Author Topic: Later Stoops  (Read 29446 times)

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Later Stoops
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
What If OU gets better without Bob? :sdeek:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 03:20:59 PM »
i mean no healthy coach quits a major program 2 months before the season starts right?    If he's healthy, I hope he had life insurance on her.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 03:21:24 PM »

exactly what Texas thought about Mack!

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 03:21:42 PM »

Big Game Lincoln doesn't roll off the tongue does it

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
Like my brother-in-law just said, he's either sick or about to get caught.
Neither.  Stoops had said for some time that he wanted to spend some time with his boys who graduated from high school this year.  He tried to announce it during the spring football game, but did not want to overshadow Merv Johnson's retirement.  With baseball and softball, Stoops held off as well. 

Not a health issue or problems in the program.  He just did not want to end up like his dad from what is being reported on the local radio here.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »
sounds like Urban Meyer a little, but they just can't get rid of that itch to coach.

see you back in MHK Stoops, your sons are good enough to get scholies here!  leave your drunk brother tho, and pick up Venzy in your Benzy.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »
Looks like Bob is just your average Baby Boomer parent.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2017, 03:44:22 PM »
Tophawk36
X
Head Coach
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
37513 posts this site
Re: Bob Stoops Retiring Immediately
2:10 PM
(6 votes)

Weird timing. Maybe he got tired of covering up for all the thugs that program has had over the years. Oh well.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
Jhawkin27
X
All Conference
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
8757 posts this site
Re: Bob Stoops Retiring Immediately
2:34 PM
(1 vote)

They can do 1000X better but Id laugh if venables went there and KSU lost "their guy".

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2017, 03:51:30 PM »
I think people are under estimating Lincoln Riley.  He is 33, and a heck of a coach.  Local sports here in Oklahoma is indicating that Lincoln Riley was pretty much being groomed after Herman left Houston since Riley was the first person they looked at.

Sounds like this was planned out sometime ago, even at the end of last season, but was kept under wraps

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
How the hell did they sneak this past ok_cat?!
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 04:04:25 PM »
Neither.  Stoops had said for some time that he wanted to spend some time with his boys who graduated from high school this year.  He tried to announce it during the spring football game, but did not want to overshadow Merv Johnson's retirement.  With baseball and softball, Stoops held off as well. 

Not a health issue or problems in the program.  He just did not want to end up like his dad from what is being reported on the local radio here.

what does Merv Johnson have to do with anything

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 04:06:55 PM »
It would be really weird to wait until June to retire so as not to overshadow the assistant AD or whatever Merv Johnson is. That makes no sense.

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 04:09:29 PM »

If you are asking, then I guess you are not aware of who he is? 

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208803511

Merv Johnson announced his retirement during the spring football game.   He was under Barry Switzer.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:12:56 PM by Functianalyst »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 04:09:52 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

1.  Hiring Lincoln Riley is a stupid, stupid move.  He's inexperienced and a complete unknown commodity.  Maybe he'll work out, maybe he won't.  And that's the problem.  OU is comfortably a top 10 coaching job, and they can afford to go out and hire someone with a proven track record.  Make Chip Kelly an $8m/year offer.  Hell, take a run at Dabo.  OU can do that stuff.  Instead, we're playing the "wait and see" game with a 33 year old first-year head coach who has had less time as a P5 coordinator than Ron Prince when K-State hired him.

2.  Notwithstanding this good news for teams like K-State, I will miss Bob.  He was always a great ambassador for the Big 12, even (especially) during the dicey periods.  Even at 58 or whatever, he was an elder statesman.  Hated his guts back when 98 was still fresh, but I've grown to really respect him. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2017, 04:21:51 PM »

Merv Johnson announced his retirement during the spring football game.   He was under Barry Switzer.

So your head football coach bases his retirement timing around a retired assistant from the 1980s? That doesn't strike you as odd?

