompetent buffoon?  Only time will tell...

Gary Gibbs went 2-15-1 against the three best teams in the Big 8 in the 6 years he was at OU. That performance against teams that matter will get any coach fired from any program. If Lincoln Riley goes 2-7 against OSU, UT, and KSU his first three years his seat will be burning hot and it should be.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:23 AM »
I love Kobe, and I especially love that gif.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2017, 08:57:34 AM »
Gary Gibbs was an incredibly weird situation as well.  Everyone else I the program wanted Merv.  Switzer openly wanted Merv.  There was uneasiness about giving a resigned Switzer's right hand man the HC job, but not enough to outright fire him.  Gibbs kept him on staff, which was very strange.

There are a lot of differences between this & Gibbs.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »
Riley may turn out to be a stud but OU is a top 10 job.  They could've hired a more proven commodity if given a proper offseason

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:25 AM »
oh great more Merv talk  :'bye cruel world:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »
Riley may turn out to be a stud but OU is a top 10 job.  They could've hired a more proven commodity if given a proper offseason

Les Miles would have been fun.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
Hey guys I have some pretty good sources that say OU is going to hire gottlieb asap

Online Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
They should have given Howard Schnellenberger another run at it.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
oh great more Merv talk  :'bye cruel world:

If you want to bring up Gibbs, you have to include the guy the widely popular previous coach was openly campaigning for.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2017, 09:54:33 AM »

I'd bet there are proven coaches they could get right now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2017, 10:02:25 AM »

I'd bet there are proven coaches they could get right now.
Exactly.  That's my only issue.  This hire might make sense for a less established team.  He may be a wunderkind, but who knows? 

Comparing this 33 year old to someone with as much experience as Venables is ridiculous.  Just a small-timey move.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:14:49 AM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2017, 10:11:07 AM »
I just can't move past the Merv thing.

Stoops: "I think I'm going to announce my resignation"
AD: "Hold tight, Merv gets the spotlight for a while. You can retire in June"

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
They could get a more proven coach than Riley but they would still be out of the running for the elite coaches.  I think the smart play is to keep continuity for a team that can potentially compete for a title.  At least if Riley loses 3 games, they can kick his ass to the curb and call the elite guys in the offseason. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
I personally think that taking a chance on Riley is worth it.

I don't think they really had any other choice given the timing, and thus I believe it was planned all along, and was done this way so as to alleviate an even bigger meltdown by OU fans. 

I believe OU is hoping that this means they'll have a HC for decades.  It's a gamble for sure.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2017, 10:58:03 AM »
Imagine Lincoln trying to tell Mike what to do and how to do it.