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

1.  Hiring Lincoln Riley is a stupid, stupid move.  He's inexperienced and a complete unknown commodity.  Maybe he'll work out, maybe he won't.  And that's the problem.  OU is comfortably a top 10 coaching job, and they can afford to go out and hire someone with a proven track record.  Make Chip Kelly an $8m/year offer.  Hell, take a run at Dabo.  OU can do that stuff.  Instead, we're playing the "wait and see" game with a 33 year old first-year head coach who has had less time as a P5 coordinator than Ron Prince when K-State hired him.
I can definitely see your reasoning, but the last person to have HCing experience before landing the job at OU was Howard Schnellenberger.  I think they are more concerned about not making the same mistake after Switzer left.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2017, 04:22:50 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

2.  Notwithstanding this good news for teams like K-State, I will miss Bob.  He was always a great ambassador for the Big 12, even (especially) during the dicey periods.  Even at 58 or whatever, he was an elder statesman.  Hated his guts back when 98 was still fresh, but I've grown to really respect him.
Lincoln Riley has to be essentially an interim hire unless he wins the conference, right? I don't think he would've got the job if Stoops announced at the end of a season. 

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2017, 04:28:25 PM »

So your head football coach bases his retirement timing around a retired assistant from the 1980s? That doesn't strike you as odd?
More than just that but Stoops has never been a spotlight type guy.  He is like LHCBS in that way.  Besides during this entire time, David Boren and Joe Castiglione were trying to talk Stoops out of it.  He assured them the program is in great hands, unlike when Switzer left.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 04:32:39 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

Lincoln Riley has to be essentially an interim hire unless he wins the conference, right? I don't think he would've got the job if Stoops announced at the end of a season.
totally agree and the Riley hire tells me it was 100% health related.  The story is Bob's dad collapsed on the sideline while coaching a HS game at the age of 54 and died on the way to the hospital - my money is on Bob's doctors saw something they didn't like and he pulled the rip cord

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2017, 04:33:30 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

Like I said earlier, I think people are under estimating this guy.  I expect him to do more than just win conference championships with the recruitment classes they have. 

What I do wonder is just how long Mike Stoops lasts and if Lincoln tries to get Venables back to Norman.

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

totally agree and the Riley hire tells me it was 100% health related.  The story is Bob's dad collapsed on the sideline while coaching a HS game at the age of 54 and died on the way to the hospital - my money is on Bob's doctors saw something they didn't like and he pulled the rip cord
Well unless he is lying (and why would he), Stoops has already announced that it's not health related, when that rumor started.  Press conference will be at 5:30.  Thought I was going to be bored until the season starts, but there will be plenty of discussion in Oklahoma the rest of the summer.  I love it, Sooner Nation is about to go into cardiac arrest.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2017, 04:45:40 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

Well unless he is lying (and why would he), Stoops has already announced that it's not health related, when that rumor started.  Press conference will be at 5:30.  Thought I was going to be bored until the season starts, but there will be plenty of discussion in Oklahoma the rest of the summer.  I love it, Sooner Nation is about to go into cardiac arrest.

I see what you did there. Health issue confirmed.

Online passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2017, 05:21:35 PM »
Couple of thoughts:

I can definitely see your reasoning, but the last person to have HCing experience before landing the job at OU was Howard Schnellenberger.  I think they are more concerned about not making the same mistake after Switzer left.

You mean like promoting assistant coach Gary Gibbs?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oklahoma_Sooners_head_football_coaches

Gary Gibbs who never had a losing season and was fired and replaced by a .500 coach (Schnellenberger)?  That mistake?

Blake was the mistake.  Gibbs was fine.

Either way your post doesn't make any sense.  If Gibbs was the mistake made after Switzer retired, then Riley looks like the same damn thing.

The real question is will you guys fire Riley after four or five sorta meh seasons and replace him with a washed up alcoholic who tanks the program then replace him with an incompetent buffoon?  Only time will tell...

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2017, 05:41:03 PM »
i think we can all agree that the pressure and time crunch were too much for troubledscribe re: thread title